Tue, Oct 22, 12:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Br7ce

rashadcarter ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 3:07 PM

Wow Incognitas, that looks AMAZING. Very good work. Nice deep dark sky for contrast, perfect!

Terminius ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 3:24 PM

How did you get so much fine details on the terrain if you don't mind me inquiring?

Incognitas ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 5:10 PM · edited Sun, 08 August 2010 at 5:10 PM

Quote - How did you get so much fine details on the terrain if you don't mind me inquiring?

The terrain is one of Zhann's rock photos on sale here that I tiled through  Seemless application  and then loaded into the pictures/textures source editor in the alpha channel and then cranked up using the edit textures tools using the top icon.Then a bit of applied  bump until I was satisfied.

Doesn't always work but it can make for less render heavy textures..

UVDan ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 6:29 PM
Forum Moderator

Nice work AS and Incognitas that is also a great scene with the clouds.  What is your render time on that?  Now you need to get into the instancing lab and put something on those rocks.  Maybe a few thousand orcs ready to do battle?

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Incognitas ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 3:33 AM

Quote - Nice work AS and Incognitas that is also a great scene with the clouds.  What is your render time on that?  Now you need to get into the instancing lab and put something on those rocks.  Maybe a few thousand orcs ready to do battle?

Aghhh,not the instancing lab..What ever I'm doing in there is overwhelming B7 and it crashes..

The last time it worked I did get some nice fruit trees though..

Hmm I've just remembered I actually made a metaball lemon and never got around to using it. I wonder if metaballs work in the instancing lab? Probably not, they seem to cause problems full stop in B7.

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 7:25 AM
Forum Moderator

Some very fine work here.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

UVDan ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 9:42 AM
Forum Moderator

I have my good days and my bad days in the instancing lab.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 6:51 PM

I went ahead and turned on HDRI's soft shadows and left a render to finish overnight. Still going, lol. (but I had it rendering only using 2 cores, not all 4)

But, that's really to be expected and my standard test render size is much larger in pixels these days. But, I am very happy with what I see.

I would still most likely render out the shadows separately and apply them in Photoshop and/or just plop render soft shadows on the floors only, which are a couple tricks I've already been using for years.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 10:30 PM

file_457350.jpg

Here's a smaller, untextered version of the render.

Super smooth and soft HDRI shadows.  ;o)

(VERY happy AS!)

Terminius ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 11:27 PM

Quote - > Quote - How did you get so much fine details on the terrain if you don't mind me inquiring?

The terrain is one of Zhann's rock photos on sale here that I tiled through  Seemless application  and then loaded into the pictures/textures source editor in the alpha channel and then cranked up using the edit textures tools using the top icon.Then a bit of applied  bump until I was satisfied.

Doesn't always work but it can make for less render heavy textures..
[/quote

Ah, well. It looks good.]

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 4:22 AM

Speaking of Zhann... Has anybody heard from Zhann lately???

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 7:19 AM
Forum Moderator

I think Zhann popped in once last year.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

goido ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 11:52 AM

Well I am glad to hear about the render times, I wanted to try soft shadows and blurry relections but the computer went Duh! So I may try and overnight render with all premium effects and see how much it takes. Iam still trying the instancing lab, I usually get clump of trees and then have to 2d disperse. I have tried random seed  and size and other parameters but don't have the hand on it yet.

goido ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 11:55 AM

Well I am glad to hear about the render times, I wanted to try soft shadows and blurry relections but the computer went Duh! So I may try and overnight render with all premium effects and see how much it takes. Iam still trying the instancing lab, I usually get clump of trees and then have to 2d disperse. I have tried random seed  and size and other parameters but don't have the hand on it yet.

UVDan ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 12:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Anymore I usually render to disk so my renders can go on in the background while I work on other stuff.

scoleman123 ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 8:37 PM

Wow... I accidently stumble back into here and there's a Bryce 7? Man... I remember people freaking out about 5.5. Kinda bad though, I've not touched the app in 3 years.

runs off to make a SOW

Oh, AS, its nice to see you again. 

facebook.com/scoleman123

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 9:20 PM

Very nice to be seen.  ;o)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 9:22 PM

file_457446.jpg

Been playing with David Brinnen's new Bryce cloudpacks from Daz. Good stuff, good times. ;o)

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 9:24 PM

Quote - Anymore I usually render to disk so my renders can go on in the background while I work on other stuff.

Actually, I have found that V.7 can be minimized like most other programs now (under Windows, at least), and it still keeps working on the render, so I don't even have to render to disk... The risky part is that this makes me forget to save as often as I did when I had to start and stop the render in mid-action.

(...I should go and do that now!....)

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2010 at 10:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Been playing with David Brinnen's new Bryce cloudpacks from Daz. Good stuff, good times. ;o)

I agree.  David is the volume cloud master.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 2:35 AM

file_457462.jpg

Another variant from David's packs.

Incognitas ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 7:00 AM

Quote - Another variant from David's packs.

I've been having a go at making my own courtesy of David's tutorials and I'm now looking at his cloudscapes, taking them apart and looking at how he sets them up.

Just wish my puter was a better one..

Vile ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 6:39 PM

[ Here is a little of what I have been doing in Bryce 7

](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2095941)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 6:41 PM

When I first started with Bryce, my computer was so slow I could not ever render any volumetrics whatsoever, lol. So, I never played with them for the first couple years.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 6:42 PM

@Vile - That is awesome!!

Vile ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 6:54 PM

Quote - When I first started with Bryce, my computer was so slow I could not ever render any volumetrics whatsoever, lol. So, I never played with them for the first couple years.

Saw a 6 core overclocked to 4Ghz liquid cooled with 6 GB of RAM that I drooled over today.

Even my duel 1.8 have a hard time with volumetrics.

dyret ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 7:00 PM

Volume what? Sigh. My pc is from 2005. but I still like B7 pro even though it never keeps the skys I've worked on for half an hour.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 7:25 PM

Never keeps the skies? It crashes?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 7:26 PM

These days, I thankfully have a quad-core AMD @2.5ghz, makes that last render only take 20 minutes.

Vile ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 7:33 PM

Thanks Smith! Yeah maybe time for a new computer this fall...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 8:28 PM

If Bryce ever goes 64-bit, I can guarantee you I would start looking into a new (2nd) computer!

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 10:12 PM
Forum Moderator

How do I get B7 pro to cough up an HDRI render?  I thought I had set up all the parameters in the skylab and hit the render button, but Bryce is displaying the last render I did on my scene.  I cannot tell if it is working on the HDRI render or just sitting there.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 10:23 PM

Sounds like the scene is SO complex, your computer is actually trying to render just the first line of pixels.

Go into the IBL section and take the QUALITY all the way down to 16 and make sure you don't have soft shadows enabled. This will speed up the rendering and will et you know if the rendering is actually taking place.

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 10:27 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks I had quality cranked up.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 12 August 2010 at 10:48 PM

By default it is set at 256. I rarely take it higher than 16, lol.

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 12:57 AM
Forum Moderator

This is the scene.  An airplane, an infinite plane, and some volume clouds at 600x403.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 7:15 AM

Do you use a special texture for the prop? Meaning it looks nice and blurred like its moving.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 7:18 AM · edited Fri, 13 August 2010 at 7:21 AM

file_457514.jpg

One last cloud post. Only very slightly tweaked DTE, moreso with darkening and contrast. This one I also played with the levels of the render in photoshop.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 9:51 AM

Those clouds look nice AS but a bit too dark prhaps? almost all detail on the underside goes lost, and real world clouds would be a bit lighter i think..

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

UVDan ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 10:28 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Do you use a special texture for the prop? Meaning it looks nice and blurred like its moving.

Yes the modeler of the plane (not me) provided an image with an alpha channel to simulate the blurred prop.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 7:00 PM

@UVDan - Cool, that';s what I wondered/thought, cool render.  ;o)

@Rayraz - I just like scenes that are dark/contrasty...or rusted! So, yeah you wouldn't normally get clouds THAT dark unless that was smoke off an oil fire, lol.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 11:45 AM

ah yea you got a point there :) hmm maybe you can sell the preset to BP hahaha

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

50parsecs ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 12:44 PM

Great looking clouds!
I have seen clouds that dark in the real world! Once when Mount St. Helens blew its top, turning day into night, and another time when a tornado hit nearby. I'm totally impressed by Bryce7's new volumetric clouds. That's one of the reasons I bought 7Pro. Love the ability to make your own HDRIs natively too.

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 1:19 PM

AS, I have a copy of a tut that I found way back in 2003 on simulating propeller blur in Bryce, don't know if the site is still up or not.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/2470/proptut.html
You might want to check it out I don't have time this morning

Cheers
GG

WHO said Kiwi's can't Fly ?????

ThunderStone ( ) posted Mon, 16 August 2010 at 1:38 PM

Quote - AS, I have a copy of a tut that I found way back in 2003 on simulating propeller blur in Bryce, don't know if the site is still up or not.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/2470/proptut.html
You might want to check it out I don't have time this morning

Cheers
GG

Geocities websites are closed. The next best place to get those tuts is the internet Archives: Wayback Machine and input the the website you are looking for.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

kiwi_gg ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 1:37 AM

@thunderstone. If I get time on the weekend I might run through it and upload to the Bryce tutorial section as long as the Mods OK it.

Cheers
GG

WHO said Kiwi's can't Fly ?????

goido ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 1:25 PM

I have been playing with instancing, here is something I found. I made 4 rocks then I instanced them with 150 density. I got a clump of rocks, I ungroup them then I 2d disperse them; they are in the air floating so I hit the downward arrow.....I t crashes Bryce everytime! If I manually push then down as a clump and then disperse them Bryce is ok.

Anybody has experienced the same?

rashadcarter ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 1:29 PM

Goido, yes, I have heard of some users having problems with the downward arrow. There are some reports in the tracker now. They seem to think it has to do with scenes which use the new lights. But much more testing is required.

goido ( ) posted Tue, 17 August 2010 at 1:49 PM

Thanks Rashad, no new lights , regular Bryce sky.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Thu, 19 August 2010 at 7:59 PM

Quote - "Do you use a special texture for the prop? Meaning it looks nice and blurred like its moving."

*Yes the modeler of the plane (not me) provided an image with an alpha channel to simulate the blurred prop.

I have faked prop blur in the past by turning up transparency of prop mats then replicating it, each time rotating it slightly on the propeller axle axis.  Cheap fake.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.