Sun, Oct 6, 5:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question about modeling hybrid clothing

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2011 at 11:21 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:28 AM

Ok, this isn't for me. But the person wanting to know is shy about posting, so I volunteered.

How does one go about making a hybrid clothing item?  One that has a part of it as conforming such as the bodice, and another part that is dynamic, such as the skirt.

Do you make the conforming item and dynamic item separately and then somehow merge them together? If so, how do you go about merging the 2 types together so that they are "welded" together so-to-speak.

Or do you make it as one item and then somehow convert one to either conforming or dynamic? If so, are there any tutorials on how to go about doing that?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 12:11 AM
Online Now!

You can make any item of clothing you have already made hybrid.  eg you might have a poser person wearing a sweater and you might just want the end of the sleeve to fit better, you can clothify the forearm part of the sweater.

I'm not a modeller but if your friend just tries clothifying a few parts of clothes she already has she will soon know what it takes to make hybrid clothes.

Love esther

PS tell your friend not to be shy.  we don't bite (much)

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 2:27 AM

The person knows how to model clothing. They want to know specifically how to go about modeling a hybrid clothing item from scratch, not trying to adjust an existing clothing item.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 2:30 AM
Online Now!

they can adjust their existing clothing that is non-hybrid the same way and then they should be able to see what needs to be done, whcih I think just involves the part being one group.

Love esther

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 2:31 AM
Online Now!

try it try it you will see

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 2:52 AM · edited Sun, 31 July 2011 at 2:53 AM

Actually, this interests me too, to some degree. Wondering if there's going to be clashes between the conforming part of, say, the waist section of a skirt - where conforming should be a reasonable solution at least part of the time - the the skirt bit, where dynamic is just about always going to be the better solution.

I say "some degree" only because I can't help but wonder if there isn't a better solution to keep parts of a garment where they are meant to be via another means than constraining. Not that it doesn't work, but I've had to be fairly creative to keep these jeans from becoming unsightly in the crotch as Katie bent over:

Dynamic Jeans

And here is what I ended up doing:

http://www.tightbytes.com/Poser/Rendo/constrained.jpg

...created a material group in Blender in that lit-up region, which I set as a material named constrained and so i could select it in Poser's cloth room in the Edit constrained group thingie under dynamic groups. Still have a lot to learn about that, but can't help but wonder if making the hip alone conforming and the rest dynamic could work... :blink:

Oh, and yes, these are yours, Grappo... hope you like how they look as bootcut - I'm so old-fashioned... :biggrin:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

faaeria ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 6:14 AM

I'd too be grateful for explaining how hybrid clothes are made, how to save them in the library etc. :)

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 6:18 AM
Online Now!

I think the main thing to remember is that any bodypart of a clothing can be clothified.  Try it on some ordinary conforming clothes that you already have just to see.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 3:06 PM · edited Sun, 31 July 2011 at 3:15 PM

Quote - I think the main thing to remember is that any bodypart of a clothing can be clothified.  Try it on some ordinary conforming clothes that you already have just to see.

Yes, but my friend is asking how to go about modeling a true hybrid clothing item, not clothifying part of a conforming one inside Poser. 

araneldon ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 4:36 PM

The implied answer seems to be that hybrids are made more or less the same way as conformers.

Based on my own experiment earlier today it appears that dynamic parts need to be rigged (i.e. attached to a bone), otherwise they don't show up in the list of parts to be clothified.

Also, conforming clothing is generally modeled using neatly arranged quads used sparingly, whereas dynamics tend to benefit from an evenly distibuted and dense mesh (delauney triangulation). The threads about dynamic clothing linked to in the stickied post in this forum provide more detail.

I suppose the mini-tutorial then would be:

1. Create your item as if it were a conformer, but follow the guidelines for modeling dynamic cloth for the parts that are to be clothified.

2. Rig the mesh like any conformer.

That said, I'm sure there's more to this. Please correct any mistakes and add more details about best practices, et cetera. :)

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 5:15 PM

I think, that it is not an answer.

If you want modeling hybrid you should remember, then border between conformed and dynamic parts will be visible. Conformed parts should be "draped" in modeling software. Then not all clothing can be hybrid. RobynsVeil jeans looks ok, because constrained group is selected where jeans are sewed. Another groups which can be used as constrained/choreographed are belts, cuffs, welts.

Easiest is skirt. You should just create mesh. Fold belt area and select it as an separate group or separate material (depends of software which you use).

In Poser load created obj. Go to setup room create/load hip bone. If it is necessary create/load abdomen thighs etc. Rest was explained above.

More advanced are shirts robes etc. Dynamic group does not need be "open" like skirt bottom. You can create dynamic sleeves with tight cuffs.

If you create this kind of model must remember to create one more loop of vertices next to start and end of dynamic part of cloth. In this case next to collar and wrist.

More explanation with samples:

• create conformed, thight vest. (conformed)

• create loose sleeves joined to vest. (dynamic)

• on the ends of sleeves create thight cuffs. (conformed)

Vest and cuffs should be folded/draped in modeling software, sleeves can be just simple "pipe" (ofcourse you can add some folds for better results)

In setup room select sleeves as arms/shoulder (depends of figure) and cuffs as forearms.

In clothing room Poser 7 default select edges of body part as choreographed group. If not you must select vertices on edges manually. Mentioned above additional vertices make it easier and give better (more smooth) results.

ratscloset ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 5:57 PM

There is no difference in Hybrid Clothing, verses Conforming Clothing construction. Technically, there is very little different in Rigging/Setup. The key is that at one point, the Conforming stops and the rest is Dynamic. This could be just the lower leg of Bell Bottom Pants, or it could be from the Hip down on a Dress or Skirt (or long coat)

You can throw most any Conforming into the Cloth Room and run a Simulation on the cloth, but only the last Group (end of Sleeve, end of Pants, end of Skirt, etc...) You will see a lot of Hybrid include Morphs for Walking, Sitting, Squatting, etc... these are created by converting the simulation to a Morph on the Cloth for those parts affected by the Simulation.

ratscloset
aka John

icprncss2 ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 6:07 PM

Last hybrid I rigged was a long dress.  It was modelled and grouped from the hip up the same as any conformer.  Below the the hip was a single group "skirt".  I rigged the the hip and up the same as I would any other confromer.  The skirt group was left unrigged.

The model is conformed to the figure (BVH's Angela in this case) and then taken into the cloth room.  The skirt group is clothified and the cloth simulation affects only that part of the figure.

shuy ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 6:24 PM

Quote - There is no difference in Hybrid Clothing, verses Conforming Clothing construction. Technically, there is very little different in Rigging/Setup. The key is that at one point, the Conforming stops and the rest is Dynamic. This could be just the lower leg of Bell Bottom Pants, or it could be from the Hip down on a Dress or Skirt (or long coat)

You can throw most any Conforming into the Cloth Room and run a Simulation on the cloth, but only the last Group (end of Sleeve, end of Pants, end of Skirt, etc...) You will see a lot of Hybrid include Morphs for Walking, Sitting, Squatting, etc... these are created by converting the simulation to a Morph on the Cloth for those parts affected by the Simulation.

Not exactly. I forgot to mention that dynamic parts must have more polygons then conformed.

faaeria ( ) posted Mon, 01 August 2011 at 6:18 AM

Lots of useful information. Thank you guys :)

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 03 August 2011 at 9:51 AM

i tried dynamicafying Simon's t-shirt sleeves, but a large part of the chest is in the shoulders.  it bubbled strangely.  he has a nice physique too.  :wub:

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.