Mon, Oct 7, 2:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Help! I've lost a floating window!

ChrisV ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 4:47 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 2:42 PM

Since using P8, I've found it more convenient to have the library in a floating, non-dockable window which I can move out of the way when accessing the parameters/properties section.

Today, I moved the window too far and I can't access it or recover it to show on-screen.  I've tried doing a factory default restore but the window is still missing.  (Yes, I've ticked the libraries window to 'on' in the drop-down menu.  Unfortunately, I can't even force showing the window by using a higher resolution on my monitor as it's an LCD operating at its max resolution.)

Anybody know how to restore this window to show on screen - perhaps with a python script?

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 5:11 PM

with Poser 7 and earlier you can delete the UI prefs.xml file thats was in documents and settings/user/application data /poser 7    or in the program library folder.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 5:26 PM

Your best bet is to go to Preferences and "Launch to Factory State". Sometimes that's the only way to get them back where you can grab them ;). Of course, you'll need to set your interface up like you want it again, but...

Laurie

ChrisV ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 5:36 PM

Quote - Your best bet is to go to Preferences and "Launch to Factory State". Sometimes that's the only way to get them back where you can grab them ;). Of course, you'll need to set your interface up like you want it again, but...

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

As per my first post, tha's exactly what I DID do (and first) but I still can't access the window - it still 'appears' to be off screen.

How do I delete my preferences file to remove the errant screen location for this window?

Thanks for your help

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 5:54 PM

If you're running an OS Vista or above, go to CUsers"Your Computer Name"AppDataRoaming.
Theres a file there called "Library Prefs.xml". Delete that and restart Poser. I'm using Poser 7, and I'm just assuming Poser 8 puts them in the same place...

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 5:56 PM · edited Wed, 23 December 2009 at 5:57 PM

Quote - Hi Laurie,

As per my first post, tha's exactly what I DID do (and first) but I still can't access the window - it still 'appears' to be off screen.

Oh, I apologize for missing that. My only excuse is that I'm not feeling too well this evening ;o).

Laurie

ChrisV ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 6:22 PM

Quote - If you're running an OS Vista or above, go to CUsers"Your Computer Name"AppDataRoaming.
Theres a file there called "Library Prefs.xml". Delete that and restart Poser. I'm using Poser 7, and I'm just assuming Poser 8 puts them in the same place...

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I'm running on XP under SR2.  Checked all the .xml files in P8 and under windows; no such file exists.  Opened the poser ini file and changed the line: library pallete location - still no use!

Any other suggestions or is it best to contact Smith Micro?

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 6:27 PM

You want ui Prefs not library prefs in

c:documents and settings/owner/application data/poser 7 

instead of owner it may be your username

ChrisV ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 7:03 PM

Quote - You want ui Prefs not library prefs in

c:documents and settings/owner/application data/poser 7 

instead of owner it may be your username

Nope, no good.  Looked under Smith MicroPoser8 - nothing listed

Even tried setting the UI Previous to zero within Poser8.ini file - still no good

I guess I'll have to contact Smith Micro direct unless anyone else has any ideas.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 7:17 PM

Aw, dang. Hope someone comes along who can help ya ;o).

And yes, I gave you the wrong file...lol. Just call me the stupid blonde. Geese I'm all outta sorts tonight. I'm gonna quit while I'm not ahead...lol.

Laurie

ChrisV ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 7:22 PM

Hi Laurie

Thanks for your help anyway.  I've referred it to SM for them to sort out

Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Chris

Plutom ( ) posted Wed, 23 December 2009 at 9:21 PM

The .xml files are there, they are just hidden and I don't know where to go to unhide the files--I did in XP and win95.  Anyone know where to go to unhide those critters?  Jan

jonnybode ( ) posted Thu, 24 December 2009 at 1:04 AM

Hi!

Im on swedish XP and for me its, Vertyg / Mappalternativ / Visning / Visa dolda filer och mappar.

Guess that on an english system its: Tools / Folder options / Show / Show hidden files and folders.

Dizzi ( ) posted Thu, 24 December 2009 at 8:08 AM

Guys... just type "%appdata%Poser8.0" without quotes in the explorer Address bar... it's that simple...

The ui prefs are in the subfolder "English". And the prefs are not hidden at all.

ChrisV ( ) posted Thu, 24 December 2009 at 12:14 PM

Hi All

Problem Solved!

Although I had a reply from Smith Micro, I still had some difficulty in locating the required files

Many thanks to Dizzi for the suggestion - they showed up straight away and I deleted the neccessary files and restarted P8 successfully

Thanks to all

Apple_UK ( ) posted Thu, 24 December 2009 at 3:14 PM

window > libraries

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.