Mon, Oct 7, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: 3D Objects from Terrain Editor question.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 11:21 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 3:27 PM

Long time ago I followed Peter Shapes tutorial to make 3D text from an Image using Terrain Editor applied to a Symmetrical Lattice, this was when Bryce was actually called "Bryce 3D"

I've created some custom made Logos out of various fonts in Photoshop and would like to bring them into Bryce and turn them into 3D.

Is the process still the same in Bryce v6.1? The one problem I recall with this method was the Jagged Edeges.

One of the images that I have in Photoshop is 3543 x 879 @ 300DPI  I should be able to bring this into the Terrain Editor and apply it to a Symmetrical Lattice?

army4499 ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 11:34 AM

Yes.  Be sure to smooth the type in Photoshop by at least a two pixel blur.  That saves you from having to do that in the terrain editor.

dhama ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 11:46 AM

Save the height map as a 16bit greyscale this should ensure the edges are smooth.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 5:28 PM
Forum Moderator

Elephont!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 5:48 PM · edited Sat, 07 March 2009 at 5:54 PM

file_425652.jpg

Bryster: You mean Elefont ;) which is excellent when using TTF(True Type Fonts), but I'm doing some custom logo work.

Here is what I've been working on, that is the name of the new Company that I'm working for.  I started working there 3 weeks ago and I love.  I'm their new Systems Admin.

Ok getting back on topic.  A couple of things.  In photoshop I had to adjust the canvas size of the Image to 4000x4000 from the Original  3543 x 879 otherwise once loaded into the Terrain Editor, the image looked squished.  Making the Image Square and centering the logo inside this squared image gave it proper proportions in Bryce.. however the minor annoyance is now I have a giant bounding box around my Object, so I cant use the Down arrow button to have it sitting on a Ground Plane.

I have not been using Bryce for some months now, and its amazing how much I forget and how quickly.  I've been playing with photoshop and try to learn using a tablet.

So as you can see from my picture.. I have forgotten how to align things properly with the view/camera.

So this is what I have so far, any comments, suggestions to improve this image is appreciated.

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 8:16 PM · edited Sat, 07 March 2009 at 8:31 PM

I don't know of any way to get around the object boundary. All I can say is bring your lettering down as close as possible then use Alt + Page down key to fine tune the touch down. I find it best to go to the right viewport and zoom in close between the two objects. also the underground visibility button helps.

"...I have forgotten how to align things properly with the view/camera."

Oh yeah, your camera is not aligned so you may have to set it up as we spoke yesterday in that other post...it really helps. ;)

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 8:53 PM

so you're using Photoshop fonts instead, or something you created? You could use Wings 3d to create an actual object, smooth in inside Wings, then export.

If it's 2d stuff, there's a way to bring the picture inside Wings, and trace the design around it. That I don't know how to do, but someone in the Wings forum would.

Just an idee...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Quest ( ) posted Sat, 07 March 2009 at 9:08 PM · edited Sat, 07 March 2009 at 9:10 PM

Good point Pakled, the same can be done in 3DMax by importing the fonts as splines (vector) then extruding them in 3D. Then save out as "obj" file to Bryce.

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 12:43 AM

If you export the terrain with clipping you should then get an object just the size of the text. You should be able to drop this with the down arrow. Can't garantee how smooth it will be and if you jack the polys up too much the exporter will lock up and crash bryce.

Also if you want a back side to the text you need to use symetrical lattice tool not the terrain editor.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 7:27 AM
Forum Moderator

Tomatoes / tormartoes

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 8:39 AM

Quote - Tomatoes / tormartoes

:) hehehehe..

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 8:42 AM · edited Sun, 08 March 2009 at 8:44 AM

The Logo is made of a black and white Bitmap(Picture),  No TTF.

I didnt even think of trying to bring it into Wings.

and Like Electroglyph mentioned, I tired to export into OBJ and I've manged to crash too many times so I gave up doing that route.

I have wings installed but dont know how to use it, will try and figure it out.

dhama ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 10:00 AM

Bryce prefers .cob to .obj, so use that when possible.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 11:42 AM
Forum Moderator

.cob ??

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 12:27 PM

Cob is another of those old corny formats:)Truespace to be exact. You can never get enough veggies in your daily rendering.

dhama ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 12:30 PM

It seems to be the most stable format to use with Bryce.

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 2:48 PM
Forum Moderator

Smacks of heresy to me!

dhama ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 3:36 PM

No, can't be heresy when Bryce actually allows imports.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Sun, 08 March 2009 at 9:53 PM

I've used imported letters from paint programs.  I had best results with high resolution in the paint program, import as a height map into Bryce terrain editor, smooth it , smooth it, make the terrain solid and clip the tops and base off to square it up.  You don't get the edge that a lattice creates.

Now some heresy, Hexagon can create some nice 3d lettering within the program and they can be exported to Bryce.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 19 April 2009 at 2:54 PM · edited Sun, 19 April 2009 at 2:54 PM

file_428997.jpg

Over a month late on commenting on this, but hey, I'm still catching up with forum posts.

I've done this a LOT (Photoshop lettering to Bryce Terrain), and the absolute best way (if you are going to use Photoshop) is to make a new, grayscale 16-bit image in Photoshop and go from there with your text.

I always stick to documents that are sized to the power of two, meaning; 512, 1024, 2048, 4096. It used to be Bryce HAD to have this size or it would resize it for you, so you weren't getting the EXACT pixels. Meaning...if you imported a 4000x4000 image into Bryce, it would enlarge it by 96 pixels on each side, thus changing your text edges (slightly but, still)

Each font is different, but with 2048 images, I gaussian blur by 1, maybe 2 pixels. And 4096 images by 2 or 3 pixels.

The above example is 2048x2048, with a gaussian blur of 1 pixel.

• Note 1 - There is nothing you can do about the giant bounding box. I just swing the camera under the infinite plane, and adjust the terrain until a liitle bit of its bottom is sticking through the pane.

• Note 2 - Yes, Photoshops Gaussian Blur is much better than the blur option in Bryce's Terrain Editor. Use Photoshop to blur. Also, when using text in Photoshop there is an Anti-Aliasing option right next to the font size box (near the top of the gui), always set it to Smooth.

AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 19 April 2009 at 5:37 PM

Awesome Info AS!! Thanks for sharing the info... and thanks of the PIC :) I can use that for my windows Background. :)

I will try the Gaussian Blur and see how it goes.

cmcc ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 4:16 PM · edited Sun, 26 April 2009 at 4:22 PM

file_429544.jpg

thought i'd give the wings 3d idea a shot. instead of working around an image of letters made with photoshop i cheated and used the wings 3d letters. to browse the fonts i found i had to make a new folder and transfer the contents of the windows font file to it. since i have vista this wasn't as easy a task as you might imagine.

Computer Art by Charles McChesney

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 4:56 PM

I've got some great results thanks to the Info/Tips in this thread.

cmcc: In my case, its not a font that I'm using, its a bitmap of a logo, so I cant reproduce it in a Font format.  But using the Terrain editor in bryce allows me to turn it into 3d, in a very easy and efficient way.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 11:23 PM · edited Sun, 26 April 2009 at 11:24 PM

file_429579.jpg

Forever ago, I grabbed DAZ's small jpg logo off their site, and then drew over it in Photoshop but made it much larger for some hi-res rendering.

Experimenting with images in the Terrain Editor has always been my fave Bryce hobbby over the years. (and has always worked well for funky logo work)

AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

cmcc ( ) posted Sun, 26 April 2009 at 11:45 PM

it came out quite well, well agentsmith. i realize x-64 that i was going off topic a bit.

cmcc ( ) posted Mon, 27 April 2009 at 1:37 AM

here's a logo done using the bryce terrain editor and an letter image made with gimp.

cmcc ( ) posted Mon, 27 April 2009 at 1:41 AM

here's a logo done using the bryce terrain editor and an letter image made with gimp.

cmcc ( ) posted Mon, 27 April 2009 at 1:42 AM

file_429584.jpg

cmcc ( ) posted Mon, 27 April 2009 at 2:11 AM

file_429585.jpg

in this one i played with the textures a little more and added a second layer using my gimp image. (actually i tried to do it with the first one but i didn't get it to work.)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.