Tue, Oct 22, 6:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Roll up.. roll up.. all the fun of the fair..

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:02 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:24 PM

file_460589.jpg

Thought I share something different for a change, Sloe Fair. This one is purely for fun not work.

Dating back to the 12th century this fair is held every year. Like many English fairs, it comes with certain tradtions. Mainly it must be held every year or the right to hold it is lost. So in WW2 a couple of men stuck up a tent!

The other tradition is that local teenagers get drunk and hit each other :) This means loads of policeman which in turn means it's a relativity safe place to take photos.

Also you do have to be mindful that some fairground folk don't like cameras very much, so it's worth asking before taking shots. Rides they don't mind, people shots less so.

While most where shot on a tripod with bulb mode, there is a slight tadge of blur on some. Thats because I rather stupidly lost my release cable on another job and had to press the button, which I find often is enough to kock things out a bit :(

Plus on some the tripod wasn't fully extended due to the crowds. While the kit and myself are insured, full public liablity, and I have people with me to 'block' me for safety. I figure better safe than sorry. Especially as teenage girls like jumping in front of cameras as well, so patience is a big virtue :)   

So first up is a ride with a long arm and 2 seats at each end.
F5. ISO 100 (Auto). 12 sec exposure. 

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:03 PM

file_460590.jpg

Playing around with the zoom while on bulb mode. F5.5. ISO 100 (Auto). 3 sec exp. Rubbish image, but fun to play with!

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:03 PM · edited Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:04 PM

file_460591.jpg

The arm ride again. F5.6 16 sec exp. ISO 100 (Auto).

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:04 PM

file_460592.jpg

Under the arm of the ride F5.6. ISO 100 (Auto). 6 sec exposure. Good example of being aware of your surroundings here. Or more precisely the danger from above :)

AKA a passenger with a poorly tummy, forcing a rather quick retreat backwards! 

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:05 PM

file_460593.jpg

Full mannual control. F6.3. 1/8 exp. ISO 800. 

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:06 PM

file_460594.jpg

Full mannual control. F22. 1 sec exp. ISO 800.  Just above the the O on the image is the exhaust pipe for the ride hence the wierd smokey effect.  

file_460595.jpg

My GF's sister :) Full auto with onboard flash. F5.6. 1/80 exp. ISO 400.

file_460596.jpg

Finally a totally random freaky halloweeeny one! Actual size and can you see what we can ?

myshelle ( ) posted Wed, 20 October 2010 at 7:29 PM

Freaky halloweeny for sure you have picked up a spirit  there. Thankyou for showing such awesome pictures of something I will never get to see.
That picture make me think I would be looking for a missing person  in or near that spot

whaleman ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 1:28 AM

Cool shots - very interesting!

kgb224 ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 4:19 AM

Stunning series of capture.
Thank you for sharing them.

helanker ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 5:25 AM

WOW I love the shots and you really did well and thanks for the info of the ISO. I have always troubles remembering what is good for what :-)

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone.

Freaky halloweeny for sure you have picked up a spirit there.
Not that mysterious :) It was someone walking along while talking on a mobile phone!
If you've not seen this effect before it happens because the subjects are moving during a longish exposure time. 

Thankyou for showing such awesome pictures of something I will never get to see.

Thanks. Though you could get shots like this. All you need is a simple camera setting, a basic tripod, some torches and (or other lights) the help of a friend. A cable release will help if you can get one for your camera.

Stick camera on tripod, and on the cameras menu select bulb (it might be called something else) but the idea is to find a setting that leaves the shutter open for as long as possible. Prefably something you can mannually countrol. On some cameras it's a scene mode.    

Light the scene with one torch so you can get a focus. Then get your mate to wave the other lighg around and turn off your your torch. Now hit the shutter button, after a while release it. You'll have to play around with different times and changing the ISO.    

WOW I love the shots and you really did well and thanks for the info of the ISO. I have always troubles remembering what is good for what :-)

I'm the same with F numbers and shutter speeds :) I set one but not the other!
ISO is quite easy if you remember that it's low numbers for sunny stuff and big numbers for dark stuff.

myshelle ( ) posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 3:35 PM

"*Freaky halloweeny for sure you have picked up a spirit there.

• Not that mysterious :) It was someone walking along while talking on a mobile phone!
    If you've not seen this effect before it happens because the subjects are moving during a longish exposure time. "

I am laughing at me just goes to show though how one could be taken in by many who say they have photographed ghosts LOL.
Thankyou so much for your tips
Cheers

thoughtisawapussycat ( ) posted Fri, 19 November 2010 at 11:20 AM

nice work...

i like the moving light concept, its one of my favorites. well gives the feeling of being in the air...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.