Fri, Sep 20, 12:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Poser 8... First Impressions

sunfirexed ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 9:30 AM

It's ok, SeanMartin, this tool is amazing!

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 11:09 AM

Until such time... and maybe afterwards... the Poser 8 Library features have been upgraded... XL is a must have program..!

Works flawlessly with my Poser 8 in Windows 7 64 bit.

Features I particularly like...

The fact that you can see your item png's properly as in previous versions of Poser... and... without all the info printed on them. Nice as that feature is within Poser 8... it is not required all the time and should have an option to display it or not display it.

The fact that when you select to conform an item of clothing to a figure that is not its original size... it conforms and fits correctly first time, without the need to Set Figure Parent and then Conform to figure as one has to do in Poser 8.

The fact that you can add as many props, items, etc., as you wish to your scene at the same time... as opposed to adding them individually.

Much as I like some of the features in the Poser 8 Library... I no longer use it.

If... the best features of the Poser 8 Library and XL could be combined... then we would have the perfect Library and functions.

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

teknology3d ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 11:22 AM

Quote -

Until such time... and maybe afterwards... the Poser 8 Library features have been upgraded... XL is a must have program..!

Works flawlessly with my Poser 8 in Windows 7 64 bit.

Features I particularly like...

The fact that you can see your item png's properly as in previous versions of Poser... and... without all the info printed on them. Nice as that feature is within Poser 8... it is not required all the time and should have an option to display it or not display it.

The fact that when you select to conform an item of clothing to a figure that is not its original size... it conforms and fits correctly first time, without the need to Set Figure Parent and then Conform to figure as one has to do in Poser 8.

The fact that you can add as many props, items, etc., as you wish to your scene at the same time... as opposed to adding them individually.

Much as I like some of the features in the Poser 8 Library... I no longer use it.

If... the best features of the Poser 8 Library and XL could be combined... then we would have the perfect Library and functions.

I'm totaly agree in every word. Is a time saver and great utility.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 12:46 PM · edited Mon, 10 August 2009 at 12:48 PM

Wow, I'm a total dunce. I'm supposed to be setting figure parent and conforming? I've just been doing the latter. I feel really dumb... :blushing:

As for the D3D utility - I like the sound of that conforming feature... but so far I like the P8 library just as it is.

I've mostly been rendering though... see how I like it once I start setting up new scenes.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 12:52 PM

Quote - Wow, I'm a total dunce. I'm supposed to be setting figure parent and conforming? I've just been doing the latter. I feel really dumb... :blushing:

As for the D3D utility - I like the sound of that conforming feature... but so far I like the P8 library just as it is.

I've mostly been rendering though... see how I like it once I start setting up new scenes.

You only need to Set Figure Parent before Conforming if you are trying to conform the clothing figure to a figure whose size you have altered from that which the clothing figure was originally designed to fit.

Believable3D ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 1:01 PM

Ah, I see. Well, that's usually the case for me anyway. Maybe that's why I have to fiddle so much getting clothing to fit.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

rty ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 1:45 PM

Add me to the "WTF are they talking about?" folk.

Quote - You only need to Set Figure Parent before Conforming if you are trying to conform the clothing figure to a figure whose size you have altered from that which the clothing figure was originally designed to fit.

What's wrong with conforming to a resized figure, then going into the clothing and change size manually? That's what I do. I need to go into the clothing anyway to set morphs (crosstalk is the first thing I break when buying conforming stuff), so it's not a big deal.

ziggie ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 2:11 PM

Quote - Add me to the "WTF are they talking about?" folk.

Quote - You only need to Set Figure Parent before Conforming if you are trying to conform the clothing figure to a figure whose size you have altered from that which the clothing figure was originally designed to fit.

What's wrong with conforming to a resized figure, then going into the clothing and change size manually? That's what I do. I need to go into the clothing anyway to set morphs (crosstalk is the first thing I break when buying conforming stuff), so it's not a big deal.

I guess different people do things different ways. I am just explaining the way that I personally do things. I am not saying that it is the right or only way of doing things.

Regardless... I do not see the need to bring profanity into my posts.

rty ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2009 at 2:13 PM

Quote - I guess different people do things different ways. I am just explaining the way that I personally do things. I am not saying that it is the right or only way of doing things.

Regardless... I do not see the need to bring profanity into my posts.

Sorry and sorry.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 11 August 2009 at 7:09 AM

Quote - > Quote - I need.... a real manual to read.

You won't get a printed manual, at least not yet. The word is that maybe it will be available in hard copy later.

Thank goodness they haven't done a printed manual yet, as in the pdf version the section on the Library discusses what appears to be the Poser 7 Library...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

maxikg ( ) posted Thu, 13 August 2009 at 4:40 PM

Hi!

Right, if you block connections to 127.0.0.1 host with firewall, for example ESET one, you won't see the library. 
And if you wanna grant the no-problem-access to the folder "c:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser 8RuntimeuiFlexLSMGUIbin-release", without quotes, add the folder here, in this configuration window (open the link in IE, not in FF or something :) ), and make Flash allow the access to it:
www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04a.html

Good luck!

IMP3D ( ) posted Sat, 15 August 2009 at 2:57 PM

So... It might need tweaking to make it work, the new figures don't look very good, the best parts of the new content are the ones I already have, I've got Wardrobe Wizard, and I don't need photorealism. I organise my Runtime so I can browse it intelligently, rather than trying to remember everything and then search for specific items.

I can't see a reason to buy this. Am I missing something?

IMP.

TZORG ( ) posted Sat, 15 August 2009 at 3:52 PM

Help keep the scene alive

It's not the tool used, it's the tool using it

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 15 August 2009 at 4:38 PM

I like Poser 8 so far, but I really do dislike the library. It's wasting way to much memory and I do find it a very dumb decision to make it external from P8. Depending on Flash for a library system and not having it internal is or written in phyton is plain stupid. I'm going to try this library XL to see if it's better. I really think SM made a wrong choice in setting up the library this way and not making it an integral part of Poser. I really do hope they will in future abandon this whole new library.

Well, of to get the eXtended Library for Poser 8. Very odd to see this sold at CP only.....

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

RavynGyrl ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 4:18 AM

Quote - Answers continued...

3) And the major issue for me is that the document window doesn't display properly. This was fixed in an earlier build, but for some reason, it's not working for me in the "final" build with a "hotfix" applied. Whenever I open a new scene, the scene is displayed in the lower-right corner of the document window.
Now, granted, my video card is a Radeon 9200, which may be out dated, but P7 and Poser Pro both worked fine and this issue was fixed in an earlier build of P8, only to be "broken" in the final release.

However, this may be one of times when I'm the only person having this issue. So, this may or may not be an issue for other people. But, if you have an older computer, be aware that existing scene files may not display correctly.

I reported this to the Poser 8 techs, so they know about this issue.

Haven't read any further, but I am also having this problem. In fact, I've been reading the forums to see if anyone else has been having the same issues (also having memory errors which I posted about in another thread).

I'm also using an older system (until my newer one is up and running again with a new power supply) with a Radon 9200 video card. I tried to update the driver and ended up screwing up my computer...my hubby had to make it all better...lol. He found no other more current driver than the one we already have. I haven't tried P7, but I've never had a problem running P6.

I have found that by going into the material room and going back to the pose room fixes the problem...but it would be nice to have a permanent fix for this.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 9:29 AM

I have the same problem. You don't need to go into the material room, at least not if your posing window is undocked. Just tug on the side of the window like you're going to expand it, and the inner scene will pop back into place.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 9:50 AM · edited Sun, 16 August 2009 at 9:51 AM

I would like a built in option to revert Poser 8 back to the non-Flash library. Having the option to choose which you want to use would be my biggest and only request to be in the next patch.

m(_ _)m

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

aeilkema ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 12:05 PM

Quote - I would like a built in option to revert Poser 8 back to the non-Flash library. Having the option to choose which you want to use would be my biggest and only request to be in the next patch.

m(_ _)m

I agree, I've asked for the same!

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

RavynGyrl ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 1:18 PM

Quote - I have the same problem. You don't need to go into the material room, at least not if your posing window is undocked. Just tug on the side of the window like you're going to expand it, and the inner scene will pop back into place.

Ah...didn't think just to tug on the window (yeah, it's undocked). Thanks for the tip.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 2:07 PM

You're welcome. Heh. I discovered it quite accidentally. I was gonna see if I expanded the containing window whether the actual document window would stay in the same place, and I'd be able to see my scene. And pop! It's a bit of a PITA though.

lkendall ( ) posted Sun, 16 August 2009 at 3:09 PM

RavynGyrl & Believable3D:

I have the same issue, and had found that going into the Material Room and out of it fixed the problem.

Thanks Believable3D  for the tip I will try it next time it crops up.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 12:02 PM

after some days i  am now 100% sure that the material room is 2 times slower. if not 3.
its not about the computer because poser pro and 7 worked good . i dont know why but its not good.
am i the only one who noticed this?

i am angry that a material room is slower with a new version

rsg ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 12:32 PM · edited Tue, 18 August 2009 at 12:33 PM

Quote - I would like a built in option to revert Poser 8 back to the non-Flash library. Having the option to choose which you want to use would be my biggest and only request to be in the next patch.

m(_ _)m

I've been reading nearly every thread on P8 since it's release and, I remember bagginsbill saying that the old library no longer exists, a non-Flash version would have to be coded from the ground up.  I seem to recall him saying it at least once, possibly more. It would be nice as an option but I don't know how realistic that is to hope for.

Synpainter ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 12:32 PM

Material Room ABSOLUTELY lags... (Mac version)
For me it even crashes on occasion...

Although I recall having Issues in P7 when it first released, similar.

Been through this whole scenario a few times...I am in the "Give it time" mode.
It will get better.

Presently I am using P7 for Material and setups, save, reopen in P8 :)

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 1:49 PM
Site Admin

Quote - am i the only one who noticed this?

No you're not.  It is very very slow compared to P7.  Even when there's only one figure in the scene with a simple texture and no shaders.

I hope it's one of the issues to be addressed in the upcoming service release.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 2:14 PM

Yeah something is definitely wrong there, I have the same concern (slow behavior in the materials room).  Has anybody reported this "officially"?

My Freebies

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 18 August 2009 at 5:50 PM

I haven't complained officially, though I did comment in the SR1 thread. My primary issue in the Material Room is trying to navigate with that ridiculous horizontal scrollbar that's what- 3 pixels high? Anyway, that's not new, but compared to Poser Pro, the scrolling/Material room display is slower, jerkier, and has a lag. Not good at all.

If they're going to have that silly horizontal display as it is, at least it should be accessible to the mouse wheel somehow (say by clicking Alt while scrolling or something).

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 6:29 AM

is it just me or is the blur on RT shadows different ? i think we can do now more blur then in poser pro and 7. i think this is very good.
because i remember when i used spot lights and set blur to 20 that it was not enough.

was it changed? i think its better now. but i still want ''samples''.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 6:34 AM

Quote -
Yeah something is definitely wrong there, I have the same concern (slow behavior in the materials room).  Has anybody reported this "officially"?

Just curious here. I've read at least three reports of overall slower display performance as compared to Poser Pro and Poser 7. Document display, that is, but this could tie into it, I imagine.

This concerns me considerably, because Poser has traditionally had far better display performance in OpenGL than every other 3D app out there, at least as far as moving high poly stuff around goes. I'd hate to think they've degraded it any.

How is your display speed with a large scene in OpenGL, with large textures and transparency maps?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 8:34 AM

Quote - is it just me or is the blur on RT shadows different ? i think we can do now more blur then in poser pro and 7. i think this is very good.
because i remember when i used spot lights and set blur to 20 that it was not enough.

was it changed? i think its better now. but i still want ''samples''.

Guess what? Shadow samples is implemented, secretly!!!!!

In Poser Python, there is a method called SetShadowSamples for light actors. I do not know why this parameter does not have a dial in the GUI, but now with the new Python interface we can add a light control panel that has this parameter, and it can stay on the screen all the time!!!

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 8:36 AM

file_437499.jpg

Here is a traditional Poser ray-traced shadow with blur=10. Only one light is used so the shadow grain is really obvious. The default shadow samples = 19 here.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 8:36 AM

file_437500.jpg

And here is shadow samples = 128!!!!

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:01 AM

Quote -
Guess what? Shadow samples is implemented, secretly!!!!!

In Poser Python, there is a method called SetShadowSamples for light actors. I do not know why this parameter does not have a dial in the GUI, but now with the new Python interface we can add a light control panel that has this parameter, and it can stay on the screen all the time!!!

That looks pretty cool.
How come that's not an advertised feature? It seems something like that should have been mentioned.
Now I'm becoming more interested in Poser 8.
Any other secrets hiding in there?

lkendall ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:12 AM · edited Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:15 AM

If I understand what I have read, more of the inner workings of Poser/Firefly are exposed to Python and wxPython scripts in Poser 8. Undoubtedly as script writters get familiar with these new capabilities they will offer more power to the users.

Please explain (briefly and simply if possible) Shadow Blur and Shadow Samplesused with Raytracing. What kind of render times is one talking about with high and low Shadow Samples? How will these settings interact with IDL?

LMK

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:13 AM

I don't know why it isn't mentioned or has a property widget for it in the GUI. Stefan has a habit of adding features like a madman, but the UI guys can't keep up. I imagine he slipped it in too late to add.

What other secrets lurk? Well there's another parameter called ShadowBiasMax - not sure how that affects things. Up to now, we only had ShadowBiasMin. Since ShadowBiasMin prevents throwing a shadow within a certain distance, I would guess that ShadowBiasMax prevents throwing a shadow beyond a certain distance. That could be interesting. It may make it possible to use a local spotlight on something, such as a face, but have it not throw a shadow over a long distance. Just guessing here.

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:15 AM

and where is this?

and why was this not mentioned? 

Mike i today found some pretty good and handy scripts. i didnt saw anywhere promotion for this.

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:18 AM

Quote - I don't know why it isn't mentioned or has a property widget for it in the GUI. Stefan has a habit of adding features like a madman, but the UI guys can't keep up. I imagine he slipped it in too late to add.

What other secrets lurk? Well there's another parameter called ShadowBiasMax - not sure how that affects things. Up to now, we only had ShadowBiasMin. Since ShadowBiasMin prevents throwing a shadow within a certain distance, I would guess that ShadowBiasMax prevents throwing a shadow beyond a certain distance. That could be interesting. It may make it possible to use a local spotlight on something, such as a face, but have it not throw a shadow over a long distance. Just guessing here.

i will later open a seperate thread only for scripts in poser 8.

people need to know about this.  the light manager is also fantastic. it will help so much.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:21 AM

Quote - If I understand what I have read, more of the inner workings of Poser/Firefly are exposed to Pytho and wxPython scripts in Poser 8. Undoubtedly as script writters get familiar with these new capabilities they will offer more power to the users.

Please explain (briefly and simply if possible) Shadow Blur and Shadow Samplesused with Raytracing. What kind of render times is one talking about with high and low Shadow Samples? How will these settings interact with IDL?

LMK

Raytraced shadow blur is used to create soft edges on the shadows. Normally, a raytraced shadow is a single ray from the shaded point to the light. If anything gets in the way, that light is blocked and doesn't contribute luminance. To implement blur, more than one ray is sent, in a cone, towards the light. The amount of shadowing is then proportional to the fraction of these rays that do or do not hit something on their way to the vicinity of the light. In other words, the light is treated as a disk instead of a point, and multiple sections of the disk are sampled.

The problem with this approach is that the exact position of these samples is a bit non-deterministic. Slight variations can cause the same cone ray to hit or miss, because the cone rays from adjacent rendered points are not laid out identically. This produces a sort of random probability that ray #x will hit in one spot, and miss in another very close spot, producing a random smattering of shadow speckles. By using more rays, you're getting a better statistical sample, so you're less likely to get the speckles.

More samples adds to render time. For simple objects, it isn't much time - maybe a few seconds. For complex objects and objects with transparency, it could add a lot of time, so you want to use it sparingly. However, now that we can get better realism, this sort of thing matters. As I've said before, I'm not happy to render for 10 hours, but an overnight render that looks fantastic is preferable to a 1 hour render that does not look fantastic.

I do not have time at the moment to do extensive testing, so I can't say how this really affects IDL. I doubt it matters to IDL whether the shadow is smoothly blurred or not.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:23 AM

What you have there is almost area light quality, really. In appearance at least, the way it is. A true area light would soften on the edges with distance of course, and fade entirely eventually.
But that min and max bias deal might be a step towards a workaround.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:28 AM

Here are all the things you can set on a light. Some of these are simply because a light is a kind of actor, not light-specific.

SetAlignmentRotationXYZ
SetAmbientOcclusion
SetAmbientOcclusionBias
SetAmbientOcclusionDistance
SetAmbientOcclusionStrength
SetAtmosphereStrength
SetBackfaceCull
SetBends
SetCastsShadows
SetCreaseAngle
SetDisplacementBounds
SetDisplayStyle
SetEndPoint
SetGeometry
SetIncludeInBoundingBox
SetLightAttenType
SetLightOn
SetLightType
SetLocalTransformCallback
SetName
SetOnOff
SetOrientation
SetOrigin
SetParameter
SetParent
SetRangeConstant
SetRangeLinear
SetRangeSpline
SetRayTraceShadows
SetShadingRate
SetShadow
SetShadowBiasMax
SetShadowBiasMin
SetShadowBlurRadius
SetShadowSamples
SetSmoothPolys
SetSplineBreak
SetStatic
SetVertexCallback
SetVisible
SetVisibleInReflections
SetVisibleInRender

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:30 AM

OK, you're talking about specific Poser Python commands or whatever you programmer types call it, aren't you? Meaning, the functionality for such a thing, but not actually there?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:36 AM

The functionality is there and it works - it is actually hooked up to the render engine, not just a dummy function. The only problem is there isn't a place to type in the value in the Properties tab. But we can make a plug-in that gives you a place to type in the values you want, so you don't have to type Python commands yourself.

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:41 AM

That's what I thought you meant, after reading it a second time.
Well let me know when you've got that in there and I'll join y'all in Poser 8. ;-)

richardson ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:45 AM
lkendall ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:46 AM · edited Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:51 AM

Is there already a Python script that exposes the Shadow Samples?

Could it be added easily to an existing script (such as the Render Control Panel)?

LMK

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:48 AM · edited Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:49 AM

Quote - Is there already a Python script that exposes the Shadow Samples.

Could it be added easily to an existing script (such as the Render Control Panel)?

LMK

There is a P8 included script for making a new lighting control panel. I think this could be added pretty easily to it.

It is in the menu Scripts/Partners/ShaderWorks/Light Panel

It could also be added to the Scripts/Partners/Dimenion3D/Render Firefly

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:55 AM · edited Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:57 AM

Quote - Guess what? Shadow samples is implemented, secretly!!!!!

That's pretty nifty info, thanks.

My Freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 9:56 AM

More good news. I fixed the arrow keys in the library GUI. They used to stop working randomly. No more!!!!

Damn, I've been working on that problem for 9 weeks.

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 10:05 AM

Quote - There is a P8 included script for making a new lighting control panel. I think this could be added pretty easily to it.

I see how to do this, but I don't know if it's allowable to redistribute this script.  I didn't blink about the materials Diffuse_Value loop script I modified the other day just because it's so simple (it's only 15 lines or so) but this is a little more substantial.  Who is "Shaderworks"?

My Freebies

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 20 August 2009 at 10:07 AM

Shaderworks is Colm from RDNA, I think.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.