Wed, Sep 18, 1:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Long Posable Braid

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 2:23 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 12:01 PM
Forum Moderator

I'm not sure how many would get any use out of this, as it takes a while to pose (over 200 bones) But anywho, I can't make hair, but I made a braid (as best I could come up with in a day anyways) I can also made shorter length variants. But, my problem is still that I can't make the rest of the hair. So I don't know how they could be useful otherwise.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 3:48 AM · edited Thu, 23 December 2010 at 3:48 AM

There are ponytail models out there where the tail part can be made invisible, and this would be a good partner provided the hair colour could be matched well enough. You could add a little tie to disguise the joint.

For myself, I'd prefer something a little less Rapunzel-ish. :-) By which I mean shorter... Although now I think on it, the long version has possibilities too.

What I'm trying to say is, I'd like this. :-D

saibabameuk ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 4:15 AM

file_463214.jpg

Hi Rooster

Got a little something to show you. The animation is coming along well up to about 8min now. I like the hair is it flexible, could it be made into a turban shape?

Thanks for the robe.

Rance01 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 6:42 AM

Thing looks pretty great to me.  I like braids though ...

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 7:17 AM

make a good rope.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 10:18 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote - For myself, I'd prefer something a little less Rapunzel-ish. :-) By which I mean shorter... Although now I think on it, the long version has possibilities too.

I was going to make 4 or so length variants, this being the longest, and shortest being just over shoulder length.

Quote - Hi Rooster

Got a little something to show you. The animation is coming along well up to about 8min now. I like the hair is it flexible, could it be made into a turban shape?

Thanks for the robe.

You're quite welcome, I can't wait to see the final result. BTW, I am sorry I forgot to upload that safari Pith helmet, I'll try to get around to that today.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 10:27 AM

Nice job, that's pretty neat.  I like braids but (like you) I still haven't taken the time to learn to properly texture hair.

For this kind of thing, a long chain of bones intended to be posed smoothly together, it adds a lot for the user if you take the time to build some ERC controls so that the user can do a lot of posing with a few dials.  It's pretty easy to do this in Poser File Editor (select body part -> right click -> Create Value Control).  Probably a good idea to add IK to it as well although that's not so useful for very long chains of bones.

My Freebies

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 11:00 AM
Forum Moderator

If I was just gonna use it for personal use, I'd grow some hair on V4 and pull it all toward the hair tie in the back and be done with it. But with the different lengths, and I was going to make pig-tail versions as well,  thought the community might be able to get some use out of it. Chances are it's going in my freebies, so I don't really want to ask a hair maker for assistance. I just want to be able to make it usable for others.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 11:25 AM

I could try my hand at making a head for it... what sort of hair in front do you want? (i.e. bangs, no bangs, poufy, slicked back...)

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 11:28 AM
Forum Moderator

Well I'm not picky, I just need a hairstyle that would look good with a braided ponytail, It has a scruncii-like hair tie in the back, so that should hide any flaws that could show up where it all meets together. Also, a hairstyle parted in the center for pig-tails would be awesome if you could do that too :o)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 11:35 AM

Why don't you make a stab at texturing a hair skullcap?  It's about the simplest form of any hairstyle, I'm sure you could handle the geometry part of things.  Hair models are always popular when they're done well so it'd be a pretty useful skill to learn.

My Freebies

Barwickian ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 11:45 AM

I really like this model. It's the kind of thing 3D was invented for, IMO - something that can't exist in reality, but does in the imagination. Props to you for making it.

With 200 bones, a few handy pose files would make it much easier to use. Another thing that might help is bend/swing/twist aft dials, which I've seen on some rope or whip models. However I have no idea how they're made...

And I second pzj's suggestion of a skullcap. Failing, that, I'm sure it won't be long before one of our resident hair experts comes up with a hair model to match.

Andy Staples
The Penultimate HârnPage -- www.penultimateharn.com

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 11:45 AM
Forum Moderator

Yeah the modeling part isn't a problem, it's the hair texture itself. I guess I'll try my hand at it though, seeing as it's one of the few areas I haven't messed around with and it's only natural I move on to learn that aspect as well. I'm trying to be able to get to the point where I can make anything I want. So in the past 8-9 months I've crammed modeling, uv mapping, texturing, rigging, the cloth room, and learning the material room all into my noggin, so what's one more thing, right? lol

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 11:53 AM

Could you post a picture of where the ponytail joins her hair in the back? That will be helpful for making a texture that lines up with the ponytail.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 12:03 PM · edited Thu, 23 December 2010 at 12:04 PM
Forum Moderator

It's pretty much dead center back there, but don't trust my judgement on where it should go, I can always move it to match your texture.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 2:22 PM
Forum Moderator

Well, according to Geep's 9 ft scale, this braid measures 14 ft even. I thought is was closer to 15, but oh well, it's plenty long. Rapunzel's hair was what, 40 ft (not braided), so that would probably be about a 30 ft braid? That was my initial idea, to make one "her" length, and then smaller ones after for more possibilities. So, if I make one about 30 ft long, then I would most likely end up with 5-10 length variations to go with it. Starting to sound a bit like work to me, but I think the end results will be worth it to the community (ones that can use it that is)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 4:43 PM

I'm hoping to have the single-braid head finished by tonight... I'll PM you a download link when I get it finished. I can do pigtails too, but they'll take a little longer 😄 If you want to send me a download link for the braid files, I can make some materials for it to match the head (assuming that it is UV mapped).

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 5:07 PM
Forum Moderator

I am working on the uv mapping as we speak, and at 1st was giving me a world of problems, but I think I got them worked out. As soon as I think they're ready, I'll pm you a download link. I think I am going to have each of the 3 strands a different MAT zones, so you can weave separate colors together.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 5:43 PM

It occurs to me that especially for the long braid, you probably should tile the UV so that a single chunk of bitmap can be repeated across it as many times as needed, if you do a straight 1:1 UVmap it will be a huge pain.  I don't think anyone's going to compare e.g. bone5 to bone 127 and notice that the texture is the same.

My Freebies

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 2010 at 7:16 PM
Forum Moderator

I've been tinkering with seamless hair textures, as I thought about that too. I still think it should at least be 1024 though, so it's not too noticibly repetitive.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2010 at 11:40 AM

I'm still working on that head... I had trouble with the UV mapping, too, but I finally got that worked out. Hopefully I will have the textures finished today and I'll PM you a download link!

I think that for the braid, you can get the textures a lot smaller than 1024 without it looking repetitive, assuming that the seams work out okay. A long column of hair like that, if you think about it, really looks pretty much the same all the way down. All the twists and turns mean that you can have even more repetition and no one will notice.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2010 at 11:58 AM
Forum Moderator

I think I got th mapping pretty well sorted out, and I will be able to send you a rigged version of the 14 ft braid. Once we get it all textured, i'll send you the other lengths so you'll have the complete set.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Coleman ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2010 at 5:51 PM

Looks great BionicRooster

SickenlySweete ( ) posted Fri, 24 December 2010 at 8:40 PM

i would love to have one ....i got pics of what i want.........if you model it i can do the textures and easypose it after you get the bones in..........PM me here at rosity!!

www.bloodyrosesdesigns.com

http://www.aldaraproject.com/aldara/

http://www.dreamslayervisions.com

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2010 at 2:59 AM

file_463262.png

Rooster it looks grest is there any way  could convert for a rope? I need some rope for my Oxen .

Cheers

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2010 at 9:45 AM · edited Sat, 25 December 2010 at 9:45 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote - i would love to have one ....i got pics of what i want.........if you model it i can do the textures and easypose it after you get the bones in..........PM me here at rosity!!

You just might be getting a pm from me when I get it done ;o)

Quote - Rooster it looks grest is there any way  could convert for a rope? I need some rope for my Oxen .

Actually, how about I just make a rope. Same principle, just not braided. I already have a rope tex, bump, and normal map, just need to model the rope and rig it. So I will do one here in my spare time and upload it in a day or so.

Happy Holidays everybody!

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2010 at 11:15 AM

If you generally position the polys and arrange the polygon groups the same as your braid model you don't have to redo the whole rig by hand, you can use the braid rig as a "donor" rig.  Just import the OBJ and in the Setup room, load the CR2 for the braid, and it will load the bones in exactly the same place.  Incidentally this is how you do most of the rigging for conforming clothes, with a donor rig.

My Freebies

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sat, 25 December 2010 at 12:16 PM
Forum Moderator

Yeah I've done that with a few things already. only thing is I'd have to adjust the very end bones, as the "tip" of the hair has some small ones to make that ball of hair posable, which is no biggie. And the rope itself would just be a cut up cylinder, so it won't be hard to whip up in under 30 minutes for everything.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

saibabameuk ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 4:27 AM

Rooster your going to be a very popular 3D Artist, sorry you are a very ect.

Thank you.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 4:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Well, here's a progress report on the braid. Cyberwoman sent me the skullcap and texture for it, I made a matching texture for the braid, attached, rigged, and made it able to conform to V4's head instead of having to parent it. So here's the 2ft pony tail. Only 13 more to rig (pony tails and pigtail versions) lol

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 4:47 PM

Nice job, that's pretty cute :)

My Freebies

Rance01 ( ) posted Sun, 26 December 2010 at 5:33 PM

The thing looks great (model is nice too;)

-R

estherau ( ) posted Mon, 27 December 2010 at 6:49 AM

that is really good!

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

BionicRooster ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2010 at 3:00 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Rooster it looks grest is there any way  could convert for a rope? I need some rope for my Oxen .

Cheers

Well, here's what it looks like, I just have to rig it real fast and upload it. Making a 10ft and a 20ft version.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2010 at 5:13 PM

Here's a preview of the redhead version:

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2010 at 5:22 PM

cool!

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 28 December 2010 at 6:35 PM

Nice job, that's coming out really well :)

My Freebies

saibabameuk ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 5:38 AM

Quote - > Quote - Rooster it looks grest is there any way  could convert for a rope? I need some rope for my Oxen .

Cheers

Well, here's what it looks like, I just have to rig it real fast and upload it. Making a 10ft and a 20ft version.

First Class Rooster

That should hold the Oxen! Ready when you are. Thank you

saibabameuk ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 5:39 AM

Quote - Here's a preview of the redhead version:

That realy good CW

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 4:17 PM · edited Wed, 29 December 2010 at 4:21 PM
Forum Moderator

Ok, I liked the red hair so much I had to make a matching one to play with. I also got to thinking, if Stephanie 4 is just a scaled down version of V4, will this conform to her as well? I tested it and YES! Loaded both, conformed hair to Steph, and it went perfectly on hre head. I was so happy I made a picture :o)

Since Stephanie is still rather new to the scene, she's a little more modest than Vickie.. lol

Light by ForbiddenWhispers

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 6:38 PM

If you rigged it starting with the "V4 Dev" donor rig, then you'd need to adjust the scaling parameters for the first bone past the Head.  If you rigged it from scratch, I'm fairly sure that if you don't have a bone structure of "hip -> abdomen -> chest -> neck -> head" that exactly matches V4 then it won't scale correctly.

My Freebies

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 7:39 PM
Forum Moderator

The only bone that's the same is the Head bone, the rest is rigged from that. The pic above is straight conformed to Stephanie 4, no scaling. Where's the issue supposed to be? It looked good to me from all angles.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 8:55 PM

How do you have it "stuck to" the head, conform? or set figure parent?

My Freebies

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 9:04 PM
Forum Moderator

Conform

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 29 December 2010 at 11:30 PM

Hmm then how did you adjust the V4 character's scale?  Via the Stephanie 4 "Proportions" dials, or did you scale the figure?  The thing to check is whether your rig works with the Proportions dials, if it does work then you're done :)

My Freebies

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 12:12 AM
Forum Moderator

I didn't adjust the V4 scale, I just loaded the Stephanie 4 model. All it is, is a scaled down V4 as it is. Uses same textures and all.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 1:48 AM

What I'm asking is, when you dial the Morphforms or S4 Proportions up and down, does the hair figure stay on the head correctly? when you dial HeadSize, when you dial Petite etc?  If so, congratulations you're done :)

My Freebies

BionicRooster ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 1:16 PM
Forum Moderator

Just messing around here, trying out some multi-colored options. 1st attempt, seeing how the colors lay.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 6:36 PM

Compliments. It really is quite nice.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 3:35 PM

Playing around with it and coiled a braid into a bun.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2011 at 4:29 PM
Forum Moderator

Save that pose!

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.