Sun, Oct 6, 9:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Is there a problem with triangulated mesh in Poser?

TheOwl ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 12:09 PM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 9:36 PM

I saw a conforming clothing made from Marvelous Designer in the freebies section. It deforms ok in my opinion. So then it means I can use PhilC's OBJ2Cr2 on tri meshes to make conforming clothing?

I think I saw a post from somewhere that states quads are preferred over tris in poser.

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 12:23 PM

Poser and OBJ2CR2 are fine with tri's.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 12:44 PM

there can be an issue with long thin tris causing smoothing artifacts, the solution is simply to avoid long thin tri's, which is easy to do in modeling.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 1:52 PM

Yanno, Poser will happily accept Ngons provided they're planar.  Anything non planar looks proper manky.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 1:57 PM

yup

tis why I use Ngons when I'm making things like rooms and vehicles. if it's not going to bend, it's not a problem to use Ngons with care... it's the context that matters..

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 6:15 PM

You get problems with concave ngons, or at least I do :)

TheOwl ( ) posted Thu, 03 March 2011 at 7:50 PM

Can you guys show me examples?

Passion is anger and love combined. So if it looks angry, give it some love!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 3:26 AM

Quote - You get problems with concave ngons, or at least I do :)

That's what I said. "Non planar".

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

noxiart ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:12 AM · edited Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:16 AM

file_466280.jpg

I just tested and Poser 8 (And I guess PP 2010, too) seems to have surprisingly little problems with n-gons.

Test shows a 7-sided cylinder with an n-gon on top.

From left to right:

soft edges - planar

soft edges - nonplanar

bevelled edges - planar

bevelled edges - nonplanar

hard edges - planar

hard edges - nonplanar

Default render settings with 80° standard smoothing angle

What surprises me also is that the "simple" hard edges render (now ?) actually better than the more "elaborate" bevelled edges.

Usually bevelled edges were to be preferred when you wanted crisp edges in Poser as they rendred more "naturally", but they also raised the mesh size quite a bit.

noxiart ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 5:21 AM

file_466281.jpg

2nd render:

aRtBee ( ) posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 6:50 AM

from my investigations, hex's, quads and the various tri's (zigzag, diagonal, ...) behave different in DYNAMIC clothing, so they migh do so a bit while conforming as well.

There is no 'better' in this. Tri's do well as woven cloth, like linen or jeans, while quads do well as non-woven cloth, like leather or rubber.

And, instead of what sometimes is expected, high resolution meshes make cloth behave like thinner stuff, not thicker.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.