Fri, Sep 20, 8:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara 6 & 7.2 broken in Snow Leopard (MacOS 10.6)

sigmadog ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2009 at 6:24 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:47 AM

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard yesterday and the only casualty of the migration seemed to be Carrara 6 Pro. When I opened it, the GUI fonts were missing; all the menus were empty of text and unresponsive. I tried upgrading to Carrara 7.2 Pro, but the same issue exists; empty menus, all text missing in the GUI.

I tried opening the Package Contents of the Carrara app and found a font, Meta Sans lurking there. I copied it to my font management utility and activated it, but no joy. The text is still missing from the GUI.

I also tried looking through the preferences text file for Carrara 7 (users/MYNAME/Library/Preferences/DAZ 3D/Carrara 7/Preferences.txt) to see if there was a specific font specified (in hopes of changing it) and couldn't find any.

So, if anybody is considering upgrading to Snow Leopard, think twice if Carrara is an essential tool for your daily work. For me, it's just an annoyance, as I don't use it too often, though I'd still like to get this issue fixed.

sigmadog ( ) posted Sat, 29 August 2009 at 11:38 PM

Just heard on another forum that Carrara is working fine with Snow Leopard for some, though others are having the same problem.

It's a glitch, but appears to only be affecting some of us.

At any rate, be prepared.

bwtr ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 12:43 AM

Did you follow Martins instructions?

http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/azproduct/7265

Brian

bwtr

sigmadog ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2009 at 9:50 AM

Quote - Did you follow Martins instructions?

http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/azproduct/7265

Brian

Thanks, Brian.

I'm not sure what you mean. That tutorial is for a specific scene and includes instructions for loading the stuff for that scene, not the program itself. I didn't see anything there that would apply to my situation.

Or am I missing something?

sigmadog ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2009 at 4:26 PM

file_438428.jpg

It's mighty disconcerting to be staring at that whenever I start Carrara.

sfdex ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 12:13 AM

I had the same issue when I just fired up Carrara.  I have tried C6P and C7P and have no text at all.

I went to Daz to see if there's anything there about it, and of course there's not.

I tried to file a bug report, but their bug report system seems to be down.  Or at least not willing to listen to me.

I'm really getting sick of how poorly Daz treats Mac users.  Probably time to jump over to C4D or something that takes its users seriously....

Grr.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 6:46 AM · edited Tue, 01 September 2009 at 6:55 AM

I've made sure that this is reported. I haven't upgraded to SL myself.

Normally I'd suggest changing to another font from preferences but that's kind of tough to do when you can't read anything in preferences. 

I'll post in here as soon as a hack or patch is made known.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 6:50 AM

Ok, here's the first hack to get this working from pureshift in the DAZ forums:

I found a work around. I went to the preferences file at /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/DAZ 3D/Carrara 7 and opened up the Preferences.txt. Search for font in that file I changed it to: 
FONT "Arial" 

I'm now able to see all of the text in Carrara albeit there's some strange characters in the file menu.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 6:53 AM · edited Tue, 01 September 2009 at 6:54 AM

And, from DCG's Eric Winemiller, the font location is found in the preferences file here:

–––––––––––––––––

imag { 
disk "/Users/ewinemiller/Documents/DAZ 3D/" 
corr 0 
TSus 1 
TSrm 0.25 

unts { 
3dun 1 
tmun 0 
fpsP 24 
RnID 1919840868 
TwID 1818848869 
CrMs 0 
AkMs 1 

oglP { 
OWPV 1 
dlst 1 

ffmt { 
Encd 0 

intf { 
FONT "Geneva" 

cofl { 
CSoL 0 

CSch { 
majr 0.536751,0.446601,0.357916 
minr 0.718761,0.726574,0.35935 

sigmadog ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 9:49 AM

Thanks, Mark.

I've found that tip as well, and it allowed me to restore Carrara 6 to working order (I restored the old preference file from Time Machine - very handy!).

Half-way there.

But when I went to modify the Preferences.txt file in Carrara 7, the file had no "intf" setting at all. It's like it was incomplete. I uninstalled Carrara 7 and tried reinstalling it on the theory that maybe something went awry the first time, but still the "intf" setting was completely missing. So I tried simply adding it myself:

intf {
FONT "Helvetica"
}

But that didn't accomplish anything either. I suspect that my Preferences.txt file is incomplete in some other way as well, but I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to figure out what is missing.

I wonder, would the Carrara 6 preferences file work for Carrara 7? Any other ideas?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 10:47 AM

I think where it's placed is important - right behind the ffmt declaration.

Don't know why it doesn't show up unless you need to launch the application first so it "writes" the file. That preference file is dynamic and updates every time you work with Carrara.

sigmadog ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 11:59 AM · edited Tue, 01 September 2009 at 12:02 PM

Mark;
Yes, you have to launch the app in order to generate the preferences file. I tried looking for it after installing and before I launched it, and it didn't exist. Once I launched Carrara 7, a preferences file was created.

Here is a portion of my Preferences.txt file that Carrara 7 generated. The section you posted from Eric Winemiller began with the "imag" declaration, but mine does not have that. So I begin with the "unts" declaration, which appears second in Winemillers file. Note the utter disparity between the items in both lists.

unts {
   3dun 1
   tmun 0
   }
  3Dvw {
   }
  modm {
   }
  srnm {
   }
  mpmp {
   }
  prop {
   }
  btqm {
   DOwP 1
   }
  ScPr {
   }
  hier {
   }
  shmn {
   splt 1
   shdo 1
   filt 1
   }
  shdm {
   }
  mdlr {
   Resz 1
   Valu 0.5
   Line 1
   Show 1
   Snap 0
   }
  Stry {
   }
  vmdr {
   Tole 0
   }
  }
 MxDc 3,3Dvw,modm,Stry
 CMpf {
   ICCp bCMM
  }
 Modu {
  btqm {
xdat {
Stte 0
 }
isEx 1
   }
  }

After this text, it goes into the "Brow" declarations "Shad", and the rest. There is no "ffmt", no "intf", no "oglP" and no "cofl" declarations - none at all - within the entire file. It is quite perplexing.

I put in a support ticket at DAZ on Saturday. Their autoresponse email indicated they would get back to me within 2 business days. So I'm hoping to hear from them today.

I'm beginning to regret my purchase of Carrara 7, but all will be forgiven if I can get this sucker running.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 12:43 PM

Can't really provide any insights here. My preferences do not correspond with yours at all - and have declarations where yours are empty. 

I'll be interested to hear what the fix is.

sfdex ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 4:06 PM

Thanks, Mark, Eric at DCG, and everyone else who helped figure this workaround out.  This forum rocks.

Still thinking that Daz really doesn't care much about making sure Carrara is really Mac compatible (despite the fact that this issue is less to do with Daz and more to do with the new OS), but at least I can continue to use it until I get up to speed on something else.

- Dex

sigmadog ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 5:44 PM

I've solved it (with help from here and the DAZ 3D forums). Here is my entry from there, which I hope will help others experiencing the same issue:

SUCCESS!

I loaded OSX 5.6 on a secondary HD and installed C7Pro there. It opened up with fonts. I entered my name and serial number in the form to initialize the program. I closed it and checked the Preferences.txt file and it appeared similar to the versions I've seen by others, files that actually worked.

I copied the file to my primary HD, modified the FONT declaration, and restarted in Snow Leopard.

I launched C7Pro, but was disappointed to find that no fonts appeared, just the following empty form:

HOWEVER...

Having just seen that screen when I loaded C7Pro on my secondary HD, I knew what that form was asking:

Name<br></br>
Serial Number

So, even though I could not see what I was typing, and there was no moving cursor feedback to indicate that any text was being entered, I nevertheless entered my name and serial number in the appropriate boxes, and clicked the right-side button at the bottom...

VIOLA! Suddenly the fonts appeared, my program was initialized, and everything appeared in its proper place! From this experience I believe that the program only writes a proper Preferences.txt file after the the serial number is entered, whether or not the fonts are visible.

So here is a simple potential solution for those having problems with missing fonts in Snow Leopard:

1. Uninstall C7Pro from your computer along with any serial number information (I think the "Remove CarraraPro" application will do all of this, but check the libraries just in case). Mainly you want to be forced to re-enter the serial number in that initial form.

2. Reinstall C7Pro and launch the program.

3. You should get a screeen with nothing but the image above. Carefully input your name in the upper text box, and VERY CAREFULLY input your serial number in the lower text box.

4. Click the bottom-right button on the form.

If this doesn't work, then follow VFX13's advice, or something similar (like I did):

**- Erase and install install OSX 5.8 (and software update)

• Install & update Carrara 7 (Pro)
  • Set font in the preference.txt file to Times
  • Install OSX 6, Hit CUSTOMIZE, check Rosetta
  • Carrara SHOULD work perfectly.** **
    I hope this works for everyone. It's a shame it took so long to figure this out (and without any help from DAZ).

Good luck to all.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2009 at 5:48 PM

Glad you got it rolling!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.