Sun, Oct 6, 1:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Dr. Geep - remember when?

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 6:08 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 1:32 PM

Hey doc,

Remember way back in the "Build A Simple Room" thread where I had mentioned something about a multi-bay garage like you'd find at a NASCAR track?

Well, look below....

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 6:11 AM

file_465463.jpg

Here's one I just did using your magic box. Didn't count them so right ow I have no idea how anyh I used. I did cheat a bit but not making the Ice Box, security lights, and the smaller doors but the rest of it is all done with magic boxes.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:18 AM · edited Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:19 AM

HOLY TUNEUP BAYS Batman ...

That's nothing short of IMPRESSIVE !!! :thumbupboth:

Thanks for sharing the "magic" Stan.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

P.S. I hope you're keeping well. :=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:36 AM · edited Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:38 AM

file_465467.jpg

> Quote - ***HOLY TUNEUP BAYS*** Batman ... > > **That's nothing short of *IMPRESSIVE* !!!** :thumbupboth: > > Thanks for sharing the *"magic"* Stan. > > cheers, > dr geep > ;=] > > P.S. I hope you're keeping well. :=]

Thanks Doc. Had alot of fun doing this. It's modeled after the garage at Lowe's Motor Speedway (Charlotte, NC) not too far from me. Here is the real one I used for reference, it's actually twice the length I made mine...

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:38 AM

You gonna sell it?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:42 AM

Quote - You gonna sell it?

Can't do that. It's made with your magic box and the lights, small doors, ice machine, and barrels aren't mine.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:46 AM

Ah ... pity ... It's a beaut !!!

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 7:50 AM

Quote - Ah ... pity ... It's a beaut !!!

I think so too. Oh, all the doors open. I think my lighting looks a little too bright. I'd love to find a good light setup for day light. It seems most all light sets for Poser are geared towards a human (mainly female) figure.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 8:30 AM · edited Mon, 14 February 2011 at 8:31 AM

Yup, that's why it's called "Poser." :lol:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 9:36 AM · edited Mon, 14 February 2011 at 9:38 AM

file_465473.jpg

> Quote - Yup, that's why it's called "Poser." :lol:

That might be true but you can "pose" more things than just human figures. I turned off one of the lights. Had 3 in the first image.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 9:40 AM

Yes, much better but the pavement is too clean.

It need some oil, greas and tire marks on it, no? :blink:

... if you're trying for realism that is. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 10:21 AM · edited Mon, 14 February 2011 at 10:23 AM

Quote - Yes, much better but the pavement is too clean.

Yeah, I have to work on that. I've tried using a texture on the pavemen't but Poser has that bad habit of stretching the texture when the camera is close to it and it just didn't look right.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 10:31 AM · edited Mon, 14 February 2011 at 10:31 AM

Could you "tile" the texmap? :blink:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 10:43 AM

Quote - Could you "tile" the texmap? :blink:

Tried that I thought but right now, I'll have to get back to this when I get on from work tonight.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 10:49 AM

👍

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 9:25 PM

Well Doc,

Looks like your going to have to do a tut on tilling textures for Poser and how to get Poser to utilize them. Don't recall if you did that one before.

geep ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 9:43 PM

Nope ........................................................... not yet. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 14 February 2011 at 10:34 PM

Quote - Nope ........................................................... not yet. 😄

Cool, well, I sure could use one now... :biggrin:

cherokee69 ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 5:05 AM

Quote - Yes, much better but the pavement is too clean.

Been thinking about that this morning. To get it to look correct would be difficult wouldn't it, especially since it covers such a large area. That pavement area is an exported ground plane that was scaled up to 6028% and then xScaled to 111%.

geep ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 9:05 AM

file_465535.jpg

One of the (obvious?) potential problems with tiling is that it usually produces an easily recognizable repetitive pattern.

One way to avoid this is create 2 or 3 different "tiles" (i.e., squares) with different texmaps and then connect them together so the repeated part is separated by more distance.  Maybe use ~6 different squares to make up the pavement.

I used a number of different texmaps on these stairs to eliminate the repetitiveness.

Can you see where it repeats?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 9:54 AM

Quote - Hey doc,

Remember way back in the "Build A Simple Room" thread where I had mentioned something about a multi-bay garage like you'd find at a NASCAR track?

Well, look below....

I remember that. You have done an excellent job. Wish I could remember the thread where someone (BB maybe) was discussing a cracked, oil stained pavement shader. I'll take a look for you. I cannot remember if it was to do with outdoor illumination or car paint or some such thing. The shader was not the topic of the thread and I didn't save it as that was not my interest at the time.

cherokee69 ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 9:59 AM

Quote - One of the (obvious?) potential problems with tiling is that it usually produces an easily recognizable repetitive pattern.

One way to avoid this is create 2 or 3 different "tiles" (i.e., squares) with different texmaps and then connect them together so the repeated part is separated by more distance.  Maybe use ~6 different squares to make up the pavement.

I used a number of different texmaps on these stairs to eliminate the repetitiveness.

Can you see where it repeats?

3rd and 11th step

cherokee69 ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote - I remember that. You have done an excellent job. Wish I could remember the thread where someone (BB maybe) was discussing a cracked, oil stained pavement shader. I'll take a look for you. I cannot remember if it was to do with outdoor illumination or car paint or some such thing. The shader was not the topic of the thread and I didn't save it as that was not my interest at the time.

He did post a shader for a wet pavement. I have that one, looks good but it looks like new pavement.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 10:08 AM

Pretty cool model...It's great to see someone take a tutorial to new levels.

BTW...I live in Mooresville NC (RACE CITY USA)

You cant swing a dead cat in this town without hitting a NASCAR driver or team member.

Cool stuff.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Klebnor ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 11:03 AM

Quote - > Quote - Can you see where it repeats?

3rd and 11th step

Actually, it's the 1st and 9th, 2nd and 10th, 3rd and 11th, and 4th and top.

I think the good Doctor's point is that it takes close inspection to see this repetition, unlike the pattern created when a small sample is tiled excessively.

Point well taken, and a good example.

Klebnor

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

edgeverse ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 5:40 PM

Great prop. I have used dr geeps tutorials as well. I enjoy them.

3D Digital Comics & Art/My homepage
http://www.edgeversemedia.com

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 15 February 2011 at 6:41 PM

Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, The place where they claim they have sheep and it rains a lot, yet they have neither (Baaa Ha Rain) and now Rendo has it's own Protest....targeting Dr. Geep!

We want a Tiled Text Map tut!

And please Doc, show us how to do grass on a large plane that doesn't look like a giant checkers-chess board. ala the same as the asphalt in those great looking Nascar garages.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 16 February 2011 at 10:54 AM

yup...texturing is my downfall...especially since my P5 tricks don't work in P8...;)

Tutorial might be a help...

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Fri, 18 February 2011 at 9:06 AM

Quote - > Quote - I remember that. You have done an excellent job. Wish I could remember the thread where someone (BB maybe) was discussing a cracked, oil stained pavement shader. I'll take a look for you. I cannot remember if it was to do with outdoor illumination or car paint or some such thing. The shader was not the topic of the thread and I didn't save it as that was not my interest at the time.

He did post a shader for a wet pavement. I have that one, looks good but it looks like new pavement.

I see you found the thread I was refering too. My internet connect isn't really good and I couldn't get back to you on it. Looking forward to seeing a final render. After all the Nascar season starts now in Daytona

cherokee69 ( ) posted Mon, 21 February 2011 at 9:47 AM

file_465829.jpg

I decided to rework the walls so I could apply a shader to it easier. I set up the upper wall section and exported it, then imported the obj file, applied the shader to both, and there is a problem.

The top one is the one formed in Poser, the shader looks good on it. The bottom one is the imported obj file and the shader is really screwed up on it. So what's causing the problem?

Any ideas or suggestions?

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2011 at 3:50 AM · edited Sat, 26 February 2011 at 3:51 AM

file_466045.jpg

OK, here's an update on the garage. Made some changes, got carried away and put the scoring tower together too (I'll post an image of it later). The real garage is twice as long as what I have here.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2011 at 6:43 AM

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!! ... I love the tower and the tex on the asphalt. 👍

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2011 at 7:52 PM · edited Sat, 26 February 2011 at 7:55 PM

file_466062.jpg

Thanks Doc, here's a better image of the tower.

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2011 at 7:56 PM

file_466063.jpg

It was done with primitives, except the 8 lights around the top.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 26 February 2011 at 10:07 PM · edited Sat, 26 February 2011 at 10:08 PM

That's a first class modeling job my friend.  You should be very proud. 👍

Do you have any plans to market your models?

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2011 at 5:50 AM

Quote - That's a first class modeling job my friend.  You should be very proud. 👍

Thanks Doc. Well the original intention was to use it for a backdrop for some of the NASCAR cars I've been doing but it now seems to have taken on a life of it's own. I'd love to do the race track or a portion of the track, but I'm lost on that because of the banked curves that flow into a level surface on the straight a ways.

You got any suggestion on how to do soemthing like that?

grichter ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2011 at 6:00 AM · edited Sun, 27 February 2011 at 6:02 AM

In addition to the Good Doctor, I would buy it to use in race car scenes. There are a number of sports cars I have with racng texture sets in addition to stock cars that would right at home working out of those garages. More importantly both V3 and V4 both have a bunch of scimpy grid girl outfits and no good scenes products to wear them in! :laugh:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

geep ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 9:19 AM · edited Thu, 03 March 2011 at 9:20 AM

Quote - > Quote - That's a first class modeling job my friend.  You should be very proud. 👍

Thanks Doc. Well the original intention was to use it for a backdrop for some of the NASCAR cars I've been doing but it now seems to have taken on a life of it's own. I'd love to do the race track or a portion of the track, but I'm lost on that because of the banked curves that flow into a level surface on the straight a ways.

Magic Magnets ! 😄

Maybe ... Make the track small and then scale it up? :blink:

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 9:30 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - That's a first class modeling job my friend.  You should be very proud. 👍

Magic Magnets ! 😄

Maybe ... Make the track small and then scale it up? :blink:

Magnets are my downfall. Neve been able to master them.

geep ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 9:45 AM

file_466232.jpg

Track made from top half of Poser's Torus prop and then flattened before applying the magnet.

It take some playing with the Mag parts and parameters.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 10:03 AM · edited Thu, 03 March 2011 at 10:05 AM

file_466234.jpg

> Quote - Magnets are my downfall. Neve been able to master them.

Maybe something here could help? :blink: 54 total pages of good stuff ! 👍

1-Poser Magnets (link)

2- More Morphing Magic with Magnets (link)

3-Poser Magnet Basics (link)

4-More Magnet Magic (link)

Check 'em out. 😄

cheers
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 10:07 AM · edited Thu, 03 March 2011 at 10:08 AM

Quote -
Track made from top half of Poser's Torus prop and then flattened before applying the magnet.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

That look interesting.

Quote - > Quote - Magnets are my downfall. Neve been able to master them.

Maybe something here could help? :blink:

1-Poser Magnets

2- More Morphing Magic with Magnets

3-Poser Magnet Basics

4-More Magnet Magic

Check 'em out. 😄

cheers
dr geep
;=]

I'll have to check those out again I guess when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks Doc.

geep ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 10:23 AM · edited Thu, 03 March 2011 at 10:24 AM

You're welcome. 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:18 AM · edited Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:23 AM

Quote -

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

OK, I give!! How'd you do that. When I try making it longer, the side get narrow and the ends get also get elongated and fatter. You illustration looks like it's the same width all the way around.

After looking closer at you illustration, there is something else going on there that I didn't notice before. The 2 straight sides don't have the cross marking that they would normally have if there were from the torus like the "turns" or ends do.

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 3:01 AM

So Doc, how did you get that "track" the same width all the way around?

Thanks

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 5:07 AM

I think it has somethin to do with that circle of influence you see there.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 7:47 AM

Stan,

What version of Poser do you use?

cheers,
dg
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 8:16 AM · edited Sat, 05 March 2011 at 8:21 AM

Please Stan by for a "Special Edition" of Tutsin Comix ... :biggrin:

Waiting for a reply from Cherokee69 ..................................................... . . . . .

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 4:59 PM

Hey Doc,

Been at work today so I missed your message until this evening. I'm currently using Poser Pro 2010.

geep ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 5:10 PM

Ok, I don't have Pro so I'll use P8 for a tut, ok? 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sat, 05 March 2011 at 6:30 PM

That's cool, I have that, and 7 all the way back to 4.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.