Sun, Sep 22, 4:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:04 pm)

Subject: Wow what did I do wrong on this image?

Vile ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 7:02 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:27 PM

file_416658.jpg

Did I post it at the wrong time? Or is it just not a good image? I can't believe this is my least popular image?

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1771744

Vile ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 7:03 PM

I usually don't use poser figures and I don't do painting this is the most complex clothing painting I have ever done, yet there were only 33 views? Suck ola LOL So I am curious as to what I could have done differently other than making him naked LOL

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 7:08 PM

It's a well-done image...but, are you creating your work to get hits and views, or are you creating because you're an artist?  Sure, the attention can be nice, but, seriously....not everything in the galleries that is awesome is in the art charts. 

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 8:49 PM

He needs a bigger groin bulge? ;) I dunno... I never post to or view the galleries I must admit :(

miikaawaadizi ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 9:56 PM

Too many clothes, wrong gender, doesn't involve Naruto ...

People may call me cynical but ... do they disagree? :)

Vile ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 10:12 PM · edited Wed, 29 October 2008 at 10:12 PM

Hits and Views are not as important to me as comments and suggestions otherwise how can you grow as an artist. That is one reason to be in a community is for peer review. Usually I get at least a few good comments or tips. I guess I was just not confident in my painting skills...

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 29 October 2008 at 11:14 PM

Trying to skirt the obvious issues with Renderosity's Gallery, I'll just say that this isn't the most opportune place for unbiased community peer review.  There has been a long-standing problem with ratings and uncritical praise for members of some clique or another which really leads to bias rather than critical appraisals.  At best, you'll have to live with comments and tips you get and possibly ignore some others.

DeviantArt maybe?  I might have also added CGTalk but the members there are typically harsh on Poser in general (even Poser scenes rendered in high quality renderers) although they tend to be very positively critical otherwise.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Winterclaw ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 2:17 AM

For some reason, getting a good comment or tip is difficult and it takes a bit of a backbone if you are going to say something critical because you never know how someone is going to react or they leave out what specifically they are looking for and you tell them something that doesn't help because you don't know what it was.  Best thing you can do is find people you can regularly give you good and help responses and ask them to comment on things for you.  Go back through your gallery, and make some notes.

For me if something is nice, I like it, and I don't see much I'd do different, I'll just say nice image.  If a particular part stands out as well done, I'll mention that feature.  If I see something I think you really screwed up on, I'm going to say where and how you blew it (within reason usually).

Anyways, I can't think of much to say about your image and say it well because I'm biased against halloween...

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 2:30 AM

There's artists on here that get loads of comments on what is at best mediocre work and there's those that get very few on wonderful and superb art, such is Rendo!!!

It's not how good your art is here, it's how well you network with others!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

miikaawaadizi ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 2:35 AM

deviantArt has the "Naruto" problem right now, although there's one group (PoserAddicts - http://poseraddicts.deviantart.com) that gets some good collations out that can get you views and comments from the most surprising of people.

I tend to post in four places, either together or in some combination.  If it's something small, or unremarkable, or doesn't "need" feedback, I'll post it to my blog, and maybe to deviantArt if it's themed towards one of the groups I know visits my deviantArt area (Predator fans mostly), and probably to my Picasa site if I don't mind it getting into the Googleplex Hive Mind.

If I'm really chufed with it (because I learned something spectacularly new in the making of it, or I think it just looks good), or I want peer opinion and/or help with a problem I think is in the final result, I'll post it here and deviantArt,, and hope some kind soul will take pity on my poor untalented behind and help me figure the opronlem out.

If I really get stuck with something, I'm not shy, I'll put it here and send a note to an artist I like/respect/trust and ask if they can spare a few minutes to look it over and give me their thoughts.

I guess it boils down to how you can exploit the facilities you can take advantage of.  But you have to have a thick skin to expose your inner thoughts to strangers, as artists and authors do when they participate on these things.

Here's a thought.  Why not write up a tutorial detailing the steps you took creating that image, the challenges yuou faced and how you overcame them, any tricks you learned, how you decided the skull placement?  You said you don't "do" painting, so this must be something you're really proud of to have done, let people know why and how you did it.

You never know, you might just put up an answer to a problem "everyone" is facing but "no-one" has thought to ask about.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 3:36 AM

I have been posting for years and many times I don't get any comments, but that is not why I upload my art.  Sharen

Vile ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 12:52 PM

Thank you if you liked!  I am not actually trying to whine about the about of views I could actually care less about that. I actually love when I have an image has more comments and suggestions, especially if they offer advice on how to improve the image.

This was another attempt at trying to paint fabric which I was not sure how it turned out or if I need some more instruction. I had originally posted the WIP of what I was doing and really wanted some feedback on how it was executed.

Also this was one of the first times I have ever tried to match lighting from the background image.

I posted the above in the Bryce group but it applied here to.

Now that said I have a very thick skin having been here since only a year after the start. I and R'ostiy go way back. I usualy get a little more feedback. And true this time I was stretching my talents with painting so I wanted more responses to get a good feel of how it turned out. And I did post previously with the WIP to get suggestions on how to get that accomplished. I may do a tutorial, but looking at my feedback or views I really only do that if I am asked or if it was a very popular image.

winterclaw: If you could overlook your bias how was the lighting, color matching and painting?

Thanks again for the feedback even on the community which has change dramatically over the years...

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 2:08 PM

The cloth folds were very good and added to the richness and realism of the figure but with the light coming from below on to the figure the highlight of the fold might better have been below the shadow rather than above. You can also add to the realism of the cloth with some judicious use of the "Liquid Tool" in Photoshop to raise bumps of fold on the edge/shilouette of the cloth.

For integrating the background to the figure you can do a little median from the noise filters to smooth the image to agree more with the render. Sometimes anisotropic diffuse from the stylize filters works. The hue/color cast can also be shifted to match the temperature of the figure... here you figure is warmer and higher saturated than the background. Sometimes you can help create the illusion of a good composite by applying the Photoshop render "Lighting Effects" to match the Poser lighting on your figure. I also tend to brush a subtle blur set to "darken" along the edges of the rendershapes where they meet the background... softens the edge and gives a sense of volume.

I do not know if you are placing the background in Poser or Photoshop but you know how to make a selection mask in Poser? You save your scene as a .pz3 first and then go to your figure and clothes or whatever you want to issolate and set the diffuse value to zero and the ambient to 1.0 with a key color like pure blue or green and then delete all the lights using the python in the script menu and render.

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 2:40 PM · edited Thu, 30 October 2008 at 2:48 PM

file_416729.jpg

Hope you don't mind this markup... on the right I have done a quick adjustment on the background.

:)

Sloppy, didn't exclude the walking stick from the background selection etc. and the glow around the figure was just a dumb idea I had.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 3:58 PM

vile, I didn't click on the thumbnail to view the larger image because it appeared to
be a poser figure pasted over a photo background.  from an art critic's viewpoint (I
was trained as a critic, but I'm not an artist), such a composition is more of what I'd
call a WIP, in that it needs an actual rendered scene with various props, dramatic
lighting and rendering fx, et al.

I have posted images in the gallery here, but I don't recall the reason, and I dunno
if there are any comments.  I feel that members should be allowed to comment
on any image in the gallery here, if they so desire, but they should not be under
any pressure to do so.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 5:37 PM

You know I have to say, you really have interesting work in your gallery.  I especially like Twilight and Can't make an omlete......I really did not care for this piece you did, maybe it is because your other work, can be so detailed and I just don't see that in this piece.  Just my preference.  Sharen

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 30 October 2008 at 11:03 PM

Mr. Dark is from Something Wicked This Way Comes, right?  if so, i recognized him before i even went to full screen.  i like the concept, the elements, the composition and the color choices.  so, imho, you've got a solid work.

for me, the problem is it doesn't look painted.  it looks like a simple photograph behind an unrealistically lit Poser figure.  it looks neither illustrated nor realistic.  oddly, your painted clothes have that same look.  so in a way, you've been successful, because the clothes match the render, but i think it would have been better to make the figure and background look more painted, and for the painted elements to involve more colors.  when you look at almost all of the best paintings, even the flatter ones, they often involve layers of colors with both subtle and dynamic hue and value shifts.   i think the shape and folds are pretty good, actually, and am more struck by the fact that Mr. Dark is wearing awkwardly long shorts.  they look like plain colored jams, as we called the long O.P. surfer shorts when i was in middle school.  

as for the general reaction here, you get what you give.  i've done works i frankly know are just as technically solid as some very popular works.  and even among the people that comment on both my images and those tend to have very different responses.   in general, i get supportive comments (which is common, and i really appreciate it), and there's always some suggestions for improvement (which is not, and i appreciate it even more).   why?  because i often give critiques..  if you want truly critical responses, give them.  people will point out your errors in a heartbeat.  all of a sudden, it will matter if you don't correct shoulders, or have a poorly posed hand.    

it's harder.  i see images that either have as many faults or even more with many more comments, all positive, and even though i know better, i get sometimes get discouraged.  and you know what?  if i start posting purely positive comments, i tend to get mostly positive comments.  so it's easy to get back into the purely positive club.  but at the end of the day, i do this for me, and it makes no sense for me not to avail myself of all the help i can get.  conversely, it is for me, so there's no danger of me losing my personal style or perspective.  if a critique doesn't fit my vision, i don't use it.  but even when i protest in my head, if there's some validity in the critique, i tend to take some of it to my next image. 

SeverD ( ) posted Fri, 31 October 2008 at 12:51 AM

Constructive crits - the background is way too "loud".  It SCREAMS for attention when you want your viewers eye to be drawn to the figures face an the crystal ball.  You are also ignoring the fact that the bright light from the merry go round is your pictures KEY light source. 

As a quick fix, try throwing a layer of scary fog between your figure and the merry go round.  This will soften the "loudness" of the background and create the seperation you need.  Paint a strong rim light on your main figure to acknowledge the light from the merry go round.

As to getting comments, like the previous poster said, your subject matter is not nearly naked enough, nor nearly it is female enough.

Gabriel Sabloff
TIRADE STUDIOS

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.