Fri, Sep 20, 1:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Poser Pro 2010 release on the horizon...

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 1:52 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:46 AM

Got an emai from Smith Micro today giving rather good upgrade prices for the month of March.

Upgrade to P8 for $99
Upgrade to Poser Pro for $199 with a free download of Poser Pro 2010 when it's released.

Got P8 already but am tempted by the Pro offer, especially considering the quoted full retail is $450.

cspear ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 1:56 PM

Could be an expensive month... DAZ may be releasing the Gen 4 Kids "soon" also!

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Silke ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 2:10 PM

That IS tempting...

Silke

Porthos ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 2:46 PM

Also if you got both Poser Pro7 and Poser 8 you can upgrade for $50! :)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 3:14 PM

Let me see if I understand this offer the ad reads:

Buy to Poser 8 for only $99.99. Upgrade today *but hurry, this Poser Pro upgrade pricing expires March 31st, 2010. Customer must contact customer service to **receive their free digital download of Poser Pro 2010 after launch.
*This is for Poser 8 (not the pro 8)

Second part of the ad:*  Poser 6/7/8 Owners:  Upgrade price to Poser Pro 2010 $199.00.

*So if I own Poser 8 and upgrade it will cost me $199.00, but if I purchase Poser 8 for $99.00 the upgrade to Poser Pro 2010 that download upgrade is free?????????????????

So it sounds like it is cheaper to purchase Poser 8 just to get the free upgrade to Poser Pro 2010 for free.....is this correct?

Sharen

stallion ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 3:44 PM

Hi Sharon
my email read like this

*NOTE: Buy Poser Pro now but hurry! The FREE Poser Pro 2010 upgrade offer expires March 31st, 2010. Customer must contact customer service to receive their free digital download of Poser Pro 2010 after launch.

You might as well PAY attention, because you can't afford FREE speech

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 3:50 PM

To view the EMail as a WebPage:

http://my.smithmicro.com/email_web/poserpro/presale_2010/?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_content=lkendallgma%40yahoo.com&utm_campaign=Poser+Owners+-+Prelaunch+100301

If I understand the upgrade policy, if one owns both Poser Pro, and Poser 8, the upgrade price is $50.00 (USD).

Unfortunately, this prelaunch anouncement is short on the details that would tell us why we should upgrade. I guess we wait for the other shoe to drop.

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 3:56 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:09 PM

This upgrade page explains the upgrade prices better than the prelaunch page:

http://poser8.smithmicro.com/sale.html

LMK

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 3:57 PM

Yes, strange enough and indeed short of detail... I own both, Poser Pro and Poser 8 (and previous versions down to Poser 5) but it looks as if buying P8 and Poser Pro now would give me a free copy of Poser Pro. But anyway: 50$ is fair enough for me

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:24 PM

I wonder if they fixed the figures...

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:26 PM

I don't think upgrading to P8 gives you the free upgrade unless it's the PP owners. Standard version  upgrades don't get it but would if they upgraded to PP now.

That's how I read it. It would help if someone from SM stopped by and explained it better.

Does not matter to me, I have both and the $50 is cheeper all around. That's a good thing. LOL.

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:36 PM

Hmmm... that's what I read - no: copy and paste - from that eMail:

Buy Poser Pro: now for only $199.99 and upgrade FREE to version 2010!
Buy Poser 8: for only $99.99. (... hury up and so on...) Customer must contact customer service to receive their free digital download of Poser Pro 2010 after launch.Digital: or Physical: Poser Pro 2010.

Poser Pro 2010 upgrade pricing available soon... (????)

• Poser Pro owners: $179.99

• Poser 6/7/8 owners: $199.99

• Own BOTH Poser Pro and Poser 8: Only $50

reads to me like:
Buy 8 and/or Pro now and get Pro 2010 for free.
Own P6/P7/P8/PPro already and pay more or less for upgrade.

And no, this does not contain any valuation, at least I was able to use PoserPro from the day when it was released and at least own P8 since several months and could have used it if it would not have collided with some tools I have to run on the computer I wanted to hold P8.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:41 PM

Okay, then it is not just me, I am reading it correctly.  Will go to the link to see if it reads better for my little brain.  Sharen

rty ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:42 PM

Count me among the confused.
I own P8, I own PPro, what options do I have if I decide to upgrade my PPro license????

I'd get it for $50, but I'd think it over twice for $180 (or even $179.99, as the newsletter suggests...).

rty ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:48 PM

Quote - • Own BOTH Poser Pro and Poser 8: Only $50

Yes, what does that mean, does it mean you invalidate both your P8 and your PPro 7 licenses to get PP2010 for $50?

That would be quite expensive, given P8 is supposed to cost $199: $199 + $50 makes the upgrade cost $249! Can't be. Or, better not be.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:48 PM

Yes, you get a good deal $50 upgrade not bad.  But I look at software like Zbrush, you buy it and all upgrades are free...............I say it again.....buy once and all upgrades free....yep that is a deal.  Sharen

rty ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:57 PM

Quote - Yes, you get a good deal $50 upgrade not bad.  But I look at software like Zbrush, you buy it and all upgrades are free...............I say it again.....buy once and all upgrades free....yep that is a deal.  Sharen

That couldn't work for software changing owner at every new version... :-D

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:04 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:08 PM

Quote - Let me see if I understand this offer the ad reads:

Buy to Poser 8 for only $99.99. Upgrade today *but hurry, this Poser Pro upgrade pricing expires March 31st, 2010. Customer must contact customer service to **receive their free digital download of Poser Pro 2010 after launch.
*This is for Poser 8 (not the pro 8)

Second part of the ad:*  Poser 6/7/8 Owners:  Upgrade price to Poser Pro 2010 $199.00.

*So if I own Poser 8 and upgrade it will cost me $199.00, but if I purchase Poser 8 for $99.00 the upgrade to Poser Pro 2010 that download upgrade is free?????????????????

So it sounds like it is cheaper to purchase Poser 8 just to get the free upgrade to Poser Pro 2010 for free.....is this correct?

Sharen

Sharon - the free upgrade is for people who purchase Poser Pro only.  Sorry for the confusion.  It appears the email has an older cached version before we caught the typo, but the click to view here link has that part removed. 

Are you a Poser fan?  Show us on Facebook!

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:06 PM

Quote - Count me among the confused.
I own P8, I own PPro, what options do I have if I decide to upgrade my PPro license????

I'd get it for $50, but I'd think it over twice for $180 (or even $179.99, as the newsletter suggests...).

If you own Pro and 8, the upgrade price until March 31st is $50.
Full details on Pro will come shortly - but we wanted to kick off the Poser family sale and wanted to pre-answer any questions about the upgrade pricing for now. 

rty ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:13 PM

Quote - If you own Pro and 8, the upgrade price until March 31st is $50.

Yes, got that, but the question is what does that mean for the P8 license used in this upgrade scheme: Can I keep using it and upgrade it to P9 afterwards?
If yes, it's a very good deal and I'm buying ASAP.
If not, it's a very bad deal (as I said above, $249 instead of $179.99).

Quote - Full details on Pro will come shortly - but we wanted to kick off the Poser family sale and wanted to pre-answer any questions about the upgrade pricing for now.

Okay, I'll wait till the dust settles and SM make up their minds.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:17 PM

I think the part referring to Poser 8 is incorrectly worded - it says "Buy to Poser 8 for only $99.99" but probably should say "Upgrade to Poser 8 for only $99.99" as the other page explains. The "buy" price is $199.99

The Poser Pro part also refers to the upgrade price which is $199.99 or $250 for the current reduced buy price.

If you only buy Poser 8 then you don't get a free upgrade to Poser Pro 2010, you still need the upgrade/sidegrade on top.

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:17 PM

efstarlet:

For Those of us with Poser Pro, and Poser 8, are pre-orders being excepted now?

LMK

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:20 PM

LMK  - No pre-orders - but sales aren't far off!!

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:20 PM

Quote - efstarlet:

For Those of us with Poser Pro, and Poser 8, are pre-orders being excepted now?

LMK

That the question I was going to ask. You beat me to it. LOL.

Are we there yet?

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:23 PM

Do we have a feature comparison against Poser 8 yet...?

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:25 PM

Quote - > Quote - If you own Pro and 8, the upgrade price until March 31st is $50.

Yes, got that, but the question is what does that mean for the P8 license used in this upgrade scheme: Can I keep using it and upgrade it to P9 afterwards?
If yes, it's a very good deal and I'm buying ASAP.
If not, it's a very bad deal (as I said above, $249 instead of $179.99).

Quote - Full details on Pro will come shortly - but we wanted to kick off the Poser family sale and wanted to pre-answer any questions about the upgrade pricing for now.

Okay, I'll wait till the dust settles and SM make up their minds.

You can upgrade and sidegrade freely with discounts between the product lines. 

Your Poser 8 will still be eligible for upgrading to Poser 9, using it to get your extra discount on Poser Pro 2010 if you own Poser Pro will not burn your serial.

In addition, if you own Poser 6, 7, or 8 and choose to purchase Poser Pro (or 2010) as a sidegrade, that leaves your Poser 8 still eligible for upgrades to Poser 9 in the future. 

My apologies for the confusion between buy and upgrade - there is a sale on both full and upgrade versions for both lines for the month of March.  Those who buy Poser Pro before the 2010 launch will get a free upgrade to 2010, since as with usual Smith Micro policy, any purchase within 30 days of a new version qualifies for the newer version free.  Poser 8 purchases do not qualify for free upgrades to Poser Pro 2010.

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:25 PM

Quote - Do we have a feature comparison against Poser 8 yet...?

It's not live yet - but there is one that will be available for you.  

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:38 PM

Thanks, look forward to it.

rty ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:42 PM

Quote - Your Poser 8 will still be eligible for upgrading to Poser 9, using it to get your extra discount on Poser Pro 2010 if you own Poser Pro will not burn your serial.

Great, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Quote - My apologies for the confusion between buy and upgrade - there is a sale on both full and upgrade versions for both lines for the month of March.

IMHO, they should make a nice little list of all the cases:

Buy P8:         $$$     (Sale! Only $$$ till end of month)
Buy PP2010: $$$     (Sale! Only $$$ till end of month)

Upgrade PP to PP2010: $$$    (Sale! Only $$$ till end of month) (Special offer for those who: $$$)
Sidegrade from P8 to PP2010: $$$     (Sale! Only $$$ till end of month)

That would probably reduce confusion and prevent the oncoming tsunami of questions... (Do you hear that distant rumbling?...)

Willber ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:43 PM

Sigh... only 64 bit rendering. My Win7 64bit OS awaits....

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:46 PM

Willber - Product details for Poser Pro 2010 have not been released, you may be reading the current Poser Pro details?

rty - it's spelled out clearer on the landing page than in the emails - http://poser8.smithmicro.com/sale.html

*Mods: just answering a question, if you need to remove the link, please do.  :) *

rty ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:59 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:00 PM

Quote - rty - it's spelled out clearer on the landing page than in the emails - http://poser8.smithmicro.com/sale.html

Except that this page doesn't mention the $50 upgrade.
It actually doesn't even mention PP2010 at all, it's about PP...

BTW, the link was already given by someone else in the previous page, you're not the first one to post it.

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:59 PM

Oh... I do hope the moderators are inclined to be generous and lenient about this thread seeing that there is not a forum at Smith Micro to use for informing the Poser Community, and answering questions publically.

These details are, for many of us, very good news.

LMK

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:00 PM

Quote -  Sigh... only 64 bit rendering. My Win7 64bit OS awaits....

And 64 bit pose room apparently...

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:30 PM

Thanks a lot efstarlet for taking care. I'll stay subscribed ti this thread to stay up to date.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:40 PM

Quote - > Quote -  Sigh... only 64 bit rendering. My Win7 64bit OS awaits....

And 64 bit pose room apparently...

WARNING: But not on Mac - PC only.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Willber ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:45 PM

ALLLLLRIIIIIGHT   "most excellent"

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 7:36 PM

I am unsure about the 64bit render engine - is a 64 bit OS required to use the 64 bit render engine or is it required to render? In other words: Does PoserPro 2010 run on XP 32 bit at all?

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 7:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  Sharen

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 8:17 PM

Quote - I am unsure about the 64bit render engine - is a 64 bit OS required to use the 64 bit render engine or is it required to render? In other words: Does PoserPro 2010 run on XP 32 bit at all?

Yes it will run on XP-32, which is what I have. Poser Pro 2010 is compiled to 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If you have only a 32-bit OS, as I do, the installer will not deploy the 64-bit version since it cannot be used. If you do have a 64-bit OS, then the installer will install both versions.

If you have a 64-bit OS, you have the option to run the 32-bit application for editing or the 64-bit application for editing. Either way, you can run the 64-bit renderer.

On Mac, the renderer is 64-bit (if your OS is 64-bit) but the 64-bit editor is not available at this time. If your Mac is strictly 32-bit, then you will have only 32-bit executables installed.

If you have only 32-bit OS now, but plan to buy a new computer/OS in the future, you can install it later when you have a suitable computer to do so. Regardless of what can run today, you will be purchasing a dual 32/64 installer.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

SaintFox ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 8:30 PM

Finefinefine!! :laugh: At the moment I am running on 32 bit as the whole thing is not done with a new OS but requires new computer parts. But of course I plan on something largerfasterbetter and it's nice to hear that 2010 works the same way as poserPro does.

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 8:32 PM

Quote - Could be an expensive month... DAZ may be releasing the Gen 4 Kids "soon" also!

In the March Madness thread at DAZ, Drew Daniels said the Kids 4 would not be coming out in March....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 5:29 AM

Will the D3D Render Firefly script will be updated to have a GC setting and a Render in Background option too??

My Store

Magic_Man ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 7:27 AM

Thanks for the explaination BB.

To be honest, for some reason, I was thinking Poser Pro (current or 2010) required a 64 bit OS because of the renderer, didn't think that it would revert to a 32 bit version if installed on a 32 bit OS.

I currently use a 32 bit Laptop with P8 and was going to just get PP and the free PP2010 upgrade and leave it until I build my next main machine and install the copy of Win7 64bit that has been sitting on the shelf since October on it...

Guess I can give PP and 2010 a spin in the meantime after all...

Couple of questions. I understand PP allows network rendering, do all the clients have to be the same, i.e. all 64 bit (is there a 32 bit network renderer?) or can they be mixed? E.g. when I have my next machine built and running, can I use the network renderer function between it (64 bit) and my current laptop build (32 bit)...? Is the network rendering limited by licence numbers? I.e. Would I require additional licences to run the network rendering function?

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 7:41 AM

I thought "Fine, I've got P8 so I'll get the hybrid CD PoserPro etc"
But when I tried to order the website wanted a PoserPro number; I haven't got PoserPro; whatever you try ordering they want a PPro number.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 8:14 AM

Does this mean that Pro2010 64bit will be fully 64bit unlike the previous version, and will i be able to access all 8 threads in rendering unlike the last version?
the reason i ask this is that i have upgraded to an I7 computer with 8gb's of ram, and i noticed that P8 renders so much faster and handles better than PoserPro7... i dont wont to buy it if its not going to run better than P8 on my system.... oh and has it got rid of that new shite library from P8? lets hope so....

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Believable3D ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 8:42 AM

Your question was already answered by Bagginsbill a few posts above. The renderer and the application are both 64 bit on Windows.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

carodan ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 8:53 AM

Quote - .... oh and has it got rid of that new shite library from P8? lets hope so....

Got to pick you up on this comment. Apart from being your own personal opinion (one that's worded in a way that's downright rude to the individual who we all know to have written the new system - bb if you didn't), there are (believe it or not) many people for whom the P8 library has never been a problem and has in fact been a huge improvement over the old one.

I for one am glad it does have the new improved library system.

PoserPro2014(Sr4), Win7 x64, display units set to inches.

www.danielroseartnew.weebly.com

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 9:09 AM

I am not a fan of the library, it requires a lot more clicks (From four clicks to 18 if I remember my test from the other week). Fortunately I don't seem to be having the same issues as a lot of other people did, but the library is one reason I am wondering if I should buy Poser Pro and just stick with that rather than upgrade to Poser Pro 2010. It really just totally ruins the speed and flow that I had before.

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 9:22 AM

There are some alternatives to the P8 library sytem... ;)

Though i like it and never experienced any problems with it :)

My Store

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 10:49 AM

Most of the alternatives, that I have seen, seem to do the same thing that I don't like in the P8 system or more like DAZ Studio, which I also don't like the library.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.