Mon, Sep 9, 6:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Exporting hair props to .obj

papillon68 ( ) posted Tue, 18 May 2010 at 4:56 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 6:43 AM

I'm designing a series of "furry" characters and since I'd like to make those also Daz compliant, I'd like to export hair groups into .obj files, and later on merge those again in a conforming figure.
I tried but it seems that when you export a hair group to .obj, it just saves only the guide hair (even in I enable "Show populated" in the Hair Room), and not all the geometry.
Am I trying to do something that is impossible ? :-)
Thanks

visit my blog:  www.alessandromastronardi.com

My Rendo Store

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 18 May 2010 at 6:24 PM

Yes.

You can't use dynamic hair outside of Poser :(

IF you have an older version of Poser (like 4, not even sure if this still worked in Poser 5) there's an easter egg you get if you type "hair" in the pose room (which was the only room in P4 L) That kind of hair could be exported with Masa's FurFur script thing.

But this is ages ago :) And the hair generated that way had insanely high polycount.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2010 at 3:38 AM

Kawecki has a dynamic hair convertor in freestuff. It will open a saved dynamic hair library (HR2) file and "expand" it into a full OBJ mesh - although that makes it bigger of course.

It also has an option to open an OBJ. I'm not sure why that's there, if there's no way of getting a dynamic hair in OBJ form - I thought the hairs were represented as lines? Maybe Kawecki knows something we don't. :)

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2010 at 3:41 AM

There is a way of doing it but it is sadly not going to give great results.

Vue will import hair and essentially turn it into an obj format.  The problem is that it seems quite clumpy and has a polycount that would make your eyes water.

Then of course you have to have a version of Vue that will let you export it, not all of them have that option.

I suspect your best bet for Daz is to create some sort of fuzzy shader, tough how you would do that I have no clue, being totally unfamiliar with Daz Studio

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2010 at 3:42 AM

Quote -  Kawecki has a dynamic hair convertor in freestuff. It will open a saved dynamic hair library (HR2) file and "expand" it into a full OBJ mesh - although that makes it bigger of course.

It also has an option to open an OBJ. I'm not sure why that's there, if there's no way of getting a dynamic hair in OBJ form - I thought the hairs were represented as lines? Maybe Kawecki knows something we don't. :)

Nice one Bob, I will have a look at that kawecki converter :)

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2010 at 3:48 AM

Hmm... Hold your horses, I can't find it now.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2010 at 3:57 AM

file_453104.png

Ah, got it. That function is now built in to [ Kawecki's Prop Viewer 2](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=12699). That can open an HR2 file and export an OBJ - each line becomes a thin ribbon of polygons. The screenshot shows RDNA's Modern Bob opened in Prop Viewer.

PoseRay can also do the line to ribbon conversion.

DarrenUK ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2010 at 7:25 AM · edited Wed, 19 May 2010 at 7:27 AM

i posted a similar proble quite a while ago but didn't really get any replies that were helpfull for what I wanted to do.

I am usesless at using the styling tools in the hair room, but managed to get a "towseled" look that I liked by animating the figure with the hair and scullcap parented to it.

What I wanted to do, was to save the style in a particular frame as dynamic hair.
First I was told to export it from that frame as an obj, then re-import it. Looked great in preview but as there were no faces did not show it render.

Then I tried using one of the above programs, but it didn't look as good when converted to polygons.

Basically is there any way of saving the shape/style of dynamic hair from a particular frame , as dynamic hair rather than the default first frame, for use in another project?

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

papillon68 ( ) posted Wed, 19 May 2010 at 8:29 AM

Thanks for all these informations guys !

My Rendo Store

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 6:26 AM

Dynamic hair exports as obj, but in the obj file it appears as a line element and not as face, so only can be rendered by engines that can render lines.
My "PropViewer3" is able to render lines and import and export obj with lines, but only does this.
To be able to render dynamic hair with rendering engines that don't support lines you must convert each line to a polygon and you can do this with mine "Hair Converter".
The only problem is that the polygon number of the converted hair can be huge. You can reduce this huge number of polygons in two way or use both.
1- In the hair room reduce the number of segments of the hair. The default value is 20 and you can reduce it to 4. Of course with less segments the hair can degrade and bends less.
You have to experiment the minimun value where the result is still acceptable.
You can also reduce the hair density or the number of hairs.
2- In the hair converter there is an option "reduce" that decrease the number of faces and also can degrade the hair even more.

Depending of what you do you can create a hair with only 4 segments and convert and reduce giving as result a hair with only one face per hair, a great reduction with a realtive low number of faces.
The hair will be very degraded but still can look very good for fur or monsters.

Stupidity also evolves!

papillon68 ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 9:10 AM

Kawecki, I searched your store but couldn't find the hair converter: can you give me the link please ?
The exported obj polygons have 3, 4 or higher number of vertices ?

My Rendo Store

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 10:18 AM

You can find it at ShareCG
The exported mesh has square faces (4 vertices).

Stupidity also evolves!

papillon68 ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 10:20 AM

Thanks kawecki. But does it export only the guide hair, or all the hair population ?

My Rendo Store

kawecki ( ) posted Thu, 20 May 2010 at 10:52 PM

In Poser you have to export as obj the hair or select all the hair components and export, or you can save the hair in the hair library and then open the hr2 file with the hair converter.
Many hairs are composite hair, it are formed by several dynamic hair groups and conventional face groups, with the group editor you can select all the elements you want to export or export the whole package.
In the hair converter you can check the "only dynamic" option and once created the hair the result will have only the dynamic hair or uncheck this option and the result will have the converted dynamic hair plus the normal hair as it was before.
In case you load hr2 instead of obj the hr2 file must have internal geometry, any references to an external obj files will not load in the hair converter

Stupidity also evolves!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.