Mon, Sep 23, 5:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 8:55 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Which 3d program is your favourite one to model clothes with?

sorayashams ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 1:58 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 5:22 AM

Hi everyone,

I am just learning-by-doing to design clothes for poser in the future, but I am not sure

yet which program would be the best for. So I thought, hey, ask the community about

their opinions, which program do they prefer and why.

Thanks a lot, Soraya

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 2:01 AM

Truespace.
Used it for years
Now free from http://www.caligari.com

sorayashams ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 2:23 AM

Hi Phil, thanks for your reply. What do you think are the advantages of Truespace?

I am using Hexagon at the moment, the handling is easy, and the first steps of creating meshes

are also done fix. But I have problems with making details with Hexagon, wrinkles with the

displacement tool are looking really odd and not naturally.

I tried out ZBrush (a demo version of it), because saw a video of making wrinkles and that was

looking awesome. But after trying out ZBrush, oh my god, the handling is horrible.

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 2:56 AM

For me the advantages of Truespace is that I am familiar with it, and that did not happen overnight I can tell you :)

Providing that an application has the required functionality it is probably best to practice and get proficient with it rather hoping another program will be easier.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 3:35 AM

Hexagon 1.21 is my all-purpose modeler.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

airflamesred ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 5:09 AM

Exactly what Phil sais. If you use hexagon then stick with it.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 5:36 AM

Yep... agreeing with the consensus. I model in Blender3D, and about the best thing I can say for it is that I'm now comfortable with some aspects of it enough to be productive. If you already model in Hex, why would you want to change? For the sake of change?Not worth it.

Or for some feature in XYZ missing in ABC? You'll always find that.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

BlackHarmo ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 6:26 AM

Wings3D + 3D-Coat if I need to add more wrinkles and nurnies.

heddheld ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 7:12 AM

Hexagon is the easist to use (an I used a few over the years)

do find its displacement brush needs a fairly high polycount

dont forget you can add wrinkles in poser using a displacement map

-Jordi- ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 8:48 AM

Quote - Hi Phil, thanks for your reply. What do you think are the advantages of Truespace?

I am using Hexagon at the moment, the handling is easy, and the first steps of creating meshes

are also done fix. But I have problems with making details with Hexagon, wrinkles with the

displacement tool are looking really odd and not naturally.

I tried out ZBrush (a demo version of it), because saw a video of making wrinkles and that was

looking awesome. But after trying out ZBrush, oh my god, the handling is horrible.

The brush is a disaster and creates lots of nonplanar geometry. Try the tweak tool with soft selection (mandatory) and experiment with the parameters, so when you pull a point or face it moves the others slightly. Go with care.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 9:14 AM

3D Coat is perfect for creating a base mesh, then whatever modeling program you are fluent with will work. 😄

Comitted to excellence through art.

sorayashams ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 1:55 AM

Thanks a lot to all of you for your help. After trying out several things for little details

on the basic mesh I have found a way which is working best for me: The basic meshes

will be made with Hexagon and the wrinkels and little details I will make with

Zbrush. The results are much more better in Zbrush as in Hexagon.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Fri, 21 January 2011 at 10:52 AM · edited Fri, 21 January 2011 at 10:53 AM
Forum Moderator

It is just a matter of opinion and what you are comfortable with. I myself learned Wings after my brain about had a meltdown over trying to get into Blender.

Wings' UI is very straight forward and easy to learn, and it's UV mapping tools is pretty decent as well.

As far as texturing goes, I have used Adobe Photoshop CS2 for many years, so that's been my go-to program. I've recently been trying to get the hang of CS5, because you can import OBJ's and paint directly on the model, like in 3D Coat, but for some reason I still keep finding myself opening up CS2. I guess painting on models isn't quite as easy as it sounds, it does take some getting used to IMHO.

I recommend starting off with making some dynamic clothes at first, that way, you won't have to model so many creases(or rig the item). The cloth simulation will add most for you, then you can add a few here and there using displacement maps, for added detail.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.