Thu, Oct 24, 5:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: What's wrong with this image?

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 3:17 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 4:33 PM

file_424126.jpg

Click image for larger view.

What's wrong with this image? I uploaded it to the Photo Gallery at Friday, February 13, 2009 8:59 am server time. It's only had three comments up till now. The photo posted by someone else immediately after this photo has had 19 comments. Now I know that my photo is no master-work, but this has had a very poor reception, and I guess I am biased, but I don't think it is that bad. I have posted photos in the past that IMHO were not as good as this one but scored much better in terms of comments. So I'm asking for an honest opinion.

Why is this photo so uninteresting? What does it lack?

Give it to me on the chin. I can take it (I think).

Fred255 ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 3:24 PM

It does not lack anything.  It a good photo.  Getting comments is not just about a good photo, there are many factors, timing of when you post to maximize the amount of viewings.  Look at what's around at the time see what others are commenting on.  Also you have to make comments on other members work to get comments.  I don't get many comments, but there again I don't make many.  As a Moderator I don't get much time.

ecurb - The Devil

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 3:35 PM

Unfortunately for the artist looking for useful critique, getting comments is often about having a sizeable fan club. I don't get a lot of comments on my stuff, or a lot of hits. There's a really vast number of images that come in every minute of the day here.

I like the picture. It's got nice composition and contrast, and I like the subdued colors, they fit the subject. However, I've been at work since you posted that picture, and I haven't had time to look at more than a few dozen pics over lunch, and I missed yours.

Hopefully, you'll get more over the weekend. 😄

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for the input so far. Guess I just needed to vent a bit. I invested a lot of time on this photo, taking it, doing postwotk, evaluating different versions, and finally thinking that I have something good and posting it. I guess I have to accept that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as they say, and that what looks good to me may not appeal to other people.

Like I said, I was just a bit cheesed of, and needed to vent my frustration. But I'm over it now, and looking forwards to the next photo.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 4:09 PM

Always a good emotional state to settle back into. 😄

You know, a lot of the time when people see a finished work, the amount of effort that went into it isn't apparent. I don't do much photography myself, so I'm not equipped to appreciate everything you put into it. Sometimes, all people see is the "magic", and they miss all the behind the scenes work.

durleybeachbum ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 4:34 PM

As one who did comment on your pic: I look at all the photography thumbs, and pick out the ones that shout at me. Your work did  that.
I am also aware that some folk are just starting maybe even with a first camera, and that some are children... so I also sometimes comment on pics that are not perfect, to encourage and help. 
Some comments I get are 'habit' comments, but I am always particularly thrilled to receive  them from folk who are skilled and talented. So I would value one or two from you.
RR is a club based on reciprocity, and as Fred255 points out you would draw more folks' attention to your work if you left a note, however brief, on some of theirs.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit too much, but a lifetime of teaching art has probably left its mark on me!
Andrea

bentchick ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 5:04 PM

Les, I just looked at your gallery and I see that you have some outstanding work! So it's not that your photography is lacking! Personally, I like these kind of photos, simple and almost abstract, but you will find that the audience for these shots is not as great as say, waterfall shots or animals.
And as Fred said, factors like the time of day and even day of the week can effect the amount of comments.
I don't play the popularity game, so I really don't attach any significance to the amount of comments on my photos. I try to comment on others when I can, but with time shortages, I can't always look at everyones work. It's a shame that the system works that way on this site. Don't take it personally.

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

Garlor ( ) posted Sat, 14 February 2009 at 2:41 AM

Nothing wrong with the photo, I missed the comment as I was out most of that day. I have had similiar feelings when an image which I thought was really good has attracted few comments.

There are so many varied reasons for why some attract comments and some not. I have long ago given up wondering why images that I think are great attract little attention and others get  along list of comments.

Posting here has helped me keep my eyes open for new ideas,we all learn by looking at others and it does sink in often without realising. So keep posting, the variety is well worth the effort.

strata ( ) posted Sat, 14 February 2009 at 2:57 AM

Its not a bad photo, its kind of "static" though. You have croped the picture with the main object dead center. The image often gain interest if the main object is put off center. :) Strata

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” Nikola Tesla

Fred255 ( ) posted Sat, 14 February 2009 at 3:08 AM

Yes I agree with that statement Strata.

ecurb - The Devil

inshaala ( ) posted Sat, 14 February 2009 at 6:53 AM

number of comments =/= quality of photo
number of views =/= quality of photo
size of your "social circle" on the site and your willingness to post multiple inane comments on others = lots of inane comments on yours

See the mismatch here?

If you want real critique, post it in here and ask a specific question.  Or put "critical comments" on when you upload, and reinforce that by putting it in the description that you are seeking good comments.

When i had time i used to make sure every comment i left was constructive in some way and i think i am right in saying i have a reputation for saying what i see.  Those who know that on the whole do the same for me - that is where the reciprocal nature of the site works well.

So i guess i am saying is:-

• have patience,
  • post critical comments on others (unless they specifically dont ask for it - in which case they probably wouldnt post critical comments on anyone's work anyway)
  • dont compare your level of comments with others and think it reflects the quality of the shot in any scientific way (there is some relationship but this is skewed)
  • remember that if you think it is good, it is good.

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

danob ( ) posted Sat, 14 February 2009 at 1:35 PM

I certainly have enjoyed your work and commented but this looked a tad over sharpened on my monitor and lacked the same sort  of light and shadows and pleasant tonal variation that say
Cable-Drum & Gear which was in my few a total success and that was also deserving of more comments.  While I dont subscribe to the comments for comments sake, it also can be seen as being holier than thou esp if the work is of good quality when not  many comments are given.. I also agree with Rich in that if you like the image really thats all that counts.

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

lesbentley ( ) posted Sat, 14 February 2009 at 3:08 PM

Thanks everyone for all the input, and especially to strata and danob who have given me cause for thought on how I might do better in the future.

Octaganoid ( ) posted Sat, 14 February 2009 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, don't worry about not recieving that many comments on your work. It's certainly no reflection of it's quality most of the time.. The galleries can be a bit fickle sometimes in that respect. Post a few honest comments on others work that you truly like when you get time and you should find that you'll get some useful, and more importantly honest comments in return.

Regards.. Shaun.

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Sun, 15 February 2009 at 9:17 AM

I think it's a great shot..Somehow I missed it..

But if you post a crappy photo of your cat, you'll get PAGES of comments..

No, I don't have anything against a good animal / pet photo...

So, let's not go there..

Grungy texture shots, sepia tone, monochrome, inndustrial shots are just usually not huge comment getters here..

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

TomDart ( ) posted Mon, 16 February 2009 at 8:21 AM

A cute pet or a nice landscape will get comments...here and in the real world I visit outside my home each day. 

As Bruce said: "Grungy texture shots, sepia tone, monochrome, inndustrial shots are just usually not huge comment getters here.."    I have no way to support this thought but it seems folks who view but do not photograph can be pleased by lovely florals, landscapes and other lovely and "non threatening" images.  A photo like yours requires a different look from the viewer and many simply would rather go on to the cute doggie picture.

I agree with the static nature of the photo but like the work put into it and the idea.  I have not commented because I miss most new images!  I try to take a quick view of "what's new" in the galleries each morning and that is it....  If I don't see the thumb shot then, I likely will not see it.

It took me a while to learn not to low  take numbers of comments serioiusly on my more esoteric photos.  Well, the same is also true of my more regular stuff....still, a nice comment or good honest critique does make all a little better than little or nothing.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 12:49 PM · edited Tue, 17 February 2009 at 12:51 PM

It's all about how you market yourself really.  It's not always about subject matter or the quality of the image per say. It's about how many friends and favorites you have or comments you make, which directly impacts what you will get in return. 

I've seen members post everything from dog crap to their big toe and get a boatload of comments. Sometimes you just shake you head and think... What the....?!?!?  

Since RR is mainly a 3D site, you also have many of the 3D members posting photos now.  Some have a built in following that overlaps when they post to the photo gallery.  I don't know how many times I've read comments like "Nice Render" or That looks like a photo! (Maybe that's because it IS!! :blink: ) 

There's no way to change the way things are...You either jump on the comment bandwagon or don't....everyone has a choice in what direction they want to go.

J😄e

durleybeachbum ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 2:05 PM

Perhaps I should give up commenting on any work I think is very good, as noncritical comments seem despised by some of you.

And who am I as a rank beginner to make CRITICAL comments, as I only own a point and shoot and can't do HDR whatever that entails.

Personally I know which opinions of my work I value the most, I am well able to sort out the informed from the rest. But it is good that the rest have looked............
There are as many reasons for taking pictures as there are photographers.

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 2:14 PM

Quote -

And who am I as a rank beginner to make CRITICAL comments, as I only own a point and shoot and can't do HDR whatever that entails.

There is no reason for even a complete outsider to photography not to be able to make a critical comment.  Something like "i like the colours they make me feel warm inside" is a critical comment.  It shows the photographer what effect their choices in the photo have made on the viewer.  Saying "wow" doesnt inform why the "wow" happened and is thus not critical. 

A critical comment isnt always negative, but even when it is, the same is true: "i dont like the colours, they make me feel cold and i dont think it fits the image" is something anyone can appreciate.

BAsically an explanation of the response is a critical comment... that is all.  Then you can get into technical critical comments whereby the commenter offers a remedy:

"I dont like the colours they make me feel cold and i dont think it fits the image - have you tried processing this with an extra warming filter in postwork?"

:)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

durleybeachbum ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 2:25 PM

Having taught art and the critical process all my life to both children and adults I am well aware of what it entails. A major part of my degree was in just that.
What I mean here is that I am reluctant to make such comments to my superiors in the field, (although of course I am happy to receive them.)
And actually, as I mentioned higher up this strand, if you are just starting it must be pleasant to receive a comment, even of WOW, rather than be ignored completely.

timtripp ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 4:18 PM

first things first.... the picture... what's wrong with it? not a damn thing! why didn't it get a lot of play? that's a social issue. one thing i've done (mostly because of the snowdonia photo) is make you one of my favorite artists. that way i will get an e-mail when you post and thereby make sure to look at it.

second things second.... i am a practicing architect so i'm used to the idea of artistic work being received critically. i remember architecture school where the whole idea of the 'jury' system was to tear a design to pieces. i've come away with a whole different idea. I DON'T THINK WE LEARN BY OUR MISTAKES... WE LEARN BY SEEING AND IMITATING SUCESS TO FIND OUR OWN SUCCESS.

this is how it works for me..... and why i have favorite artists. when i see something by someone else which pleases me i try to figure out how they did it.... if i can't figure it out i e-mail them and ask. you'd be suprised how cooperative the people here are. talking about how you should sharpen more or less or crop more or less would be lost on me! (i think it's basically bullshit anyway) but seeing something andrea has done or made as her comment might set me off onto something good.

see ya soon.... and keep up the good work.

tim

promiselamb ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 4:27 PM

Hi lesbentley **;-)
im sorry i missed this shot of yours .. I think its a great shot :-)
I never noticed your gallery before until you commented on my stuff the other day. and i thank you for all the great comments you left on many images that day :-)

I dont get much time to comment on images as much as i would like.

I have always been shocked when I see an image that looks like it was done with a cell phone and uploaded with no editing at all. and it will have as many as 60 to 80 comments.
and im a bit in shock when i see that. but then soon as i see the persons avatar i know who it is. and its always someone that has about 7 days a week 8 hours a day. to comment on every image before its even hot off the press,

then i will see master photographers here. that get next to nothing on a image. and that has always shocked me as well..

you have to keep in mind some people find their self worth not in the work they do. they will put more work into collecting compliments then they will into photography.. they will take 15 min in a day to take a picture of a stick and hurry up and toss it out there. then they will spend 8 hours collecting compliments. to me it is sad but that how some people find self worth.

and i have asked people that comment on stuff like this. and they say well I leave comment to help them get better. and i look and they been posting for 5 years.. and i go ummmm dont think much has changed sense day 1.. and i dont think typing awesome amazing bravo 5+++ is helping them get better..

but if you leave a comment and say why dont you adjust that with levels in photoshop. you now became a troll lol

**lesbentley if you get 3 comments all day long. trust the fact is better then 40 to 60 comments. the 3 really like your stuff and thats huge. the 40 and 60 could care less about your stuff **they only want a compliment back so you can feed their self worth.

and thats the facts plain and simple ;-)
goodness hope i dont get in trouble for this. I have been being so good and posting nothing but fun pictures lol
Miranda

Octaganoid ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 5:25 PM

Very well said Miranda.

I have on many occasions seriously considered disabling comments on my images, but i always hold off because there are just enough people here who's honest opinion i value and respect, whether they criticise my images or not.

I think its common knowledge here (and we keep on saying it) that number of comments is not always a reliable reflection of quality, a pity, but true.

Primarily the joy of photography (for me) is getting out and about, travelling abroad, being creative, experimenting, editing on my PC E.T.C, and i take my enjoyment of it from that. Uploading and recieving comments is so far down the list of importance to me, purely because of the fickle nature of it all, but still enjoyable enough to keep doing.

Kind regards... Shaun

promiselamb ( ) posted Tue, 17 February 2009 at 5:51 PM

Hi Octaganoid ;-)

well thank you very much ;-)
and I went and checked out your gallery .. you are very talented photographer. thats the difference in someone finding self worth in what they do. then finding self worth by what everyone else thinks or says,,

I thought about leaving comments off as well. but then I went hhhmmm what if someone wanted to point out something wrong with my image ( besides Bruce lol ) I might miss out on a lesson here. and its nice to get a just normal comment from time to time as well ;)

Your gallery is impressive. I could never do landscapes and nature stuff I have tried with no such luck ;-)
Miranda

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.