Mon, Sep 23, 3:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 10:18 pm)

Subject: Will Facebook Eat Renderosity and DAZ's Lunch?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 4:19 PM

Quote - hey !!! didn't you just get married ?
you should be with your woman, preferrably in a reclining position.

How do you know I wasn't, or am not at present?  :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 4:21 PM

yikes ..you made me spit out my water. :)

that would be a good thing if you were and are :)

Quote - > Quote - hey !!! didn't you just get married ?

you should be with your woman, preferrably in a reclining position.

How do you know I wasn't, or am not at present?  :D

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

amy_aimei ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 5:22 PM

As I know some 3D sites and 3D characters have Facebook and Twitter.  It is just like a "What's new?" section.  Selling at Facebook and Twitter... Ummm.... I don't think it is a good idea.

BikerGraphicArtist ( ) posted Sun, 29 August 2010 at 5:57 PM

If you really read the facebook agreement that you have or will have to sign, you basically have no rights to your pictures, info, etc. They can resell, reuse, and abuse, any of your images, and you have NO RECOURSE.

I agree with Phil C, knowing when seven layers of friends of friends are taking a dump, is not productive, or when they are "so stressed out they cant go on" (Done in my best valley girl impersonation) is a waste of time....are you really wanting to target market these people, or artists that might really use your products. 

But the everything on facebook can be used in any manner by facebook without recourse is the absolute deal breaker for me IMHO.

mackis3D ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 2:18 AM

MatrixWorkz:

Quote -
Then you skipped over HeyDork accusing me of Advertising Spam when I had no links to my Facebook presence whatsoever and Mackis3D basically telling me to Ignore Renderosity if I didn't like it so much. That to me was an invitation to leave.

Weird idea of an invitation to leave!

MatrixWorkz:

Quote -
Well, one thing Facebook has that Rendo is still lacking is the ability to put things and people you don't wish to see on ignore, be it your best friends bowel movements or someone spamming their game play. You don't HAVE to see it.

My answer:

Quote -
If you want to ignore things at Renderosity just click it away. You don't HAVE to see it.

It was your idea to have things and people on ignore at Renderosity you don't wish to see. Not mine! I just gave you a recommendation.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Mon, 30 August 2010 at 7:29 AM

I don't know what super powers you think I have but once I've seen a post I've seen it. Clicking away doesn't erase my memory.

My Freebies

Meshbox ( ) posted Mon, 27 September 2010 at 1:55 PM

Quote - Then you skipped over HeyDork accusing me of Advertising Spam when I had no links to my Facebook presence whatsoever and Mackis3D basically telling me to Ignore Renderosity if I didn't like it so much. That to me was an invitation to leave. Almost everyone has zeroed in on the remarks I made about opening a store there but have completely ignored the actual topic that the article I linked to generated. What's the topic again? Anyone? It's not my store, really. I could care less if you don't want to buy from me personally.

What I'm asking you is, with a social network as HUGE as Facebook, how long do you think Rosity and DAZ can compete if merchants start moving en mass to places that actually give you decent privacy settings and Ignore User features and all the other things we've been asking for around here for years now?

While I have been and continue to be critical of how most brokerages work, Facebook doesnt represent that much of a challenge. DAZ and Rendo provide sites that specifically target users of products like Poser or D|S. This industry is simply too small fry for Facebook to really care to provide adaptations. Only a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction of Facebook denizens would care anyway.

There definitely is value in using Facebook for promotions - doesnt matter if they are hosted on your own site, or on rendo or daz or CP or cornucopia 3d. Likewise, I encourage people to put their promotions on Content Creator's Guild, because it is free and reasonably free of restrictions. Ive been using Facebook for some time now to help promote Meshbox products and its been valuable - but certainly not a replacement for anything else.

Best regards,

chikako
Meshbox Design | 3D Models You Want

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 9:05 AM

Quote -  I don't know what super powers you think I have but once I've seen a post I've seen it. Clicking away doesn't erase my memory.

Putting someone on ignore won't necessarily keep you from seeing what they said. Ignore only keeps YOU from seeing THEIR post. Other people will and often do quote what was said.

Plutom ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 9:40 AM

MW, I think that a lot of the folks here are missing the point.  It isn't buying anything there any more than buying anything from a newspaper, radio program, etc.  It simply is " I have a product that I'm selling, here is the video of my product and its uses, and if you are interested in more details, go to www.xyz.com,  www. renderosity.com etc".  I think you have a great idea.  Jan

Ps you have same outstanding products, thumbs up. Jan

jestmart ( ) posted Wed, 29 September 2010 at 11:13 PM

But the OP asked, "Will Facebook Eat Renderosity and DAZ's Lunch?".  And the clear answer to that appears to be, NO.  I have to say a was glad to see I am not the only person in the world who thinks that Facebook is the root of all evil.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 12:46 PM

Some bits to consider...

• Facebook is an anonymous mass of humanity, who may or may not want what you have. Others have deftly pointed out what that means, so no need to belabor the point.

• DAZ and Renderosity have spent over a decade building up their client bases. If you strike out on your own, how will you build up yours, considering that (at least in Rendo's case) they don't cotton well towards individuals advertising other sites (see also the forum rules)?

Now I'm not saying 'don't do it', but what I am saying is this: think it through.  I've been toying with the idea off and on for years, and keep coming up with the same conclusion... unless I can somehow get a core initial following, it won't really get anywhere. Just the way it is.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 02 October 2010 at 1:20 PM

when are they gonna do a movie about the creation and development of 'rosity?
they did one on the founder of facebook.  are willow, jack and tim next?
for an huge pile of cash, I would even sell 'em the script :roflao:

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 5:01 AM

Now that would be an interesting movie! Art, meltdowns, psychotic breaks, frustration, mob mentality.... oh, the drama of it all! LOL

As for buying anything there, I don't even trust EBay. The reason I buy here, is the confidence I have in Renderosity's security.  

3DLoki ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 6:46 AM

Thought I'd chime in here with my 2 cents, since it looks like the bulk of the people in this thread seemed to have totally missed the point.

First up I'd like to know HOW exactly this thread could be even thought of as 'storefront spam' when there was no link, or name of what MatrixWorkz's store or account would even be called.

Secondly, the OP said many times he was NOT looking to sell stuff ON Facebook, but instead putting a LINK (or button) on their account that would lead back to their store / cart.

Now, on to my own points..

Right now Facebook is one of the largest and most visited site on the web, it boasts millions upon millions of users from all over the world, covering all sorts of likes and dislikes,  for ANYONE who is into 3D as a money making venture (or a business if you will) it is honestly a NO-BRAINER to utilize facebook to help brand your name and or product.

Just because YOU might not like Facebook, doesn't mean your fans or customers share that same mindset.

Some mentioned FB as if it were a 'fad' IE (paraphrasing here) "Years ago it was MySpace, and now it's Facebook"  Please don't forget that one of the main reasons MySpace LOST popularity was because they gave members 'too much control' over their profiles, and now when you go to damn near any Myspace profile you'll be bombarded by seizure inducing flashing, or music that you can't turn off,  OR your browser just crashes from the script hell on the profile lol.

Facebook offers a stripped down version that is easy on the eyes, and is easy to access no matter what your age or computer know how is.

(almost done I promise lol)

My suggestionto MatrixWorkz is as follows:

Create your facebook profile for your project (or just add a PAGE to your current account) Utilize the developer tools that Facebook has (like button,  stream feeds etc) and place those codes on your website/s, blog/s etc,  Use the facebook account as a place for your 'fans' to keep up to date on your latest stuff, (It's also a good idea to tie in a Twitter account as well)

Your own website traffic will start to raise your Facebook numbers, same with your twitter account, at least 3 times a week make a post on your wall (of your page) explaining what your latest projects are.

Do this and you can harness the 'power of facebook and twitter"

And if you'd like to see some examples, or would like more help on this, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to help you out.

(last but not least.....)

To those talking about Facebook OWNING your content, that is just outright misunderstood BULL_______  Allow me to explain what it really is and why it is....

Anything you post to your own facebook (or to anyone else's account) can be displayed ANYWHERE Facebook allows their codes to be viewed,  without their legal mumbo-jumbo of "You allowing Facebook to display, transmit, redistribute, etc etc"  you could actually SUE them for a post you made on a friends wall...

Further more, without that agreement,  ANY time the news did a story on facebook, and for some reason YOUR ACCOUNT was shown on TV (or a post you made)  YOU COULD SUE THEM (and how many times have you seen Facebook on the news?)

You're NOT signing away your photos, text, etc to Facebook,  you're just giving them permission to have it AND have it used wherever Facebook operates (and not try to come after them for doing so)

The same thing is done on EVERY site on the web of this nature, YouTube, MySpace, Break.com, Even Time Magazine,  ANYWHERE that you can leave a comment or post information yourself you are agreeing for the site owners to USE YOUR CONTENT

Otherwise the second you hit "SUBMIT" or "POST" you could sue them.

-Jay-

(Never mind my post count, check my join date instead ;)  )

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 03 October 2010 at 7:55 PM

Quote - when are they gonna do a movie about the creation and development of 'rosity?
they did one on the founder of facebook.  are willow, jack and tim next?
for an huge pile of cash, I would even sell 'em the script :roflao:

Frankly Rosity, while big in the Poserverse, is a very SMALL fish when compared to online communities in general. Nobody who doesn't use Poser would have a clue who Willow, Jack or Tim were. Hell! A lot of Poser users don't have a clue who they were.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.