Sun, Sep 22, 10:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Help with missing obj's!!!

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2001 at 5:03 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

Hi all, can anyone tell me why sometimes and only sometimes, when i make a conforming article of clothing that all works fine in the Pro pack, but with the .obj in the correct place, Poser 4.03 tells me it can't load it and gives me the "Out of memory" message. I know the memory message is irevalant, the obj is the exact same file, same name in the same place in the Geometries folder. This happens about one in five items. thanks in advance... Colm...

Literata ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2001 at 9:12 PM

Whenever I've seen this problem, it's been because the path to the .obj file (as specified in the .cr2 file) for an object is incorrect. Why you would see it work with the Pro Pack, and not Poser 4.03, I don't know; I'd think you would see the problem in both cases, unless PPP parses filenames differently. Bottom line is, look at the appropriate .cr2 file. Hope this helps!

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2001 at 9:25 PM

As i stated in the above. The obj is in the correct location. The location that is specified in the cr2 and the same location that the error reads.

chromecafe ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2001 at 6:07 AM

Also I can add that if you have a geomitry swap it wont swap to the new geomitry , but the lines leading to the object file are correct

ScottA ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2001 at 6:10 AM

Hi Colm, I've been whatching your struggle with this problem. And I haven't jumped in because I don't have any idea why this is happening. I was kind of hoping someone else knew the answer. But it looks like it's a tough one. At this point. All I can say is if you can zip up and e-mail me one of those clothing items (.obj&.cr2) that gives you that problem with 4.03. I'll see if I can find out what's going on. The things I do when trouble shooting are: 1.) re-make the phi file and convert the mesh to conformer again to see if it does the same thing. 2.) take the clothing apart. Part by part and create a new conforming garment minus each piece to see if there is a certain body part that is giving Poser 4.03 problems. Yes...It's time consuming ;-) One other thing. I'm not a big fan of using existing .cr2's on new clothing items. I know it's easier for some people to do that. But there are a lot of lines in cr2's dedicated specifically to it's original .obj and texture files. And It's very, very easy to leave in information that can conflict with your new item. Creating .cr2's from scratch is the only method I recommend. ScottA scottasba@aol.com

ScottA ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2001 at 6:14 AM

One other thing....There very well could be a backward compatability issue going on here. And nothing we do can fix it. But it's odd that not many people are complaining about it. JKeller found a bug with the PPP that nobody else seemed to see. And it was a big one. The Spherical JP's on one side of the figures wouldn't show up! Yet nobody complained or saw it for a long time. ScottA

chromecafe ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2001 at 7:27 AM

Funnt the mapping doesnt make any difference in ppp though strange that?

chromecafe ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2001 at 7:28 AM

Allright what about the alternate geomitry problem? hehe

Colm_Jackson ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2001 at 7:36 AM

Thanks scott, thanks Chrome...:)

shogun ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2001 at 8:16 AM

I had this same problem....Looked at the path in the CR2s, and it matched, including case. It was driving me nuts. Just for grins, I moved the .obj to a core folder (installed with poser) and renamed it to 8 characters, updated the cr2, and it worked. It seems to be a path issue, but it's odd as some will work while others wont.

Dave Wight ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2001 at 3:54 PM

It may not be your problem, but I've found (I think...) that the Mac requires the initial colon (:runtime:geometries:...), whereas the PC doesn't.

JKeller ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2001 at 5:59 PM

Is this possibly related to the geometry .rsr file? Colm, has it created an .rsr for the .obj when you first tried loading it, and if so have you tried deleting the .rsr? I've been making a few custom conforming figures lately that I've tested extensively in P4 and PP and haven't run across this bug. Hope this helps. Oh and FYI, Scott, when I reported the Spherical fall-off zone bug to CL it turned out they already knew about it and were testing the fix for it in SR2 at that time. That bug was introduced with SR1 and fixed with SR2.

chromecafe ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2001 at 6:07 PM

JKeller jut fyi it wasnt getting as far as creating an rsr file so that wasnt the cause ,by process of elemination I found the fault that was effecting colm and I was something to do with the mapping as after I remapped the effcted objects the effect whent away strange?? the objects where allready mapped and worked fine in ppp so bit of a ponderer that also it only effected about 15% of the objects even stranger :-)

JKeller ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2001 at 6:27 PM

Hmmm... very strange. In that case it seems that in the initial mapping, something was created that P4 didn't like but PP had no problem with. Was UVMapper used for the initial mapping or another program?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.