Fri, Sep 20, 9:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: What can Poser Pro do that Poser 8 Can't?

onimusha ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 3:58 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:32 AM

They're offering a new upgrade.  Not even sure if it's cheaper than what the upgrade would normally cost.  Wondering if I should do it as I really like Poser 8.

What are the biggest differences between the two?

Thanks...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:08 PM

Are we talking about Poser Pro 2010 or the older Poser Pro?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

onimusha ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:09 PM

Poser Pro 2010, the one they're offering.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:11 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:14 PM

Is it cheeper to buy now and get Poser Pro 2010 free ? That would be the only reason to get Poser Pro now.

PP has background rendering and 64bit renderer and extra export options to higher end apps.

As I stated, the best part of that upgrade is the free 2010 upgrade. Maybe wait till almost the deadline so you have the 30 day money back. Then you could compare the difference in 2010 upgrade price from P8 and still have time to do something about it.

Never mind. I thought you were asking about the PP upgrade.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:27 PM

Quote - PP has background rendering and 64bit renderer and extra export options to higher end apps.

... and built-in gamma correction.

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:31 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:34 PM

file_448803.png

This is not a complete list - just some key things off the top of my head.

Built-in GC. (as others mentioned - a very big deal to me)

Improved library - multiple new display modes, many new options, faster, includes CP search, can float in its own window, can stay in front of all windows or go behind Poser and other apps, or minimize - maximize to a second screen - whatever you want. (See screen shot - showing only one of dozens of configurations possible.)

Background/queued rendering. (Queue up a bunch of images)

Network rendering (Use multiple computers to increase rendering speed)

64-bit rendering (Use more RAM - handle much more scene content during render.)

Render to photoshop document with layers (in one pass, render diffuse, specular, reflection, shadows, depth, normals, position, toon id, and anything you can dream up with nodes as separate layers)

IDL improvements (speed and quality)

Import/export with Collada - easier sharing with other apps

For PC, 64-bit pose room (Use more RAM - handle much more scene content during posing)

Multi-threaded bending. (I think this means that posing uses multiple cores to work out the new geometry as you bend a figure.)

This one I'm not completely certain about. Multi-threaded cloth simulation. I have 2 cores and cloth sim now uses more than 50% indicating it is using more than just 1 core, which it did not do in the past.

There's more stuff, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

[EDIT] - Oh this is a good one - can't believe I forgot. You can drag content from outside Poser, such as from your file explorer directly into Poser - i.e. true native OS drag and drop. You do not have to start from the Poser library window. Also, when you drag a conforming item over an existing figure, it will auto-conform.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Vestmann ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:45 PM

Wow those library enhancements are truly astounding.  Much more then I had hoped for.   I´m looking forward to the 64bit background rendering and 64bit pose room.  It'll make the workflow much more efficient.

Vestmann's Gallery

LukeA ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 4:53 PM

Did they ever get the "Make it look good" button in?? That would save me hours of work.

LukeA

My latest novel

onimusha ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:02 PM

I'm sold Baggins... thanks for the extensive post...

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:14 PM

Quote - Is it cheeper to buy now and get Poser Pro 2010 free ? That would be the only reason to get Poser Pro now.

PP has background rendering and 64bit renderer and extra export options to higher end apps.

As I stated, the best part of that upgrade is the free 2010 upgrade. Maybe wait till almost the deadline so you have the 30 day money back. Then you could compare the difference in 2010 upgrade price from P8 and still have time to do something about it.

Never mind. I thought you were asking about the PP upgrade.

If you buy Poser Pro now, it will be the same price as buying Pro 2010 when it is launched (upgrades & full versions) however, you will actually have an additional license, since you will not need to burn your Poser Pro serial to get your free upgrade.  ;-)    The free upgrade is a digital download version only however, so that may be a limit for some people who really must have a boxed version - they are better waiting until the full launch to order the hard goods.

Normally, anyone who purchases software within 30 days of the launch of a new version from Smith Micro qualifies for a free upgrade, we're just pre-announcing that for anyone who may purchase Poser Pro between now and launch!

Are you a Poser fan?  Show us on Facebook!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:28 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:29 PM

file_448805.jpg

Check out this display mode showing a CP search for "dress". (Click for full size)

It can show your library content this way, too. I just don't have any folder with that much stuff in it to demo how many you can see at once, so I used a CP search so I'd have tons to show in the list.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:29 PM

So, I have Poser 8, I can buy the sidegrade to Poser Pro (previous version) within the next 30 days for $199. I will get Poser Pro licence and then, when Poser Pro 2010 is released, a free full download and licence for that?

I.e.
I have one Poser 8 licence now.
If I get Poser Pro (using the P8 licence to sidegrade) I will have a Poser Pro licence - do I still have a valid Poser 8 licence?
When I get the free download of Poser Pro 2010 will I get a third licence? If so, are the other two still valid licences in their own right?

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:32 PM

Quote - So, I have Poser 8, I can buy the sidegrade to Poser Pro (previous version) within the next 30 days for $199. I will get Poser Pro licence and then, when Poser Pro 2010 is released, a free full download and licence for that?

I.e.
I have one Poser 8 licence now.
If I get Poser Pro (using the P8 licence to sidegrade) I will have a Poser Pro licence - do I still have a valid Poser 8 licence?
When I get the free download of Poser Pro 2010 will I get a third licence? If so, are the other two still valid licences in their own right?

Yes. 
Use your Poser 8 serial number to sidegrade to Pro NOW and get a free download of 2010 when it's launched.  You will then have a Poser 8, Poser Pro and a Poser Pro 2010 license - all eligible for future upgrade pricing, all considered full versions with full eligibility for discounts that apply to owners.

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:35 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:37 PM

Thanks for that - just seen you posted basically the same thing in the other thread, sorry - busy times... ;)

...edit: Any chance of further discounts for me and onimusha for drumming up interest with these threads... :-)

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:41 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:42 PM

** Buy Poser 8:**
Buy to Poser 8 for only $99.99. Upgrade today but hurry, this Poser Pro upgrade pricing expires March 31st, 2010. Customer must contact customer service to receive their free digital download of Poser Pro 2010 after launch.

OK, I have Poser 7 now.  What are my options???

If I pay the $99, will I upgrade to Poser 8 or Poser 8 Pro?  Or do I need to buy Poser 8 Pro for $199 and then end up with two Poser licences?

Where can I find more details about what Poser Pro 2010 will have?  I am finally moving to 64 bits, so going with Pro is more attractive now.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:49 PM

Peggy -

Poser Pro 2010 details are pending, they have not been announced.

You can upgrade your Poser 7 to Poser 8 for $99 or sidegrade to Poser Pro for $199.99.  If you sidegrade to Poser Pro before the launch, you will get a free upgrade to 2010 when it is released.  (Yes, you end up with an extra upgradeable Pro application serial here.)

If you wait until Pro 2010 is launched, you can still upgrade to Poser 8 for $99 before March 31st, or get Pro 2010 for $199 until March 31st.  

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:51 PM

Quote - Thanks for that - just seen you posted basically the same thing in the other thread, sorry - busy times... ;)

...edit: Any chance of further discounts for me and onimusha for drumming up interest with these threads... :-)

I wish I could give you all tons of discounts!!

If you enter the Poser video contest - there is a chance you could win a copy for free!  Only 2 entries so far - and we're awarding up to 25 copies of Poser Pro 2010!  All you have to do is record yourself saying "I'm a Poser" and submit it to us!

Magic_Man ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:57 PM

Quote - All you have to do is record yourself saying "I'm a Poser" and submit it to us!

Ummm, I'm afraid that wouldn't be pretty... ;)

noxiart ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 5:59 PM

And will this new library be eventually available for Poser 8, too ?

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:16 PM

Will there be a regular 2010 version and Pro 2010?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:24 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:35 PM

(efstarlet)> Quote - If you sidegrade to Poser Pro before the launch, you will get a free upgrade to 2010 when it is released.  (Yes, you end up with an extra upgradeable Pro application serial here.)

(Peggy Walters)*> Quote - I am finally moving to 64 bits, so going with Pro is more attractive now.

*Peggy, if you have 64bit, go with *efstarlet's * advice.   Both the setup workspace and rendering are 64bit in PP2010, to make use of all the available memory.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:26 PM

There will be no regular 2010 version!  The correct product names will be Poser 8 and PoserPro 2010.  Don't confuse the issue by interjecting 8 with PoserPro 2010.  There has been enough confusion with Poser 7 and PoserPro.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:31 PM

Quote - And will this new library be eventually available for Poser 8, too ?

I'm not sure. If I were to guess, I'd guess yes. But let's be clear - I'm guessing.

If you're on the fence, let me just say that if you're interested in realistic rendering, PPro 2010 will be easily superior to P8. The only easy way to use GC and IDL in one pass with no external tools or wacky complicated shader GC is with PPro 2010.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:34 PM · edited Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:37 PM

Quote - (efstarlet)> Quote - If you sidegrade to Poser Pro before the launch, you will get a free upgrade to 2010 when it is released.  (Yes, you end up with an extra upgradeable Pro application serial here.)

(Peggy Walters)*> Quote - I am finally moving to 64 bits, so going with Pro is more attractive now.

*Peggy, if you have 64bit, go with *efstarlet's * advice.   Both the setup workspace and rendering are 64bit in PP2010, to make use of all the available memory.

P8 is the base version of Poser Pro 2010.  P8 is version 8.0.2.xxxxx, and Poser Pro 2010 will be 8.0.3.xxxxx.

Please don't say this - I have Poser 8 with 8.0.3.xxxx as well.  If/when Poser 8 SR3 is published for general consumption, it will be 8.0.3.xxxx.

The version number of the evolving code base is reflected in the 8.0.x.y and is decidedly not the version of the packaged product. The products built on that code base  are Poser 8  and Poser Pro 2010 and they have the same numbers. If you want to really get confused, the internal version number of Poser Pro 2010 (the product) is 2.0, since it is the second iteration of Poser Pro. Keep in mind that the product is more than the software. It also is the content and the plugins, etc.

[Edit] Confusing fact - Poser Pro 2010 stores its preferences in Application Data/Poser Pro/2.0

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:40 PM

Quote - Will there be a regular 2010 version and Pro 2010?

There will be Poser 8 and Poser Pro 2010.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 6:57 PM

Thanks for the info then.  Looks like it is a good time to go to Pro. I spent a bunch on the new computer  - having 64 bit software to run on it will be cool.

Vestmann ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 7:06 PM

Before I blow from anticipation, are we talking about the Pro 2010 version release within the next 30 days? 

Vestmann's Gallery

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 7:27 PM

Quote - Before I blow from anticipation, are we talking about the Pro 2010 version release within the next 30 days? 

Yup!

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 8:32 PM

Is the auto expand triangle for the library working better than it did in Poser 8?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 8:58 PM

Quote - Is the auto expand triangle for the library working better than it did in Poser 8?

Sorry, I don't know the problem you're referring to.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 9:42 PM

file_448815.jpg

Andy thinks that IDL with render GC in Poser Pro 2010 looks soooo good.

Anniebel ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 10:32 PM

I have hesitated to upgrade to P8 because of all the reported stability problems & it took me long enough to get P7 stable. Is Poser Pro (old) more stable than P8, would it be worth just skipping P8 altogether?

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

MyCat ( ) posted Mon, 01 March 2010 at 10:46 PM

Quote - Oh this is a good one - can't believe I forgot. You can drag content from outside Poser, such as from your file explorer directly into Poser - i.e. true native OS drag and drop. You do not have to start from the Poser library window. Also, when you drag a conforming item over an existing figure, it will auto-conform.
[/quote
Since I have so many problems with the Poser 8/Pro 2010 libraries this sounds wonderful.

(I'm one of a group of Poser 8/Pro 2010 Beta users that have the problem that the Poser 8 or Pro 2010 Beta library shows up about once every three time I start the program. I have a large runtime, I'm guessing some impatient person set a timeout too short.)

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 2:57 AM

My runtime is only 56GB and P8/PP 2010 beta libraries work fine for me.

Mariny ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 5:03 AM

Hi...
I have Poser 8 and the old Poser Pro..
Where do i go to buy that poser pro 2010??
I just see upgrade links??

(Maybe i'm blind,hihi)

Mariny 

dphoadley ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 5:25 AM

*"What can Poser Pro do that Poser 8 Can't?"

Whistle Dixie?!
dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

lkiilerich ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 5:29 AM

Hi:-)
I am on a PC now but my next computer will be an iMax. If I buy the windows download version now, can I later then download the Mac version for free or shall I pay for it? Someone who knows?

HUGS
Lene

onimusha ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 5:38 AM

I'm not sure what stability issues people have had with Poser 8.  Poser 8 has been by far the absolute most stable version of Poser I have ever worked with.

As a matter of fact, the only thing I've never liked about Poser 8 is its incompatibility with fire walls.  Drives me crazy that my firewalls can mess with a program that doesn't even need the internet to function.  It's also been very, very difficult to make firewalls accept it for some reason and has been a source of great frustration.

Other than that though Poser 8 is probably the first version of Poser where they actually tried to pull the program out of the dark ages and they did it quite successfully.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 5:45 AM

the reason might be the content tab.Poser needs an internet connection for it.So your firewall will be alarmed. -My guess.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 7:36 AM

Quote - > Quote - Is the auto expand triangle for the library working better than it did in Poser 8?

Sorry, I don't know the problem you're referring to.

The one where things overlap each other making them not really usable. I have included the pic below.

Thanks

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 11:31 AM

Quote - > Quote - Thanks for that - just seen you posted basically the same thing in the other thread, sorry - busy times... ;)

I wish I could give you all tons of discounts!!

If you enter the Poser video contest - there is a chance you could win a copy for free!  Only 2 entries so far - and we're awarding up to 25 copies of Poser Pro 2010!  All you have to do is record yourself saying "I'm a Poser" and submit it to us!

UGH!!!! From me, that will break the judges' monitor...  :lol: Anyway, I just sidegraded (is that a word) to poser pro. Been meaning to get it for a while so now I am really ahead of the curve. Had brought Poser 7 last year... Didn't want to upgrade to 8 when I heard about all the problems. So now I guess I'll just be a Poser pro... :lol:

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 2:03 PM

Quote - Hi...
I have Poser 8 and the old Poser Pro..
Where do i go to buy that poser pro 2010??
I just see upgrade links??

(Maybe i'm blind,hihi)

Mariny 

AFAIK they have not got it set up yet for us.

Silke ( ) posted Tue, 02 March 2010 at 3:15 PM

Hmmm
You know, that video contest... sounds interesting, but I just bought the upgrade.
So... if I enter... and win a copy... (not gonna happen, don't panic!) can I get a refund on the one I bought? LOL

Silke

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 8:41 AM

do you think they'll lower the price of the P7pro after the 2010 comes out?

baby steps. :)

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

DarrenUK ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 8:58 AM

bagginsbill, I think that you stated somewhere on the forum that in Poser 8 there are problems using IDL for animations as it used random samples and that two renders even of the same frame do not use exactly the samples (I think it could cause some flickering when played back).
Has this problem been adressed in Poser Pro 2010? eg the option to use the same samples for multiple frames.

ps. From the picture you posted above IDL + Gamma Correction looks great. I may have to upgrade to pro! :)

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 9:24 AM

***Quote - do you think they'll lower the price of the P7pro after the 2010 comes out?

baby steps. :)

pppssst before anyone snaps at you... there is no P7pro. there is P7 and there is Poserpro - the development has forked and they are now counted as seperate products.. (no matter what some say....)

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 9:39 AM

Thank you, Kaibach.  You saved another soul from being raked through the mud.

leather-guy ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 10:40 AM

I was wondering, is there any information yet about what Content will be available with Pro2010?  I've been reading info as it's released, but I don't recall seeing anything about that.
Will it be same as P8, a subset of P8's content, a superset of P8 content, mostly different, or ???

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 12:06 PM

Quote - bagginsbill, I think that you stated somewhere on the forum that in Poser 8 there are problems using IDL for animations as it used random samples and that two renders even of the same frame do not use exactly the samples (I think it could cause some flickering when played back).
Has this problem been adressed in Poser Pro 2010? eg the option to use the same samples for multiple frames.

ps. From the picture you posted above IDL + Gamma Correction looks great. I may have to upgrade to pro! :)

I was discussing this with SM a few weeks ago. Larry W. suggested that rendering with a single thread might be a way to reproduce samples exactly. I can't remember if he also said it would need to be in the same process or in a separate process or he didn't say that at all. I never tried it.

If you try it, let us know.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 12:08 PM

Quote - I was wondering, is there any information yet about what Content will be available with Pro2010?  I've been reading info as it's released, but I don't recall seeing anything about that.
Will it be same as P8, a subset of P8's content, a superset of P8 content, mostly different, or ???

I have no patience to download the beta content (4 GB) so I'm not at all aware of what is included from experience. Even if I did, they may add more before release. I can't imagine there is anything less than what P8 came with, though. Which means all the P8 stuff plus the Legacy Content package.

leather-guy ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2010 at 12:22 PM

Quote - I have no patience to download the beta content (4 GB) so I'm not at all aware of what is included from experience. Even if I did, they may add more before release. I can't imagine there is anything less than what P8 came with, though. Which means all the P8 stuff plus the Legacy Content package.

Thank you for the response!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.