Tue, Oct 22, 10:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:16 am)

Subject: Old Question: How do you keep morph target from exploding?

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 1:29 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:32 AM

I know it's an old question, and I've looked for the answer.

I'm trying to add some body morphs to some clothing. I used WW2 to add morphs like heavy to a shirt and the buttons warp out. They are ok, but not right. How do you keep them the same shape just moved?

I have done this before by exporting a body part not morphed then exporting the morphed part and using Carrara, copy the buttons from one and delete and replace the buttons in the other.

But now, I can't seem to find the right export setting to do this and just "as morph with no world setting" doesn't work. They explode after import back into poser.

So any suggestions?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 2:04 PM

carrara didn't useta change the vertex order, but it would triangulate the mesh if one wasn't careful.
perhaps by "explode" you mean it jumps way up in y-axis and scales 1000X.

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 2:15 PM

Did you try using the Wadrobe Wizard tool Smooth > Smooth by Material?

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 2:31 PM

file_444211.jpg

Well it could be a carrara5 problem, but I done it before and just can't seem to do it again. I thought it was in the poser export setting, but maybe luck was involved.

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 2:34 PM

Phil, they are out of shape and some are more out of shape then others. Smoothing them is not going to un-distort them.

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 3:00 PM

Unless I can figure out some export/import settings that don't cause this explosion, Ideally if WW2 had material dials that corresponded to the full body morphs, it would work better. 

So say the cloth material could be set to 1.00 "heavy" the other materials like buttons could be set at 0.00. Then you could export the whole part and just move the buttons to fit and not have to worry about this import explosion.

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 4:10 PM

When you tried it did it make any difference at all?

Alternatively try going over each button using the Poser morphing tool set to its smoothing option.

The buttons look to be small spheres. Is it less trouble to just make the ones that are there invisible and load in new ones made from the Poser ball prop?

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 4:59 PM

Quote - When you tried it did it make any difference at all?

Alternatively try going over each button using the Poser morphing tool set to its smoothing option.

The buttons look to be small spheres. Is it less trouble to just make the ones that are there invisible and load in new ones made from the Poser ball prop?

Phil, the buttons were uniform, but after applying a full body morph, they go every which way and deform non uniformly. Thus applying a universal smoothing tool to them is not going to get them back in shape. They stay consistently warped. I could label each button a separate material, but they still will warp past hope of returning their to original shape.

And yes, you could remove the buttons so WW2 works better, but adding another figure just of buttons parented to a coat that is conforming to a character, or replacing them all with props and then moving each and every one as you adjust the numerous morph dials, seems impractical.

With no offense intended, if you have already scripted a distinction between materials on a object in WW2 so they can be manipulated independently, it doesn't seem like a big jump to allow one material to morph out to a full body morph and another to stay in place. It's the same data.

I am not in anyway knowledgeable of python scripts, you are. Adding that feature would be beneficial, wouldn't harm anything, and make WW2 work better, so folk don't have to find workarounds to the problem.

However, somewhere there must be a simple export/import trick to fix it without you needing to improve an already very useful piece of software.

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 5:10 PM · edited Sat, 05 December 2009 at 5:11 PM

OK was just wondering if you had tried each my suggestions or not.

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 5:40 PM

Phil,

If I purchased your python tutorial manual would that give me the basic knowledge to first find the material code in the plug-in version of WW2 and them add another line of code similar to the "full body morph" code to add this feature to it?

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 6:21 PM

Lets see if I have understood you correctly. You want to have an option to exclude a material from the morph and automatically create a separate morph for that material that will morph it in some as yet undefined way? And this should work for all and every conceivable situation.

How were you thinking of defining the new morph?

I'm a great believer in the KISS principle. I dummied up some clothing to very closely resemble what you have and tried each of my suggestions. Of each of the results I'm guessing that if you ran over the lower two buttons using the Poser morphing tool set to smooth you would save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

I set the tools radius such that it encompassed the entire button and the magnitude very low so that it was easy to control.

I could be wrong of course.

Or we could go back to addressing why your morph exploded. Did you try it again using the "Attempt vertex correction" option?

If you are able and would like to send me the files I'll be happy to look at them here. Then I would be able to see exactly what you see rather than the (quite reasonable) approximation that I quickly put together.

lakota ( ) posted Sat, 05 December 2009 at 7:47 PM

file_444218.jpg

Phil,

I am not an expert on any of this stuff. I'm an illustrator, paper and pen.

Right now you have a material dial option in WW2. This creates many an inflate, shrink wrap, and other morphs to manipulate that material while excluding other materials in the object.
You also have an option to create full body morphs after analyzing a figure.
Once complete, you have these full body morphs and your inflate, shrink wrap, smooth etc.. for the whole figure as well as each part.
I'm looking at some full body morph of a material that excludes another material, such as a button.

I guess it would be defined as a full body material morph that moves that material to the exact location it is in the general full body morphs. This would exclude the other material and move those material up to their exact location in the full body morphs or a little more or less or not at all. You have your shift X,Y,Z morphs to move things around and if a material, say like a button is not attached to another material, you could move them any where you want without pulling out the other material.

The problem I'm having is trying to create full body morphs (plural), but not alter the dimensions of the buttons on a coat, just their location on a heavier figure, or some Amazon's coat. I don't want to morph the buttons or use poser's morph tools or any other programs morph tools to try to re-morph theses things back to a non morphed condition. I know it is possible to not alter them and just move them. As I wrote, I have done this by hand in carrara5 before, but it's not working for me now.

As to "Attempt Vertex Correction" that's not working.

Best thing right now is not using WW2 for some full body morphs and using preset magnets for heavy or pregnant, then using your tool box to load them. The buttons are bigger, but still retain their original shape. It's just that with the exclusion of the buttons, WW2s morphs are better.

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 6:29 AM · edited Sun, 06 December 2009 at 6:30 AM

I have written a script that may be suitable. If you would like to email me I can send it to you so that we can further refine it together.

Out of curiosity could you please include a screen shot showing your results when you used the Poser morph tool to smooth the bottom two buttons?

I appreciate that the Poser morph tool is something of a mystery to many folks, certainly was to me when it first came out. Took me quite a few goes to figure out how to get good results. My first attempts were not pretty :)  However once I did I found that it was an extremely useful and versatile utility just right for attending to minor imperfections in a mesh. Admittedly it is not a panacea for all ills but certainly a number of them.

The script builds a new morph to match the existing but excludes any vertices of the designated material. It then also builds  xTrans, yTrans and zTrans morphs for the designated material only so that those polygons may be manipulated separately.

lakota ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 8:05 AM

Phil,

Thank you. I would be pleased to try out your script. I am surprisingly pleased you wrote one and wrote one so quickly. As you requested, I just sent you an e-mail.

Morphing tools are useful and have their place in the tool box, but the buttons on a coat are hard static forms on the model not intended to be of various shapes depended on the size and shape of the fabric they are sewn onto to.

The buttons on a woman's coat are no different in size simply because she is pregnant. The fabric might stretch, but the buttons won't.

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 7:54 PM

cut the blue wire first...never cut the red wire!...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

lakota ( ) posted Sun, 06 December 2009 at 11:11 PM

file_444318.jpg

> Quote - Out of curiosity could you please include a screen shot showing your results when you used the Poser morph tool to smooth the bottom two buttons

Phil, I'm not comfortable using Poser as a modeler. I use Poser for Posing figures. However, if I export the part to Carrara, I can futz with each button and work towards restoring them back into shape. Since a poser figure is so tiny, I can't get them perfect unless I scale them up, import an original set of buttons for reference and work on the 193 vertices on each button. That's a lot of work for just one morph out of many full body morphs in the cr2.

But here is a screen shot of one of the lower buttons.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.