Thu, Sep 19, 11:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: Poser Pro 2012 Mac old runtimes problem

wackymidget ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 3:34 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 7:06 PM

I was wondering if anybody had the same problem? I installed Poser Pro 2012 on my mac. Included my old runtimes.

What I noticed was what seems to be case sensitive issues? If Library is with a capital L it creates a library with lower case l.

Also if Runtime is with lower case r it does not recognize it.

In addition if any of the standard folders in the library starts with a capital, it creates the same folder with the lowercases. However, if the folder is lowercase it does not recognize it in Poser. So I need the folders with a lowercase and an uppercase.

AVANZ ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 7:20 PM

Had no problem installing Poser Pro 2012 on my MAC.

Created the new content folder with Poser Pro's 2012 runtime in my application folder, but not inside Poser Pro's 2012 program folder. Then created a new library in Poser Pro that links to my old  Poser 8 Runtime.
I have to say that loading stuff from the linked Runtime is a bit slower. 

Are you saying you are trying to merge old and new Runtimes during install??

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:19 PM

there is a python script you will find partners -> shaderworks -> importruntimes

that will load in all your external runtimes you had previously been using in poser.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

estherau ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2011 at 8:20 PM

go up to scripts next to help in your poser window.

wackymidget ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 2:12 PM

Thanks for the response. I will have to try it. Not sure if the plugin will help, since the original content from 2012 is also not shown.

I'm running on OSX 10.7 by the way. 

wackymidget ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 2:12 PM

Thanks for the response. I will have to try it. Not sure if the plugin will help, since the original content from 2012 is also not shown.

I'm running on OSX 10.7 by the way. 

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 5:51 PM

I have lion but haven't installed it yet, because I have a lot of old content that might have daz installers that I haven't installed yet.

Love esther

mamba-negra ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2011 at 9:34 PM

OS X lets you format your disks to be case sensitive. Is your disk formatted so? If so, maybe this is the first version of poser that cared...

I have a bunch of old runtimes that worked fine in poser 8, and I haven't encountered any that aren't detected. I am still using 10.6, though. 

unrealblue ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 4:13 PM

OMG!

My runtime was totally destroyed.

Some sort of cruel joke????

The installer DELETED my existing runtime.

WTF kind of installer program DELETES existing user modified data???????

Mac running Snow Leopard.

mamba-negra ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 4:16 PM

Hm, I didn't have that problem. Where was the one that was overwritten located? I'm on snow leopard too...though, I'm using 32bit, I think, if that matters.

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 6:42 PM · edited Fri, 23 September 2011 at 6:43 PM

The only runtime the installer creates on a Mac is now in the share folder off the main harddrive root unless you tell it to install elsewhere. What happen is a new library prefs was created. Your files are still on your hard drive, just not linked to the new library. If you upgraded for 8 or 2010, you can copy and paste your old runtime data into the new library prefs file vs having to relink them one at a time. Plus I beleive under the scripts menu there might be a mass importer script also (look in the partners sub directory). Not near Poser for a few more hours so I can't give you the exact script location from memory

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

unrealblue ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 8:10 PM

they are NOT.  I'm looking at the file system, not Poser.  The old content directory is gone.  not hidden, not renamed.  Gone.

My contents was setup as follows:

/Users/Shared/Poser Content

The installer told me it was putting the content into /System.  I did not want it there.  I wanted /Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content.  So I selected Shared as the target.  And, indeed, it created the directory.  But my old directory is gone.  I'm pretty sure I didn't delete it myself.  I checked my trash, and lots of other files are there which i deleted PRIOR to the installation (including bits from the old Poser Content directory).  However, the Poser Content directory is NOT there.  So I did not delete it accidentally using the GUI - it would be in the unemptied trash.  I would have to rm -Rf /Users/Shared/Poser Content to "accidentally" remove it at the command line.  I can't see doing that by mistake.  Something is seriously messed up.

Looking through the info the installer leaves in syslog, (which is not very verbose, for an install log) I can see the call to cmod permissions on the new content directory.  But not really any other information.  Poor installation logging  Every single step should be in syslog.

In fact, my file system reads 35GB more space after the installer running.  I had 64GB free prior to installation, 99GB free after installation.  So the 35GB disappeared then.

So, I'll have to restore from my last sync (thank GOD I backup).  It'll take a while to copy 35GB back over.

grichter ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2011 at 9:10 PM

I installed betas on top of betas on top of betas without issues. The final build I did uninstall a lot. I would file a bug report so they can fix it before somebody else has the problem also.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

unrealblue ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2011 at 1:03 AM

I just unzipped the install.log

postinstall goes through my entire content directory, file by file.

Sep 23 07:41:46 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: /Users/Shared/Poser Content/Downloads/Runtime/Textures/vyktohria/DynamicTee

Sep 23 07:41:46 Oz installd[39969]: *** process 39969 exceeded 500 log message per second limit - remaining messages this second discarded ***

Finally gets to:

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: PackageKit: Executing script "./postinstall" in /private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.RIcQpP/Scripts/com.SmithMicro.PoserContent.ProContent.pkg.QubRKf

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: /Applications/Poser Pro 2012/Runtime/prefs/Default Poser Prefs

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: reading content root path

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: CONTENT_ROOT_PATH is: /Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: /Users/Shared

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: /Users/Shared/Poser Pro 2012 Content

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: >>> Copying /Users/Shared/Poser Content

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: ditto: can't get real path for source

Sep 23 07:41:59 Oz installd[39969]: ./postinstall: rm: /Users/Shared/Poser Content: No such file or directory

tell me this is not an error with postinstall calling the RM command on my content directory????  

My fear is that they copied everything from /Poser Content to /Poser Pro 2012 Content, RM'd that directory, and THEN copied the new files from temp directory into the same directory structure, including the directorties.  Unix doesn't merge directories, it replaces them.  That's why you can't drop content that's just a "runtime" dir structure onto the existing runtime on MAC.  You have to use something like RSRConv that merges the files into existing directory.

Hard to tell, I don't have the listing for the postinstall script.  If I had it, I could see what it's doing in short order.

wackymidget ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2011 at 7:49 PM

I think it has to do the way OSX treats folders. In contrary to Windows, OSX treats folders as files. If you overwrite a folder, all content is lost. Whereas in Windows when you overwrite a folder you merge the contents of the two folders.

That is probably what happened in your case. The ugly thing is, that because it is not deleted, it is not in your trash and you need some expensive tool to retrieve your data. 

unrealblue ( ) posted Sat, 24 September 2011 at 10:43 PM

OSX is a unix derivative, underneath, and as such treats everything like files.  This makes a lot of things easy.  Merging directories is not one of those things :D

I really really wish they'd change the way the GUI deals with this (offering at least the option of a merge).  But Steve is not a guy to 1) admit he might be wrong and 2) change his mind.

The windows way (on this) is a lot less dangerous and typically more what people want.

I periodically sync my content directory between my desktop and laptop.  Took me about an hour to copy the 35GB back from my desktop.  So I survived.

I wish the installer logging was more detailed and the logging facility could keep up, so I had a definitive answer to what happened, though.

Now I'll just use both runtimes (separately), which is what I wanted in the first place. :)

wackymidget ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2011 at 5:40 AM

Quote - OS X lets you format your disks to be case sensitive. Is your disk formatted so? If so, maybe this is the first version of poser that cared...

I have a bunch of old runtimes that worked fine in poser 8, and I haven't encountered any that aren't detected. I am still using 10.6, though. 

It's not formatted to be case sensitive. In fact it's NTFS formatted. I'm using Tuxera to access the drive. I share it with my dual boot Windows 7

unrealblue ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2011 at 3:47 PM

Quote - I have lion but haven't installed it yet, because I have a lot of old content that might have daz installers that I haven't installed yet.

Love esther

Hi Esther,

One thing I do to future proof against the (horrible) DAZ installers is to make runtime zips out of them.

To do this, I run the installer, targeting a newly created desktop folder named the same as the package.  This creates the normal runtime hierarchy in that folder.  That's pretty much all the installer does for our purposes.  Then I install that runtime using RSRConv (like all other content). Then I zip those and store them.

For old content, I actually use the windows installers, doing the same thing in a VMWare windows session.

A major advantage of runtime zips, of course, is being able to reinstall everything very easily with a single simple shell script. Another is portability and backwards compatibility. A separate installer is a "silly thing". A smarter method would be to include the package installer in DS and Poser.

Hmmmm. I sense a script in my future. :D

cheers ^^

wackymidget ( ) posted Sun, 25 September 2011 at 5:06 PM

The zip is a good tip. With Lion PPC programs no longer work, which means old DAZ installers no longer work as well...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.