Mon, Sep 9, 5:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 12:29 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: The site poll issue

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:02 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:49 AM

I can see from the many many comments on the poll regarding exe files that people are not getting it....rendo isnt trying to do AWAY with zips, they are adding dmg and exes to zips, which gives the buyer more flexibility.....3 options to choose. If you read all the comments, a lot of people are missing the point that this would actually be a good thing for everyone.

Make sure you guys read it before voting, because i think it's definitely a good idea! =)

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:04 PM

I noticed. I can't imagine I'm any more observant than the next person (and probably even much less...lol ;o)). Don't know how else they could have worded it. "In addition to" kind of said it all ;o).

Laurie

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:05 PM

Well they could have made the font this big =D

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:23 PM

That would have done it...lol.

Laurie

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:26 PM

Yep i think so....I dont think people realize...this could benefit everyone

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:32 PM

I did read it, although  they do use the words offering the customer this option (or similar phrasing) they don't clearly state that they are not planning to offer this option in place of the zip files.  All businesses are notorious for ambiguous wording in polls to skew the results. And no where in the poll question do I see in addition to, are we getting different questions, because this is the text of the the question I am seeing:

Gauging the level of interest in offering .exe and .dmg files to buyers.

Packaging large files into an 'intelligent' executable (.exe) file is not a new idea but the thought of offering this standard feature to Renderosity buyers is. We want to know if Renderosity buyers would find this feature helpful to them and add value to the overall buying experience.

Currently, when a buyer purchases a product from the Renderosity MarketPlace they have the ability to download a .zip file. That .zip file is then extracted and contents must be placed in the proper directories (or folders) in order for that product to work properly. With an .exe file, the user can simply click the mouse and watch as all necessary files are quickly extracted to the proper directories eliminating the chance for user error during the install process. If a user wants to uninstall a product from their archives there would no longer be a need for manual moving and/or deleting files - instead, the .exe would come complete with both an install and uninstall command button. MAC users will find offered .dmg files useful by simply having to drag these files to their 'Applications' folder to completely install their product.

As any experienced buyer knows, file sizes and associated download times can often slow you down. Another benefit of these .exe or .dmg files is that with ultra compression - these otherwise very large .zip files can be greatly reduced in size and thus increasing speed of downloads.

Before any decisions are made to offer these MarketPlace enhancements, we wanted to make sure we gave you the opportunity to answer the following question. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty!

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:33 PM

It's pretty clear to me - the poll question is:

'Would you find it beneficial, as a buyer, to have the ability to download either an .exe file (pc users) or a .dmg file (mac users) along with your standard .zip files?'

along with means both

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:46 PM

Sorry...the wording was "along with"...makes it totally mean something else.

??

Laurie

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 5:53 PM

Then obviously, I still need some help to find the real live poll, because the newsletter link says

Buyer Poll Regarding .EXE's  We want to know what our buyers think about the option of downloading .exe files.

If you click that news letter link it takes you straight to the article I quoted in my post above..  If you go from the home page , no where on that link blurb is the question phrased as you have put it and that link also takes you to the article text which is exactly as I have quoted in my post above and also nowhere states the question as you have stated it.

So if this isn't the poll question then I still haven't found the actual question, but if this article does represent the poll question, then it doesn't say this

'Would you find it beneficial, as a buyer, to have the ability to download either an .exe file (pc users) or a .dmg file (mac users) along with your standard .zip files?'

Anywhere in that text.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:03 PM

file_458569.jpg

here

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:16 PM

Well, that would explain the disparity, I am not getting the poll question at the bottom of the article, using firefox 3.6.8 (which is what I always use), there is no question.  Heck after seeing someone else say they weren't getting a question either I even turned off adblock and tried the page again thinking that perhaps it was structured in one of those ways programmers think is cute and browsers hate, but nope, still no question.

That's going to make for some really accurate poll results if  only some of the customers can even see the poll. lol

Ah, well, I am basically philosophical about this stuff, if they do something I can't stand I just quit shopping, but the question is indeed worded as also (even if I can't see it) so I apologize for arguing with you over it.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:19 PM

Ahhhh, fair enough

But see, they won't do something you can't stand from the looks of it, all they'll do is improve flexibility for products especially those who are on Macs. From the viewpoint as a vendor, this can make a tremendous impact on the site/sales, all to the positive.

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:30 PM

I can't get it in IE either!!

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:30 PM

Must be something on your computer blocking it

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:33 PM

Oh well.....  

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:37 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:38 PM

Yeah AnnieD, I'm not getting the question in IE 8 either and since that exhausts my browser options, I can only say oh well to the whole thing.

Propschick, it would seem they don't plan to do anything I can't stand in terms of the whole file type thing, but having an invisible poll falls into one of those categories of things I have little tolerance for.  But that is an entirely different problem/question all in itself.

Have a great day and thanks for helping me sort out what was going on.

Propschick ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:39 PM

I don't think they planned on making it invisible.....

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:41 PM

It seems that many are not getting it...( the question ) and that may be why there is confusion over what the choice is all about...

[Stuart Chase]

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:41 PM

O, FF, and IE  and crome Windoes xp V and 7 and I see the full poll just like Propschick posted. O even see the full thing on my I Phone

========================================================
Typing Advisory :
Read at your own risk! May cause
dizziness, naseua,drooling, and temporary blindness.
Surgeon General recommends running the txt through a spell checker.

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:44 PM

Quote - O, FF, and IE  and crome Windoes xp V and 7 and I see the full poll just like Propschick posted. O even see the full thing on my I Phone

and???

[Stuart Chase]

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:46 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:03 PM

just saying I see it like propschick posted  .

Typing Advisory :

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:49 PM

Hmmm...I see it and I have AdBlock running even... Firefox 3.6.8.

Strange.

Laurie

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:50 PM

See I was lost coz I see it on my Iphone but then again I think anything on my phone is cool aww i'm so easy to make happy lmao

Typing Advisory :

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:52 PM

Its obvious that some ppl can see the question...its also obvious that some ppl can't see it.
Since I can't see it...I would like someone who knows how its set up to see if they can figure out the reasons why we can't see the poll question....but we can see everything else on the page.

So yes, I guess I need some help.

[Stuart Chase]

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:55 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:02 PM

Maybe taking a screen image and mailling would help.
Bobbie

Typing Advisory :

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 6:56 PM

Check and see if you are blocking javascripts. I'm not.

Laurie

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:09 PM

file_458574.jpg

No I'm not blocking anything.. here is the screen shot

[Stuart Chase]

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:19 PM

lol, What AnnieD said above me, that is exactly what I get, in both FF 3.6.8 and IE8 with or without adblock running in FF and javascript is enabled on my browsers because you can't even use these darn sites without in many cases.  Most frustrating, because whether they intended for it to be invisible or not, it is for some of us, my OS shouldn't make a hoot to browse a web page and see a poll, but if it helps them sort the problem I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:20 PM

wow ok then i can so see now ty for the image.
Bobbie

Typing Advisory :

AnnieD ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:30 PM

Quote - lol, What AnnieD said above me, that is exactly what I get, in both FF 3.6.8 and IE8 with or without adblock running in FF and javascript is enabled on my browsers because you can't even use these darn sites without in many cases.  Most frustrating, because whether they intended for it to be invisible or not, it is for some of us, my OS shouldn't make a hoot to browse a web page and see a poll, but if it helps them sort the problem I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I don't think it makes any difference...lol
but I have a 32 bit vista home premium...

I'm starting to feel like ppl are lookin' at me funny cause they can see and I can't....  lmao!
everytime I say I can't see it...someone else comes back and tells me everything they can see it in..

[Stuart Chase]

Bobbie25 ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:37 PM

No It helps to see things like this really it dose and TY

Typing Advisory :

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:39 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 7:40 PM

I don't think it makes any difference...lol
but I have a 32 bit vista home premium...

I'm starting to feel like ppl are lookin' at me funny cause they can see and I can't....  lmao!
everytime I say I can't see it...someone else comes back and tells me everything they can see it in..

Yeah, I know what you mean, you can see by my post count that I almost never post in the forums here and all I can wonder is how many of the people who had the Not No, but hell NO opinion are in the same boat we are, they are not even seeing the only place it is even mentioned that this would be in addition to the current zip option and are basing their answers on the page they see.

Sveva ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:01 PM

I was just coming along to see if anything had been said about this poll because I thought it was completely odd all the NO votes for something that won't change anything for anyone except for people who actually WANT to have .exe files...

But this would explain it!  how weird that it doesn't show up for some people (the poll question) and it does for others!

So all of you who cannot see the question, are you able to answer the poll?  Would this be why there is so much negativity towards having an added file type to download, a new choice to make, that wont affect zip lovers at all because they can still have them?

It seemed so odd to me to have such a negative feedback from something with no negative drawbacks!

So if you can see the poll choice and answer it, but cant see the actual question, then the poll is indeed not going to work right...lol and that would be the reason for all the no answers.

Looks like we need a little clarification for some customers since it isnt working right for them and maybe a new poll if someone can figure out why its acting weird!

Well not to beat a dead horse, but I see it, and my fiance sees it on his pc...weird weird

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:21 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:24 PM

I have Vista 32 bit HP as well AnnieD and I can see it, so it has to be something else :(

Sveva: it could be a lot of ppl are saying no because they don't understand the question which was .exe or .dmg along with the zip files. If you're not paying close enough attention I guess you could miss that last bit ;o). Or they could be like Annie and others and not even see it.

Laurie

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:26 PM · edited Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:28 PM

Well, I don't have enough tech savvy to absolutely say how this has happened, but can now provide further info as to what is happening...

When my hubby got home, I was telling him about this oddity, so being on the same lan he fired up his system, went to rendo to the poll and he could see the question, that told us it wasn't a local network problem, but he is using the exact same browser on windows xp,  so he pulled up the source code for the page on both his machine and on mine.  The entire .poll html section is missing from the source code under my Vista system but is there and displays under his xp system when viewed with both of us using FF3.6.8.

If it was only happening in FF, I might have thought it was a browser specific error, but since it affects IE as well, I wound up back at the OS.  Since my daughter's computer uses Win7, my husband went to check there and sure enough no poll, the same .poll section is missing when she views the page on that OS.

The only guess right now that makes sense is that the page coding is somehow not compliant with the current versions of .net framework.  As my husband, who doesn't do graphics, runs xp with .net framework 2, my daughter, who does some and has the newest OS is running .net framework 3.5 and my computer, is actually running all versions through .net framework 4.0 with all the attendant patches to accommodate the variety of graphics programs I use.

Short summary, for those of us not seeing it, the html code that puts it on the page is completely absent.

Tessalynne ( ) posted Wed, 01 September 2010 at 9:45 PM

"...Or they could be like Annie and others and not even see it."

I consider this to be the most likely culprit since the actual question is the only place that says this would be an additional option.

"So all of you who cannot see the question, are you able to answer the poll?  Would this be why there is so much negativity towards having an added file type to download, a new choice to make, that wont affect zip lovers at all because they can still have them?"

No, see AnnieD's screenshot a few posts back.  We can't see the question or participate in the poll, there isn't even anything in the page display that indicates anything is missing.  To us it looks as if the text of the article itself is the question and that the poll consists of giving our opinion on it as it is written there.

AnnieD ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 9:45 AM

I discovered last night, from reading in another thread, that if I log out of rendo and go to the poll as a "visitor"  I can see the question.  But if I'm logged in I can't see it...

What's up with that?????

[Stuart Chase]

thaaksma ( ) posted Thu, 02 September 2010 at 10:48 AM

It appears as though the problem has been addressed and fixed.  Please try visiting the page once again to cast your vote.

Thank you,
Tim Haaksma

Tessalynne ( ) posted Fri, 03 September 2010 at 12:46 AM

Thank you, it was indeed fixed on my end.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.