Fri, Oct 4, 5:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Hanging chain... help!

stevejp ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 6:45 AM · edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 12:49 PM

HELP…

I am learning Carrara at present and have come up against a problem that I’ve not been able to figure out. There is probably a very simple answer to my question:  

Using C7 pro what is the best and easiest way to get a metal chain to hang correctly between two points, i.e. fixed at both ends and hanging down in the middle?

Any help would be great as its driving me mad! Thanks 
Steve

airflamesred ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 7:26 AM

I ended up manually putting the links in place, many years ago. I don't use carrara so can't help with a method but it is a catenary shape you are after.

stevejp ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 7:41 AM

yep thats the shape... manually!  oh my... lets  hope the software has moved on since then. cheers for the reply

airflamesred ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 7:49 AM

I guess you could set a bend modifier to the shape or a spline? - thats probably the way I would approach it these (not quite as nieve) days.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 7:58 AM · edited Fri, 10 September 2010 at 7:59 AM

Hi Steve,

There is a couple of ways to do this.  The fastest is to create a straight section of chain and use the bend modifier as airflamesred suggested. 

The best way, however, is to create the straight section of chain and then rig a skeleton to it with joints at the link overlaps. You can then add an IK chain if you want for easier posing and animating. 

Mark

stevejp ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 8:21 AM

Thanks Mark and Airflamesred.
I will give it a go and let you know how i get on

cheers 
Steve

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 12:32 PM

*Quote -  Hi Steve,

There is a couple of ways to do this.  The fastest is to create a straight section of chain and use the bend modifier as airflamesred suggested. 

The best way, however, is to create the straight section of chain and then rig a skeleton to it with joints at the link overlaps. You can then add an IK chain if you want for easier posing and animating. 

Mark*

Is there a tutorial(s) on simple rigging and adding IK chains...?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 10 September 2010 at 12:38 PM

A chain is about as simple as it gets! :D Sounds like I should make one.

It's as simply as selecting the bone tool and then, in the front or side view, clicking the bones in the order of their connection. Once done, select the object and bones and then go to the pull-down menu Animation > Attach Skeleton. the last bone can be selected and designated as an IK terminator in the properties tab.

I'll see if I can put together a quick tutorial and post it. 

stevejp ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 8:56 AM

I think I've got what I wanted...a hanging chain! I rigged a skeleton to the links and added an IK chain as you said.  Simple once you know how! 

Just a couple more questions... when I bend the chain into a tight loop some of the links bend, twist and distort. On shallow curves this is not so obvious, but is there a way to stop this happening? 

Second... on another forum someone suggested using Physics to get the effect I wanted. I tried it and the links started to hang right, then they shot off all over the screen. Is this a good, bad or just another way to do it? Any advantages?

Here it is anyway, I need to tidy a few things up like making the links touch each other,  but this is what I wanted. Thanks for your help.

stevejp ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 8:58 AM

file_459135.jpg

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 9:27 AM · edited Mon, 13 September 2010 at 9:29 AM

Nicely done. Physics is much better in Carrara than it was, but there are still some issues. 

Yes, there is a way to do that - and it leads to a third method: mechanical rigging of the chain. 

On a single starter link, move the hot point (done by engaging the Cap Lock and then using the move tool - be sure to disengage the lock when done) and move the point to one end of the link and center on the metal there and change the motion constraint to Ball Joint (or the one of your choice) . Then duplicate the link, move into position and rotate 90 degrees. You can then do the Duplicate short cut and you'll have an entire straight chain built automatically. 

The last step is to create a parent child relationship to each link in the Properties tray. 

If this is totally unclear - because I haven't had my second cup of coffee today - just let me know and I'll post an example image.

Then you can pose the chain to your hearts content. The Bones method is superior for long lengths but the mechanical rig provides the most options.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 10:07 AM

file_459142.jpg

It's super fast to do so I put together an example. Click to enlarge. 

stevejp ( ) posted Tue, 14 September 2010 at 8:13 AM

Thats great, thanks.  Totally clear, maybe because I've had too much coffee today!!!

I guess this one is quick to make  but the time and skill is in the positioning of the links/chain to get the realism.  
I am finding out that, like most software, Carrara has a  lots of ways to get to the end result, but you have to know which method will work best and have a very clear idea of the end result before you start.

loads to learn but its fun!

Thanks again for a  very comprehensive answer to my simple question. I am sure I will have many more question as travel down this long road that is... learning Carrara.
Cheers
Steve

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.