Wed, Oct 9, 6:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Is there a place i can post my animations (like a gallery)?

ShortySeanbo ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2001 at 8:29 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 6:25 PM

I was wondering if there is a place i could post my compressed animations. They are very short, and have no backround or setting or anything...they are straight poser4. If i can just put the link here then check out: http://www.geocities.com/shortyseanbo/movie1.htm if there is a better place, please tell me. Any feedback on the animations is much appreciated (even telling me that they suck royally) ;-)

irjvik ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2001 at 9:39 PM

Hello. Greetings from France. :)) I'm French, please excuse me for my bad english. - As far as I know, there are no galleries for animations. The best solution I see is to redirect to a web site, try to ask renderosity if he could accept a thumbnail. - First, you should place a link (and a thumbnail too) for downloading the file. Some of us are on a standard modem, and a 2,5 Megs web page means too much time. - Next, I'm on a cable modem, so I waited until the transfer was complete... and got nothing except a blank netscape page. And some persons are using a (linux or other OS) non-graphical browser (lynx). - Last, be careful, as you're using RunDLL32.exe, and the final user is warned by Windows. If someone get a virus, you could be in (big) legal trouble... Hoping these comments will help you. If you wish to speak of this, fell free to email me. Keep up the good work, and waiting for your animations. --- Think free, think GPL

ShortySeanbo ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2001 at 9:43 PM

thank you. I just don't know how to post them, i know the page they are on is very picky because it uses embedded movies. at the bottom of the page are links to the actual files. Does anyone know if renderosity has some way of handling animations like irjvik said?

jamball77 ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2001 at 9:46 PM

Well, the fat kid who wants pie has a great character voice but where is his motivation. What I mean is that his face looks totally bland. It should at least show some emotion. A fork or spoon in his hand would help also. ? How are you doing the lip sinc? The second video gave me a rude error saying that the streaming was invalid. Whatever. Keep it up.

ShortySeanbo ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2001 at 9:50 PM

heh, the fat kid is using a cartman clip and lip sinc. and that was just me toying with lip sinc, not actually focousing on what he looked like. he looks f'ed up because i stretched him out. i was more talking about the other 2. and i know that unless youhave the latest version of WMP, the last one may give an error because it is 640x640 instead of standard 640x480. i will remake it soon. thanx for the feedback.

irjvik ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2001 at 10:04 PM

Hello again. Don't try embedded movies. In order to run such movies, your Windows must be flawless, and your Internet connection also must be flawless. - Often Windows is unstable, resulting in minor (and sometimes unseen) crashs. - In Europe, very often the ISP offers an unstable Internet connection, the last time I tried to load GG Genie on Poser Characters, I had to restart the download more than a dozen times. - Also, it's a waste of bandwidth. If I want to see your anim again, I must download it again if it is embedded (or if my Media Player had crashed again). - And last, some persons don't use Windows. Embedded files won't work on Linux, for example. Except if you're planning to support an OS in a crusade against another OS, try to stay compliant with all OSes, shortly said use only widely used protocols (HTTP, FTP, Java,...) Try to put a link like "Download the anim 2.5 MB" link to your .avi (or your .mpg) file. So you could put a thumbnail (the first pic for example). So the user can download it and save it on it's hard disk. You can even put your anim on a FTP site for faster and safer download. If you're upset/afraid/worried by copyrights, simply put a copyright notice. Hoping this can help you. --- Think free, think GPL

ShortySeanbo ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2001 at 10:06 PM

thanks for the advice. i will update my page as soon as i have time, (probably by tomorrow).

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2001 at 12:38 PM

Attached Link: http://66.70.166.29/animation/royfinal.mpg

Embedded movies work fine on modern operating system ( PC and MAC) with modern up to date browsers installed I am on a MAC with OS 9.1 running netscape but i always test my embedded animation clips in my web site at the local radio shack or compusa on a windows PC running internet explorer embedding a movie in a web page is preferable because asking people to download an animation clip to their hard drive to play it back is not a good way to have people veiw your work

My website

YouTube Channel

ShortySeanbo ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2001 at 12:40 PM

Attached Link: http://www.geocities.com/shortyseanbo/movie1.htm

my page is updated. There are now links to the animations on one page and a link from there to the page with them embedded if you prefer that way.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2001 at 12:53 PM

The sword fight animation is rendered at a frame size that is WAY too big for a web browser and the character animation needs much much work!! you should buy some good character animation books and learn the basics like secondary motion.

My website

YouTube Channel

irjvik ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2001 at 1:03 PM

Hello wolf359 :)) I read your response, and I have some questions: - Why is it a bad way for an user to save the movie on it's hard disk ? I always look at least three or four times at a movie, the first time at normal speed, the others stopping on key images or on special (liked, failed,...) images. With an embedeed movie, I must stay connected 3 or 4 times longer, so I'm wasting Bone bandwidth, and ISPs in France are not cheap (about $2 for an hour). - ISPs in France, and often in Europe, often offer an unstable connection, and more than once you are disconnected during your data transfert, so with an embeeded movie, you must restart the download at the very beginning. - What will you do if your Netscape/Internet Explorer, just after having downloaded the embedded movie, don't start it ? It just happened to me on ShortySeanbo site. You feel frustrated, and you don't think any good for neither the site nor its author, even they are innocent as your browser just bugged as usual. - I'm writing from a Win98 computer, but sometimes, I'm roaming the net with a Linux computer. I'm sorry, but there are no embedded possibilities in Linux. So you simply loose customers. - If I can download the file and save it to my hard drive, I can (and will if it is a good one) also burn it on a CD with others, and transmit it to my close friends who either cannot afford an Internet access, either cannot afford a huge Internet bill. I'm also saving your site bandwidth as these friends doesn't need to download the movie directly from your site. Sure, your movie will spread up like fire in the wilderness, but by putting it on the Net, it was your intention (NEVER do it with a commercial file), or else put a password to your site. - I'm not a graphist, I'm a technician (exactly a linux and windows network administrator liking playing with 3D at home). Perhaps there is a way of life (and thinking) I did not see. Thank you for some explanations for all my questions. ;))

ShortySeanbo ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2001 at 1:04 PM

MUCH THANX! that was the feedback i was looking for! i will go look on amazon, but does anyone have any suggestions of book titles?

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2001 at 3:18 PM

Hi irjvik, with all of the computer viruses going around most people simply do not want to download a file from a stranger and open it up on their computers the people who are interested in seeing sample animations, Like pixar or industrial light and magic and other animation houses invest in high speed internet connections to veiw potential employees work on line before inviting them to mail a demo reel on tape I know this sounds elitist, but people who are still using a dial up connection should NOT be trying to involve themsevles to heavily in web based mulitmedia content because they just dont have the bandwidth and reliable connection to do it effectively.

My website

YouTube Channel

irjvik ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2001 at 3:51 PM

Hello wolf359. You're right, I just did not know you targeted financial customers. Your point of view is understandable for me now. :)) My personal point of view: I'm a linuxer (a penguin here!), and I doesn't live from 3D jobs. I'm a netadmin. So I can avoid being elitist. A short time ago, I was on a 33.6 modem (now I'm on cable modem). I agree with you with the your last sentence, the only problem is in Europe, only a few persons can offer more than a V90 modem (you must live in a BIG city in order to comply for the Cable/ADSL). So only companies can afford a fast Internet connection in Europe, as our telecoms operators doesn't want it. As for The States, you're not elitist. Canada also has usually quick Internet speeds. Thank you for your anwser, and have a good day. :))

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.