Sat, Sep 21, 4:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Problem setting constraints...

MatCreator ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2009 at 4:46 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:41 PM

If the 5 month wait for this new product doesnt kill me, all the drama to make it ready for Carrara sure will do the trick =P

Actually, its coming along quite nice, just a snag here and there, but thats expected for something this serious...

ANYWAYS, Im having trouble (yes again =D) applying constraints.

The piece in question this time is a simple window... Im setting constraints so that the motion is restricted to just the window frame, users could slide the windows open or closed or push the latch to the side. The latch was easy, the windows are (pardon the expression) a real pane =)

The upper and lower parts just need a simple slider constraint, its NOT that I dont know how to apply them, but the behavior on them is totally NOT what it should be...

First off, Carrara isnt letting me apply numeric values for the Z posion (the others are locked), and even further trying to reposition them it "feels" as if I have collision detection on, (and its NOT), but Carrara is giving trouble moving the pieces freely or not moving "fluidly" w/ the constrainst on, if it decides to move at all... Ive set many constraints before, I cant understand why this would happen, something really easy just NOT following through w/ whats expected...

Either pieces wont move at all, or will move way too much. If I want to move the Z axis, even set to free, it wont move, but will move in the Y axis even though it is locked. Moving left to right moves it up and down, and all sorts of quirkiness going on... But its ONLY this piece and ONLY when I set constraints on it...

Not to mention we cant input numbers into sliders, thats a REAL problem in itself (I know we can nudge the sliders in increments of 1 or by holding shift 10, but thats not going to help move things in smaller increments)...

At this point I know a screencap wont help much, I have the file ready for download if someone wouldnt mind explaining wth is going on...

If I wasnt bald Id pull out my hair, but ill try some oolong tea instead =)

Any help would really be appreciated...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

bevans84 ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 12:18 PM

Just tried it and it looks like the slider constraint is hosed.
If you set both y and z for limited movement, then bring both ends in tight to eliminate any movement on the y axis, you can set the z parameters (as long as you don't have to enter any negative numbers)
It won't work with both the x and y locked.

It's easier to use full constraints and lock everything but the z translation.

MatCreator ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 2:30 PM

Thanks for the input, gonna try that out asap and let you know how it goes...

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

MatCreator ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 3:31 PM

?!?

This guy is good...

You did that w/o even needing the file =B

Thanks a ton!!!

MatCreator ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 3:38 PM

Ummm...

I actually have another question, related to constraints, not related to the prior question, but rather than start a new thread, and since I have your attention anyway, I figure.......

Im trying to set up vertical blinds...

How can I set the blinds to mimic the rotation of 1?!? If I adjust the hotpoint/center of them all, the individual blinds rotate around that. I can select all of them and rotate in unison, but Id like to set up a 1 piece control w/ 1 constraint type set up, if that makes any sense...

I really appreciate the help, your such a nice vict, I mean nice person =D

bevans84 ( ) posted Mon, 04 May 2009 at 6:34 PM

I seem to remember Mark doing something like that in one of the VTC tutorials, but I can't remember if all were selected or exactly how it was done.
A morph could probably work, but it might take a bit of trial and error.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 2:05 AM

For a single control solution, you'll need to use Cognito by DCG. 

Mark

whkguamusa ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 3:06 AM · edited Tue, 05 May 2009 at 3:08 AM

You could use a Track modifier.
Set up your master - then duplicate it and rename.
make the clone "Track" the rotation of the master.
Each clone you duplicate from the second copy will have the track modifier already set to track the master.
Rotate the master and all the dupes will follow, rotating around their own local centers.

wayne k
guam usa 

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 05 May 2009 at 8:39 AM

I hadn't thought of that Wayne. Nice solution.
Mark

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 6:53 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas =D

The track modifier worked like a charm, was real easy to set up. However I wonder if thats a good solution for animators (Im trying so hard to keep them in mind in EVERYTHING Im doing for this set) and the mechanics behind the track modifier may not result in desired effects...

Its works great, but there is the "lag" in reaction time (turn the control, wait, and then the others move...), Im trying to get a simultaneous reaction of the rotating blinds (turn the control, the other clones move/rotate at the same time)...

I have a question on those plug-ins, having been exposed to them and their usefulness Im totally open to the idea...

If I set up something to be distributed/made for sale, and I use the plugins, will people who dont have the plug-in need it to have the functionality embedded w/i the item made on my end?!? Meaning, if I was to use the plugs to make something, how does that work for people who use the item who dont have the plugin?!?

Again, many thanks for responding.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 7:07 AM

Well, if the end user doesn't have the plug-in, it simply wont work. ;-)

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 7:10 AM

=B

I try not to "assume" =D

Am I the only one in the dark about the plugins?!?

If you had to guess, what percentage of Carrara users have them?!? Even further, since Im new to the whole issue of them, is there a complete list of available plugins for Carrara?!?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 7:33 AM

I wouldn't guess. If you're building content for sale, it's best to use the Carrara-only solutions. Wayne's is a good method to employ.

MatCreator ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 8:43 AM

Todays my anniversary, if my wife seems my on the PC Im a dead man, but wanted to say thanks.

Still, hit me w/ some plug-in links Mark =D

I just realized that DCG means Digital Carvers Guild?!? The only plugs Ive used so far are Sparrowhawks, and the guy is a rocket scientist... I always hear about them but no one ever talks about how and when theyre using them or point out how they benefit...

Or maybe Im just not paying attention?!?

:: dont answer that :::

Still, Im more and more blown at how awesome Carrara is, so many features to find out and explore. Its like, "a serious 3D program"... Never had one of those before, just Bryce and Poser =P

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Wed, 06 May 2009 at 9:54 AM

These are all the links I have in my list for Carrara plug ins:

Digital Carvers Guild
Sparrowhawke 3D
Inagoni
Shoestring Shaders

😄

50parsecs ( ) posted Thu, 07 May 2009 at 1:06 AM

file_430364.jpg

I'm glad you were able to make the constraints work natively. I'm just a happy customer, with no connection to DCG. I have several of Eric's fine plug-ins. They add animation, texture, or other functionality that Carrara doesn't have right out of the gate. Updates have been free also. Try getting that from the plug-in developers for the "major" 3D apps.    I'm not trying for SSP here, but here is an example of a prop for an animation I am working on. Other than a couple of texture maps I made, I've used EnhanceC in all the shaders I used on this old house model. The extra noises and functions helped me to get the weathered effect I was looking for. I plan to use "Anything Goos" to add extra grime and grit to my roof and foundation next. I totally agree; Carrara is a serious app.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.