Tue, Oct 22, 5:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Grass...Please Help

beos53 ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:28 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:25 AM

Attached Link: http://renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2799669

[

http://renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2799669](http://renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2799669)

Does any know how cspear did the grass on this what obj did he use
 I tried asking in that tread, but I guess no one is watching that one

what I am talking about is in the thread I have listed

Thanks Steve

PoserPro 2014, Windows 7, AMD FX-6300 6 core, 8 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:37 PM · edited Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:38 PM

file_451582.jpg

I have no idea what object he used but it really doesn't matter what object you use. Use the ground plane or anything you want to use! It's the shader displacement settings that he posted that make the grass. I used the ground plane with his grass shader for this image.

beos53 ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:40 PM

thanks I'll give the ground plane a try

PoserPro 2014, Windows 7, AMD FX-6300 6 core, 8 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:43 PM

you can also use the hair room to create grass.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 6:48 PM

use the 2 together. the displacement to give the body and the hair room for tufts and the like...

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 7:01 PM

Yeah what KyHighlander and Kaibach said! Be creative....

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 7:30 PM · edited Mon, 19 April 2010 at 7:31 PM

Yep, haven't tried it myself yet, but I've heard the hair room works great for grass and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't ;o).

I've always used the ground plane with displacement myself.

Laurie

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:24 PM

I always use displacement with noise, works nicely.  Blend with a clouds or
spots node for varying height.

Wonder if anyone has tried using the new Normal maps in P8?  Seems like you
could get some true 3D effects with the blades bending different ways.
Maybe even a waving field of tall grass by animating the colors.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:41 PM

I've done it a couple of times with hair room, you can get various heights, wind direction and just a good randomness that grass gives. I used it for tall grass like African plains with the DAZ lion. Makes great tall grass.

beos53 ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:49 PM · edited Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:51 PM

file_451587.jpg

I have used the hair room before to make grass for this

www.youtube.com/watch        which I was proud of back then

but I thought doing it with nodes might render faster
but this is what I keep getting

the top one is a cloth plane and the bottom is the ground, they keep staying flat

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:53 PM

have you turned 'use displacement maps' on in your render settings?

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:56 PM · edited Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:57 PM

Also, you have to take what your Poser measurements are into account. Are you using inches, feet, PNU's? Let's say for instance you are using centimeters. That settings is gonna be barely noticeable ;).

Laurie

beos53 ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 8:58 PM

Kaibach thank you
that was the problem. I forgot about doing that

beos53 ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 9:01 PM

LaurieA
I set up my setting just like cspear had his I use feet, but change it to meters to match his

but at least it works now

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 19 April 2010 at 10:55 PM

You can make an easier grass simply by adding a 'Noise' shader to bump and displacement slot of the ground plane in the MAT room.
dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

cspear ( ) posted Tue, 20 April 2010 at 8:13 AM

I think all the OP's questions have been dealt with already, but it's probably worth pointing out that this is not 'my' shader, it's based on something BB posted a long time ago. If the search function here produced meaningful results I'd post the link to that.

Also note that displacement value = height of grass in whatever units you're working in. I always work in metres. The value in my post in the original thread translates to exactly 2 inches, so I'm guessing that that was what BB originally had in there.

You can apply the shader to anything you want, but I used a Cloth Plane (Hi res square) for the examples I showed. If you have Poser 8, try the shader on round or square high res groundplanes - it works a treat.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

cspear ( ) posted Tue, 20 April 2010 at 9:25 AM · edited Tue, 20 April 2010 at 9:32 AM

Here's BB's original post. It also has the settings for doing 'hair' based grass.

EDIT: holy moly,  the original post is over 4 years old! I can't believe I've been using this shader and its derivates that long.

Adobe CC 2017

beos53 ( ) posted Tue, 20 April 2010 at 9:11 PM

I thank everyone for their help and thank you for the link to BB;s original post

Benboom ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 7:55 AM

How do I save the material? I can save a scene with the material in it, or I can save a prop, but how do I save the material settings so I don't have to enter them all again manually the next time I want to use the grass texture? The Material library gives me only the option to create a new folder, nothing for the material itself.

cspear ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 8:19 AM

Quote - How do I save the material?

Make sure you're in the Material Room. Select the object that has the material applied, and make sure the library window is active (if you're using P8 / PPro 2010). If it's a new, empty folder, click on the bit that says 'empty'; otherwise click on any existing icon in there. You should see the [+] button at the bottom.

Adobe CC 2017

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 21 April 2010 at 8:56 AM · edited Wed, 21 April 2010 at 8:56 AM

Also, if you save the prop with the grass texture applied to it, it will be the active material whenever you load the prop. In other words, the material settings get saved with the prop.

Laurie

Benboom ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 6:12 AM

Quote - > Quote - How do I save the material?

Make sure you're in the Material Room. Select the object that has the material applied, and make sure the library window is active (if you're using P8 / PPro 2010). If it's a new, empty folder, click on the bit that says 'empty'; otherwise click on any existing icon in there. You should see the [+] button at the bottom.

That's what confuses me. If I do what you say (I'm using Poser Pro 2010, BTW), all it will let me do is create a new folder. It won't let me save the texture. I just tried it and I got a new empty folder called "Grass" at the end of the process. In (for example) the Figures library you can make a new folder but you can also save a figure - there are three options there: 1. Create new folder (icon with a folder that has a + on it), 2, Add to library (Icon with only a +), and 3, Remove from library (Icon with a -). In the Materials library there is only an icon for Create new folder. It's odd that in the Materials library there isn't even a Remove from library icon, let alone an Add to library one. 

cspear ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 8:21 AM

file_451719.jpg

Benboom, the library in PoserPro 2010 can be a bit fiddly sometimes - I've made the sort of mistake you mention above countless times.

It's worth stressing that you can only save mt5 or mc6 files from the Material Room, unlike figures, poses, hair and all the rest that you can save from the Pose Room - the pic shows the differences in the library window.

The [ - ] button shows because I have a material selected in the library. The [ + ] button is there because I've selected the material to be saved.

Adobe CC 2017

Benboom ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 3:24 PM

I'm in Poser Pro 2010 right now (on my other machine). I'm in the Material Room. I have the grass (single sided square) item selected and see all the shader tree mods I've done. I select the Poser library window. However, all I get at the bottom of the Library window is an icon with a folder and a + symbol over it. That's all. That's why I'm confused. Perhaps there is something funky about my Poser installation? It seems to work fine in most other respects, although certain files cause it to crash. I haven't figured out what the common denominator is with the crash thing but it seems to happen on certain files and not on others, but I suppose it is possible that this is related. Or maybe it's something completely different. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, 6 gigs of ram (and very glad to get Poser 2010 because of that extra ram - now I can finally use it.)

I have looked through the Library display options and haven't found anything that will toggle extra icons but it doesn't seem like that should be necessary. I think something just isn't working right here.

Benboom ( ) posted Thu, 22 April 2010 at 3:33 PM · edited Thu, 22 April 2010 at 3:33 PM

Oh, forgot to mention (FWIW) - if I select an existing material in the Materials library I get icons for Apply Preset, Add folder, Delete from library, and Add to favorites. But nothing I do ever gives me a single + icon for Add Material.  When I select a folder in the Materials library I only get the one icon (add folder) as explained earlier.

Benboom ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 5:53 AM

I found a workaround - kludgy, but at least I was able to save the texture. I loaded the file into Poser 8, whereupon I was able to add the texture to the library. So it's obviously a Poser Pro 2010 issue on my system. Sorry to hijack the OP's thread with this.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 4:03 PM

Quote - Oh, forgot to mention (FWIW) - if I select an existing material in the Materials library I get icons for Apply Preset, Add folder, Delete from library, and Add to favorites. But nothing I do ever gives me a single + icon for Add Material.  When I select a folder in the Materials library I only get the one icon (add folder) as explained earlier.

You should probably submit a bug report to Smith Micro if the + sign isn't showing up for you at all in Poser Pro 2010. I'd also reccommend pestering BillBaggins who wrote the library for Poser Pro 2010.

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 23 April 2010 at 6:22 PM

Two things I do when that happens. First switch to Favorites and then back to the Library sometimes brings the + sign back. If that doesn't work, quit the library and then from the pull down that allows you to view the various parts, select library and it will relaunch. (I am at work so I can't remember the pull down title). But the latter has worked every time for me. It's like the longer I use PP2010, and navigate to various runtimes and so forth the library either has to much to keep track of or runs out of memory. I use the AIR version.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.