Sun, Sep 22, 6:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: January 2009 Photography Forum Challenge - Symmetry

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 9:02 AM

We can't have you musically challenged about David Bowie, PJ!  :)

Ronnie has provided an excellent resource for hearing snippets of about a million Bowie songs.  You can hear about the first 30 seconds of anything you're interested in.

Here's a link to the song "Changes."  Turn your speakers on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8&feature=related

From there, you can click on other David Bowie YouTube performances.

Enjoy!

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

PD154 ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 9:06 AM

Now you have no excuses PJ, muaaaaaaarrrrrrrr! :)))

It takes one tree to make a billion matchsticks, but one match to burn a billion trees

MrsLubner ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 9:31 AM

Well, thank you! it would appear, as well, from what I see on the web, that the gentleman has aged a bit since he made The Labryinth. Hummmmmmmm, has it been that long since he made that movie. Ahhhh, well... it was my daughter's favorite and my grand daughter's and... let's see... my daughter is 32 now and ... good grief. I must get up to speed soon before he dies of old age!!!

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

PD154 ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 9:34 AM

LOL!!! you crease me up PJ, what a fun person you are :)))

It takes one tree to make a billion matchsticks, but one match to burn a billion trees

karlabu ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 11:34 AM

file_421716.jpg

Ok here are two of my pics, hope you like them :)

karlabu ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 11:35 AM

file_421717.jpg

And the second one :)

karlabu ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 11:36 AM

P.S. my favorite song of David Bowie is and always will remain "Heroes" :Þ

PD154 ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 11:55 AM

Wise choice, one of my fave tracks too :)...these are great shots!

MrsLubner ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 1:14 PM

Those birds are dyn-o-mite! Especially the pelican - I'm a long-time, HUGE fan of those birds and if you keep this up, I'll be an even bigger fan of your photography! :-)

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 2:32 PM

file_421722.jpg

Here's my 2nd challenge entry...the top of the Smilthville Manor gate

J:woot:e

MrsLubner ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 3:12 PM

Is that as tall as it looks or were you laying on your back when you took this! :-)

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

PD154 ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 4:14 PM

WOW! nice perspective Joe.

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 7:55 PM

I've always been fond of "I'm Afraid of Americans."  (There's a version he does with Nine Inch Nails that totally rocks.)  And of course "Ziggy Stardust" is right up there.  

Love the birds, and Joe's gate is totally cool!  :) 

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

PD154 ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 7:57 PM · edited Mon, 12 January 2009 at 7:58 PM

LOve the Nine inch nails, I first heard them on a video game called Quake, totally kick ass :)

auntietk ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 8:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKNd22GGaQ

There's a link for you, RJ.  NIN and Bowie doing "Afraid of Americans."

Whoo-hoo!!!

PD154 ( ) posted Mon, 12 January 2009 at 8:12 PM

Thanks auntie :)))))

Meisiekind ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2009 at 2:14 PM

Karsten - that pelican blows my mind... Fantastic!!!

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."

Elliott Erwitt

LovelyPoetess ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2009 at 6:43 PM

Wow, look at all the Bowie fans!  Count me in.  I've always liked him in film too.  Anyone seen "the man who fell to earth" or "the hunger"  ?

As for my favorite Bowie tune, gotta be Suffragette City

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

So where do they go when a photograph leaves you speechless? 

tizjezzme ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2009 at 8:04 PM

file_421814.jpg

You guys are doing so good ... EXCELLENT submissions going on here...

here's one I dug up; taken last summer :( ... I spose i should be sued too.

"The only thing coming straight out of MY camera is the cable!"
P. Vermeulen

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 13 January 2009 at 8:26 PM

Awesome shot, Shari!  It's tough to hold to the guideline that the pics should be current, especially in the winter!  Besides ... I'm lazy.  If I've got a perfectly good shot in my files already, why go trudging out into the snow looking for something else? 

:)

Bowie films:  Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983).  Intense!!

PD154 ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2009 at 7:09 AM

Great submission Shazz, who cares if it is an archive shot, I.m with auntie, despite the weather, we also have to work, then do things at home, going location for a shot is the hub of professionals, there may be a few here at rendo, but in the main we are hobbyists :)

I vote for archive shots..YAY! :)

blinkings ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2009 at 5:47 PM

Great work guys.

tizjezzme ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2009 at 7:36 PM

"Modern Love"  ... jeez, Now I gotta download that tune.  I LOVE Bowie!!! 

More good ones being uploaded here .. !!!  Joe, Love that gate!!!  .. and the Pelican & Goose are beautiful.  and, LOVE them drops too. 

P. Vermeulen

PD154 ( ) posted Wed, 14 January 2009 at 8:51 PM

Oh dear me we need to setup a Bowie forum LOL!...but I have to agree on your choice there Shazz, excellent number!

Eutopia ( ) posted Fri, 16 January 2009 at 3:20 AM

file_421952.JPG

Hello everyone, I'm back online again :-) I couldn't resist checking out the challenge and had to laugh because I'm probably the most A-symmetrical person around!  Most of the necklaces I wear are A-symmetrical, heck, even my HAIRCUT is A-symmetrical! hahahaha Anyway, I traipsed through my garden and came across something that really is symmetrical in the most amazing way. The pics so far have been absolutely awesome!!! 

PD154 ( ) posted Fri, 16 January 2009 at 5:36 AM

That's a beautiful capture my friend, How are you?

tizjezzme ( ) posted Fri, 16 January 2009 at 6:54 AM

GORGEOUS **Eutopia ... THANK YOU for dropping in and for your subission...... :)  lets see more!!  :)

P. Vermeulen

Eutopia ( ) posted Fri, 16 January 2009 at 7:06 AM

:-)  I can't begin to tell you how good it is to be back online and regularly visiting Renderosity again! 
My eyes are scanning everything for symmetry now! :-P

PD154 ( ) posted Fri, 16 January 2009 at 7:07 AM

and a warm welcome back to you :)

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Fri, 16 January 2009 at 8:59 PM

file_421989.jpg

I am impressed with all the great stuff here..Hope this fits the challenge

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

PD154 ( ) posted Sat, 17 January 2009 at 6:36 PM

Fits in my book, splendid capture!

Eutopia ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2009 at 1:00 AM

file_422150.JPG

This is an old cylinder (I think) which my dad converted into a pencil holder :-) It's really old - I can remember this living on my mom's desk when I was still growing up. It's pretty battered now, but I was looking at it this morning and I realized it has wonderful symmetry!

tizjezzme ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2009 at 7:28 AM · edited Tue, 20 January 2009 at 7:28 AM

Excellent **Eutopia!  :)  It most certainly does have some great symmetry!  :)

Ronnie - Love that new avatar!!    :)

P. Vermeulen

auntietk ( ) posted Tue, 20 January 2009 at 9:05 AM

Wonderful stuff! 

Eutopia ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2009 at 12:25 AM

file_422189.JPG

My last entry :-)

MrsLubner ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2009 at 7:05 PM

file_422239.JPG

Well then... I have gone through the State Capitol tour office to the CA Highway Patrol permitting office and finally talked with the people at the Joint Rules Committee and its okay to post this and anything else I shoot - art included - under the capitol roof. :-)  Glad to get that out of the way.

Soooooooooooooooooo, my last entry into the challenge... a pano of the capitol message boxes for people who pay to have all their legislation bundled each day and put in one place for pick up (that's me). The space between the boxes and the wall is only 5 feet, so, taking the series of shots for the pano was tricky, and the length of the room is about 30 feet or so long, which really cocked the perspective - but I like it for its mundane-ness :-)

I love what's been added since my last visit here. Up, up and away!

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

auntietk ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2009 at 11:58 PM

Wow, PJ!  That's an excellent shot!  Creative, and very well done.

tizjezzme ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 6:43 PM

Eutopia; BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

.. and PJ .. wow.  This is awesome symmetry, to say the least.  Excellent photo and even artistic.  

P. Vermeulen

MrsLubner ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 6:58 PM

There is so much there that fascinates me - not from a historical aspect, although that seems to be their big draw around there, but from a design aspect. symmetry is everywhere and the actual construction is precise so as to obtain the same effect no matter where you go inside. And outside.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 7:45 PM

@PJ:
I'd love to see some shots of your building, now that you've got the nod.  I bet there are loads of photographic opportunities around there, strictly from an artistic point of view!  (I'm remembering a shot you took in one of the conference rooms a while back ...)

tizjezzme ( ) posted Thu, 22 January 2009 at 7:56 PM

file_422317.jpg

I stumbled upon this one tonight; skeeter-symmetry.  *ouchies*

P. Vermeulen

awjay ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 10:54 AM

from todays entry in my gallery.....

pier

auntietk ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 8:40 PM

:)  Perfect!  :)

bmac62 ( ) posted Sat, 24 January 2009 at 11:59 PM · edited Sun, 25 January 2009 at 12:00 AM

file_422478.jpg

Time to pop another example of symmetry up...January is growing short. This is a lovely old Veterans Cemetery in my home town.

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Sun, 25 January 2009 at 11:17 AM

file_422515.jpg

The top of the Liberty Bell steamboat that is docked on the Delaware River here in NJ

tizjezzme ( ) posted Mon, 26 January 2009 at 9:37 PM

Perfect Awjay, Bill  .. and Joe!  More and more I'm seeing symmetry all around me; prior to this challenge, I never noticed symmetry at all... so this challenge was good (for me anyway).. broadening my vision for more photo ideas!

P. Vermeulen

busi2ness ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:26 AM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 6:32 AM

file_423024.jpg

Ahhh... I read about symmetry in recipes, Bowie's music and a number of other educational things. So let me add some:

What immortal hand or eye     
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
(William Blake)

I chase an image, overcome
by your last image of mystery;
everything has a cruel symmetry.
(Jason Paul Fox) (only for the brave at heart to follow the link!)

You better hurry up with the new challenge Shari or we start our own. I dedicate this image to you Shari, thank you for offering us the chance to broaden our scope. :thumbupboth:

Kathleen (Eutopia): Good stuff, I though I was the only South African lasting to the end!

Piet Vermeulen, South Africa

tizjezzme ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:33 AM

Awwww, what a great photo to upload here, on Symmetrys last day sigh  how BEAUTIFUL this is!!  (and, of course special .... )   Thank you Piet. 

I will be getting next months going ... so hold your little horses there big guy.  Itsa Commin'!!

This challenge has made me more aware of the symmetry around me.  For that, I am thankful.

P. Vermeulen

bmac62 ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:50 AM

Shari, I agree. Regardless of the challenge of the month...these challenges have a way of improving both the eyesight and the interest regarding the way we look at both new and old things. The challenges keep us green and growing instead of simply becoming older and moldier in our approach to our photography.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Bill

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes."

auntietk ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 9:01 AM

I've generally avoided symmetry like the plague, preferring the off-center crop, the excitement and tension of asymmetry.   This challenge was ... well ... challenging (!) but I enjoyed it very much!  It's good to look at things in a different way.

Can't wait for February's theme!  :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.