Sat, Sep 21, 6:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: New Years Dinner Hog Jowl, Black Eyes Peas and Collard Greens.

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 6:44 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 1:30 PM

file_420928.jpg

New Years Dinner Hog Jowl, Black Eyes Peas and Collard Greens is a Southern USA tradition and we include cornbread made in an iron skillet.  Good luck supposedly comes from this.

With no collard greens, we had to go with mustard greens.          Tom.

barbdennist ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 7:46 PM

Oh my ...hog jowl.  What in the world do you do with that, or how do you eat it, or how do you cook it?????  I've never heard of eating it.  Yep, I didn't grow up in the south, nor have I ever been there.  I have eaten black eyed peas though.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 7:52 PM

I LOVE IT............

I experienced this in South Carolina the first time...

AND, it  was cooked out doors !!!!

Great memories..

Greens for Dollars and Black eyed Peas for sense (or cents)

The Hog Jowls are mostly for flavor the way I had them..

I almost for got the spicy vinegar for the greens.HMMMMMMMM

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

camera ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 8:13 PM

I can understand Hog (pig) and jowls from anatomy I think) but to eat it?

I was in a South Carolina restaurant on the way to being stationed at the Charleston Naval Base and I remember being chastised by the waitress for not eating my grits.

Oh Horrors! The look she gave me.

TomDart ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 8:28 PM · edited Thu, 01 January 2009 at 8:30 PM

Actually, the meat is like bacon but fattier than normal American bacon, which is a bit different from bacon in the UK or in Canada in the first place.   We put ours in with the greens this year, cooking by boiling first then added to the cooking greens.  Fried is good, too but don't fry the greens. : ).

Lots of folks simply use ham and let it do at that. 

Grits is for breakfast most of the time...quite good with butter and pepper.

camera ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 8:39 PM

I also saw grits served at lunch and wondered why people would eat something that looked like cream-of-wheat cereal at meals.

NOT bad mouthing southern cuisine but very happy to finally have SOS for breakfast on the base.

Hog jowls sounds very tasty once you get over the name.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Thu, 01 January 2009 at 10:17 PM

come to think of it...I had ham hocks...not jowls for New Years

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

helanker ( ) posted Fri, 02 January 2009 at 3:17 AM

But how on earth can one hog a jowl. I am afraid my translater is not for food LOL !

In my book Hog is castration and jowl is kind of jaw.  Wierd !! LOL !   But I like bacon :) And the picture looks delicious.  BTW I have the same bowl :)

bentchick ( ) posted Fri, 02 January 2009 at 1:32 PM

Can't say that I've ever had hog jowls, but the rest looks real yummy!!! A lot different here in California, we had pasta for New Year's dinner. We did have ham for Christmas and that's kind of a traditional dish for our family.

I love talking about food, but my New Years Resolution prohibits me from eating these things until the holidays roll around again later in the year!!! LOL :P

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.