Fri, Sep 20, 2:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Animated Torus shape?

chuckerii ( ) posted Sun, 15 February 2009 at 9:36 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:22 AM

Anybody have an idea of how I can smoothly animate a torus shape starting from a circle to a full ring?  Kind of like the circle drawing a ring as it extrudes?  Right now I am animating the circle shape in the spline modeler, extruding it over a 1 second time frame while at the same time applying a bend modifier to the object over the same 1 second time frame.  It's close, but I can see it bending a bit as it goes along instead of a smooth arc.  Also, with the bend modify I can only do a half ring.  Any better ideas to achieve this?  Thanks!

Chucker

TOXE ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 2:23 AM

Hi Chuck,

maybe the fastest way is to create an animated alpha mask, but i'll let you know if i found something better.

-TOXE

TOXE ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 2:26 AM

Remember that with the bend modifier you can change the value beyond slider so maybe you can reach a full ring using a value of 360.

-TOXE

chuckerii ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 8:40 AM

Quote - Remember that with the bend modifier you can change the value beyond slider so maybe you can reach a full ring using a value of 360.

-TOXE

Hey Davide... thanks for the tip about changing the value beyond the slider - that did give me a full ring.  However, I'm interested in trying the animated alpha channel.  Can you explain how you would approach that techinque to make a torus grow?  Thanks.

Chuck

TOXE ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 9:17 AM

file_424326.mov

Hi Chuck,

this is a simple test, you need to UV the torus and usa a simple movie in the alpha channel.

I've Uvmapped the torus with modo because it's too simple, but you can use also Carrara.

Davide

-TOXE

TOXE ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 9:17 AM · edited Mon, 16 February 2009 at 9:19 AM

file_424329.txt

...and the files, change the name to .zip

D

chuckerii ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 9:38 AM

Ahhh... very easy.  Thanks so much Davide! 

Chuck

TOXE ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 9:42 AM

You know, every time that someone here ask for something for me is a challenge;-)

-TOXE

chuckerii ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 10:07 AM

I appreciate you taking the time to figure it out and posting the files.  Thanks again.

Chuck

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.