Mon, Sep 9, 5:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Customers

Welcome to the MarketPlace Customers Forum

Forum Moderators: tim, msansing, ebasham

MarketPlace Customers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 1:12 am)

Contact and Support Information:

To reach our Marketplace staff, please open a support ticket at
support.renderosity.com

Our goal is to respond to support tickets within 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Subject: New Store Layout (Feedback)

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 1:23 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 9:16 PM

The new store layout with the tabs has left me speechless; and not in a good way!

It's annoying as all heck having to click on tab after tab to get the information I am seeking in order to determine whether I want to purchase the item or not.

In addition to that, the product requirement has now become a scavenger hunt!   For example I was looking at this product:

https://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=74834&vendor=black-eye

I looked and looked at that item trying to determine if it was a stand alone package or not.  At one time all I had to do was look at "product requirement" to see. But not anymore!!

I noticed that some items for sale have 3 additional images of the package located in a frame under the main image.  On the above linked package I noticed a frame with 3 additional images too, and clicked on the one that stood out  ( red coffin).  It took me to a separate product page.

The package looked similar and that is the only reason I scrutinized the above linked item more. After going tab to tab and back again, I finally noticed, squished between a line and the tabs,  that the above linked item is an addon not a stand alone item.

If you want to make the MP user friendly, you will stop doing things that make it a horrendous effort to shop in your MP!

It's bad enough that the freestuff has become a virtual click fest, but now you have to turn the MP into one too?!

If the goal is to make money and keep this MP alive, then start listening to your members and stop destroying the site!

I can see the merit of some tabs, but certain basic information should be readily available at a glance without having to resort to playing seek-and-find.

Please:

1.  put the product requirements back in the open;

2.  put the basic description up front under "Description" and not under "Editorial";

3.   if you are going to offer additional images for the product, do it for all products, not just for some. Please note the following links for examples:

A) This link has 3 additional images below the main image.  And at the very bottom it states: ** "Customers how bought this item also bought"** ; and provides links to additional packages.
https://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=74602

B) Compare that one to this one that has no additional images listed below the main image, at at the bottom states "Related Products".
https://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=74834

Notice the description in both are completely empty and that the information and images are found under the "Editorial" tab.

When I go to a store be it physically or virtually, I don't want to have to play hunt-and-seek to find out the information I need in order to decide to buy the item. I expect that information to be laid out for me in a clear and easy to find manner, not hidden behind doors and tabs.

Oh, and for the record:

Description = To describe
Editorial = To present an opinion

IMHO the only thing that should be under editorial is if the Vendor has any additional comments and/or tips on how to use their package... IE: Render settings, light settings, etc.  It shouldn't contain the description of the product or the product requirement.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 1:40 AM

PS:

The one feature that I do like is the allowance of hyperlinking to an outside MP if the Renderosity product requires a product from a different MP to be used.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Fugazi1968 ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 4:26 AM

Im not keen on the additional image viewer.  Not because it's not a good idea, but because I spend half my time scrolling up and down the screen, so that I can actuall view the whole image, navigate from one to another, then a final scroll down to the bottom of the image.

Please put close at the top, instead of or as well as the bottom.  Some sort of fit to screen would be better.  or make the promo images landscape instead of portrait.  I suspect most people have widescreen monitors by now, so a portrait promo makes less and less sense.

John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

Janl ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 7:49 AM

I don't like the new layout either. It's very unfriendly and difficult to find information as Acadia has already stated. Please return it the way it was. :)

Klebnor ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 8:22 AM

Did you hire the web designer from Content Paradise?

Blech!

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

Kalypso ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 8:47 AM
Site Admin

Actually as far as the product description goes, the default descriptions that merchants had now show under Editorial.   In order for it to show in the Description tab the merchant will have to update it and from what I know some people are facing hundreds of product pages that need updating so it might take a while for all the kinks to be ironed out.

Also some merchants have opted for leaving their pages as they were in html format and those older pages can be accessed in the Editorial tab where you'll see the product as before.

As new products come out I assume the vendors will try to make their layout more user-friendly (within the confines of the site's requirements) as it's in their own iterest to do so :)

Lzy724 ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 8:52 AM

It is also quite possible that this vendor has not gotten to this product to make the adjustments yet either.  Dont forget some vendors have pages and pages of adjustments to make.  Everything didnt just move over.

Being a vendor, and someone with a full time job, I am still working on my pages.

with that said, being a customer, I have to say, I am not fond of the changes myself.  It takes forever for pages to load, longer than before. and I dont like having to click through all the tabs.

3-DArena ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 1:01 PM

Quote -
I noticed that some items for sale have 3 additional images of the package located in a frame under the main image.  On the above linked package I noticed a frame with 3 additional images too, and clicked on the one that stood out  ( red coffin).  It took me to a separate product page.

The package looked similar and that is the only reason I scrutinized the above linked item more. After going tab to tab and back again, I finally noticed, squished between a line and the tabs,  that the above linked item is an addon not a stand alone item.

You do realize that you went to a separate product page  because the red coffin is under the "related products" section, an area that has been at the bottom of the store pages for quite some time?

Quote -

I can see the merit of some tabs, but certain basic information should be readily available at a glance without having to resort to playing seek-and-find.

Please:

1.  put the product requirements back in the open;

2.  put the basic description up front under "Description" and not under "Editorial";

Product requirements are still exactly where they have been - at the top above the descriptions, if the Vendor has added them.

Your problem with this product is frankly because the vendor hasn't updated their pages.  Many of us are still in the midst of doing that.  As our original descriptions were moved to the Editorial tab we need to now update and move them to the main tab.

Quote -

3.   if you are going to offer additional images for the product, do it for all products, not just for some. Please note the following links for examples:

A) This link has 3 additional images below the main image.  And at the very bottom it states: ** "Customers how bought this item also bought"** ; and provides links to additional packages.
https://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=74602

B) Compare that one to this one that has no additional images listed below the main image, at at the bottom states "Related Products".
https://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=74834

Again this is as it always has been, by that I mean that if the vendor had hosted their own images and added them to the description that is where they may still be if they haven't updated - except now it's under the Editorial tab, until they update.

The Customers also bought and related products section is no different than it ever was before.  The customers also bought section disappears after awhile, especially on seasonal items as it reflects recent purchases within xx number of days or something.

The related products section has been around for awhile and vendors add the related items to it, or not.

Quote -

Notice the description in both are completely empty and that the information and images are found under the "Editorial" tab.

When I go to a store be it physically or virtually, I don't want to have to play hunt-and-seek to find out the information I need in order to decide to buy the item. I expect that information to be laid out for me in a clear and easy to find manner, not hidden behind doors and tabs.

Oh, and for the record:

Description = To describe
Editorial = To present an opinion

IMHO the only thing that should be under editorial is if the Vendor has any additional comments and/or tips on how to use their package... IE: Render settings, light settings, etc.  It shouldn't contain the description of the product or the product requirement.

Again, this is due to a change in how vendors have to make their descriptions.  If the pages have not yet been updated or if the vendor still prefers their old appearance for description it is under the Editorial tab where HTML is allowed.

As more vendors update their stores and in newer products you will find descriptions in the main tab.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 26 August 2010 at 9:17 PM

I'm sure those developing these vendor page ideas really thought that this was going to improve how pages were going to display and allow potential buyers to get to the meat of what they want to know more quickly than before. In practice, this simply isn't happening.

I would have suggested - like when google came out with their new gmail thingie and Live, same thing - that a select number of vendors be involved with trialing the new vendor page format. Then the bugs could have been worked out (like having product description not end up on the 2nd tab, which means they might as well hide the info, given people's short-attention span) and it would also have given vendors time for education as to how the new pages are meant to work.

Just my two cents... no question that the people on this project only want increased sales for vendors, but I'm afraid there's show-stopper issues that are going to prevent that from happening, your own experiences being a prime example, Acadia.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

alu000 ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 6:59 AM

I have a mac, and on safari browser I see all the info that is/was below the first pic (price, add to cart, share, requirements and so on) "broken"... I'll try to explain myself: a week ago or so I saw it normally below the pic, now I see the info "mixed" with the right column; that is, vertically where it has to be, but horizontally displaced to the right.

Browser (safari) fail? Recent incompatibilities with mac? My fault? Any other option?

Thanks in advance. Sergio.

exnem ( ) posted Fri, 27 August 2010 at 12:40 PM

Have to agree with Acadia. The new system is awful. And from a vendor point of view, it's even worse. I realize and appreciate the time and effort it takes but I liked it much more the way it was before. Having all the info displayed in editorial now if you use HTML is simply annoying and not very good for sales...

macatelier ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 7:03 AM

Quote -  I have a mac, and on safari browser I see all the info that is/was below the first pic (price, add to cart, share, requirements and so on) "broken"... I'll try to explain myself: a week ago or so I saw it normally below the pic, now I see the info "mixed" with the right column; that is, vertically where it has to be, but horizontally displaced to the right.

Browser (safari) fail? Recent incompatibilities with mac? My fault? Any other option?

Thanks in advance. Sergio.

You mean like this?

If it's your fault then it must be mine too.  So far I've had no response from Renderosity and as a customer and vendor I'm unhappy about this.

gypsyangel ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 1:08 PM

I'll admit, I tried to like the new layout, I really did...but I hate it. I gave it a little bit to get used to it. It's a pain, I can't navigate it properly, it doesn't work at all with the way I'm used to surfing the web so for this one website, I have to dig out a mouse to use---WHICH I HATE. I don't use a mouse on my computer, haven't for about a decade until now, because it doesn't react properly to my Wacom pen. I have to click on assorted tabs instead of just dropping down and clicking on the link. I have to say, it's one of the few times that newer is definitely not better. I'll probably not do as much shopping as I used to because of this. And I can't even imagine how it's going to be on the selling end.

It was just a really bad idea made, I'm sure, with the best intentions...

alu000 ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 8:19 AM

Quote -

You mean like this?

If it's your fault then it must be mine too.  So far I've had no response from Renderosity and as a customer and vendor I'm unhappy about this.

Yes, I mean exactly this. At least, I'm not the only who sees product pages so bad formatted.

KageRyu ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 7:18 AM

I very much dislike the new store and item layouts as well. I agree, the tabs are more of a pain the the so-called infinite scrolling they were trying to fix (I never had a problem with that - in fact I like more info and I like it all on one page where I can just read down through it).

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

Incognitas ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 7:55 AM

Hard to say whether I like the new look seeing as I cannot use the store  in Firefox because of some glitch that leaves me unable to actually look at any products..

Ah well I'll save money while it's like this..

Silke ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2010 at 4:27 PM

Not doing it for me either.
I (used to. Not anymore) look mostly at older products, and they are a total waste of space now in the new layout.
If all products had been updated to go with the new layout, then maybe this would work for people who browse to buy.
Right now, I click on something, get bored and leave.
I wonder how sales are affected with this new layout,

Silke

deni67 ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 8:28 AM

For those whinging about a lack of description in some products, give the poor vendors a go. Granted we only had a few to do on our store but think about the vendors who have pages and pages to do. These people have lives too and don't need to sit here 24/7 making sure their store is correct to keep you lot happy!

HeavyRay ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 8:48 AM

I 'm not keen on the way additional views/pics are displayed.  When I purchase a product, I like to capture the entire page (using SnagIt) as a PDF, and the additional views as JPG's (using the right-mouse-click 'save as' option.)   Now, I have to click through each additional image and manually "frame" the part of the screen I wish to capture, THEN save it.  Call me a 'whiner' if you must, but it's a PITA...
I also second the request for a close icon in the upper section of the image, so that I don't have to scroll and find it in the lower right corner...

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 10:01 PM

Quote - For those whinging about a lack of description in some products, give the poor vendors a go. Granted we only had a few to do on our store but think about the vendors who have pages and pages to do. These people have lives too and don't need to sit here 24/7 making sure their store is correct to keep you lot happy!

I feel your pain, Deni... and can't help but wonder if those clever programmers who dreamt up this new interface couldn't have developed some sort of transitioning script to import current (well, previous, now) pages to the new format. Or was that all "too-hard basket" stuff??

Metaphor of Chooks

deni67 ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 3:05 AM

Who knows Robyn but the way it stands it's up to the vendors so no use people complaining about it, a lot of them arn't enjoying it either.
By the way, i hope you're well stranger xxx

derrys1969 ( ) posted Sun, 05 September 2010 at 5:35 PM

My problem is this layout is just like the one at Illusion Design, where you can grab images to place in a database in order to maintain some organization.  Right click on the image within the Flash gallery does not give you an option to save it some where.

I guess that's just something we have to deal with I guess.

DalekSupreme ( ) posted Mon, 06 September 2010 at 8:12 PM

I have found the new layout to be a pain.

I really liked the old layout for its simplicity and ease of use.

I don't like the popups or the hunt for the description between description and editorial. The new look leaves me cold and takes alot of time.

I have even found I have missed attractive product because it takes so long to load the popup and scroll up and down the popup page.

Please can we go back to the old layout when the site was a breeze to use, and do it quick before the vendors waste too much time updating their pages to this horrible new format.

Shopping here is now a chore. That goes against all retail common sense.

Lucie ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 9:01 AM

Derry, if you right click on the thumbnail and click "open link in new window" it should give you the full image that you can then save, at least it works for me in firefox...

My biggest issue with the new layout is sometimes I click on a thumbnail and the popup doesn't pop-up, I sometimes have to try several times before it will open and sometimes when I click on next or previous, instead of showing the next or previous image the pop-up window will just disappear, very annoying... 

I also didn't realize that some vendors had the description and additional images in the Editorial tab.  I clicked a few times in that editorial tab for various products just to see what it was, there was never anything there so I stopped clicking on it, at least now I know that if there are no description or images on the first page, I should probably check the Editorial tab.

I feel for the vendors who have to edit several pages of products so that their description and images show up where they should, what a pain and a waste of time that they'd probably prefer to spend on the creation of new products.

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

derrys1969 ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 4:04 PM

Who's idea was this new layout anyway?  Was it the vendors or something?

derrys1969 ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 4:07 PM

Actually, Lucie, that doesn't work for me in Firefox nor I.E.  I'll probably try to use Opera or Safari or something.

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 08 September 2010 at 5:13 PM

Quote - Who's idea was this new layout anyway?  Was it the vendors or something?

IIRC, there was a question about tabs in (one of) last year's surveys.
TPB must have got a positive response to the idea, it just seems (once again) to be the execution that has ended up face palm worthy (or as it's September, possibly a foot-gun ranging shot).

DalekSupreme ( ) posted Thu, 09 September 2010 at 8:27 PM

Click

I am (please wait for pop up, make cup of tea, click)

trying (scroll scroll click scroll click scroll click scroll click click)

to (click tab)

Use (click Tab)

This new (CLICK TAB)

Layout  but (Click scroll click scroll)

ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 8:33 AM

yeah I have to use, in IE8, right click on thumbnail, open in new window, to be able to save each image as alas the pop up images can't be saved with a *right click --> save picture as
*which is annoying :/
To me it's important to archive images/webpages to find things suitable for each project.

bar that, I like the changes :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Dizzi ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 12:06 PM

Quote - yeah I have to use, in IE8, right click on thumbnail, open in new window, to be able to save each image as alas the pop up images can't be saved with a *right click --> save picture as
*which is annoying :/

Maybe you should use the "save linked content" option (or whatever it's called in IE?

silverblade33 ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 2:50 PM

Dizzi
no such thing far as I am aware :)
nowadays I save the page as .htm so it's one neat file rather than older HTML
and then save the pics I want, so they show as icons in my folders, which is a very good way of browisng for suitable content

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

Cacoethes ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2010 at 12:59 PM

Am I the only person who can't get the tabs to work since the latest Firefox update?

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2010 at 5:46 PM

They work for me... Firefox 3.6.9...

Metaphor of Chooks

Lucie ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2010 at 7:01 PM

Same version, they work fine for me too...

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

Cacoethes ( ) posted Sat, 11 September 2010 at 7:18 PM

Strange...
Even though I don't care much for the new layout, at least I was able to access the editorial, reviews, etc. until a few days ago.
Now those tabs are completely empty. I've tried right clicking them and opening in a new tab, but that redirects me to the product page, and then a few seconds later, that disappears, and all I'm left with is the option to give it a thumbs up on facebook.

Cacoethes ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 2:20 PM

Quote - Strange...
Even though I don't care much for the new layout, at least I was able to access the editorial, reviews, etc. until a few days ago.
Now those tabs are completely empty. I've tried right clicking them and opening in a new tab, but that redirects me to the product page, and then a few seconds later, that disappears, and all I'm left with is the option to give it a thumbs up on facebook.

I'm still experiencing this problem. Any suggestions?

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 3:37 PM

Quote - I'm still experiencing this problem.

Your not the only one.
It does seem to be only happening on pages from pre-change items.

Quote - Any suggestions?

Send the MP staff a note of which pages are still failing, and hope that the Rendo programmers can figure out what the problem is (if they get enough reports they might  decide to disable it).

Cacoethes ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2010 at 4:49 PM

It's all of them for me, and I still can't see anything in those tabs.

Ok, I'll send KristiS a PM, since the staff don't seem to want to ackowledge this thread.

Cacoethes ( ) posted Thu, 30 September 2010 at 3:41 AM

Another week has passed, and still I can't view the editorials :|

Cacoethes ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 8:54 AM

Life just seems to pass me by...

StaceyG ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 11:01 AM

Please contact the Marketplace Manager or Marketplace Assistant (DebbieM or BlakeM) to see if they can help you with your issue.

Thank you

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.