Tue, Oct 22, 12:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Vue 6 Infinite dead?

danway ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 3:44 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:36 AM

With no new updates in over 6 months and Vue 7 is out, does this mean that Vue 6 Infinite is dead?

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 3:48 PM

yup..

thats the normal way things go for all tools ...

only when a huge error is found you might find a other update but dont count on it..
And IMHO its the way it suposed to be..

Chris
Vue6inf

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 4:53 PM

It's only dead if you stop using it.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Shari123 ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 4:54 PM

A sad state of affairs for those of us that can't afford Vue 7 at the current time.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 5:00 PM

It's only dead when it no longer runs on your computer. 

I still use MojoWorld - it has not been updated for years.  The bad part is it won't run in Vista, so if I do update my computer, then it is a dead program (but only to me). 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

kromekat ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 5:47 PM

It's as dead as the day I bought it! :]

Adam

Adam Benton | www.kromekat.com

Mari-Anne ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 7:27 PM · edited Fri, 28 November 2008 at 9:37 PM

edited to remove the offensive comment...please don't quote stuff like ths when you see it as it only perpetuates it.. ...

Is language such as this really allowed? I am really offended.......

Shari123 ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 8:28 PM

Yikes! After picking my jaw up off the floor, I too have to say I am offended as well. Even if the comment is removed now, I doubt I will forget it.

danway ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 10:21 PM

Did I miss something offensive? I'm sorry to everyone for the remarks whatever they were. Thanks for all the posts. I will continue saving for more $$$ so I can upgrade.

Mari-Anne ( ) posted Fri, 28 November 2008 at 11:00 PM

Quote - Did I miss something offensive? I'm sorry to everyone for the remarks whatever they were. Thanks for all the posts. I will continue saving for more $$$ so I can upgrade.

No, the remark to which I as well as Shari123 objected has been removed from the Forum.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 3:00 AM

E-on actually stated some Months ago, after the last 6 update, that it would be the last one ever!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

kromekat ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 5:31 AM

Well unfortunately, being a moderator on the site, I still had the displeasure of reading your colourful comment Trepz!! - what exactly is YOUR problem???

I personally am amazed that ANYONE can achieve anything of any value in Vue 6 or any other incarnation - after owning Vue 4, Vue 6i and Vue 6 XStream, and having it be the most unreliable piece of software I ever owned, therefore I am entitled to a little cynicism, and an opinion about how  it is for me, and a whole bunch of others!

Please, somebody explain to me how it is for them, and if they could call it a reliable application!? - and then explain how e-on can walk away from one version without fixing it, and expect users to pay out a good few more hundred dollars to have thir next, unfixed version!?

Adam

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 9:13 AM

My Opinion of Vue is it's as Stable as the Person using it; Meaning, you need to know the capabilities of your computer and be able to feel when an eminent crash is coming, but maybe I am good at that part because it's part of my job to troubleshoot computers and fix them. But Adam, you have to ask yourself why Industrial Light and Magic (TM) uses it if it is so unstable? And as far as a Learning Curve, Vue's is very short and totally easy to use. I know your C4D is touted to have the friendliest User Interface, but if it is easier than Vue than that is something to behold for sure.
Finale Note:
VUE ROCKS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

kromekat ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 9:41 AM · edited Sat, 29 November 2008 at 9:46 AM

At the risk of sounding like a troll here (which is far from my intention), I ask myself that very question about ILM often! - have asked it here before, and never had an intelligent answer. Do they have an off the shelf copy or one that has been customised for them - you know, a finished bug free version?? ;)

I'm well aware of my computers capabilities btw - I don't just do this for a hobby. The point is, I have run 3 versions of this app on 5 different machines, all with different specs, different chip architecture (G4, G5 and Intel Xeon) and I have yet to have a version that could be called reliable by even the wildest stretch of the imagination, so I am GENUINELY fascinated by anybodies accounts of reliability - it's not my system, or the many, many others that have no faith in e-on's software that need examination. but moreover the few who are 'sympton - free' that need their systems placing in a lab with a whole bunch of e-on staff, so that THEY can understand why the things works for these guy, and not everybody else! ;) Either way, you obviously have crashes too, yet feel it's ok, cos you can anticipate the imminent crash!? - Not what I call a good software experience.

And yes, Cinema is the easiest to learn of the pro modelling/animation packages out there, and Vue is not in that arena. However the Vue interface, although a little quirky, isn't too bad at all. It's just unfortunate that you have that constant state of anticipation that if you hit the wrong button at the wrong time, the App will disapear from under your mouse pointer!

Adam

spedler ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 10:09 AM

I've used Vue since version 4 and I've always found it to be reasonably stable, but - and it's a big but - I have never used xStream. By all accounts I've seen, this is one of the buggiest, least stable apps which are sold for pro use on the market. I can tolerate the occasional Vue crash since I don't do this for a living. I suspect that if you do CG work professionally, your whole attitude towards reliability is very different!

I'm also a C4D user and I can confirm that Cinema is a very user-friendly and easy to learn interface; Vue's is okay but it's not as good as C4D, IMO. This is in part due to its non-standard approach - not as off the wall as Poser or ZBrush, but different enough to make things... interesting.

Steve

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 10:16 AM

Quote -  It's just unfortunate that you have that constant state of anticipation that if you hit the wrong button at the wrong time, the App will disapear from under your mouse pointer!

Actually Adam my crashes are user or computer errors and not since I first started to use Vue have I had a TRUE Software Crash. My crashes come from making scenes with 80 to 100 Billion polygons on a 32 bit system, also I run Vue6 Pro Studio and it is a Very Stable App. Perhaps the more they add in the way Vue 6I and X and of course with Vue 7 I and X is the should I say the more unstable part, I really don't know. WHat I do know is the when ILM stated using Vue they had Problems with it and had a short video about using Vue and some complications with it posted on their web-site, don't lknow if still there I kind of doubt it after all this time, But they Love Vue.
There is an interview with **'Yanick Dusseault' Art Director and Concept Artist for "Indiana Jones 4"**at e-on if you care to read it.......... LINK
Anyway I am not arguing with you, I am only expressing my opinion and the fact that I really like Vue and I would expect nothing less from you if I went into the C4D forum expressing my displeasure for your software. Everybody can't be Happy with All the Apps. You pick what works for you and Vue Works Very Well for Me ;^D

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 10:48 AM

I found it the other way round Thelby, I had Vue5 Esprit and it was a real bag of spanners, many e-mails and moans to e-on resulted in a deal for upgrading to 5 Infinite to see if that was better, it actually was much better, I then moved to 6Infinite which was terrific to begin with, until they messed with the memory handling and it went really bad until they fixed it somewhat. I have gone to Vue7Infinite and so far it's been reasonably good, I'm still undecided if the new features were worth the price though! So far, the only crashes I'm getting are with the Beck texture from Poser, now there's the question, is it Vue's fault or the texture creators fault???

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

kromekat ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 10:52 AM

Thelby, yes I read that Indiana Jones related matte painting article! - this only adds to my frustration really - I know it CAN be used successfully, but it is not within my experience of the app, and that is only reinforced by what I read elsewhere. I like the idea of Vue, I just haven't seen it become a reality yet.

Maybe the users who have it running 90% reliably could post their system (hardware and software) specs and Vue settings, so those of us who only get that 90% + reliability in all our other apps, might disssect what it is about Vue that makes it so temperamental!?

Would be useful.

Adam :)

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 1:00 PM

Like I posted in several threads about this very same topic, my experience with Vue is very good. It's a very stable and reliable app. I've had it in two different systems, several different Vue versions and I've never had any serious problems. There's the occasional bug but nothing serious and for everything there's an easy workaround. My experience as a Vue user is excellent (more than 90%, Kromekat). True that I have around 1 or 2 crashes per week, when I push it to the limit, but I use it several hours per day with typically very heavy scenes (check out my gallery), so that's ok. Even Firefox crashes now and then if I have 30 open tabs, every app crashes now and then. In my experience, Vue doesn't crash more than others.

In the many threads about this very same topic, it's always the same: there are those users who are tormented with bugs and those who have a good Vue experience. I agree with you, Kromekat, that e-on should investigate a few of these extreme cases to the limit and try to understand where this huge difference comes from.

In my personal case, I have perfectly normal computers (XP32 and Vista64), with perfectly normal video cards (ATI and Nvidia), with perfectly normal chipset, etc. Cheap computers, really. I never worry about driver updates of any kind. All I do of "different" from the average user is to have my background apps and services to the minimum necessary (I have all bells and whistles turned off, no widgets, etc, not even screen saver). My Vue has the default configuration.

kromekat ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 1:12 PM

I wonder if it is more of a Mac issue than Windows then!?

Adam

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 1:14 PM

If I remember rightly Adam you are using a Mac ? 
From reading threads over here and at Cornucopia, the Mac version does seem a bit flakey.  I run windows XP and it's stable as a rock unless I do something stupid so yeah - I'd have to say it's a great bit of software.

Why don't you upgrade to a PC ? :biggrin: 

(ps - that's just my warped sense of humour Adam :) )

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 1:30 PM · edited Sat, 29 November 2008 at 1:30 PM

In addition if you are using Xstream - by reading over at EON & various other places Xstream for 6 was pretty much a debacle/nightmare.

There is a huge difference between Xstream & the stand alone version.

My guess is ILM had a custom version of Vue - I can only base my opinion on this through reading the new maint. agreements EON has put out.  In one it states they will do customizations for additional$$.  Now if in fact they didn't have a custom version, keep in mind all they were doing was matte painting.....which rendering backgrounds of trees is really no big deal.

kromekat ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 7:37 PM

Yeah I am Mac based - always have been! :)

I have owned Vue 4 d'Esprit - it was terrible - never used it after half a dozen attempts where it crashed for not obvious reason.

I have both Infinte 6.5 and XStream 6.5, and yes, XStream is simply unuseable period., Infinite has been used to make a few pieces, so I have to give it that - I have completed 3 or 4 images with Vue 6 Infinite, but they were all done with quite a few crashes, I just managed to get far enough and save regularly to make it feasible. That ISN'T a good way to work though, especially on a deadline!!

Maybe I should try Infinite on the Windows XP system on my Mac.

Adam :)

FrankT ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 7:50 PM

Quote - Maybe I should try Infinite on the Windows XP system on my Mac.

Give it a go - it's not like you have anything to lose by trying it :)

I use it all the time and it's stable as a rock for me.  I dunno what it is about Macs but they seem to have real problem with Vue which is a pity really.  I do hope e-on manage to get that fixed

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

ArtPearl ( ) posted Sat, 29 November 2008 at 9:27 PM

I'm on a Mac and I have no problems with Vue. Maybe I dont test it as hard as some guys here  - I dont care that much how many millions of poygons are in my scene.
The only problem I face on the Mac is that some applications arnt available for it, but those that are, are usually OK. And no MS related problems...

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 30 November 2008 at 6:54 AM

I learned with Vue 5 Infinite.  I found what worked and what didn't in reguards to crashes.  I had fewer problems with Vue 6 Infinite because I knew what its limits were.  Now I have Vue 7 Infinite and it's more easy going still.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

MarkHirst ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 3:45 PM

Although I've been using Vue for a while now, I like other commentors, am amazed at how Eon and their ilk can release software that is not of release grade quality and get away with it, time after time.

I won't be going to Vue 7 anytime soon because I learned my lesson with Vue 5 (a big bag of rusty nails), which was so bad I went back to Bryce for several months till an upgrade finally made it stable enough.

It feels like the market is not big enough or profitable enough for other players to step in and steal Eon's lunch. Cinema 4D has always felt solid when I've used the demo version, but the price tag and emphasis on animation rather than landscapes has made me stay where I am.

www.CambrianMoons.com

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 3:55 PM

I have Vue7 and I have no reasons to complain.

mouser ( ) posted Tue, 02 December 2008 at 8:56 PM

Interesting, its not just me.
I started with V4 esprit which only worked properly after I reinstalled Windows (every once in a while).
Currently I have V5I which I got free with Lightwave, definetly an improvment stability wise.
Couldnt bring myself to get V6I looked to much like a service pack.
V7 looks sweet but the convertion rate of the Aussi dollar makes a purchase looking unlikly.

synergy543 ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 1:47 PM

Quote - E-on actually stated some Months ago, after the last 6 update, that it would be the last one ever!

But they know some issues still aren't fixed.  From the e-on website:

Known Issues:

• Batch rendering of network jobs not correctly working on Mac*.
  • Poser Dynamic cloth on mac may not load with animation.

Well, I'll move on to Vue 7 anywho, but you think e-on would at least provide fixes so Vue 6 Infinite users so it works as its supposed to.  No?

I hope the advertised features in Vue 7 are all working properly and they place more emphasis on stability if they are targeting higher-end users.

kromekat ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 3:31 PM

Nice to see I am not alone here - I mean I knew I wasn't, but it's good for the blindly devoted to see ;)

Adam

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 03 December 2008 at 7:29 PM

Quote - At the risk of sounding like a troll here 

Hmm. Walks like a duck....quacks like a duck... ;-)

kromekat ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 4:48 AM

..ah the voice of the blindly devoted - right on schedule.

Did you notice that others feel the same by any chance?

Adam :]

forester ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 10:41 AM · edited Thu, 04 December 2008 at 10:43 AM

Did 'you' notice that some others also feel differently?

Xstream 7 in Maya Unlimited is working quite well . Of course, it's not a high end app like CD4 on a Mac.

forester ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 11:18 AM · edited Thu, 04 December 2008 at 11:22 AM

file_419212.jpg

Workflow - Maya - Realflow - Maya  (VueXstream materials applied to model and rendered, all within Maya).....  A lot of polys and no hitches.

Cinnamon rolls - 50 cents apiece on Cornucopia....

andrewe_665 ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 11:54 AM

Can anybody list the new plants? thanks

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 4:20 PM

Looks yummy forester!  Fat free polygons!

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Flak ( ) posted Thu, 04 December 2008 at 8:37 PM

My Vue experience has sort of been at both ends of the spectrum.

My first Vue-ing was Vue 4 demo (I think). Back then I was a brycer and wanted to see what Vue was like after chatting with Thomas Krahn in rosity's chat room and seeing what he could do with it. The Vue 4 demo was so unstable, I uninstalled it straight away and stayed with bryce (the V4demo literally crashed as soon as I did anything).

V5i I got free with Lightwave and on my system it was on par with Daz Studio alpha for stability. Once again it was unusable so I went back to bryce 5. But to be fair, I did manage one commercial project using it - but it was more of a load terrain/dump ecosystem on it/ render sort of project, so nothing too complicated. By the end, the last update was more usable, but still pretty crashable for me, so nothing really got done in it bar that one project.

Vue 6i... I convinced myself that that one commerical V5i project could pay for the V6i update  and I'd be "cost neutral" even if V6i update was a dud. On the same computer that V5i was crash city, V6i was actually quite reasonable from the get-go. The pre-release, even with its bugs was soooo much more stable for me than any Vue, patched or non-patched, before - it was stable enough for me to actually do the things I wanted to try in it.

Then e-on redid the memory/resource managment in one of the early patches (maybe even one of the pre-release patches) and it got worse again. But then with more patches it slowly got better again, though it still seemed to fall over sooner with respect to memory usage issues than the first pre-release did. But.... recently my old vid card died and I had to replace it with another old vid card (went from ati->nvidia and more ram) and now Vue 6 is really quite nice - i.e. its stable and does what I expect it to do (and what its meant to do according to the manual with respect to error messages and things). The forced changing of the vid card made a big difference (even though Vue says it was happy and compatible with both old and newer cards).

So thats my story - luckily, for me, v6i ended well.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

2ni ( ) posted Fri, 05 December 2008 at 4:58 PM

Just to say, I agree with Adam about unreliable behavior of Vue.
Actually I doesn't launch it anymore because each time it crashes or I find a new bug that drives me mad and frustrated.
And I do not use complex scenes, it's totally unpredictable like a software with memory fault at each line of code. Depending of the memory state, sometimes it works sometimes not ...
I have many issues not resolved in e-on bug database.

Anyway, I have a Mac PPC 2x2GHz 10.4.11, Vue6 + plugins.
So I'm not hurry to update to Vue 7 which is basically the same software.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.