Sun, Sep 22, 5:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Armor

darman42 ( ) posted Tue, 25 November 2008 at 4:13 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 4:54 AM

anyone know of a relatively good set of sci-fi armor, preferably free?

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 25 November 2008 at 5:20 PM

Have you searched Freestuff Armour/SciFi?.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 26 November 2008 at 3:45 AM

For what figure?

Connatic ( ) posted Wed, 26 November 2008 at 10:10 AM

Xurge has great armor for most figures at his site.

darman42 ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 7:08 AM

Whoops, should have mentioned. Im looking for military style/futuristic style armor for both M3 and V4.

Ive tried the Eldar armor in freestuff, but it doesnt look quite....right.

Morkonan ( ) posted Mon, 01 December 2008 at 11:06 PM

Quote - Whoops, should have mentioned. Im looking for military style/futuristic style armor for both M3 and V4.

Ive tried the Eldar armor in freestuff, but it doesnt look quite....right.

Hmmm....

After I get done with the Moonbase uniform (in another thread atm) I may just try to help you out by making some.

Post some reference pics of the type of armor you're thinking about.  Anything will do so long as you describe what you like about it.

darman42 ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 10:55 AM · edited Tue, 02 December 2008 at 10:57 AM

hmm.....

if anyone here has played Fallout 3, then they should have seen the Combat Armor.

if not, i think THIS should work:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/theboss42/230px-Armor_talon_mf.jpg

and if not that....

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Talon_Combat_Armor

nyguy ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 11:07 AM

I have some Stormtrooper-ish armor on my website for V4 in the downloads

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

Morkonan ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 4:23 PM

Quote - hmm.....

if anyone here has played Fallout 3, then they should have seen the Combat Armor.

if not, i think THIS should work:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/theboss42/230px-Armor_talon_mf.jpg

and if not that....

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Talon_Combat_Armor

Gotcha.  So, you're looking for a wasteland type of armor.. sort of a post-apocalypse theme?  No problem!  It's easier to do than a complete armored bodysuit.

(I've been a fan of the Fallout series since the first concept hit the shelves "Wasteland." (A very old post-apocalypse game that Fallout owes it's legacy to.)

darman42 ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 4:27 PM

lol. i WAS thinking more along the lines of a Brotherhood of Steel armor set, but i figured that no one would have that,lol

Morkonan ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 3:30 AM

Quote - lol. i WAS thinking more along the lines of a Brotherhood of Steel armor set, but i figured that no one would have that,lol

Well, that's a ton of work.  Although, it's not THAT much more than a lighter grade armor like discussed above.  The problem, IMO, is just making sure it fit/moves right.  I suppose it could go on top of a hidden figure as most others do.

Well, I've always loved the BoS figure.  But, first thing's first.  I'll think about how to do it right while working on the other.

(I'm trying to line up a good assortment of Freebie projects and the BoS Paladin figure would be "the Bomb" so to speak..)

darman42 ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 9:05 AM

what program do you use to make stuff?

I, myself, try to use Wings3D, but its taking a lot of learning.

habot ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 3:02 PM

else Orc Armor by SixiusOne (and Refit for V4 on Renderosity by pjz99) or Ichiro Armor by MLB Graphics
many armor set shared on Renderosity
For textures, "Plate Armor Hi-Res Photoreference" Vol1 & Vol2

Morkonan ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 8:55 PM

Quote - anyone know of a relatively good set of sci-fi armor, preferably free?

I just came across this that I had forgotten about: Mystic Knight sci-fi armor for V4, free at http://www.fwhsdesigns.com  Go to the downloads/clothing section.

I haven't used it but, it looks pretty decent.  You could probably put some textures on it and make it work for a post-apocalyptic look. 

Morkonan ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 9:02 PM

Quote - what program do you use to make stuff?

I, myself, try to use Wings3D, but its taking a lot of learning.

Right now, I'm using Hexagon.  It's sooo easy to use.  In the past, I've used others but Hex is quick and fairly effortless.  I can do pretty much anything in Hex for Poser.  Granted, there are much better modelling packages out there.  But, Hexagon is easy to use and cheap.  Blender, a free package, is probably the most powerful free 3d suite out there.  But, you'll gouge your eyes out with a grapefruit spoon when first trying to learn the menu subsytems... at least, I did.  I got better though...  But, even with more powerful packages, like 3DS, I couldn't be as quick as I can be with Hexagon.  In Hex, I can go from concept to a full finished simple outfit (normal clothing, any style) in a few hours.   For more complex bits, a couple of days.  The only thing that slows me down right now is texturing and mapping, which I am still learning how to do in Hex. (Mapping, at least)

Wings3D is fine but if you're really interested in 3D model creation, I'd suggest taking the time you're learning Wings3D and putting it into learning Blender.  Yes, it's much more complicated.  But, it IS free and has a HUGE support base.  No other free 3D package even comes close, IMO, to Blender.  It's better than Hexagon in some modelling aspects and it offers many things that Hex doesn't.  It's more of a full package but, it's just much more difficult to learn to use.

darman42 ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2008 at 8:59 AM

yeah...i tried it out, too, and I  almost did the grapefruit spoon thing.

Morkonan ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2008 at 4:36 PM

Quote - yeah...i tried it out, too, and I  almost did the grapefruit spoon thing.

I'm determined to learn to use it.. one day.  But, the great thing is there is a huge Blender community out there with many, many tutorials.  So, if one truly wants to learn it everything is available, including instructions and tutorials, for free!

There are also plenty of great free renderer packages out there that accept Blender model formats directly.  That's an added bonus.  The Blender community is surely taking the internet 3D fanbase by storm, in my opinion.

I'll definitely learn Blender's wonky menu structure one day...  But, that's not going to be today! ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.