Sun, Oct 6, 8:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT: Mandelbulb the unravelling of the Real 3D mandelbulb

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 6:20 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 4:33 AM

I thought this might interest some, since there is some awesome rendering.

www.skytopia.com/project/fractal/mandelbulb.html

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 16 November 2009 at 10:05 PM

Gorgeous images!

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

airflamesred ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 3:24 AM

Excellent
Thanks

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 8:45 AM
Forum Moderator

I love Mandelbrot Sets!!! This is awesome!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

peedy ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 9:02 AM

WOW, fantastic!
Have to go and try some myself.
I only can get "3D" fractals is when using Apophysis 3d Hack.

CORRIE

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 9:08 AM
Forum Moderator

Something just struck me....where's the software for this?

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

peedy ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 9:23 AM

I think this can be done in any fractal program?

CORRIE

Hubert ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 12:25 PM

Really fascinating!!

Thanks for posting that link!

Hubert

"All that we see or fear, is but a Sphere inside a Sphere."     (E. A. Pryce -- Tuesday afternoon, 1845)

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 4:44 PM

Quote - Something just struck me....where's the software for this?

I read the text on that link and the guy wrote the ray tracer!!!!

He talks about how he couldnt find any off the shelf package to do what he wanted so he wrote a raytracer!!! :)

I've programmed before and I can tell you , I just cant whip up a raytracer out of a hat because I needed one. :)

There are some very talented people out there.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 5:11 PM

I read it also.  I think it uses a custom ray tracer that he wrote.  Some of the early (flat) images shown were without the shadows and shading added by the ray tracer.

The math boggles my mind.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Tue, 17 November 2009 at 8:39 PM

Quote - I read it also.  I think it uses a custom ray tracer that he wrote.  Some of the early (flat) images shown were without the shadows and shading added by the ray tracer.

The math boggles my mind.

It boggles my mind, that he needs a custom raytracer and so he writes one.

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 7:07 AM
Forum Moderator

OMG!

peedy ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 10:02 AM

Ok, I gave it a little try.
Doesn't come close to the Mandelbulb, but I think I got a 3D effect.

Have a look here:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1978710

CORRIE

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 8:53 PM

Analog-X64 I’ve been reading this thread with much interest and I find it just fascinating. Pursuing the link you provided has led me to further follow other links which the author provides (Twinbee). Although the article at its face seems devoid and sanitized of the mathematical complexities involved, and offers a synaptic overview of how it developed, it should come as no surprise that he didn’t just whip up a raytracer out of a hat. 

If you link here you’ll get a fuller appreciation for the development of the process. The link seems to be a who’s who of fractal geeks in collaboration trying to work out the intricacies of the mathematics involved in trying render their fractals in 3D.

These images are just downright awsome.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Wed, 18 November 2009 at 9:40 PM

Thank you for that link ,Quest. 
After reading about 20 pages into that forum, I began to hope they are on our side.  I mean the human race.  It is very humbling for me to see those guys (or gals) thought process.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 5:49 PM

Thanks for the link Quest, I wasnt trying to imply that they whipped up a Raytracer in an afternoon, but that they needed one so they wrote one.

If I need a raytracer I buy it.  :)  I wouldnt attempt to write one.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 19 November 2009 at 10:28 PM · edited Thu, 19 November 2009 at 10:34 PM

Yes, Analog I do understand the levity of your understatement and I agree completely.  I do know that generic renderers are available online in one form or another for public consumption but it amazes me when I read:  “…for me fractals are just fodder for my first love, rendering systems.” Lycium explaining to Twinbee how he rendered the fractal image using his renderer based on MLT algorithm.  Then I go on to learn that the MLT stands for Metropolis Light Transport method…a rendering algorithm based on the Monte Carlo simulation method both being methods of computational physics used in rendering systems. Fascinating stuff offered up in that Fractalforums link including but not limited to:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/metro/metro.pdf  ...interesting paper on MLT from Stanford University...yes, it has pictures...and plenty of formulas... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method ...explanation of Monte Carlo simulation.

http://www.cgafaq.info/wiki/Bias_in_rendering ...rendering algorithms consistent  and unbiased.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/ …probable MLT renderer ($) as per the forum.

http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/…Open source freeware renderer using GI (global illumination) method...see the FAQ.

Happy hunting!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.