Fri, Oct 4, 2:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Can the Daz Studio figure be imported into Poser as a poseable figure?

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 1:38 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 2:30 PM

Hi

I just downloaded Daz Studio 4.

Man I don't really understand the interface, I can't find anything and if I do I can't get back to it, but that's not what my question is about.

I was messing around with defualt Daz figure and I wondered it there is any way to actually use it in Poser as a posable figure or are you just supposed to import a Poser or Vicky figure into Daz Studio.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

3anson ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 2:39 AM

Genesis will not work in Poser.  if you were ambitious, you could import the .obj and rig it in the set up room. but you would have to export it from DS as a wavefront .obj first.

there is no .obj in DS itself as DS uses its own filetype.

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 2:43 AM

Quote - I was messing around with defualt Daz figure and I wondered it there is any way to actually use it in Poser as a posable figure ...

The Genesis figure can't easily be used in Poser as a posable figure (the rigging method used isn't supported inPoser, so you'd have to rerig from scratch which would probably be more trouble than is worth the effort).  

Quote - ... or are you just supposed to import a Poser or Vicky figure into Daz Studio.

The Poser figures may work in D|S, but the newer ones have a rigging element that isn't supported by D|S, the older ones need the geometry etc. to be uncompressed (and you need a plugin to handle any PMD based morphs).
So realistically you might as well stick to the DAZ figures that you already use in Poser.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 9:23 AM

Vicky is a DAZ model and will work under both Poser and DAZStudio. 

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 10:03 AM · edited Wed, 13 July 2011 at 10:04 AM

This is a mistake from Daz in my opinion, leave out  the poser users base for their figures is a nonsensical position.

There are many Poser users that never are going to use Daz studio.

adh3d website

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 11:38 AM

Hi

Thanks for the information.

I was just curious, as adh3d indicated, there doesn't seem to be any real reason to use it as an adjunct to Poser, as I do with Blacksmith.

I thought maybe it would simplify or add some things but it appears not.

Mike

cspear ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 1:14 PM

I think you can safely assume that the Genesis figure - which is what you're talking about - will be supported in the next versions of Poser and PoserPro.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 1:24 PM

do you think so?, I don't know, if SM do that, them they assume that they are behinf Daz said, no and in the future. 

I think thay can do some improvement about rigging ot other things ,or not, but that doesn't mean they do it the same way Daz have made it. And this is for me the main problem, in the moment Daz has broken the chain for Poser, the chain is broken.

adh3d website

jarm ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 1:51 PM

Daz are making a very aggresive play for the Poser market, it's been coming for years, there's history between Daz and Poser from previous companies that owned Poser.  By making Genesis Daz3D software only, and the majority of the content creation is done for Daz figures, they're effectively pushing Poser aside.

Point of fact, look at Miki, Miki2, Miki3 and the other smith micro figures and compare quality and quantity of accessories and it's a small handful.

If Smith Micro want to keep Poser relevent for future figures they'd have to license the Daz products to work in Poser IF Daz would let them, this is the opposite of what happened with the face room in Poser which E Frontier tried to get licensing fees out of Daz to make them compatiable (from my understanding).  This is why Daz started DazStudio to create something they could migrate their content onto.

With Daz in control of software AND content, they can set prices and conditions to their own requirements.  Poser will die a fast death if content for SM figures doesn't materialise or if Daz figures no longer function in it.

My two pennies worth on the subject.

coldrake ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 7:36 PM

DAZ has been talking with Smith Micro about incorporating the technology to be able to use the Genesis figure in Poser 9. Whether they will or not is completely up to Smith Micro.

Don't forget Smith Micro has already introduced new rigging that doesn't work in DAZ Studio. It goes both ways. 😉

Coldrake

Eric Walters ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 8:32 PM

Coldrake

The difference is that Genesis bends more naturally than the other figures. A very impressive feat!

Also, Poser users are a large market for Daz. V4 and M4 and the associated products are big sellers for Daz.

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 2:45 AM

It would be in Smith Micro's best interest to introduce a technology that would make better bending figures easier to set up.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

adh3d ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 6:07 AM

Yes could be, but that technology need not to be compatible with the Daz one.

Some people forget that the strong program here is Poser, not Daz studio, and I think Daz could do everything to make compatible their products with Poser, more or less as they have been doing till now, because if they begin a fight agaisnt Poser, they cannot win that war and everybody will loose that war.

adh3d website

cspear ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 7:01 AM · edited Thu, 14 July 2011 at 7:04 AM

If DAZ want to keep making money they have to keep Poser users onside. 

If SM want to keep their user base loyal, they need to support DAZ figures.

The commercial logic is inescapable.

If DAZ wanted to sew up the Poser market they'd have bought Poser years ago (instead of, say, Bryce, Carrara, Hexagon etc.).

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Paloth ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 8:13 AM

Then all is well. Somebody needed to take more than a capsule-sized step on the path to mutually-assured progress. I'm glad Daz had the guts to do it.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

adh3d ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 8:36 AM

It the bussines market, sometimes, have gluts is not enough, it is better have a quiet mind.

We can say one thing or another, but this is the war between Daz and SM, and the solutions are, come to agreement between them, that's the better solution, , or take different ways one side Poser and other side Daz studio, two programs, two different ways to do the same things, and I think this is the way we are now.

I have to add that although I use Poser I have nothing against Daz studio, I think it is a good option, but I thought the most important thing is that both applications remain compatible, and genesis figures dont help very much to that

Daz have to know that they are not alone in the figure creation bussines, and if their figures are the most popular figures is thanks , in part, to Poser and its users.

adh3d website

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 9:55 AM

As very few people seem to be able to predict the furture I guess this theme will continue to run and run.  Will it end when there is a new Poser and we find it does or does not support Genesis?  For a while maybe, but then it will all start again when there is a Genesis two.

I wonder however how many people have a real choise.  If Poser does support Genesis then I may give it a try but only after I have seen enough images to convince me that there is a real benefit over V4.  If there is no support,  the decision is made for me as I have been with Poser too long to try and learn another way of working, let alone the financial commitment have have locked up on Poser and V4.  Much as I am interested in art, it is after all a hobby, not a way of life.

I have a passing interest in the future but the present is where my efforts will be focused.  Now just where did a leave Vicky last time?

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 12:46 PM

Poser has been around much longer then most of the soothsayers of the past have predicted.  I remember back when there was the predicted demise after the release of Poser 5 and the sale to eFronteirs.  Then there was the predicted demise after the sale to Smith Micro.

For all the hype, DAZ has little to offer in the way of add-ons for Gensis.  Anubis and one third party morph set.  Eventually the Troll and V5.  One conversion plugin that has a so-so track record and only converts clothing from Gen 4 to Gensis.  Woopee. 

DAZ is the one spending the money and taking the risks.  SMS can afford to sit back and wait to see how the new technology pans out. Unless it proves to be profitable, I don't see SMS investing in it. 

Klebnor ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 1:31 PM

Market reality:

share of profits from sales of shavers - 2%

share of profits from sales of blades - 98%

Would you rather make the shavers, or the blades?

Hmmmmm ...

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 3:09 PM

Hi Again.

Could you really do in Daz Studio the same kind of thing you can in Poser?

When I look at it, it just seems really hard to use.

Having to click from interface to interface to get the same controls that appear in Poser all at once seems really hard.

I have to admit that I haven't used it enough to really understand it but it just seems confusing to me.  

Even if you haven't used Poser before you can do basic stuff on one screen with the parameter dials and a stock figure and a few easy to apply props in just a few minutes.

This just seems unintuitive to me.  I suppose it's all in what you are used to but for me Poser seems more logical. 

Mike

ksanderson ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 6:20 PM

Mike, watch some of the DAZ videos on YouTube and at DAZ that explain the new interface. It really isn't that hard. Watch, then try it and the lightbulb will come on. I've heard people for years stymied by this interface or that interface. They really aren't that complex and they are after all designed for noobs with Poser and DAZ Studio. Try a program like Houdini, then you'll really understand what complicated is really all about! ;)

Kevin

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 7:38 PM

This is a part of the interview with Dan Farr in august 3DWorld magazine:

This break from the Poser legacy is bound to raise eybrows, but Farr plays down any potential concerns. "We have a good (???) relationship with Smith Micro," he maintains. "We'd like to see our products 100 per cent compatible with each other, as this is the best for our users and DAZ 3D. Unfortunately, we were finding that staying tied to Poser's content format was really holding us back from delivering the tools our users needed. DAZ s Studio 4's new file format is an open format that can be easily interpreted by other tools that support the new TriAx system. We've supplied this SDK to Smith Micro and other software developers in the hope of making our content compatible with Poser and a wide variety of content creation tools."

So in other words it is up to Smith Micro, if Genesis and every new figure that uses Genesis, like Victoria 5, who will arrive this summer (in the same interview) will be implemented in the next versions of Poser and PoserPro. From my point of view this will have big consequences: will they only change the software in such a way that the new figure and new content can be loaded and posed in poser or will (and can)they overhaul the whole rigging system? Which would be necessary for content creators.

Anyway, I'm really confused about these developements: DAZ is going it's own way. And although D|S4 and the new genesis looks very promising, I won't step over untill the new poser upgrade ships.

best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2011 at 9:21 AM

The Illustrious "3D World" magazine

has nominated the genesis Figure in its "innovation of the year"

Category So it seems its not the usual Daz Pooware add on like in times past

SEE HERE

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2011 at 5:49 PM

Thanks for the laugh Wolf359!

"Daz Pooware". Love it.

Quote - The Illustrious "3D World" magazine

has nominated the genesis Figure in its "innovation of the year"

Category So it seems its not the usual Daz Pooware add on like in times past

SEE HERE

Cheers

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.