Sat, Sep 21, 10:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Memory allocation error.

Madbat ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2010 at 9:03 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 8:55 PM

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm a bit puzzled at getting a memory error during rendering with c7 pro.

I had stonemasons Urban Futures and one figure (shukky's bonebot) loaded with a sunlight. 60% into the render I recieved a memory allocation error and that was that. I'm running Xp home on a dual core amd althon 6000 x64 with 4 gb memory. Granted that I'm only actually using half that should I still get a memory error on a scene I can easily render in Daz 3 advanced with ibl lighting? I've had some scenes clunk away for days (in Daz 3 adv) with no problem using atmosphere, ibl plus shader lights but why tank out with 1 figure, and one set prop, with no fog, atmosphere or anything other than a sunlight?

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2010 at 10:11 AM

Stonemasons scenes use a lot of memory for textures... maybe the problem is that: 32bit software cant alocate more them 2.5 Gb (or something like that).
Now theres a lot of people triyng the open beta for Carrara 8 that have a 64bit version, but you need to have C7 to be a beta.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Antaran ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2010 at 12:11 PM

How much Reserved Memory do you have for Texture Spooling? (Preferences --> Imaging, Scratch Disk) Since Stonemason's textures are on the heavy side, you might want to allocate more memory for texture spooling.

I have no problem rendering multiple Stonemason's sets in a single scene, along with Carrara trees and lots of high definition figures, so this should fixable.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2010 at 12:54 PM

Another thing to try would be to use the Consolidate Duplicate Shaders (Assembly Room menu, Edit -> Remove Unused Masters -> sub-menu). That won't make your textures smaller, but it will make the shader tree smaller and might free up some resources.

GKDantas ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2010 at 1:01 PM

For the Texture Spooling the rule is: how much memory you want that Carrara use until go to your hard drive??
I use about 200MB, so after that Carrara will use physical memory... If you set for a lot of RAM you will not have to mesh and other things.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

Madbat ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2010 at 1:14 PM

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, His stuff is heavy on the texture side.  I'm going to try both of those suggestions.in a re-render. funny though, C7 pro seems to use slightly less memory than DS3 to begin with, but (as I'd expect) pretty much 100% of the cpu as it  gets into a render.
I do have the c8 beta, but without a 64 bit OS i'll have the exact same issues. I'm hoping to have enough of a system upgrade soon to keep me busy for awhile.

ThetaLov ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2010 at 8:35 AM · edited Mon, 08 February 2010 at 8:42 AM

I've noticed I get a lot of those problems as well.  Then again, if you were to look at my DXDIAG you'd be scratching your head as to how I can even render to begin with.  I basically have an underpaid, scrawny workhorse doing my eeeeevil 3D bidding.

I don't know what is to blame for this, whether the software or the rig, but whenever I run C7 I very frequently get memory leaks, even when I use the classic workarounds (Remove Unused objects/shaders).  1.) Sigh.  2.) Save.  3.)  Close and reopen.

A while back I found a whole bunch of tips for memory improvements and I compiled them in this thread.  And yes, I've tried the 'pause render' since then, and it does work.

And there's a couple other things I've learned over time:

• Only use high-res textures on models that are close to your camera.  I literally just did this on my last upload, and holy freakin' moo-cow did it make a difference.  It also gives a bit of a faux-DoF effect, which I think is kind of cool ;P
  • If you have to go to the modeling room, close that window when you're done.  Sounds simple enough, but I've found many instances where I was lagging, and once I handled that point it seemed to work better.
  • Use shaders whenever possible.  If there's a texture map on one of the material domains that gives the piece a metallic appearance, I'll usually replace it with a metallic-type procedural shader.  It might seem like a small improvement, but that stuff can add up over time.

Survive Entertainment

• Exclusive Artwork!

Madbat ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2010 at 12:35 PM

Those are handy tips, thanks for the link to the other thread.
I get memory leaks with Poser, Daz (any incarnation) and Cararra, it seems to go with the territory. But at least with Cararra there are some steps you can take it seems.

ThetaLov ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2010 at 12:51 PM

I tend to get more memory loss with DAZ 3 (free version) than I did with 2.3.  No, I cannot extract any logic from it.  ;P

Survive Entertainment

• Exclusive Artwork!

Madbat ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2010 at 1:09 PM

While I like Daz (I use D3 advanced) I find it has always been atrocious for leaks, and several minute delays while it writes to disk at seemingly any opportunity...at least I have not noticed this in cararra.

Maybe it's a 'feature', you know, to give you time to pee, get coffee...etc....

ThetaLov ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2010 at 5:50 PM · edited Mon, 08 February 2010 at 5:51 PM

Well at any rate, I've pretty much graduated [almost] fully to C7.  I just use DAZ for making my base characters.  But once the character morphs and texturing are done, I do the rest in Carrara.  Only because when I view textures in the Assembly Room the memory is once again atrocious.

Survive Entertainment

• Exclusive Artwork!

Madbat ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2010 at 8:37 PM

WEll, I'm hoping C8 will be better at importing Daz scenes, I prefer that to Cararras, system so far. This might change as I get to know the program better. So far it's still a bit intimidating.

holyforest ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2010 at 4:00 AM

Procedural shaders will save a lot of memory, but will increase rendering duration.
That may help

---------------------------------------
Holyforest,
Hundreds of shaders for Carrara

Madbat ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2010 at 1:32 PM

Yes, always liked using procedural over texture maps for that reason. I'm not even going to attempt to load Andorian City with it's supplied textures, It bogs Daz down to a slideshow when I view textures in open gl. I'd suspect it'll be worse in C7
On a positive note, I rendered a test scene with thousands of trees, that's a cool feature!

Thetalov I did notice that DS 3 advanced had some improvements with memory leaks over Ds 3 basic, but I still find I have to close down ds, let windoze dump, then restart DS 3.

ThetaLov ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2010 at 4:42 PM

That is probably true of any 3D program to some extent.

The point is I don't have the scratch to get DS3A, nor do I really have a purpose for it, at least not yet.  If C8 is really supposed to be getting dynamic clothing support, then there's really no point to me getting the advanced version.

Survive Entertainment

• Exclusive Artwork!

Madbat ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2010 at 4:55 PM

Especially true if you already have C7. Really the only thing you can do in Daz is make cross application clothing and characters with the figure tools plugins. As far as Dynamic clothing, I won't touch it in Daz 3, since you cannot even make your own. I still use D3A because I soaked down cash for it, might as well get mileage from it, plus I find it easier to setup a quick scene and render. I'd really be happy if I could get C7 or C8 to successfully import a Daz or Collada file.

Reminds me, I saw somewhere that someone had already made a dynamic cloth plugin for C7. Anyone know of this?

Anyhow, I'm going to reload that scene and give it another go tonight once I get back from the doc.

ThetaLov ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2010 at 5:14 PM

There is - I had it downloaded somewhere but I've never actually given it a go.  I'll search around for the link and post it.

Survive Entertainment

• Exclusive Artwork!

Madbat ( ) posted Fri, 12 February 2010 at 11:40 PM

Awesome! Thanks!

holyforest ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2010 at 4:49 AM · edited Sat, 13 February 2010 at 4:50 AM

Quote -  Reminds me, I saw somewhere that someone had already made a dynamic cloth plugin for C7. Anyone know of this?

The cloth deformer : http://www.sparrowhawke3d.com/SimpleCloth.html

---------------------------------------
Holyforest,
Hundreds of shaders for Carrara

Madbat ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2010 at 7:24 AM

Dats der bunny! Thank yah!

ThetaLov ( ) posted Sat, 13 February 2010 at 10:06 AM

Ahh, beat me to it!  ;P

I oughta play with it some, see what it can do.

Survive Entertainment

• Exclusive Artwork!

Madbat ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2010 at 11:19 PM

Just thought I'd update this, and thank all of you who helped with suggestions. I upgraded my heap a bit to win7 x64, new g-card and 8gb's ram. That's taken care of the memory probs. I rendered a 1200x900 scene with Stonemasons Urban Futures, a character props atmosphere with fog and high quality render settings with no explosions! Next up will be to see what I can do with the Andorian City.

BTW, Holyforest, I take it you have the dynamic plugin working? I'm re-downloading it, I got some loading errors last time I tried installing it...does the whole package go into the plugins dir, or is some supposed to go elsewhere? I'm just wondering what I missed?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.