Sun, Sep 22, 6:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: More Cover Art

AARoberts ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 8:08 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:39 AM

Attached Link: Gallery 7

file_117083.jpg

Due to popular demand I've jumped on my website and I've posted my seventh paperback book cover art gallery. These are covers from my personal collection. Most predate 1965. Looking for ideas for composition, design or whatever? This might be a good place to start. Regards, Arthur

2ndPlanet ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 8:50 AM

Hey man what a cool idea! where do you get those books at used book stores?

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 9:07 AM

HEY KEWL! Where'd you find this!? I had no idea they did a cross over between Duke Nukem, The guy from Wolfenstein and Sigmund the Sea monster! Of course he looks a bit older, Sigmund that is,...sad really. He used to have his own tv show...you know where the kid thinks he spotted seaweed on the beach and it turns out to be Sigmund...sigh..shame how he lost all that hair on top... PAN~

tani ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 9:32 AM

What does this have to do with Poser?

2ndPlanet ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 9:36 AM

Uh.....you could use it as inspiration for a poser compistions, Tani. It is kind of an creative idea generator. Out of a lot of post on this forum I found this one pretty darn inspiring and usefull.

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 9:44 AM

Well lets see...we could try and recreate the monster in POSER. We could try and recreate this scene in POSER. We could try and recreate these characters in POSER. We could try and recreate the table in POSER. We could try and make a comic based on this image in POSER. We could try and create images with that comic book hand drawn gritty look in POSER. We could create textures that have that artistic feel in POSER. We could ....oh I'm sure you get the idea now... PAN~ Thanks for the inspiration AARoberts....

AARoberts ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 10:33 AM

Hello All, I've been collecting the books over the years and have recently been selling them on ebay. In order to sell them I need to scan the covers. Instead of trashing the covers I've kept them around for all to enjoy. Hey Pan! That book was created 30 years before all those characters you mentioned! Having just said that you can see where the old inspires the new and the reason I posted this stuff. Have fun!

Tartan ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 10:39 AM

I saw the other post also featuring the bootleg cover art of Jack Gaugan on the old ace edition of Lord of the Rings.. the unauthorized version. Its nice to see the cover here by Kelly Freas. Freas (for those who don't know) has won more Hugos for art (10 as I recall) than any other artist in history. So what does this have to do with Poser Tani? Inspiration, pure and simple. I remember that it was Kelly Freas, John Schoenner, and other Astounding/Analog artists that first got me interested in art and writing. One of the first images I did with Poser and Bryce was based on the 72 cover done by Kelly Freas, called the "Second Kind of Loneliness" Make fun of him and his images all you want Pan. (hehe) You are looking at one of Premier Sceince Fiction artists of all time. Arthur, If you want and if my copies arent too beat up, I have a fairly good selection of Analogs dating from around 65 until the early 80s.. also a lot of Fantasy and Science Fiction, If, Amazing, Fantastic and Isaac Asimov, covers. Just ask and I will see if I have it. If I do I will scan them for you

AARoberts ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 10:58 AM

Hi TarTan, Thanks for the offer, but at this point I better wait because I have a lot of these books too. I probably don't have a lot of the stuff post 65, but I've got a lot of pre 65 stuff and I want to get this out there first. I literally have thousands of books, so its a matter of where I put my time. thanks again, Arthur

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 11:23 AM

Arthur, I have a challenge for you. Have any covers by James Bama. I knew him when I lived in Cody, Wyoming and he's a great artist. He did a lot of book covers in the earlier days. I'd love to see them. I only get to see his old west work now. He does incredible, inspirational detail. boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Larry F ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 1:16 PM

James Bama did a whole lot of covers for Louis L'Amour westerns in paperback and a bunch of the Doc Savaga paperpacks, as well as a slew of others, not to mention the fact that he has done extremely well in the "WELL" department, i.e., well known, well respected, well received, etc., and is a true western scene painter of great renown. MAN, that guy could (can?) really put the paint to the paper/canvas/wood/surface. Seems like his work might easily be simulated/emulated/recalled in a program like Poser 3,4, but probably not duplicated too well by any other than himself. Yeah, you could say I like him. AARoberts, those covers bring back memories. Even mention of the ACE covers conjures up memories of Andre Norton, Richard S. Prather, Murray Leinster, Poul Anderson, EARLY paperback editions of Arthur C. Clark (i.e., Childhood's End), Asimov (Foundation sreies?), Clifford D. Simak and the old world destroyer/saver himself, Edmond D. Hamilton. MAN, you didn't want to live on a planet that guy wrote about! Ha! Guess I'm giving away decades here. Time to stop rambling. Larry F P.S. Refreshing to see appreciation of the relevance of stuff predating computer graphics in general and 3D in particular. Say, hand me my bib and put me back in restraints will ya, nurse?

AARoberts ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 1:17 PM

James Bama is an absolute genius. He was doing 3D artwork before there were computers! His Doc Savage covers are just beautiful. I always wanted to collect the whole series. I found this on the net by him: jbboy.jpg I have one of his Doc Savage covers on deck and possibly something outside of that, but I'm not sure.

Boni ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 3:16 PM

Okay, you guys are going to throw tomatoes at me when I tell you this, (and I still kick myself) OT - After reviewing some of my work back in 1990 James Bama offered to take me on as an aprentice ... but I didn't have the transportation to Wapiti to work with him. A move I regret to this day. It was only aobut 30 miles away near the East Gate of Yellowstone. sigh oh, what might have been. But I've followed his career ever since (and before for that matter). Just a sideline. Thanks for letting me OT. I still think that his work can be a great insperation to posers all over. The authentic costumes alone. And the faces, wow. OKay, did that bring it back on topic. ;) Peace guys. (and gals) Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Tartan ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 6:30 PM

oooo A Jim Bama Doc Savage model.. Yes Go for it Dave ! :) I have about 50 of them.. I also like the Louis LaMour westerns that had Bama covers also.. I am not too sure about the quality of Lester Dents writing but the Bama covers rocked!

David A. Runyon ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 7:02 PM

I must admit that the writing was spotty in the series, but the age produced some of the most creative authors of our time and paved the way for the acceptance of sci-fi in general. I just find myself re-reading the older material more often than any new stuff because the new just doesn't have the (can't think of a good descriptive word)_____; fill in the blank. (Flair, Intensity, Innocence, Wonder, Speculation, etc...) Ah...the good old days..... David

nnuu ( ) posted Thu, 23 September 1999 at 9:45 PM

this really has nothing to do with poser you keep putting these covers on why???...to inspire us to make them? how bout posting these covers next to the poser version...sorry to sound like a prick nnuu

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 1999 at 12:10 AM

AARoberts...keep up the inspirations...it was people like you who got me into the ideas of creating PAN.WARE! If it wasn't for posts like these...that made the mind WANDER from the sometimes same ol' thing (my poser won't this..my poser won't that) we would never see the amazing images that are so often posted here... PAN~

nnuu ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 1999 at 2:06 PM

those covers have nothing to do with poser....if you want more inspiration i could post thousands(im not joking)of covers that have nothing to do with poser,...but hey im dooiiin it for other peoples inspiration... nnuu

AARoberts ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 1999 at 2:20 PM

You've made your point. We don't agree. If you don't want to particpate in the discussion then don't bother appending to it. I also suggest you don't bother with any posts by me that have cover in the title.

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 1999 at 3:11 PM

nnuu? When you say thousands...what kind of covers? I'm curious to see just what you mean. Since you obviously have access to the ability to post thousands of 'covers' I say to you...come on..inspire us. I believe that could be put as: Put your money where your post is. PANdaRUS P.S. AARoberts- I would like to apologize for the way you have been treated in this post. You took the time to share something that you found enjoying with others who enjoy poser. You obviously wanted to share how it could apply to poser, something which 'some' people can't seem to comprehend. I personally find the images to be inspiring. I thank you for taking the time to share a bit of history with those that appreciate it.

AARoberts ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 1999 at 3:57 PM

Pan, No problem. The positive posts far out weigh the negatives. Did you get to check out Pieces?

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Fri, 24 September 1999 at 4:17 PM

Actually I'm still wandering about in it! haha...love the music...definitely adds a mood. Luckily I have sound at work... I am currently at the point where the Tinkerer is quite annoyed at the 'tactile interfaces' haha...story seems good so far... I can't wait to finish my online comic...so many of you put out great stuff...I just hope mine is at least decent compared to what you all have! PAN~

nnuu ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 1999 at 12:20 AM

i could post thousands of comic book covers,...but im not because i dont have the time nor the patience to do so....look im not writing here to be mean but to be realistic of the situation...i guess i suppose i could upload pictures that ive done (that have nothing to do with poser,... photoshop and painter maybe but not poser) and say..."here for you guys is some pics for your inspiration"... two things 1...your posts should be uploaded in the charater creation forum. 2...if i personally wanted to niew covers or any type of 2d work for inspriration i would go to the appropriate web site...i come here to this forum for poser inspiration but dont get me wrong im sure you have supporters of this and im just one voice to this matter nnuu

Tartan ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 1999 at 4:17 AM

yes nnuu and thank goodness yer only 1 voice..

2ndPlanet ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 1999 at 9:08 AM

The things that cause deabte in this forum are sometimes laughable. Everybody get over it. It is just one post alot of us found it usefull. I mean alot of times I don't neccesarily see why soandso posted his/her latest lame ass picture of naked poser girl in this forum post rather than on in the gallery or even better, they did both. So you know what i do I don't post a comment, that way i never have to be bothered with the stupid post again. Unlike in this case were I have to constantly get a notice in my email that someone is complaining that they don't like this post. Get over it and move on!!!

nnuu ( ) posted Sat, 25 September 1999 at 3:42 PM

your posts suck and for now on im gonna post non related pics on this forum and thats all i wanna hear about this issue .

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.