Tue, Oct 22, 12:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:57 pm)

Subject: DAZ to make a "game-changing" announcement

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:33 PM

Daz has created a AI version of Genesis that takes voice commands for animation-ie "run up the stairs of the temple and swing your sword"- in addition Genesis will help you through using Daz with interactive conversation- much like SIRI with the iPhone4S.

Genesis will also develop a personality-and make clothing decisions on it's own-buying and trying on Daz clothing- then asking your opinion before making a final purchase.

With the right Expression Packs-V5 can mope and sulk if you go against her clothing choices. :-)

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:36 PM

I sure hope not.  I took that statement of hope that SM was genuinely trying the opposite of slaving themselves to daz.  

Quote - Maybe it has someting to do with Mr. Coopers post here:

http://www.runtimedna.com/forum/showthread.php?67823-i-would-appreciate-a-reply-from-SMITH-MICRO-on-this-statement-from-Daz-about-Genesis.&p=654398&viewfull=1#post654398

Mazak

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:38 PM

Well at least we'd finally know how the models really feel about the endless stream of slutwear they get dressed in!

Quote -  Daz has created a AI version of Genesis that takes voice commands for animation-ie "run up the stairs of the temple and swing your sword"- in addition Genesis will help you through using Daz with interactive conversation- much like SIRI with the iPhone4S.

Genesis will also develop a personality-and make clothing decisions on it's own-buying and trying on Daz clothing- then asking your opinion before making a final purchase.

With the right Expression Packs-V5 can mope and sulk if you go against her clothing choices. :-)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:39 PM

I think I'm with lmckenzie on this one. I have a distinct feeling it's gonna be a huge yawn...lol. It's just...hype.

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:41 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I know what coelacanth is but what is "cloaca"?

asshole.

lighten up he's just askin!!  No need to resort to name calling!

:lol: 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

imax24 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:45 PM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:46 PM

Quote - I sure hope not.  I took that (Cooper) statement of hope that SM was genuinely trying the opposite of slaving themselves to daz.

Indeed, I think Steve was saying that SM was asked if they wanted to hitch their wagon to Daz and Genesis, considered it, and decided against it.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:48 PM

Maybe after 5 and a half years, DAZ has finally come up with the Cloth creation plugin.

It was one of those things they promised back in the fall of 2006 along with the cloth player and cloth control plugin.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:49 PM

Well so far, my idea was the best.

DAZ had better come up with something pretty damn good to top that. :) 

My Store

My Gallery

ksanderson ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:51 PM

You won't see any company mergers pre-teased in a forum so I don't think that's it.

Someone mentioned over at the DAZ forum that the wording was similar to the announcement made when they bought Bryce. So I think it's possible they bought another program. Or even more likely they will be having a DAZ special sale for a limited time for some big program they haven't sold before as they did a few years ago with Modo. This is a slow time of year for sales of anything, so a quick partnering with some company looking to expand their user base and generate some quick cash is probable. It was around this time last year that messiah made a lot of noise and generated some quick cash, so maybe another company wants to do it this time but with DAZ handling the transaction and quickly getting word out to its users.

imax24 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 4:59 PM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:00 PM

I don't think Daz adding yet another app to its stable (DS4, Bryce, Carerra, Hexagon) will shock the industry much. Unless, as I guessed early on, that DS5 combines features from them all. Besides, what may be thought of as earth-shaking in the Daz community may only be mildly interesting or even shrug-worthy outside it. 3D is a big universe.

scanmead ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:08 PM

Sanderson, you nearly gave me a stroke! Modo is, as far as I know, still owned by Luxology. You know, people who write great platforms and documentation. Professionals in the purest sense of the word. I'm thinking you mean Hexagon?

(Now off for a stiffner to jump start my heart.)

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:23 PM

Quote - You won't see any company mergers pre-teased in a forum so I don't think that's it.

Someone mentioned over at the DAZ forum that the wording was similar to the announcement made when they bought Bryce. So I think it's possible they bought another program.

Maybe DAZ bought The Sims!

I agree that it would be very weird for a company merger to be hinted at this way. 

Though they could buy Poser without merging with SM.

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:29 PM

Maybe SM bought DAZ.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

ksanderson ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:34 PM

Quote - Sanderson, you nearly gave me a stroke! Modo is, as far as I know, still owned by Luxology. You know, people who write great platforms and documentation. Professionals in the purest sense of the word. I'm thinking you mean Hexagon?

(Now off for a stiffner to jump start my heart.)

They sold the Modo program heavily discounted in their store a few years ago. I think V4 was modeled in Modo. It was a limited time offer. I remember it because I didn't buy it at the time and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Kevin

laschae ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:38 PM

It has the word major capitalized....so  how about a Daz3D school so all us poor hick poser users can learn how to use DS! =P

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:38 PM

I hate it when they anounce that they will make an anouncement.

If you have something to say?
Say it or shut up.

I hate these hypes .

"Hype to hype."

over 20 pagers over there, and already 4 here?
For who?
For what?
To make us nervous?

I call that a childish: "Make myself important".

Well :
Brainstormer for you Daz.

You are NOT.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:40 PM

"You expect me to SWORD fight in a METAL G- String?" Are you SERIOUS? Get me some DAMN ARMOR! I am NOT going in that TEMPLE dressed like THIS! And how about a SHIELD?

Better yet-get me one of those PLASMA Cannons ON SALE now- I'll MELT the damned Dragon! " :-)

Quote - Well at least we'd finally know how the models really feel about the endless stream of slutwear they get dressed in!

Quote -  Daz has created a AI version of Genesis that takes voice commands for animation-ie "run up the stairs of the temple and swing your sword"- in addition Genesis will help you through using Daz with interactive conversation- much like SIRI with the iPhone4S.

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 5:54 PM

Whatever it is, it probably won't top what's been written here. I especially like SamTherapy's conjecture.

I'm hoping it's not that V4 is going back to jail for violating probation and not doing her community service. Just when it looked like she was ready to restart her career.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:13 PM
Site Admin

So is there a prize for who ever guesses right? Can we make this a challenge?

I think it's unlikely that they'll be unveiling ds5. They just came out with 4 with in the last year.

Most likely they are exagerating and will be redoing the site yet again or changing management again.

But maybe they really have something cool and exciting like motion capture affordable to hobbyists. That would be a game changer.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:20 PM

"But maybe they really have something cool and exciting like motion capture affordable to hobbyists. "

simple enough... the Kinect SDk has been out a few months now... so...

imax24 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:21 PM

Ha! I got it. The new head honcho is going to allow... (are you sitting down?) ... NIPPLES on their product pages. I told you it was earth-shaking.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:21 PM

If the motion capture is as good as the Gene exporter?? What should have been a one click solution BTW. A lot of emotions are going to be captured :-)

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:22 PM

Cloaca - "a common passage for fecal, urinary, and reproductive discharge in most lower vertebrates"

N.B.  However a couple of researchers have asserted that the living coelacanth does not possess a cloaca.

Someone mentioned Kinect. An out of the box Genesis/mocap animation app would be interesting to some I imagine. Check to see if Larry Flynt or Hef have an account at DAZ. They did a thing with Dick Van Dyke years ago. Maybe he and MTM are reuniting for an animated series or Brangelina has adopted all the DAZ figures or...

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 7:43 PM

Quote - > Quote - I sure hope not.  I took that (Cooper) statement of hope that SM was genuinely trying the opposite of slaving themselves to daz.

Indeed, I think Steve was saying that SM was asked if they wanted to hitch their wagon to Daz and Genesis, considered it, and decided against it.

I think the reference was to steves comments about SM having someone develope an new male figure for poser for poser that takes advantage of all poser 9/pp2012 have to offer.  I seriously doubt they would get daz to do this for them, nor that daz would take it on.  It was mentioned that it could be an established vendor who has put out some great stuff for poser already.  I dont recall the exact wording.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 8:01 PM

That may be Phantom3D then. Mike is already in the process of creating a new male figure.

How many wanna bet me "game-changing" is a gross overexaggeration? LOL.

Laurie

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 8:05 PM

You can't mean that!

Quote - That may be Phantom3D then. Mike is already in the process of creating a new male figure.

Laurie

SteveJax ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 8:44 PM

They're selling themselves to Facebook?

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 8:50 PM

Quote - How many wanna bet me "game-changing" is a gross overexaggeration? LOL.

Laurie

Considering this is a forum announcement to their fan base, you'd probably win that bet.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

vintorix ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 9:08 PM

"How many wanna bet me "game-changing" is a gross overexaggeration? LOL"

How much do you want to bet?

"The only true satisfaction for an intellectual is a correct prediction"

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 9:45 PM

Quite possibly, Sixus is another possibility, I saw on a what are you working on thread a post about a male figure he was working on as well.

Quote - That may be Phantom3D then. Mike is already in the process of creating a new male figure.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 9:52 PM

Seriously I hope it's not Sixus...lol. While I like Les personally, I've never been a fan so much of his models. It's nothing personal, just taste ;). Besides, he's way too dark for me...lol. Monsters and demons and blood suckers and corpses aren't exactly my thing :P.

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 9:58 PM

This crossed my mind...

A team up with Sony/Warner/Disney/Insert major entertainment company here. 

You have to admit, that really would be major news. And somewhat game changing with a mainstream ent business backing 'em.

I guess we'll find out later. 

My Store

My Gallery

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 9:58 PM

Yeah.  You can tell he puts a lot of work into them, however I too don't care for his style.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 10:47 PM

I don't think I can take the anticipation any longer. :-)

LilWolff ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 10:48 PM

I would be happy if it was Sixus, I love their stuff!  But I don't think that is it. 

I am hoping SM makes Phantom3D and Blackhearted a deal they can't walk away from!  Well I can dream.......

meatSim ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 10:58 PM

No doubt.. Mike and Gabe both do amazing work.  Its pretty much a win just that they are looking to invest in the figure market and hopefully are really planning on playing ball.  

Quote - I would be happy if it was Sixus, I love their stuff!  But I don't think that is it. 

I am hoping SM makes Phantom3D and Blackhearted a deal they can't walk away from!  Well I can dream.......

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 11:00 PM

Quote - B.Howell of Daz product management announced: "DAZ will make a MAJOR Announcement next week. Without a doubt, this will be the single most important, game-changing... from our new CEO, James Thornton"

Well, the Super Bowl is next Sunday. Maybe Victoria 5 is gonna do the halftime show. :p 

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 11:03 PM

file_478035.jpg

I hacked into Daz' super secret data vault-and was able to extract this video still before they shut me down....

Paloth ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 11:25 PM

Free cloud computing access to Daz Studio program and purchased content for your convenience and to allow Daz to better understand how you use their products. In this age of inexpensive hard drives, why own one when you can do the same thing with a ton of bandwidth?

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

Andrew_DEC ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 11:55 PM

Quote - In this age of inexpensive hard drives, why own one when you can do the same thing with a ton of bandwidth?

Argh!  Laughed so hard I pulled my back... again! 

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 11:59 PM

I tend to agree with the "Yawn".  OR maybe the "Hype to Hype".  But I'm not looking for anything that will really do anything earth shattering. 

Going to do something sensible, go to bed.

D.

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 1:18 AM

They bought Canoma. Poser's long lost cousin will see the light of day again.

They bought Kodak.

A Kinect 3D Body scanner.

DAZ Studio becomes open source. 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

prixat ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 3:24 AM

DAZ to be known henceforth as:

P DIZZY

regards
prixat

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 8:46 AM

LOL

Laurie

cspear ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 9:20 AM

I love guessing games. Here are my top 5:

1. A merger with / takeover of some company I've never heard of

2. The best features of D|S, Bryce, Hexagon and Carrara all rolled up into one program

3. Something to do with gaming, social networking, iPads, tablets and / or the cloud

4. A plugin / script to import Genesis into Poser

5. Splitting DAZ into two entities: one for software development, the other for content creation and selling

It will be interesting to see what their interpretation of 'game changing' turns out to be.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 9:24 AM

Quote -
DAZ Studio becomes open source. 

Well, they did have a thread about the possibility of making a Linux port...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 10:15 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

I know what it is...

From our earliest days since our split from Zygote to the present we have been learning.   The main thing we have learned, above and beyond all else, is that you lot are a bunch of miserable, whiny, self absorbed ungrateful bastards.  We can't seem to do anything right.  Fuck, even when we give our stuff away you complain.  When we update and innovate we get pages and pages of bickering, arguments and fighting.

Quite frankly, we are heartily sick of it so we're saying 'Fuck it', shutting up shop and going fishing.  You're on your own. 

My Store

My Gallery

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 10:40 AM

Quote - I know what it is...

From our earliest days since our split from Zygote to the present we have been learning.   The main thing we have learned, above and beyond all else, is that you lot are a bunch of miserable, whiny, self absorbed ungrateful bastards.  We can't seem to do anything right.  Fuck, even when we give our stuff away you complain.  When we update and innovate we get pages and pages of bickering, arguments and fighting.

Quite frankly, we are heartily sick of it so we're saying 'Fuck it', shutting up shop and going fishing.  You're on your own. 

That was actually close to my first thought. Although more nicely worded. I must say judging from the ongoing discussion here and on Daz, the hype has drawn a lot of interest. Can't say Daz does everything wrong.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:03 AM

ha-ha-

That is all they are good at: "Creating hypes."

Meshbox ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:06 AM

My guess is acquisition of the graphics division from Smith Micro - Poser, Anime Studio, the works.

Best regards,

chikako
Meshbox Design | 3D Models You Want

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.