Fri, Oct 4, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 1:56 pm)

Subject: Daz Studio?

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 4:29 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:27 PM

Is the learning curve difficult when you come from a poser environment?

tokejr ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 5:39 AM

Well, I can't answer your question as a D|S user (first), but when I bought Poser 7, after using D|S for a couple years, they only thing I found difficult with Poser was the main interface. 

I still only use Poser for testing, but the similarities make the 2 programs very easy to use together.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 8:38 AM

So, then Daz just takes a little getting use to?  I have to give it a try.  I have tried the free version, but found myself making clumsy mistakes, maybe the paid version is better.  Sharen

tokejr ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 8:49 AM

Well, I think with anything, it's just a matter of getting use to a program.

I don't spend enough time in Poser to say I enjoy working with it, but that's because I don't take the time to learn it.  But, that's my own issue, not the software.

mishamcm ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 9:37 AM

The interface on the paid version is the same as the free one, but as tokejr said, it's just a matter of getting used to the interface.  Some people just find one interface more natural for them, some just can't get used to one interface, but for most people once you get the hang of it, you're fine.  Making clumsy miatakes is, IMHO, the best way to learn how to use it!

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 12:33 PM

Quote - So, then Daz just takes a little getting use to?  I have to give it a try.  I have tried the free version, but found myself making clumsy mistakes, maybe the paid version is better.  Sharen

I'm sure that whatever questions you have or whatever help you need you won't find a better or more helpful bunch of ppl to ask than studio users. 

Just ask and if someone here knows the answer it won't be long before you get the hang of it.

And remember...NO question is too dumb or silly....

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

DreamerZ_Loft ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 1:34 PM

As a long time Poser user trying to make shaders for DS I can tell you that the learning curve isnt' too steep.  It does take some getting used to, and there are things that are somewhat easier in DS.  You can't replicate the exact look of some shaders, but you can get pretty close with a bit of work.

But, and it's a big but.....you have to be able to deal with the various updates breaking things that worked in previous versions, new bugs introduced with each beta.  This is the thing that killed my using DS previously, and may send me to the nut house yet. LOL!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 3:34 PM

Thank you for the input, I will be playing with it tomorrow.  Sharen

Avros ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 6:57 PM · edited Sat, 23 October 2010 at 6:57 PM

Hi, everyone, just my two cents worth. Not a lot but is still worth noting.

D/S needs some tweaking with textures , lighting and clothing more so than Poser. You will come across this often, but then it adds to the enjoyment when you have mastered that task. For many others out there it is not that much difference between them. The Props still load into both, though you will find some Materials and Shaders will react differently. There are plenty of useful tips around on how to get around these.

TheHalfdragon ( ) posted Sat, 23 October 2010 at 9:19 PM

the main area daz needs tweaking with textures is in the bumps and displacements they look a little ( ok alot) flat when coming from poser to daz. for eas of use it takes a cpl months to figure out where and how all the parts you use most are and how they work i do everything of my rendering and content creation in daz so far.  not that i have alot done up but hey not too many complaints about what i do have.

josterD ( ) posted Sun, 24 October 2010 at 9:36 AM

DAZ studio is awesome.

Bejaymac ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2010 at 11:03 AM

It all depends on the person doing the learning, if your adept at setting up your own scenes, mixing & matching, doing your own lights & cameras, as well as making your own surface settings, then the curve is quite shallow and you just need to get used to how DS does things.
However if your one of those that rely exclusively on the content the venders setup for you and just load, pose & render, then the curve is near vertical, as you will have to learn to walk all over again.

Why!, because DS isn't a Poser clone, and as such many of the things Poser users take for granted are either useless, or need a lot of adjusting to get them to look right in DS.
Poser cameras & lights are a waste of harddrive space to a DS user, as are Poser Dynamic cloth & Hair.
The Material Room nodes are copyright Poser so DAZ can't replicate them in DS, and because of this the material folder and the .mt5 & .mc6 files are completely ignored by DS, as is the shader tree in any .pz2/.cr2/.hr2/.pp2, which doesn't leave DS with much it can use, and even that needs adjusted quite a bit.
Don't expect the DS presets some venders supply to help you out, most of them are made by Poser users who are clueless and have no idea how to setup a surface in DS, most of them end up in the same place as the lt2 & cm2 files, the trash can.

tokejr ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2010 at 11:08 AM

Quote - Don't expect the DS presets some venders supply to help you out, most of them are made by Poser users who are clueless and have no idea how to setup a surface in DS, most of them end up in the same place as the lt2 & cm2 files, the trash can.

And some are made by vendors who use DazStudio primarily.  Ahhhhem!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.