Mon, Sep 23, 9:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:56 am)

Subject: How to transfer weight map from character to clothing?

amy_aimei ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 6:36 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 9:34 AM

Hi all,

I'm considering to purchase the latest version of Poser to use the weight mapped characters and create clothing for them.  I would like to know the proper way to make the weight mapped conforming clothing for the weight mapped character.  I hope there is no need for JCM.  Can Poser 9 transfer the weight map from the character to clothing?

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 7:33 AM

Poser 9 can't. It only does the standard rigging. You need Pro 2012 for the weightmapping. Yeah, I think it blows too....lol.

Laurie

Vigne33 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 8:12 AM

Attached Link: http://youtu.be/2t3BUBV22u8

Hi Can this video help you for your question?  I have just purchased Poser 9, so I would be interested to know what is the utility of weight mapping in Poser 9 version...I am completely beginner in Rendering painting.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 10:18 AM

As LaurieA just posted, you  can only work with weightmapping in PP2012.  Can't be done in P9.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 10:21 AM

Poser9 can read and work with weightmapped content.

But only PoserPro 2012 can create weightmapped content.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 10:35 AM

You might try using Wardrobe Wizard 2 which comes with Poser 2012 to convert the clothing to weightmapping, assuming you have the character files you need.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 10:55 AM

Wardrobe Wizard is also packaged with P9.

meatSim ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 12:15 PM

I have pro 2012 but I was under the impression that poser 9 could transfer the WM from character to clothing but that you could not edit the maps in poser 9... I may be wrong though, my impressions are often confused, mis informed or just plain wrong

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 12:42 PM

IIRC, SmithMicro has a quick tutorial on transferring WM from figure to Clothing.  And I believe that the assessment is correct, you would be able to transfer WM from character to clothing in P9.  However, as stated before, you would not be able to create or modify any WMing in this version, only in the Pro series.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 3:57 PM

Actually, you can.

Download Antonia WM from DNA: the instructions are there in the PDF. They should apply to any figure.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 4:03 PM

Poser 9 should be able to transfer weight mapping, using the Setup Room or the Figure --> Copy Joint Zones from option.  However Poser 9 will not allow editing of weight maps using the joint editor tool.  That feature is unique to Poser Pro 2012.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

amy_aimei ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 10:27 PM

Thank you for the replies from all of you.  I think I need Poser Pro 2012, but it is $$$!  I wonder if Poser 9 is good enough.  Does anyone has experience of making the conforming clothing with weight map for the character with weight map, such as Antonia WM?  Is it necessary to edit the weight mapping after it is transferred from the character to the conforming clothing? If not, I think I will go for Poser 9.

I gave up on making Antonia WM to work with DAZ Studio 4.  In DAZ Studio 4, bones below the hip of Antonia WM work fine.  The bend, side-side, twist for the chest bone of Antonia WM break the top.  

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 11:36 PM · edited Mon, 23 January 2012 at 11:40 PM

The weight map transfer to clothing or other figures seems to work fairly well, but with some limitations.  The transfer only works between actors with the same names in both figures.  So if you have an atypical figure setup (say, a figure with an extra actor layer over one of the normal body parts), the maps won't be transferred to actors not found in the cr2 from which you're transferring the weights.  As far as I can tell, this is true with any Wardrobe Wizard weight transfers, as well.

The transferred weights can also require extensive editing if the figure and the clothing are not cut similarly to one another.  I've tried converting some pants for Antonia-Standard to Antonia-WM, but the shins on the pants are cut too high and the resulting weights are unusable.

I rather hope they'll refine the weight transfer processes a bit in future updates, or someone will write a utility which can more effectively project the weights from one figure to another in circumstances like these.  I think the basic mesh comparison portions of Morphing Clothes could be effective for this (Dimension3D, are you listening?), but the comparisons would be too slow to be feasible without some kind of compiled program.  Which is to say, the process probably isn't a good candidate for a pure Poser Python script, unless a .dll or .pyd is written to speed things up.  :(

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 6:17 AM · edited Tue, 24 January 2012 at 6:17 AM

Quote - Thank you for the replies from all of you.  I think I need Poser Pro 2012, but it is $$$!

There are options, Amy. Not huge, but definitely a bit better.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2012 at 7:39 AM

Well, I saw a full version of Poser Pro 2012 on Amazon.com that was cheaper than if I upgrade thru Smith Micro. If you can, you might wanna go that route.

Laurie

amy_aimei ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 6:17 AM

Yes, I saw a full version of Poser Pro 2012 on Amazon.com is even cheaper than the Poser 9.  I wonder if it is from trustworthy or legal source.  I'm not sure if they ship outside the U.S.  Then, I have to figure out how much taxes/custom fee will be on the bill when I receive it.

I just found that DAZ offers a set of contents creation tools for DAZ Studio 4 for free!  Now I have the DAZ Studio 4 Pro license key and some other tools waiting for me to download and try.

The introduction of weight map on both DAZ Studio and Poser seems to make it harder to share contents between the two apps.

I noticed that the current DAZ Studio 4 I have doesn't import the weight map created by Poser Pro 2012 correctly.  I noticed it imports something because the result of importing Antonia WM to DAZ Studio 3 is not the same as DAZ Studio 4.

First thing I will try to make Antonia WM works in DAZ Studio 4 Pro.  Maybe, I better post a message at DAZ forum to see if someone interest in doing that too.

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 6:33 AM

HI Amy,

Amazon is a trustworthy source; they are the largest online retailer.  They have sites around the world; try your country's suffix, such as http://www.amazon.co.jp/

You can export weightmapped characters from Studio in Poser format, but it cannot import Poser weightmapped figures.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.