Sun, Oct 6, 5:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 8 SR1 now available

ice-boy ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 4:47 AM

looks good.

yes the old shaders wont work. we need to find a way how to tell poser to not use tone mapping on some materials.
and then we need to make a custom VSS shader for GI. yuhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 7:52 AM

Jury still out. Had a scene hang up that I had rendered before. Granted that it was very high Q, and I did adjust the shadow samples, but it rendered before in 2 hours 24 minutes.

Will have to do more experimenting.

At any rate, the quality is definitely better. I did a low-Q render of the same scene, and it got rid of the neck blotchiness I had been experiencing even in the hi-Q render. So that's good.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 8:09 AM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 8:11 AM

Quick note on VSS with IDL + HSV Exponential.

Set PM:Gamma to 1.

Set PM:SSS to .3 or less.

Set PM:Shine to .4.

Looks nice - no structural changes needed.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 8:21 AM

file_439901.jpg

Using those settings for VSS, and a single infinite light + ESphere + IDL + HSVETM, I did this render in 1 minute 54 seconds.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 8:21 AM

thanks for the VSS settings

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Vestmann ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:03 AM

Quote - I have to agree with TrekkieGrrrl, the decimal point/comma bug is annoying as hell. AND, it's an old bug!

We got the same bug with the first release of Poser 5 if I recall correctly. It was fixed quickly with a service release and never showed up again in later Poser versions. I'm very surprised that bug is back with the initial release of Poser 8.

Other than that, Poser 8 SR1 runs great so far.

I found a workaround for this problem. I change my keyboard layout to English while working in Poser. It's not a good solution but it saves up on sanity.

Vestmann's Gallery

Greebo ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:48 AM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:49 AM

Well, it still crashed on a scene I've been working on over the last few weeks, I'm starting to think the  culprit is an oold model I've been using :( Upside, it took a lot less time to get to the point where it enevitably crashes.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 11:36 AM

Quote - Upside, it took a lot less time to get to the point where it enevitably crashes.

That's an Adobe marketing bullet-point if ever I've heard one ....

**• **Productivity and time-saving performance enhancements -- now crashes 40% faster!

Tunesy ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 12:30 PM

Nice job on the service release, guys and gals.  Thanks.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 12:32 PM

Quote - > Quote - I have to agree with TrekkieGrrrl, the decimal point/comma bug is annoying as hell. AND, it's an old bug!

We got the same bug with the first release of Poser 5 if I recall correctly. It was fixed quickly with a service release and never showed up again in later Poser versions. I'm very surprised that bug is back with the initial release of Poser 8.

Other than that, Poser 8 SR1 runs great so far.

I found a workaround for this problem. I change my keyboard layout to English while working in Poser. It's not a good solution but it saves up on sanity.

Ah Good idea! I'll try that until it's fixed properly!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 12:35 PM

file_439910.jpg

Well, it's SR1, something has gone wrong and OpenGL preview is weird on my system. Top is original install with the hotfix, everything fine. Bottom is SR1, textures and eyes are gone. Same settings, latests video drivers installed. Anyone else experiencing OpenGL problems?

I've changed settings, gone to factory defaults, but the problems stays.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 12:44 PM

I can't help because I don't know the OpenGL settings at all.

I wonder if starting a new thread would be a good idea. You'll get more views from people who might know what to do (if anything). If somebody finds a solution, we can link to the thread easily when others ask the same.

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 12:46 PM

I'll do that and thanks for the hotfix suggestion, that worked fine.

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 2:04 PM

file_439919.jpg

Little hic, render engine dont like complexe scene like the pad ...

1 h 53 mn ( phenom x4 9650 8 go ram ) only one onfinite and a square light behind the windows and a bit of reflexion refraction ...

RT bounces 2
IC 80
IDL 50
PS 3
MSR 0.2

But is there progress !

Génération mobiles Le Forum / Le Site

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:20 PM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:21 PM

file_439929.jpg

Try IC=25, IDL=7 MSR=1

23 minutes on my craptop with only 2G ram and a slow dual core processor.

And my render is bigger than yours!

Anthanasius ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:37 PM

Latexluv ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:37 PM

I had a little trouble last night. FFRender kept crashing on me. I discovered two things I'd like to pass on. I checked the Poser TextureCache (found in Documents and Settings/Local Settings/Temp) and it was crammed full with 1.7 gigs of files going back to about the last 4 images I had rendered. I cleaned this cache out manually. Number 2, I don't think P8 likes a bucket size of 16. I put my bucket size back up to 32. After doing both things, I was rendering fine again. This may not be a problem for people with more RAM. My Toshiba Satellite only has 512 megs of RAM, something I need to remedy but money is tight right now.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

fivecat ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 3:41 PM

Things were working well for me until today.  I had to reinstall p8 and the update on vista 64. This is the first time I've had a problem with poser since 6.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 5:27 PM

file_439941.jpg

With a modest loss of quality, I got my render down to 12.5 minutes.

This is good enough for a test render, for sure.

Bounces = 1
IC = 10
ILQ = 2
PS = 3
MSR = 2

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 5:37 PM

If you don't mind me saying so BB, those shadows are way too dark for a scene using GI. Those shadows would be impossible in reality.

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 6:40 PM · edited Wed, 23 September 2009 at 6:42 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_439943.jpg

Alyson Lo Res testing Poser on a bench. No lights in this scene. Just the glowing laptop screen. (click)  (white ambient at 10) Render time on my old poor AMD with 2GB ram just short of 5 minutes. Settings RB 1 IC 4 IQ 4 Samples 3 MSR 0.5

PS, the Poser 8 backdrop has a texture causing the light shadows on the bench.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

pcw5150 ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 8:40 PM

Quote - I had a little trouble last night. FFRender kept crashing on me. I discovered two things I'd like to pass on. I checked the Poser TextureCache (found in Documents and Settings/Local Settings/Temp) and it was crammed full with 1.7 gigs of files going back to about the last 4 images I had rendered. I cleaned this cache out manually. Number 2, I don't think P8 likes a bucket size of 16. I put my bucket size back up to 32. After doing both things, I was rendering fine again. This may not be a problem for people with more RAM. My Toshiba Satellite only has 512 megs of RAM, something I need to remedy but money is tight right now.

That's interesting - I'm having FF render issues as well! I discovered three folders in the User/AppData/Local/Temp/Poser/8.0 folder (Vista 32 bit) and found 1.1 Gb in the texture cache, 30Mb in an "undo cache", and 20Mb or so in a FFrender cache.  Even more interesting is A SECOND PoserTextureCache that contained another 1.1Gb of temporary files - the sames ones I found in the Poser/8.0 subfolder.  I manually cleared all folders - will see if the errors persist.

I also checked my PoserPro folder for cache files - both were totally empty.

Thanks for this thread - else I probably would have shelved P8 yet again.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 9:42 PM

file_439960.jpg

> Quote - If you don't mind me saying so BB, those shadows are way too dark for a scene using GI. Those shadows would be impossible in reality.

I don't mind at all. And I think the real problem is P8 doesn't have gamma correction.

I loaded my previous render into it and applied a new "Artistic Lens" to the previous render. This uses what I'd guess should be called HSV GC.

I expect this is what we'd get from Poser Pro 2010. But since I know how to hack P7 and P8 to do GC, it's not a problem. I'll remember to do this from now on.

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 10:23 PM

I'll just say the earlier render is just a darker room. :)

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 11:03 PM

Quote - I'll just say the earlier render is just a darker room. :)

Just say you started to turned the lights down in the earlier render for a romantic effect with the wifey, especially with the kid off to college :biggrin:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 23 September 2009 at 11:13 PM

Now the damn thing doesn't work at all.

...... Kendra

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 1:39 AM

Quote - > Quote - If you don't mind me saying so BB, those shadows are way too dark for a scene using GI. Those shadows would be impossible in reality.

I don't mind at all. And I think the real problem is P8 doesn't have gamma correction.

I loaded my previous render into it and applied a new "Artistic Lens" to the previous render. This uses what I'd guess should be called HSV GC.

I expect this is what we'd get from Poser Pro 2010. But since I know how to hack P7 and P8 to do GC, it's not a problem. I'll remember to do this from now on.

whait a minute. what about tone mapping? 

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 2:04 AM

file_439971.jpg

1 h 30 with your firsts settings and only one point light from the roof lamp, good but the quality ...

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 2:22 AM

BB, are you abusing that poor little refract node again? Shame on you :P

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 2:45 AM

**Anthanasius

try making the light brighter .** **

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 2:54 AM

Quote - Quick note on VSS with IDL + HSV Exponential.

Set PM:Gamma to 1.

Set PM:SSS to .3 or less.

Set PM:Shine to .4.

Looks nice - no structural changes needed.

thanks for this. it works fantastic.
BB do you maybe have a shader how to use images for reflection ? so that tone mapping doesnt make it brighter?

thanks.

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 3:20 AM

tone mapping is not visible in the material preview ? 

Anthanasius ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 5:07 AM · edited Thu, 24 September 2009 at 5:08 AM

Quote - **Anthanasius

try making the light brighter .** **

You're not forced to cry

And if i want use a 20 Watts light than a 75 Watts ? :-)))

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 5:19 AM

i thought you didnt like it that its  so dark :) 

ziggie ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 5:39 AM

Quote - And if i want use a 20 Watts light than a 75 Watts ? :-)))

It is now illegal for stores in UK to sell 100 watt or above ordinary glass type electric light bulbs... we are slowly being forced to use the totally useless (from a lighting point of view) curlie wurlie, odd shaped energy saving bulbs.

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

ssteph ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 5:55 AM

Could somebody please tell me where these controls are

"Added new controls for setting preview icon size, tool tip delay, path tool tip display, tree indentation, folder thumbnails and item/folder count. "

??

I cannot seem to find them.
Thanks

ssteph ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 6:27 AM

Quote - Could somebody please tell me where these controls are

"Added new controls for setting preview icon size, tool tip delay, path tool tip display, tree indentation, folder thumbnails and item/folder count. "

??

I cannot seem to find them.
Thanks

Never mind I found it....duh :)

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 7:24 AM · edited Thu, 24 September 2009 at 7:25 AM

Quote -

Quote - And if i want use a 20 Watts light than a 75 Watts ? :-)))

It is now illegal for stores in UK to sell 100 watt or above ordinary glass type electric light bulbs... we are slowly being forced to use the totally useless (from a lighting point of view) curlie wurlie, odd shaped energy saving bulbs.

Which begs the question is it legal to sell any version of Poser in the UK, if the poser lights are not energy saving? I mean IDL increases render times, which causes your cpu to run harder longer using more energy! :laugh:

Problem is someday that might not be a joke.

Gary

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 8:31 AM

Quote - > Quote - I expect this is what we'd get from Poser Pro 2010. But since I know how to hack P7 and P8 to do GC, it's not a problem. I'll remember to do this from now on.

whait a minute. what about tone mapping? 

The response curve produced by tone mapping is different from the GC curve. They have some similar characteristics but they're not the same.

By analogy, if you were to go into Photoshop "Levels" and set the midpoint at 40% versus 30%, you get similar but different response curves.

Tone mapping does increase the luminance of dark colors. But the luminance of the darkest 20% are not increased enough by tone mapping. No exponent value you choose will ever produce the same brightening as GC does.

So we basically have the same problem as ever - we are forced to add more light to bring the apparent illumination to something closer to correct. At least, however, tone mapping doesn't blow the highlights. It can't - it can never produce a luminance of 1.0 or higher.

odf ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 8:37 AM

I just downloaded the service release and made a first test render with IDL. Very impressive!

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 8:53 AM

file_439994.jpg

I took the render Anthanasius made and applied various amounts of HSV GC.

The original is the first one.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 9:00 AM

Quote - BB do you maybe have a shader how to use images for reflection ? so that tone mapping doesnt make it brighter?

Use my EnvSphere shader. It works on a plane as well as the sphere.

Set Gamma In to 2.2 for JPEGs. Set Gamma Out to 1.4. This is a compromise that I found works pretty well with HSV ETM at 2.0.

ziggie ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 9:07 AM

Quote - Which begs the question is it legal to sell any version of Poser in the UK, if the poser lights are not energy saving? I mean IDL increases render times, which causes your cpu to run harder longer using more energy! :laugh:

Problem is someday that might not be a joke.

As they say... "Truth is often stranger than fiction."

In Uk... they are now seriously predicting that we will start having power black-outs on a regular basis due to available supplies v demand... in approx 10 years time.

I appreciate that other countries, including the US have frequent black or brown-outs for various reasons, but they are virtually unheard of in UK. They occur maybe once in 20 years if that. Other than when we have severe weather in some areas and that is becoming more frequent of late.

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 11:28 AM

I got the SR1 and sorry to say the "Texture Not Found etc etc" problem exists.

Eternal Hobbyist

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 12:16 PM

Quote -  I got the SR1 and sorry to say the "Texture Not Found etc etc" problem exists.

it does? How disappointing. I guess we need to start another set of incident reports to SM. Sigh.

I wish one of these would happen to me, because then I'd probably find the cause instantly.

aeilkema ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 1:00 PM

Quote -  I got the SR1 and sorry to say the "Texture Not Found etc etc" problem exists.

They couldn't fix in the previous 2 versions, I doubt they can now......

Food for thought.....

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 1:47 PM

One thing which might help to discover the source of this problem is to turn on logging for texture loading. You can do this by setting WRITE_FILE_SEARCH_LOG to 1 in Poser.ini .
It will write a file in (Vista) "c:usersYourNameAppdatalocaltempposer8.0.
The file is called debugFileSearch.log.

Look at the file when Poser reports the "Texture not Found" error and look at the end of the log file what actual filename it looks for. This might provide a clue what is going on.

The only problems I have had with Texture not Found is a bad reference, but this has been the case in all versions of Poser. I use the logfile often to find which file is missing.

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:33 PM

I have found the source of my troubles with P8 sr1 and I have fixed it.
I reported this back to Smith Micro tech Support as well:

*I had installed
Poser 8 into
D:Poser 8
Legacy content into
D:Poser 8 Content Legacy
Poser 8 New Content into:
D:Poser 8 Content New

I believe this type of folder setup is the cause of my trouble.  I did it without problem for Poser 7 and Poser Pro, but it does not work for Poser 8.

I have since copied New Content over Legacy, followed by Poser 8 over combined content.

Poser 8 runs without error when all default content is together inside root runtime.

I added external runtimes on my external hard drives to library.  I loaded content from the external runtimes without trouble.

*I hope this is useful for anyone like me who assumes the content need not be installed into main runtime for Poser 8. 

Eternal Hobbyist

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:50 PM

There was a bug I knew about that perhaps did not get fixed.

The problem happened when one runtime's name was a prefix of another, or the Poser main program folder name was a prefix of another. You had that.

"D:Poser 8 Content ..." is the same first 10 characters as "D:Poser 8". The bug resulted in textures not found, because it was looking in "D:Poser 8Content ...". Had you called the other folders "D:Poser8 Content" or anything else that was different, there is no problem.

You can set them up again that way - they don't have to be combined. They just have to have different letters before you get to the end of one of the runtime names.

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 24 September 2009 at 10:52 PM

I want to say, I am to blame for any reports that the issue would be fixed in SR1. I did not realize that the to be fixed in Version (8.0.1. ) was a default setting for the Bug Report System and those that were not fixed were updated once SR1 was being finalized to indicate a later version.

The Comma one was one I did say would be fixed and was not... if there were others, you can blame me.

ratscloset
aka John

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.