Wed, Sep 18, 12:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Daz's Irritatingly Refreshing Innovation

Ridley5 ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 5:45 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 10:26 PM

Anyone see Finder II, the new nifty little plugin for Daz Studio ?  Searching for content from within poser would be immensenly useful.   IMO, It's something that should have ALREADY been incorporated into Poser's core functionality long ago. 

Even though studio's still behind Poser in some areas, I'm surprised how fast they keep coming up with 'why doesn't poser have that'  feature set.  It would be nice if whoever developed poser could introduce features piecemeal instead of a new program ever 2-3 years that essentially needs to be beta-tested by the community anyway on release.

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 6:05 PM

May I point you to the FindInLibs Python script in my freestuff?

I agree that this functionality should have been built into Poser a long time ago. But as is often the case, PoserPython comes to the rescue.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Ridley5 ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 8:56 PM

Didn't know of that one!  Thanks svdl :)

Morkonan ( ) posted Thu, 29 January 2009 at 9:21 PM

Quote - May I point you to the FindInLibs Python script in my freestuff?

I agree that this functionality should have been built into Poser a long time ago. But as is often the case, PoserPython comes to the rescue.

Very Nice!  I just downloaded it.  I bet it is highly useful and excellent!  That's probably why I missed seeing it.  :(   I'm always doing stuff like that...

So, in the future, when you create anything else remarkable, useful, helpful, promotes world peace or is guaranteed to save humanity from bug-eyed monsters, PM me so I can download it ASAP. :)

Dizzi ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 7:07 AM · edited Fri, 30 January 2009 at 7:08 AM

Well, Finder is a third party plugin. Poser just doesn't have a proper plug in architecture to allow this.

There's enough external library browsers to choose from that can load content into Poser via Python script, so if you really want something like that for Poser, it's already there, just not inside Poser.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 30 January 2009 at 12:16 PM · edited Fri, 30 January 2009 at 12:16 PM

Actually I think there is. I was just - while looking for another feature - browsing through the options of PhilC's Poser PocketKnife - and it has a (python drivven) "load any library file" that looks like what you'd want here :)

Note that I haven't tried it, I don't think I have Poser PocketKnife (yet) but Phil's stuff usually works!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

wimvdb ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 4:26 AM

For those of you who have vista: You can use the Vista Search engine to find files in the  library as well as in the texture and geometries folder.
Just make sure that you have indexed the fhe Runtime folder and add the poser file extensions (such as .obj,cr2,pp2,ppz, etc) to the index. Search in a 600GB runtime is usually within a few seconds. Use the "favorites" folder to save some search locations to speed it up even more.
I especially like to feature to use the search engine within the File Open dialog to search for mismatched texture and OBj files.

Other desktop search engines probably work too but won't have it have it integrated within the File Open dialog.

XP search was really slow, but the Vista one is much faster when the index is used.

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 4:38 AM · edited Sat, 31 January 2009 at 4:46 AM

I don't agree it should be build into Poser at all. Poser can make use of scripts just as well as DAZ Studio can. The main problem isn't that a lot of functionality that is offered through plugins isn't build in Poser, the problem is the lack of plugin creators for Poser.

If you look at the core application of D/S, you will notice it offers actually very little. Everything interesting for D/S is offered through plugins and most of them haven't been created by DAZ at all, but by others.

The major lack of the owners of Poser and with every new owner this is getting worse, is to rally developers behind them. DAZ has a sole purpose and that is to push their content and whatever they release (even D/S, plugins, Carrara and so on) is only used to push more content sales. The owners of Poser have no sole purpose at all, especially Smith Micro doesn't, they're market is way to divided to focus well on anything. On top of that SM/CP doesn't treat their customers and merchants too well, how will they ever win over people to rally behind them and create the so much needed functionality through plugins/phyton scripts.

The next problem is a divided community. There are a lot of good phyton scripts available for Poser adding a lot of great functionality, but they're all over the place. There is no one stop solution for these kind of items and the owners are not promoting them for sure either or pursuing these creators. All they do is drive them away.... just look at how the pushed away Renderosity, RuntimeDNA and a number of others. DAZ on the other hand seems to able to keep most of their stuff related to themselves. I don't need to search and shop all over the web to improve DAZ Studio's functionality, I know where to go. Not so with Poser, they're digging their own grave by the way they have set up things and go about marketing and I'm not to sure if this will ever change.

DAZ seems to able to tigh people to them, complain about them and you will be sure to get a number of DAZ worshippers jump on you. Poser has failed to do this, they have a lot less loyal user base and from my point of view that is their own fault.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

SeanMartin ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:01 AM

>> Poser has failed to do this, they have a lot less loyal user base and from my point of view that is their own fault.

Well, that's no surprise, ever since the debacle of P5 (which wasnt so much a fault of the developers but the parent company in Germany) -- and we know how the users can have long, if selective, memories.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Latexluv ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 7:52 PM

A comprehensive database of Python scripts and where to download them would be extremely helpful. I will be the first to admit that until recently, Python scripts were a mystery to me and quite intimidating. I'm sure other Poser users may or could feel the same way about Python scripts.

As to the loyalty issue, this depends on who you ask. Even though I have installed Daz Studio, the interface is, IMO, not as straight forward as Poser itself and I am very loyal to Poser and have used it since version 3.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

seaayre ( ) posted Sat, 31 January 2009 at 8:24 PM

Cool. :) Thanks a lot!

Quote - May I point you to the FindInLibs Python script in my freestuff?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.