Tue, Oct 22, 7:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 7:36 am)

Subject: PoserPro2010 Assessment and glitch?

JAG ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 7:16 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 7:43 AM

Okay, I must say I thoroughly despised Poser 8 and was one of the big complainers about it.  But Poser Pro 2010 has corrected a lot of the things I hated about P8.  Things that are now awesome:

1. Full Body Morphs.  Still a bit of beeyoch to use Zbrush the way  I want to...but by george, it works now and that's the greatest improvement.
  2. Also I can straight to zBrush export now and reimport back.  Fantastic.
  3. Also the Firefly speed is seemingly  a bit faster. 
  4. The ability to float my panels is much better too...it makes using the workspace a lot easier.
  5. They've also given us the ability to change the runtime/content selection area and float it and the thumbnails are back!  YAY!

All in all, I am saying this one is worth the upgrade.  I am officially eating my crow from my rant on P8.  SM apparently got their act together this time and listened to those of us who complained and for that I'm grateful and excited.

The only problem I've run across is a strange, and for no reason, CRASH that keeps occurring.  Sometimes it's when loading a file...sometimes while it's just sitting idle.  But for some reason the booger just randomly crashes.

Smith has no updaters yet and I'm wondering if they're aware of the issue yet.  Anybody else having similar issue?

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 8:07 PM

It probably won't be perfect until at least SR2 LOL

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2010 at 10:27 PM

I have not had any crashing issues at all.  Er, one time, but I did something incredibly stupid.

Greebo ( ) posted Sat, 27 March 2010 at 9:21 AM

I haven't had a poser release this stable straight from release since P6. I lurves my PP2010.

Qualien ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2010 at 12:58 PM

I sidegraded from P7 to Pro10, and I also have random crashes, LOTS of them. Both in 64 bit and X86.

Before I uninstall it, go back to P7, and wait for SR1, I was just wondering if there is something I might have done wrong in the installation or something. Because the program as it is working on my PC 
-Microsoft Windows Vista - Home Premium Edition (x64)
-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
-4 gigs RAM
would not be usable to anyone. 

Any answers?

JAG ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2010 at 6:46 PM

No clue man...my crashes seem to be just random and not really bad, so I'm not sure.  I was hunting solutions myself...so I'm of no real use helping you out I'm afraid.  Maybe somebody else will update us on it.  If you find anything, please post it back to this thread so we can all read about it.  Good luck...

DustRider ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2010 at 7:45 PM

Qualien - hate to say it, because it's used so much, but it could be a video card problem. I have some issues with PP2010 and Carrara 8 beta crashing, but don't have problems with other software (Carrara 7, Poser 7, DS3A). I know it's a video card problem because sometimes Vista actually catches/identifies it and tells me. Unfortunately it's on a laptop that I can't upgrade drivers on - so I just save my work early and often!

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

Qualien ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2010 at 8:20 PM

DustRider,
Thanks for the idea, I'll try downloading any recent drivers for my video card if there are any. The card is pretty new though, and it has been working with all the graphics software I have. Hope it works, because the crashes are too frequent for the program to be useful, even if I do get in the habit of saving my work every 5 minutes. Wish me luck!

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 02 April 2010 at 11:33 PM

Just because a peripheral is newly installed, it doesn't mean that it contains the latest drivers.  Best recommendation would be to immediately check for any available updates soon after hardware installs.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2010 at 11:57 AM

I am very pleased with PPro2010!!

I went from Poser 6 (Mac) to PoserPro (Mac)- and had just started using it when PP2010 came out.
Most of my PoseMania was in the Poser 4 era- and some in P6. Then I took a vacation- frustrated with P6.

I have been using 2010 for hours per day- NO CRASHES!!! I have found a shadow glitch when using shadow maps, IBL and IDL., and Poser "SSS". Switching my lights BACK to Ray traced shadows eliminates the problem. So yes- very happy!

gishzida ( ) posted Sat, 03 April 2010 at 5:23 PM

Quote - Okay, I must say I thoroughly despised Poser 8 and was one of the big complainers about it.  But Poser Pro 2010 has corrected a lot of the things I hated about P8.  Things that are now awesome:

1. Full Body Morphs.  Still a bit of beeyoch to use Zbrush the way  I want to...but by george, it works now and that's the greatest improvement.
  2. Also I can straight to zBrush export now and reimport back.  Fantastic.
  3. Also the Firefly speed is seemingly  a bit faster. 
  4. The ability to float my panels is much better too...it makes using the workspace a lot easier.
  5. They've also given us the ability to change the runtime/content selection area and float it and the thumbnails are back!  YAY!

All in all, I am saying this one is worth the upgrade.  I am officially eating my crow from my rant on P8.  SM apparently got their act together this time and listened to those of us who complained and for that I'm grateful and excited.

The only problem I've run across is a strange, and for no reason, CRASH that keeps occurring.  Sometimes it's when loading a file...sometimes while it's just sitting idle.  But for some reason the booger just randomly crashes.

Smith has no updaters yet and I'm wondering if they're aware of the issue yet.  Anybody else having similar issue?

I've spent a bit of time this week with PoserPro 2010 (I'm on vacation, next week it's back to herding servers) ... and so far the only thing I can seem to link with crashes is when I saved a file to the "external binary" format. I changed the setting not to use the binary format and so far have not had any crashes.

It seems that when I do save files in the binary format  that after several saves I have crashes occur after:

1. Attempting to go into the material room... Rather than get the usual picture frame of the scene I get a "Morph Tool" Panel in it's place... then the program dies in 3 seconds.

2. Shortly after closing a file and opening "New" the App goes gray and then crashes...

Weird thing is I can open the file in Poser Pro 2008 and go into the material room or open a new file and the same crash events do not occur... so I'd say it is probably something to do with the way the new version is handling the file or its contents.

The drawback of non-binary saves in that the file sames take 3 to 4 times longer.

gishzida ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 11:30 AM

I do want to confirm that the crashes I've been having are in someway related to pz3 files that have been saved with "external binaries" (pmd) files. When I resave the files without the PMD files I do not experience Material room or other "random" crashes.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with a quadcore and 8 GB of RAM

Otherwise PP2010 has been better / easier to use than PP2008 or Poser 8.

Firefly x64will actually use as much RAM as you give it... So the :bucket size" setting becomes important. Look in my gallery for a few example renders.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 12:24 PM

BTW, don't confuse the terminology of both versions of PoserPro.  Officially, there is PoserPro and PoserPro 2010.  No such a beast PoserPro 2008.  It will only serve to confuse individuals just getting into the hobby.

Qualien ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 12:25 PM

Quote - Qualien - hate to say it, because it's used so much, but it could be a video card problem. I have some issues with PP2010 and Carrara 8 beta crashing, but don't have problems with other software (Carrara 7, Poser 7, DS3A). I know it's a video card problem because sometimes Vista actually catches/identifies it and tells me. Unfortunately it's on a laptop that I can't upgrade drivers on - so I just save my work early and often!

Installing latest video card driver seems to have worked! Haven't been reading the Poser forum much for a few years, or else I guess I would have seen this. I'll have to come here more often. Thanks for the help!

gishzida ( ) posted Tue, 06 April 2010 at 10:17 PM

Quote - BTW, don't confuse the terminology of both versions of PoserPro.  Officially, there is PoserPro and PoserPro 2010.  No such a beast PoserPro 2008.  It will only serve to confuse individuals just getting into the hobby.

You are absolutely correct!

OTOH... I don't see that it matters now since they no longer sell the version that I bought in 2008 and was calling Poser Pro 2008...

it's not any more confusing than the use of "PP" for either ProPak or Poser Pro... especially when there is sooooo much content out there with Mat pose or materials identified with PP...

The crash issues I've been seeing do not appear to be video related... they are PoserPro.exe crashes (unlike the crashes in Vista where the Nvidia.dll would come up as the culprit)...

I'll grab a screen shot of the typical crash next time it happens... it is usually a Dual crash I get two separate crash notices when it happens.

Benboom ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 6:38 AM

I am experiencing crashes upon closing a file. It doesn't seem to do it with any old file, but the current one I'm working with is pretty big and every single time I close this one Poser 2010 crashes. Since it doesn't do it with every file I suspect there is either something odd about this file itself (some object within it perhaps?) or maybe it is the fact that it's just a larger than usual file.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 like gishzida and I wonder if the "external binaries" thing he mentioned applies; is this the option found in General Preferences/Misc ("Use external binary morph targets")? Right now mine is checked ON.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 7:09 AM

Yes, that is the location.  Do uncheck the option.  There have been numerous reports about that feature being faulty.  In reality, external binary morph targets is totally useless unless you plan to create content for DAZStudio.

Benboom ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 8:20 AM

Got it. Many thanks! 

Benboom ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 8:23 AM

Yikes! The file size went from 15 megs to 193 megs! 

Benboom ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 8:56 AM

And...alas, it still crashed when I closed it. 

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 10:21 AM · edited Wed, 07 April 2010 at 10:24 AM

I don't know how texture intensive your scene is or what type of render settings you are using (even though it may not have any bearing), but I would closely inspect how each model is set up in the material room.  Is there an over use of displacement maps in areas where it isn't necessary (i.e., distance objects or props)?  Are there too many lights in your scene?  If you can keep it simple, do so.  And as you mentioned, it could be 1 object or a combination of objects causing the problem and that it is not happening with all files.

And yes, your pz3 file will get substantially larger when you shut off External binary.

Edit:  This is just an after thought, is PP 2010 installed within the Programs File in W7 or outside?  And, if so, do you have proper authorization?

Benboom ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 10:30 AM

It's installed in my Programs directory on the home disk. "Proper authorization" in Windows 7 is a nightmare, an absolute nightmare. I am not very knowledgeable about W7 as I am really a Mac guy and this is my first Windows machine. As for your first questions, I guess the answer can only be "I don't know", as I don't have displacement turned on, I have five lights in the scene, and I wouldn't know if any of the other settings are incorrect.

One thing I do know is that I simply can't have files that big filling up my drives. Since it crashes either way on this file I've turned the option on again. I've finished rendering the scene for the last time and I'm hoping not to have to load it again now.

raven ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 10:44 AM

You can have external binary morph targets off but enable file compression, that should reduce the size of the saved files.

Benboom ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 10:55 AM

Yes, you're right; I tried that and the file size was about 45 megs. But it still crashed on exit so I went back to how I had it originally. 

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

gishzida ( ) posted Wed, 07 April 2010 at 11:42 PM

Quote - You can have external binary morph targets off but enable file compression, that should reduce the size of the saved files.

I don't use either file compression or the binary morphs... makes for big files and slow loads.. but I can open close, re-open, create new for many hours without crashes... only when I work with either compressed or binary morphs do I get crashes on opening a new file or going into the material room.

If I want to work on a file previously saved with the binary morphs I save it as a new name (so the fill is guaranteed to be written again to disk). I will then close and reopen Poser and continue... Why the close and reopen? I too have had crashes after opening an previously saved "binary format" file... My guess is that when the file loads into memory it is over writing something it shouldn't be (bad pointer reference?)... so when I open the material room or close the file and open a new one or a different one Poser melts.

Instead of a crash every 30 minutes or so, now I am getting one crash in a 3 - 4 hour session.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.