Sun, Sep 22, 5:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: Daz and Wings 3D

darman42 ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 3:20 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 5:28 AM

I've been following some tutorials on making my own stuff for DAZ studio in Wings 3D, but one thing has always escaped me. Whenever I import a .obj from Wings to DAZ, there is only one "segment" in the Surfaces tab for it. What I'm wondering is how I can add more "segments" to an object that i make, so that I can have more control over the material settings.

If anyone could lead me to a tutorial that explains it, or could just outright tell me, I'd appreciate it.

tokejr ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 3:37 PM

I don't know anything about Wings3D (I use Hexagon), but you have to create material zones to be able to change/define materials.

I found this:
To add a new material:
Make sure nothing is selected in the Outliner.
R-click on the outliner window and choose "Material..." from the pop-up menu.
You will be prompted for a name for your new material.

To edit an existing material:
L-click on the material name to select it.
R-click on it and choose "Edit Material" from the pop-up menu.

Warning:
the "hole" material is a special material that is used to flag faces that are to be ignored on export.
Wings3D requires that the mesh be closed ("manifold"... no holes), therefore to export models with holes, you need to assign the hole material to the faces that close the holes in Wings.

here: http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/topic/5638/t/Material-Editor.html

Hope that helps.

odf ( ) posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 9:23 PM

I always assign materials like this in Wings:

1. Select the faces you want to apply the material to.
    2) Right-click to get the drop-down menu. Find the entry ".Material." near the bottom.
    3) Left-click to assign an existing material; right-click to create and assign a new one.
    4) If you chose to create a new material, Wings will ask for a name and then open the material editor where you can assign colors and such.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

darman42 ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 2:52 PM

thank you so much : D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.