Sun, Sep 22, 12:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:34 pm)

Subject: Sequins

timewyrm ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 10:07 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:38 AM

Anyone know how to create a sequin dress texture in poser, (or know where I can find one)?

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 10:36 AM

search for recent posts by bagginsbill . He posted a poser material that might be what you want.

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 11:20 AM

oops, my bad , the post was not in the forums but apparently in chat.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 11:34 AM

I'm also wanting to know this.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 11:47 AM

I will post it here in a bit.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

xoconostle ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 12:58 PM

Looking forward to bagginsbill's response, but in the meantime if it helps, there is a set of sequin fabric materials at Runtime DNA in their P6/P7 freebie section. 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 2:06 PM · edited Sat, 28 February 2009 at 2:07 PM

file_425139.jpg

Hi xoconostle.

Those RDNA fabrics are very pretty and totally useful, but I don't get why they're called sequins. It's just a shiny metallic thread, not sequins at all.

I'm making real sequins procedurally.

On the left, the RDNA "sequin" fabric. The other two are my new one.

I've got the basic procedural done, now I'm just setting up all the parameters so you can dial in any colors you want. You'll be able to control what color the underlying cloth is, and what color the sequins are, and whether they are metallic or plastic, and whether they reflect in different colors or the same color. (iridescence)

Click for full size.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 2:21 PM

file_425140.jpg

Here's a closeup so you can see that they are individual disks not threads at all.

xoconostle ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 3:05 PM

Wow, yours do indeed look like real sequins bagginsbill. Very impressive work. 

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 4:36 PM

WOW BB you've outdone yourself!!!!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 6:30 PM

Attached Link: Bagginsbill's Free Sequin Shaders

Finished. Link takes you to the shaders. There are 20.

64 nodes - I won't bother explaining them. There are easy to use parameters in the shader on the left side.

You should be able to guess what they do, but if something isn't clear, ask me.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 6:30 PM

file_425153.jpg

The 20 thumbnails.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 6:31 PM

file_425154.jpg

This is "New Year's Eve"

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 6:34 PM

file_425156.jpg

This is "Valentine"

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 6:53 PM

Valentine's is hawt! :thumbupboth:

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 6:59 PM

file_425158.jpg

Random metal

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 7:01 PM

file_425159.jpg

Tortoise metal.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 7:03 PM

file_425160.jpg

"Paris". I picked these colors from a photo of Paris Hilton wearing a sequined blouse.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 7:05 PM

file_425161.jpg

Gold.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 7:08 PM

file_425162.jpg

Office romance.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 7:12 PM

The plastic ones didn't come out so good. I think I messed something up before generating those. I didn't test them again after making some changes. I used matmatic and the script is pretty complicated.

Oh well. It's free, right?

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 8:04 PM

And ust in time for St Paddy's Day... Thanks, BB!!!!

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

3Dave ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 8:20 PM

Cool! More shaders to play with, thankyou

Morkonan ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 9:21 PM

Quote - ...I'm making real sequins procedurally.

On the left, the RDNA "sequin" fabric. The other two are my new one...

Damn BB...
If you knew any MORE about shaders and nodes, you'd be dangerous!  Uh.. as a matter of fact, I'm not so sure you aren't already. :)

Very nice work!

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 10:32 PM · edited Sat, 28 February 2009 at 10:33 PM

I was impressed already.  Dammit, man, you're exhausting my vocabulary! I never imagined it would be possible to make this material, and here it is!

Smith-Micro really should put you on the payroll for Poser 8 development.👍

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 28 February 2009 at 10:38 PM

BB this is some nice stuff, good job.

My Freebies

DesignsbyEve ( ) posted Sun, 01 March 2009 at 1:59 AM

Awesome shaders, thanks for sharing!  The one from RDNA, I've always used it for quick chainmail myself.  It's not perfect, but it worked in a pinch :D

timewyrm ( ) posted Sun, 01 March 2009 at 5:06 AM

Thanks BagginsBill these look perfect. I agree you should be on the team for Poser 8.

timewyrm ( ) posted Sun, 01 March 2009 at 5:37 AM

Ive been having a play around with the mats - is there a trick to lighting them? I cant seem to get them as bright as in your promo pics.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 01 March 2009 at 7:59 AM

They are metal. Metal is not lit. It shows the world around it.

You need to create surrounding stuff to reflect. I susggest an Environment Sphere with a photo on it.

Or did you do that already?

You can also increase the Reflectivity parameter to beyond 1 if your surroundings are not very bright.

xoconostle ( ) posted Sun, 01 March 2009 at 1:42 PM

Thanks for so generously sharing your work. The shaders will go to good use and are sincerely appreciated.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 5:53 PM
Site Admin

BB this is cool. And while it would benafit you greatly to be on SM's payrole. It might not be great for the rest of us though. Including all of your shaders would raise the price of P8 out of most of our prise ranges.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2009 at 11:20 PM · edited Thu, 05 March 2009 at 11:22 PM

it might benefit SM greatly to have bill on their payroll, but one ventures to guess that it would not necessarily benefit him quite as much, given the current economic climate in gilroy IMVHO.  anyway, very grateful for the sequin shader tree.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 06 March 2009 at 6:54 AM

Being on the payroll, i.e. an employee, is not necessary, nor desirable to me. I am a consultant CTO/engineer now for over a year and I love it. Except in some extraordinary circumstance I'm never going back to being employed. I would require "yacht-level" compensation to even consider it.

Nevertheless, it gives me warms-and-fuzzies knowing that my freebie work is appreciated enough that you guys suggest SM should involve me in Poser or Poser content development.

Gini ( ) posted Fri, 06 March 2009 at 7:22 AM

Thank you so much, these definitely look the 'real deal' !

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

TinyAngel ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 11:55 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question.. but will these work in DAZ? (normal not advanced)

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 12:22 PM

It's a poser forum ;-)

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 12:26 PM

Not a dumb question.  The shaders were created only for Poser, as Anthanasius has pointed out.  Unless you are very familiar with DAZStudio shader system and can work out the node structure, they will not work.

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 12:29 PM

I agree hborre, but DAZ ( not advanced like TinyAngel say ) dont have a material room with node structure, or i'm too old :-)

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 1:08 PM · edited Thu, 31 December 2009 at 1:10 PM

DS3 Advanced does have a node system, and I'm pretty certain it could do this material. I remember seeing a thread at Daz Commons forum where some people were discussing how to copy my shader for DS3. I believe it can be done. However, I have never used the DS3 nodes. Daz asked me if I wanted to be a DS3A beta tester, but it was at the same time that SM hired me to write part of Poser 8, so I felt it was a conflict of interest and I didn't pursue it at all.

From screen shots I've seen of DS3A, it is capable of doing the kind of math I used here. But at 64 nodes, it's not an easy shader, and i think (again based on a couple screen shots) that some things are harder to say in DS nodes than Poser nodes, so it might run to 100 nodes in DS.

This is the sort of math-filled shader I always use matmatic to generate. I'd never dream of wiring up this many nodes by hand.

This is also the type of shader that is completely universal - there's no reason it could not be implemented in any raytracing renderer, as it does not rely on anything unique to Poser.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 2:59 PM

would it be too greedy to ask for the script? i'm definitely interested in seeing how it works. 

TinyAngel ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 5:24 PM

i know its a poser forum, but some items are cross referenced, right? Thanks though. Really wish i could get these in daz, they're fantastic

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 31 December 2009 at 9:54 PM

oh, yeah.  it's a very good question.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.