Wed, Sep 18, 11:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: scultris, a neat 3d sculpt tool

zorzim ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 6:46 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 11:47 AM

Hi everybody... just found on the net something I'd like to share

totally free of course, a little program (you don't have even need to install onto windows)

SCULPT IN 3d.... and export  in .obj also !!!

Check it out everybody, its a freebie from Pixologic, the creator is moving from Sweden to USA to work within the major brother ZBrush... then I suppose the free gift wil be no longer there....

And the URL IS...

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=90617

zorzim ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 6:54 AM

Just to add some info in it, very useful link about scuptris:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

forget my misspell on the forum title please... (scultris iinstead of sculptris) ...

peedy ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 8:51 AM

Thanks for the heads up!
I have the program, but no time to try it out.
So the second link will be of great help to me. :-)

Corrie

Quest ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 10:25 AM · edited Sun, 16 January 2011 at 10:25 AM

It's a great little program...I"ve used it for some time but I wonder what ZBrush intends to do with it.

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 12:48 PM

Sculptris is a great little program.. I used it to make my avatar and other object,,,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 10:20 PM

oh..I was noticing some of the thread entries are dated 2005...;) Also noticed the word 'try'...as in 'demo program'? will this self-destruct in 30 days or something?

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

peedy ( ) posted Sun, 16 January 2011 at 11:49 PM

As far as I understand,  this one is the full version.
It was v. 1.02 and they renamed it.'

Corrie

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 12:03 AM

file_464139.jpg

Yes, I've had it since it came out and it's still kicking on my machine. Here's some rough models I've toyed with using it.

peedy ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 12:08 AM

WOW, fantastic!
I really have to find the time to play with it, too!

Corrie

zorzim ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 1:14 PM

To tell you my impression ,I have to dig it out yet, only toyed with it a bit and seen others job , this is by all means a selfcontained "little zbrush" .. very powerful, with bump mapping, color mapping, and everything is exportable (obj plus bitmaps generated into it...)

This is his site:

No wonder they wanted the swedish boy for themselves.

http://www.sculptris.com

I am sure that when he become a part of the Pixologic family, the Sculptris project will flow into ZB and disappear...

To pakled:

No, its not a shareware, it works endlessly. If you want do a donation to the author, you could by all means do so... or not, your choice. That guy has made his smart move anyway...

To Corrie:

The default sphere to be modelled is deceiving. You can IMPORT whatever .obj into it, and play with the geometry as it is putty...  have a try with it create some object , then throw what you created into Bryce....

peedy ( ) posted Mon, 17 January 2011 at 1:18 PM

Oh wow, that is way cool!
I am watching some video's to see what can be done.
And how to do it. :-)
Looks very cool!

I hope it won't disappear.
There aren't many good FREE aps around.

Corrie

Sarissi ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2011 at 8:49 PM

I just downloaded it. Thank you for posting this!

Azraelll ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 6:24 AM

file_464457.jpg

I grabbed it a while back. I tried it out sunday afternoon.

An Alien from the alien comics and movies. Still needs hands and feet obviously and then some finer body detail and some textures before itll be complete.

I made each body part from a sphere so i could bring it into Bryce and group/pose it...but i guess it can be posed up in Sculptris and then brought into Bryce.

I have Amorphium and this is alot like it...bit more refined though.

peedy ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 8:19 AM

Fantastic!!!

Corrie

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 1:19 PM

A lot of patience and work to do this in sculptris..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zorzim ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 2:02 PM

file_464462.jpg

This was made mainly to test sculptris capability to be imported with proper color AND bump maps into other packages...

Sadly I had my Bryce installed PC on repair, so I used Lightwave3d instead  to do the final test

I just had to smooth the mesh in UVMapper

There are 2 modules into it, one for sculpt, one for paint. Once one has finished modeling/sculpting, you go for the paint module, then Sculptris builds UV mapping of your job, then you can paint whatever texture , color for surface, B/w images for the bump details.

Amazing.

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 2:20 PM

file_464463.jpg

Here is my little hatching egg I made when I got Sculptris....

MatCreator ( ) posted Sat, 05 February 2011 at 12:15 PM

I'm a 3d Coat user, and can tell you it will be a scary day when ZBrush embeds voxel sculpting into it's toolset.

All that "awesome" stuff you see at the ZBrush site is FULL of polys you wouldnt even want to think about, voxel sculpting totally bypasses that, runs faster and smoother and gives you a lot more freedom, you'd be surprised just how limiting polys can be...

Grab it while it's free, it wont be for long... You don't import a guy and incorporate his site into yours unless you have plan$ =P

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2011 at 11:33 AM · edited Sun, 06 February 2011 at 11:35 AM

Igot the software as a trial and limitations... played with it for half hour..  it is now retailing for $90.00..  I looked at the tutorial and at the galleries, this program has a lot of potential.....   Voxel sculpting seems to be the future...  But at the end of the day..  the model has to be turn into polygons in order to use it with other appications... 

I could not find a way to import an object file into it.. It might be part of the trial's limitations..

Like I said, I only played with it a very short time...  It has a much steeper learning curve then Sculptris..  But then Sculptris is not Voxel sculpt...

Thanks for the link..

MatCreator ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2011 at 1:39 PM

3D Coat is $349.oo =/ I could not find a $90 version, even the academic version is $99...

Turning the model into polys isn't that painful a process... I will admit, I do NOT have all the skills to do a perfect and flawless retop of what I make in the voxel room. There are limitations and restrictions you need to be aware of. Simple things, like a "box", don't even try w/ voxels. Thin surfaces and hard edges... Not that you -can't-, but retopping is not an easy process depending on your vox model...

Fugazi1968 retops like yoda =P

But for me, I like the gooey organic stuff, not many problems there =)

I "tried" sculptris, made an alein head, and haven't used it since, but I will say that as far as modeling, I took to the 3D Coat toolset faster than Sculptris.

And 3D Coat does soooooooooo much more.....

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

MatCreator ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2011 at 1:47 PM

file_464988.jpg

This is my 1st model in sculptris... Took about 10 minutes. I havent opened it since, I'm terrible!

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 06 February 2011 at 10:34 PM

Sorry my mistake....  it is $349.00....   You did'nt do that bad in Sculptris...

zorzim ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2011 at 6:31 AM

file_465018.jpg

Maybe it was a mistake to put this topic into the Bryce forum, I do not know... the point with sculptris is that is freeware in the true sense, and when you have done your stuff, its possible to export the geometry and every texture created within it into Bryce as .obj - and even if goes polygonal has a lot of options, has two modes, modeling and painting, when you have done with the geometry.. BTW, it has a couple of reducing polygon count tools too, one that works like a brush, the other on the entire selection WITHOUT destroying the details.

In a previous post I stated that you can import every .obj into it... not so... it must be a UV free mesh (sculptris calculates the UV map for your object when you dig into paint mode - if you put say a V4 mesh into it it won't go into modeling mode but straight into paint mode... PLUs the .obj has to be free of non-manifold faces ..  I purge the mesh from it with a free tool, meshlab.

MatCreator, with your post you just confirmed how good the stuff is..  when 3dcoat will come out with a "sample edition" for free I'll be glad to take a look  at it....

Here's my bit of salt on it (image)

MatCreator ( ) posted Mon, 07 February 2011 at 7:24 AM

It was an AWESOME idea giving Brycers a heads up about a free modeling tool =)

For the most part, Brycers are the hobbyists, and an investment into something like 3D Coat should not be expected, I know... I guess I get a bit excited over 3D Coat, it's just too awesome to not mention, and when compared to ZBrush, has many of the same features for a lower price... When I wasn't able to afford ZBrush, 3D Coat was there.

As a merchant/pa, I can say w/ confidence, I was able to make back what I spent 10 fold (and then some). The ease of use, speed of output, and quality of what was made is well worth the investment...

Geeting back to Sculptris, I admit, I am prolly missing out on some easy modeling =P I strongly suggest everyone grab it before it is incorporated into ZBrush and will no longer be free. Sculptris is a "Must Have" tool, right up there w/ UVMapper and Ivy Generator...

I didn't know it could paint, that's pretty awesome. And good modeling zorzim =D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.