Fri, Oct 4, 2:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Tone Mapping

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 12:20 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:21 PM

file_443764.jpg

Is the best way to simulate tone mapping effect with a single source image the Shadow/Highlight effect or is their an other way that would be understandable to a novice user like me? The objective is to get that strange CGI-ish look in which all parts of the scene seem equally well exposed. I used to do this in conventional photography by using a split compensating developer... let me shoot by available light and get an even illustrative look.

Here is an example from the Wikipedia entry on Tone Mapping.

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 6:24 AM

Based on what I can find on this HDR photo process this image ("Machinery") was done using  Photomatrix Pro by photographer Heiwa4126...his photostream can be viewed on Flickr…here  (this particular image can be found on page 22). Acccording to this web site the artist used three exposures:  -2EV, 0EV,+2EV. Photomatrix Pro is a stand-alone software package but it distributes a free software trial and a Photoshop plugin trial for CS2, CS3, CS4 which can be gotten at the bottom  here.

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 10:15 AM

I have done pseudo HDR with multiple exposures like that but is there anything to fake it digitally from one exposure?

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 6:31 PM

momodot,

re: pseudo-HDR

I can make a tutorial but only if I encounter enthusiasm! ;)

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 7:10 PM

file_443801.jpg

Well... I'm enthusiastic! That pair certainly shows the effect I am after. If you don't want to do a tutorial would point the way in general terms?

Above is what I got by taking the original and doing a 50% opacity overlay then a 15% unsharp mask and then Shadow/Highlights effect. Is that similar to yours?

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 7:21 PM · edited Thu, 26 November 2009 at 7:30 PM

file_443803.jpg

Here I tried the unsharp after the Shadow/Highlight. Seems like all I am really achieving is a contrast boost.

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 7:40 PM

In general terms yes but a bit more complicated. It involves using the lab color mode and the high pass filter along some tricks with the smart filter. I make a thorough tutorial in the weekend!

momodot ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2009 at 9:57 PM

Thank you... that will be appreciated.

stew451 ( ) posted Fri, 27 November 2009 at 11:27 AM

Count me in, I am interested in learning about this technique also.

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 7:44 AM

Photoshop "HDR" tutorial

A tone mapped picture may be the RESULT of HDR manipulations but is not itself HDR, that is nothing that not Photoshop can handle. If something is missing from the original raw material just put it back again.. or add something entirely new, :)

For example Pawel Wewiorski aka bolandrotor professional photographer HDR expert par excellence got second place in a HDR competition with a picture that was done from only one image.  Where after one of his fellow competitors remarked, "It's interesting how a non-HDR image places in the top 3 in an HDR challenge!"
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1005&message=32166859

Adobe Lab color space

Just as tone mapped images is made up by manipulating HDR photos we can do something similar by manipulating Lab images.  Lab color space like HDR has a much larger dynamic range than computer displays, printers or even human vision. So the first thing we do is making a copy of your original and change the color mode to Lab. Then right-click on the new layer and choose "Convert to a smart object".

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 7:47 AM

Go to Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Hightligts. Check the "Show more option" box.

Adjust controls until you are satisfied with the result. Start with Shadows-amount and Highlight amount. Then Tonal width and radius and Color corrections at last,

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 7:53 AM

create a new "curves" adjustment layer and set like this,

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 7:56 AM

Go back to your duplicated layer and choose "Filter>Other>High Pass", type in a value between 1 and 2. (You will not see the picture at this point). A new "High pass" icon is created.

vintorix ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 7:57 AM

Right click on the "High pass" icon and choose "Edit smart filter blending option".
Set Mode to Linear Light and Opacity to 60. FIN! :)

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 9:58 AM

Cool! Thank you!!

stew451 ( ) posted Sat, 28 November 2009 at 10:27 AM

Thank you, this will come in handy!

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 30 November 2009 at 10:51 PM

i'm gonna make this "sticky" for awhile so it doesn't get lost...

Thanks for the mini tut :)

scott

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.