Mon, Sep 30, 11:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 3:32 am)

Subject: Importing .obj files, loss of center

Harrgunn ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 5:07 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 11:29 AM

When importing .obj files to poser, the center of the object is re-assigned .  I can change using the joint editor, but would be much easier if could load files as built.

Any help is much appreciated.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 5:10 PM

I'm pretty sure Poser just ignores any origin info that might be included in an OBJ file, I've never found any option to make it import it correctly.

My Freebies

chriscox ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 5:31 PM · edited Mon, 04 January 2010 at 5:31 PM

Attached Link: Object Files (.obj)

I'm not sure OBJ files store center point information.  It's quite likely that information is not being saved at export.   I looked at the OBJ specification and didn't see anything (of course it was a quick look and I could have missed it) .

Chris Cox

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 6:07 PM

Actually, coming from Blender, I have found that things don't rotate properly on the x-, y-, and z-axis if I don't centre my mesh to that little centre thingie prior to exporting to objects, so... but maybe it's just a Blender thing.

When I import and obj into Poser, I untick all the boxes (particularly when importing something I'm going to conform to V4) and it pretty much lands where I exported it in Blender.

Not sure if that's what's meant by Obj centre point information...

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 6:19 PM

chriscox 

Quote - I'm not sure OBJ files store center point information.  It's quite likely that information is not being saved at export.   I looked at the OBJ specification and didn't see anything (of course it was a quick look and I could have missed it).

Yeah I think you are correct, I don't see any information about "axis" or "origin" either.

RobynsVeil  > Quote - When I import and obj into Poser, I untick all the boxes (particularly when importing something I'm going to conform to V4) and it pretty much lands where I exported it in Blender.

The location of each vertex is recorded in the OBJ relative to an arbitrary zero/zero/zero location, but the object's overall center point (origin) can be tracked separately - and in Poser, it is.  Basically this determines how the object will behave when you enter rotation values for x/y/z.  If the object's origin is the center of all points that make up the object, and you rotate it, then it will seem to spin in place without moving around the scene.  If the origin is, say, 1000 feet / 1000 feet / 1000 feet, and you rotate it even a little bit, it will move a long distance.

My Freebies

Harrgunn ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 6:28 PM

I'm also a blender user.  And yes, the trouble with things not rotating properly when imported to poser is my problem also.   Thought I had been missing something, but starting to look like it's by design.

Thanks for the replies as far.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 6:44 PM

In Oject mode, select your mesh

Transform
ObjData to Center

I did this with an obj which was completely unmanageable, rotating all weird. That fixed it.

Metaphor of Chooks

Harrgunn ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 6:51 PM

In blender I've no trouble.  But lets say I was modeling a door, I need the center  point to be at the edge where the hinge would be.  I can do that in blender, and when rotating works as a door would, not spinning from center but pivot from hinge.    But when bringing this door into poser, I'm back at center of door and it spins instead of swings. 

hmm,  maybe I should only make revolving doors?

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 6:58 PM

Or just get comfortable with adjusting origin with the Joint Editor, or maybe try to find another import format that a) works and b) includes origin info (maybe .3DS).

My Freebies

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 7:07 PM

Quote - Or just get comfortable with adjusting origin with the Joint Editor, or maybe try to find another import format that a) works and b) includes origin info (maybe .3DS).

Adjust origins with the Joint Editor is really pretty straight-forward. Then, I would also rename the yrot to Door Open/Close or something like that, and set limits on how far to let it swing ( + and - )....

Metaphor of Chooks

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 7:08 PM

Sure, but if you have to do it 100 times for a complex model (like say a full house set with opening doors, cabinets, windows, and furniture etc) - well - it gets tiresome.

My Freebies

Harrgunn ( ) posted Mon, 04 January 2010 at 7:15 PM · edited Mon, 04 January 2010 at 7:21 PM

Using the joint editor is what I've been doing.  But yes as models become more complex the task gets overwhelming and just a little bit off can ruin the effects.  I've been able to cope with this, but would like to import and be done.  

I just tried exporting from poser some different formats, all with the same results. 

What I exported from blender in .obj and .3ds both work fine when import to 3ds, but same trouble when brought into poser.  Must be a poser thing, or un-thing.

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 10:10 AM

another thing; sometimes some programs will 'switch' x,y, or z values on ya...

I think the import feature allows you to overcome this, at least on P5....

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 10:10 AM

another thing; sometimes some programs will 'switch' x,y, or z values on ya...

I think the import feature allows you to overcome this, at least on P5....

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

BeyondVR ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 1:32 PM

If I import an object that is already sized correctly for Poser, then the center is always at the center of the object.  If I build it normally, where it is way too large for Poser and must be resized, then the centers are out of sight.  I have to enter numbers in the Joint Editor to bring them where they can be seen.

I then grab the crosshairs, from an ortho view,  to set it exactly.
Tip: Use Outline display mode to see what you're doing (Ctrl+2, I think).

It seems that Poser assigns the centers when imported, but can't preserve their relationship to the object if resized.  Any way around that?  I doubt it.

John

Harrgunn ( ) posted Tue, 05 January 2010 at 2:12 PM

Thanks again to all the replies.  Seems I'm still stuck with making all changes in the joint editor.  Been doing it this way,  just getting lazy I guess.  Good tip on the outline display there John.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.