Wed, Sep 18, 5:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Imported bump quality

WillJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 10:30 AM · edited Mon, 09 October 2023 at 9:18 PM

Hi guys,

I've hit a small snag. I've imported my dinosaurs into my scene as .OBJs without many problems. However, when I render even on highest quality the bumps dont look very good, almost pixilated in appearance. They look fine in Maya so I'm not sure whats happening. How can I fix this? Thanks,

Will.

dburdick ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 2:04 PM

Hi Will,

Check to see that BiLinear Interpolation is enabled for the bump bitmaps.  Go into the material, and right-click to enter the function editor and then select the "Projected Texture Map" node of the bump map.  Make sure BiLinear Interpolation is selected.

WillJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 2:27 PM

It's already set to bilinear, what else might cause it? Thanks for the tip though.

dburdick ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 2:58 PM

Will,

Can you post a small pic of the bumps in maya versus those in Vue.  Perhaps if we see it, we can suggest some other improvements.  Here are some other things to check:

1. Render settings: are you using texture filtering, what are your texture AA setttings

2. Did you try inverting the bump depth - for example, if the depth is set to 0.5 try setting it to -0.5 and see if this makes a difference

3. I assume you are using Object Standard mapping for the bump map material - yes?

WillJ ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 5:02 PM

Thanks for that! I've played around with the settings in your first point and it's improved greatly. Almost done, deadline on friday - eek!!

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 3:24 AM · edited Tue, 05 May 2009 at 3:25 AM

I've had to crank AA up high for bump image maps.  Maybe there is a setting for Vue to leave images as they were imported and not mess them up by default?

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

WillJ ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 4:40 AM

That would be nice wouldn't it. They were a real mess in the first few closeup renders. They look fine now though, thanks for your help once again :-D!

silverblade33 ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 10:00 AM

My stuff is for Poser, and as you've found the solution to your actual problem, but my Poser Optimization tutorial does hold a few points that apply in general for importing figures, .pz3 or obj, that maybe of use toyou, link is in my signature :)

Another thing though is when bump maps images are too small in size you get .jpg artifacts showing, damn I hate that, which is why I always keep copies of originals of textures, so I can use big originals for bump/displacements if necessary.

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 3:25 PM

I've found that TGA files get left alone by Vue more than JPG.  For some reason, Vue wants to compress JPG files even further during import.  And BMP's are too big RAM-wise to be using.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 11 October 2009 at 2:52 PM · edited Sun, 11 October 2009 at 2:54 PM

I've been playing with Infinite Vue 7.51's bumps and found a way that works once again:

The secret is to use a low value of 0.1 for small objects around a foot or two in size. A value of 1 is for use on larger objects that could be 50ft or more in size. Bilinear interpolation should be used on bump texture maps. A "-" sign will invert the bumps.

The "-" sign was broken in some instances before.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.