Mon, Sep 30, 7:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Exporting with texture map

stagehand ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 1:39 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 7:12 AM

I have done this before which is driving me crazy because I cannot remember how I did it. I am attempting to export a group of primitive objects as an obj file. I can do that no problem, but I also want to export the texture maps along with it.

I seemed to have tried all the various settings in the export options to no avail. Again when I have done this before I've ended up with both and obj and jpg files. But for the life of me I can't figure how I did it. Can someone please give me a quick primer to jog my memory?

Thanks

Vampires

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 2:52 PM

Group the items to be Exported. (Name). keep selected.

Go to File>Export, select .obj, make sellections as required in the .obj dropdown.

Hope that helps

Brian

bwtr

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 2:57 PM

Are you using procedural textures?

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

stagehand ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 3:02 PM

Thanks Brian. Those are the steps that I have been following but when I import the obj into Poser it only has a color attached to it and not a texture map.

Vampires

stagehand ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 3:09 PM

Quote - Are you using procedural textures?

I'm going to show my ignorance because I am not completely sure what procedural textures are. What I'm doing I think is fairly basic. I'm using one of the stock textures that comes with Carrara, Metals -> Black Palina. I have not made any adjustments to it at all.

Vampires

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 3:15 PM

This is a procedural shader.... procedural means that Carrara uses math to create a shader and not a image... so only with Inagoni baker you can export this procedural as image...

stagehand ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 3:36 PM

Ok, that makes perfect sense, I'm not going crazy. I tried using a different texture that did contain an image as an experiment. When I exported that, I did receive a separate jpg which is what I must have done before. Thank you for the help :)

Vampires

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 4:48 PM

You are welcome!

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 7:09 PM

Someone has to say this!

Why would anyone who had Carrara need to take things into Poser?

(Doing that is "reverse engineering"!)

Anyway, whatever, have fun!

Brian

bwtr

GKDantas ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 7:20 PM

hahaha...yes that was good.

stagehand ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 8:41 PM

That may be true, but given that I am much more familiar with Poser I still find it much easier for things like character set up and lighting. Granted over time it may be the other way around, but for now I'm still learning.

Vampires

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 8:48 PM
ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 10:15 PM · edited Sat, 03 January 2009 at 10:21 PM

file_421051.jpg

Here is a render of an object inside Carrara with Carrara's procedural textures.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 10:19 PM · edited Sat, 03 January 2009 at 10:22 PM

file_421052.jpg

Here is the exported OBJ object rendered in Poser.  The key to the puzzle is a Carrara plugin called Baker.  It converts the UV mapped procedural textures to highlight, bump, diffuse, reflection, etc. image maps that can be applied in Poser.  Poser's default lighting and background was used.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 10:25 PM · edited Sat, 03 January 2009 at 10:27 PM

file_421054.jpg

Here is the same object rendered in Vue.  So yes, Carrara's textures can reach out to other 3D apps.

stagehand ( ) posted Sat, 03 January 2009 at 11:14 PM

Quote - Here is the same object rendered in Vue.  So yes, Carrara's textures can reach out to other 3D apps.

Thank you! Good information to know.

Vampires

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 12:01 AM

file_421055.jpg

Shawn

Sorry, is that, really, what you consider a Carrara Render?

Here is one that is about as easy and simple as you can get.

Brian

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 12:10 AM

file_421056.jpg

True that was OpenGL stuff in Carrara.  Renderosity didn't like the size of my rendered image and so I posted that one instead.  But here is the object rendered in Carrara.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 12:12 AM
ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 12:14 AM · edited Sun, 04 January 2009 at 12:18 AM

file_421059.jpg

This is my latest Carrara render of a model I'm working on.  It will be exported (along with Carrara's texturing) into Vue's landscaping.

Now add some realism to that castle of yours, Brian.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 1:13 AM

file_421062.jpg

Where does "Realism" start and finish though? As an old Pro photograper I don't get that serious any more. All in Carrara.

Brian

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 1:13 AM

file_421063.jpg

And!

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 1:15 AM

file_421065.jpg

And

bwtr

stagehand ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 1:19 AM

Quote - Where does "Realism" start and finish though?
As an old Pro photograper I don't get that serious any more.
All in Carrara.

Brian

I found one of those in my backyard once ;)

Vampires

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 1:55 AM

Quote - Where does "Realism" start and finish though?

I don't know about finish (maybe something that one can scratch and sniff).  But it starts when something virtual looks like a photograph of something real.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 2:26 AM

And all those years we photogrophers bent over backwards to make our images less "photoghraphic". All those  trophies I  won for heading that "different" way!

Have you seen all the new filters for Photoshop where you can produce the effects of all the older individual  type colour and b&w films?

Why there is such a strong element in, some, 3D circles to be so "photographically ??" exact defeats so many  basic principle of creating great artistic imagery.

But thats a 76 year old, multi mediums, artists view!

Brian

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 2:47 AM · edited Sun, 04 January 2009 at 2:50 AM

Some don't want art.  Some present their ideas better if it looks real.  FX in movies look real.  Disney and Pal presented their moon trip ideas in the mid 50's as realistic as they could.  Then Kubrick pushed realism further.  You should have been a painter instead of a photographer if you didn't want your stuff to look real.

Anyway.  If you have all those years of photo-realism under your belt, I'd like to see a photoreal Carrara render from you one day.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 3:52 AM

I am an artist--painter/sculptor/.wood carver--oils, watercolour/pencil/crayon--whatever--life drawing--teaching art/photography etc etc?

You are saying those images I just presented are NOT photoreal?

(I used to be paid big money to produce photo images like that earlier Castle one!)

It's a bit like saying someone has perspectives wrong ---at last count there are some 38 different types of perspective theory.

It all should be fun because it's not in the least of any consequence in the end.

Brian

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 4:10 AM

Quote - I am an artist--painter/sculptor/.wood carver--oils, watercolour/pencil/crayon--whatever--life drawing--teaching art/photography etc etc?

You are saying those images I just presented are NOT photoreal?

Yep.

Quote - (I used to be paid big money to produce photo images like that earlier Castle one!)

Ok.  I hope you didn't tell them it was photoreal.

Quote - It's a bit like saying someone has perspectives wrong ---at last count there are some 38 different types of perspective theory.

But just one fact for 3D perspective -- the vanishing point.

Quote - It all should be fun because it's not in the least of any consequence in the end.

Why bother with art then?  It should be for both at least.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 4:14 AM

Just a thought for the day.

A pencil, a paint brush, a pound of clay, a camera, a computer---all have identical, intrinsic, levels of art/craft potentential.

Brian

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 4:27 AM

Quote - A pencil, a paint brush, a pound of clay, a camera, a computer---all have identical, intrinsic, levels of art/craft potentential.

So your renders are only as good as your paintings?  And your sculptures are only as good as your drawings? 

One still needs to know depth of field, field of view, lighting, shading, shadowing, lens blur, lens glare, lens flare, diffuse color and gray values, highlight, shine, reflection, refraction, transparency, dark and light drawing, wet and dry painting.

Anyway, post you best artwork ever in your gallery and we'll see if it has "any consequence".

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:19 AM

Shawn, where do you get "BAKER" plugin for Carrara and is it in the Carrara 7 flavor yet??? I am work currently so if it's native Carrara Plugin I will look when I get home in 5 + hours!!! 8^P

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:25 AM · edited Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:30 AM

www.inagoni.com sells Baker.  Carrara 7 version will be out soon if it isn't already.  I checked just now.  It looks like Julien is updating his site.  No Carrara 5 anymore :(

Anyway, he'll know more about it.

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 12:59 PM

Thanks SO Much for that. I have wondered about this question myself!!!

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 3:11 PM

Shawn
I haven't posted to galleries for ages but you will find some here and  (better?) at Polyloop going back a bit.. (Well--- going back a bit?--I only found a computer on-switch in August 2002! And a Computers For Dummies paperback!)

And, the hours I have spent teaching that photographic theory /art principles over the years---would you like a couple of walls full of text books to borrow? Or the box full of imagery/art awards?

All going to go out in the rubbish collection any time soon--completely unimportant.

Thelby
Have a good look at the DCG "Enhance C" plugin--well worth having.

Brian

bwtr

Thelby ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 3:57 PM

Quote - Thelby
Have a good look at the DCG "Enhance C" plugin--well worth having.

Brian

I'll head over there right now, Thanks!!!

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 4:49 PM

Thelby
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=102674&highlight=carrara+plugin&flatnum=1

Keep an eye on this site of Jeremys  . He has some great FREE plugins for Carrara to which this new one will be added soon.  http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/

Brian

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 5:01 PM

Quote - would you like a couple of walls full of text books to borrow? Or the box full of imagery/art awards?

I assumed you had some of your greatest artwork lying around (any medium, not just computer artwork) that you could take a photo of and post in your gallery here.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 5:50 PM

Why would I,  or need to do that?

I have been judged by my peers. Works published internationally, in several languages---all completely irrelevant--past history!

Do you care?

Brian

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:08 PM

Just say you don't have anything good to show us.  That's all.  You post more links (without references) to the Carrara PDF manual than you do any artwork.  Anyway...  If you say you're such a great artist, I guess we'll just have to take your word for it.  People claim to be anything on the Internet.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:09 PM

file_421117.jpg

I hope some people are learning something from this thread.

Is the attached image any good?

(It earned me a $5000? copy of XSI in a CG competion!)

Do I think its good?

Who cares?

I had fun!

Brian

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:11 PM
geep ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:12 PM · edited Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:13 PM

I'll comment and say ...**

WOW !!! ....... Just WOW !!!**

That's magnificent! ............ Thanks for posting it here. :thumbupboth:

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:14 PM

We need to get Miss Nancy in on this to judge.

geep ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:14 PM

Because .................. ?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:15 PM
geep ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 6:19 PM

Oh, ok. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 8:20 PM

Similar "ART STYLE "on the day, at the point in time, as related to the needs/specification of the questions asked?

It's all in the perspective?

Sorry--how would I have marked some of these "exam" responses?

Brian

"The old farts at it again!"---hey!, at 76 I am happy with that!

bwtr

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 8:50 PM
ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 8:54 PM

I'm showing your $5,000 winner to a 3rd-grader.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 04 January 2009 at 9:15 PM

Quote - I hope some people are learning something from this thread.

Is the attached image any good?

It looks like the Emperor has no clothes.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.