Tue, Oct 22, 12:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: Poser 8 "cannot load texture" problem solved

Magik1 ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 10:12 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:40 PM

Hi all. Just thought i'd let you know, in case it affects you, that my  "unable to load texture/out of memory" error has now been solved...thanks to the Smith Micro team who reacted to my ticket extremely quickly.  I only had this problem with my "clothing" textures (Dredded underscore problem?) and the secret is to install any clothing runtime folders in the "C" drive / My Documents folder (Vista home 64bit) and NOT on a separate drive. Kinda defeats the object of being able to use external runtimes, I Know, but IT DOES WORK!!!  Yippeeee!!!

Hope this helps some of you.

Thanks SM for the assistance

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 10:25 AM
Online Now!

Thanks.  Will definitely keep this in mind when a problem like this crops up.

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 10:32 AM · edited Fri, 11 September 2009 at 10:32 AM

i willl not do this. i have my own folders that ahve been working very good. and now they are not. i will not move my folders with textures in this folder.

SM thanks for this in 2009.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 10:59 AM · edited Fri, 11 September 2009 at 11:00 AM

Well.. it may help you but it's not a patented Solution™.

I have ALL my Poser stuff on my external K: - and I AM running Vista. And I have no problems with Poser finding my textures. So there must be something  else that triggers the error, or we would all suffer from it, which we (luckily) don't.

I'm glad it solved your problem, but it's a clunky workaround, not a real solution though. C: should be for the OS only. Everything else should preferably be on other drives/partitions. No matter what Micro$oft thinks.

But sure, if you're having the problem, it's worth a try. Especially if your computer is set up with plenty of space on the C: in the first place (Mine isn't)

On another (but related) note - the ALL CAPS extenstions affects CR2's as well as PZ2s. I found out the other day where I was pulling my hair out because Poser refused to load my new cr2. Until I checked, and sure enough, it was called CR2 in caps. Once I changed it to cr2, everything was fine.

I'm not sure if this MAY affect some of the textures as well. If the texture map is called .JPG or PNG or whatever - since Poser 8 apparently doesn't like shouting...

Again, I haven't had the problem just yet, but then again I'm mainly been using my own textures so far, for testing purposes, so perhaps I've just been lucky to avoid the ones that causes trouble.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Magik1 ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 11:28 AM · edited Fri, 11 September 2009 at 11:30 AM

Sure TrekkieGrrrl, it shouldn't have to be like this but it really has been a major headache for me so , at the moment, ANY workaround that enables me to use pose files and render without constantly searching for texture files from the material room is good for me. I hope that SM do sort this one. I wrote this not to imply a complete solution (at least I hope I didn't?) but to maybe get some folk at least useing Poser8 again, which until now I ,at least , had stopped doing.

As for your comment  "So there must be something  else that triggers the error" Your of course absolutely right  and  whatever  it  is I believe it's been inherent, in one form or another , for ages. There allway's appears to be some pretty  basic bug's in poser that  that right from launch adversly effects some systems and not others...or could it be software conflicts? whatever, I personally, have never used any other software (either 2D or 3D) that has caused me so many headaches .

I use Poser at a fairly basic level but I can understand that for a developer the situation is pretty unacceptable but hopefully SM will get Poser sorted, at least they replied to my  ticket which is a  lot more  than either CL or EF  did. Fingers crossed ah?

lkendall ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 11:32 AM · edited Fri, 11 September 2009 at 11:40 AM

There are several causes for this problem. The one that messed me up is in the pathway name. If the name of a directory in the pathway has a number or one of several other characters, then Poser drops the first letter of that directory name. In my case it was always a directory like ...V4Clothsruntime... . Poser expects something like ...Poser8runtime... .

I could manually add the textures, and Poser8 would find them until I closed and restarted the program. Then I would have to add them again.

I renamed (with Roman numberals) some directories to VivCloths, etc. and now deep search can find the textures. I am hoping for a fix in SR1, any, any, any day now. :)

lmk

[PS: If P8 is dropping the first letter of a directory in the path, and thus not loading a texture, you can find out which runtime library is corrupted in the Advanced Material Room. Choose the texture that is not loading, and click on its name. The list of loaded textures will appear. Look for the blue checkmark by the pathway names. Scroll down if you need to. When you find the blue check, study the names of the directories in the path. If one of then is missing the first character, then you have the same problem I had. That is the directory in the runtime pathway that needs a name that does not confuse Poser 8. lmk]

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

smee440 ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 4:39 PM

Yes LMK is correct, this whole external runtime paths issue is a real mess. I hope they can sort it out in SR1.
I have had to rename many of my external runtimes to enable P8 to pick up the textures.
As well as numbers it also has a problem with runtimes that start with the same characters.

Example:
C:GrafixContentHair will work fine but if you add another runtime called C:GrafixContentHairb it will mess up the path to the Hairb textures.
If you rename the Hairb runtime to NewHair it works fine.

Another example:
C:GrafixContentSci-Fi works
C:GrafixContentSci-FiScenery doesn't, but rename it to C:GrafixContentScifi-Scenery and it does.

Can anyone else confirm the 'similar name' path problem?

[url=http://holocrash.smackjeeves.com][img]http://img1.smackjeeves.com/images/uploaded/banners/8/6/86a8be6572n9H.jpg[/img][/url]

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 5:03 PM

Wow so numbering folders with a b c ect would ALSO cause problems? That's  new to me. But not really surprising given Poser 8's idiosyncrasies towards a lot of things that worked fine in earlier versions. Makes me wonder just HOW much o a rewrite has been going on here. More than you'd think if the new bugs are any indicator :)

And while the bugs are annoying (no numbering of runtimes, no caps in file extensions, nousing comma as decimal point ect) it's essentially a GOOD thiung, because it suggests that there has been works going on in the very core modules! 

Once the bugs are eradicated, this'll be the Best Poser ever!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Magik1 ( ) posted Fri, 11 September 2009 at 5:26 PM

Quote; Once the bugs are eradicated, this'll be the Best Poser ever!

Your rite there TrekkieGrrrl. Now that I at least am up and running and using Poser 8 the thing I have noticed is that the renders are awesomely fast compared to past versions, without exageration, on my sytem about 10 times faster on a basic render. Fantastic!

Laylah ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 5:09 AM

I reinstalled Poser 8 onto my D drive where I had all my external runtimes instead and that stopped my can not find texture/out of memory problems. My runtimes now with poser on the same drive and everything works great.

aeilkema ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 7:11 AM · edited Sat, 12 September 2009 at 7:12 AM

It's not the solution but a workaround, the bug still needs fixing. Since I've got better things to do then re-installing everything in new runtimes, I figured out  simple solution a while back. Just copy the problematic textures files to the P:oser 8 runtimes and the problem is gone. Well, it's not really gone, but it's passed by. It's much faster then re-installing Poser or all of my content.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Magik1 ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 10:24 AM

Quote; Just copy the problematic textures files to the P:oser 8 runtimes and the problem is gone.

aeilkema, I tried doing that without success so it does appear that what will work for one system won't for another....what a pain!

Magik1 ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 11:54 AM

OK  I just found something else;  PLEASE READ

Following on from something I read elswhere I decided to put my problematic Runtimes BACK onto my spare drive (D) but where I have texture folder names that start with the same letters, ie;
Victoria4 clothes...Victoria4 hair...Victoria4 shoes etc
I renamed the files; Victoria4 clothes...aVictoria4 hair...bVictoria4 shoes etc.

I did this to any Texture folders that started with the same first letter and, Lo and Behold, it workes like a dream...SO, it's NOT underscores that are my problem.

I now have a perfectly working Poser 8 with EXTERNAL Runtimes on a separate drive and it took me just 10 minutes to sort! Anyone else done this?

Magik1 ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 12:28 PM

Emmendment to the above;

Where I have put "texture folder" I meant "runtime folder"

smee440 ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 2:12 PM

Yes Magik1
I have worked around the 'runtimes starting with the same letters' problem with a similar method (see earlier post in this thread - hairb changed to newhair, sci-fiScenery changed to scifiScenery). But it is a pain having to do it just for Poser 8, they all worked fine in Poser Pro and 7.
It can't be that difficult to fix can it?

[url=http://holocrash.smackjeeves.com][img]http://img1.smackjeeves.com/images/uploaded/banners/8/6/86a8be6572n9H.jpg[/img][/url]

Sparkles ( ) posted Sat, 12 September 2009 at 7:25 PM

I am sorta relieved to see this post, NOT for you all going through this of course not,  but for my own sanity. I posted on this a month or so ago when first go Poser 8.  Noone understood and SmithMicro told me that I installed Poser 8 wrong.  Figured it out on my own to put the runtime files in with the Poser content folder in Documents.  

Now I have just got a new puter and reloaded everything, made sure to choose right option to install Poser 8, wanting to use external for runtimes.  Well it did the same thing, cannot load textures etc... Yeah, what a hassle.  Put everything in same Poser content folder which btw went into public documents again.

Am not going to mess with renaming them all, not until SR1 comes out and see if a fix is made. Works for now. Though I wanted them on external.  Hang in there hopefully they will fix this. :)

Magik1 ( ) posted Tue, 15 September 2009 at 2:26 PM

Just thought i'd let you all know; SM just emailed me RE this problem and it is now a known bug and WILL be fixed in SR1.

Talisman ( ) posted Wed, 16 September 2009 at 10:10 AM

I have 84 linked runtimes on an external USB drive with no loading problems, save for the speed of the HD.

722 ( ) posted Wed, 16 September 2009 at 3:02 PM

I load v3 ,and apply a  texture to her and it ask me for the texture, and when i find them it keeps asking for the texture  over, over againe , (Glich) the only  Way to stops it is through task manager.

Smith macro  techs ,   E-mail me saying that they where going to address this problem in the SR1

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.