Sun, Sep 22, 6:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Question about the Marketplace

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 1:59 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 6:21 AM

Every time I check out what's new or hot, there's always 500+ pages worth of content to sift through, and I only click 8 or 9 before getting bored and leaving .  Is there really that much new content being added so often, or are my cookies just not in sync with the site?

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 2:19 AM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 2:21 AM

I think there is that much content. Been a thorn in my side for years for the very reason you just gave. You have something hit the store and in a day (sometimes hours) it's buried. Kinda ridiculous. I don't think I'm the only one that thinks so ;).

The actual amount of content is probably anywhere from 2 to 4 or 5 pages a day. It's just that it shows ALL the pages, but only the first few are new stuff. Maybe they should put the what's new as ONLY the stuff that's new that day or that week and no other links. Same with What's Hot. I guess it can be confusing ;).

Laurie

mrmagic333 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 3:10 AM

i just check the first 5 or 6 items on the front page, if i see them from yesterday then I assume there's nothing new....

Tools: Poser Pro 2012 64 Bit + Visa/Paypal

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 7:31 AM

That's what I do as well. Check everyday. Not more than a page or two.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

imax24 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:06 PM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:08 PM

It's both a blessing and a curse that new stuff gets pushed out of the limelight so quickly. Blessing, because it means we have a thriving community of content creators. A curse, because it means a vendor's new product gets shoved off to Page 2 and beyond so quickly, and a shopper might miss it if they aren't checking every day or even twice a day..

But I don't know what the solution is. Any change I can imagine is no better than the current system. Force visitors to see 200 items per page? They'll either be too small or require too much scrolling, defeating the purpose. Slow the appearance of new items? Very quickly that would result in a huge backlog. Already we're seeing some holiday goods hit the marketplace days AFTER the holiday passes.

I'm guessing they considered all options and chose the best one.

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:12 PM

I'd like to see the page links labeled by date as apposed to page number.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:27 PM

How about "What's new and not crap"

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Nyghtfall ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:39 PM

Quote - How about "What's new and not crap"

There ya go!  LOL!

imax24 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:41 PM

I'm all for that filter. :laugh:

But I wouldn't want to be the Rendo staffer who decides what's crap and what isn't.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:43 PM

It's simple - on each login, you are presented with an item at random. You are asked "Crap or not crap?" You answer, anonymously.

On each day, the items are sorted by crap votes. The bottom half are deemed crap, by definition.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

imax24 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 6:53 PM

OK, but if I'm sick to death of faerie costumes I might label it crap, even if well-made and priced right. Someone else might diss any sort of skimpwear, or Genesis products, whatever else they feel like slamming. It's all personal taste, isn't it?  

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 7:57 PM

I would like to see filters like "new since your last log in" or even filters like they have in the DAZ store.  Now I go here and there almost everyday and I just kind of get lost in all the stuff.  Maybe a date sort function.  That would also be nice in the free stuff area b/c that's a lot of diggin in there too at time.  I sometimes miss stuff b/c I wasn't paying attention or it doesn't show up.  They have made some improvements to the front page and all with the flashy banner and that helps and the "what's hot", but there is a LOT of stuff to go through.  Time you could spend rendering ;0)

moriador ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 9:17 PM

I would like to see some sort of keyword search function, exactly as you see at stock photography sites.

That way, if I'm looking for some leather armor for V3, I can input and not be presented with every single leather string bikini ever made.

Does require some MP control, though, to make sure keywords are appropriately added by vendors (and prevent spamming). But works great on other sites.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 10:06 PM

Too subjective plus I'm guessing too many people would be willing to "not crap" anything and everything.  

IMO the best thing to do would be for what's new to prioritize your favorite artists and artists who have less than so many submissions or so many sales.  I'd suggest avoiding popular artists being prioritized if it wasn't a person's favorite to prevent the pootan effect from kicking in.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2012 at 10:07 PM · edited Sun, 29 January 2012 at 10:09 PM

That should knock it down to just a few items :P

OMG...don't everyone jump on me and kill me....lol. If it helps I think my own stuff is crap...lmao.

Laurie

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 6:52 AM · edited Mon, 30 January 2012 at 6:54 AM

Quote - OK, but if I'm sick to death of faerie costumes I might label it crap, even if well-made and priced right. Someone else might diss any sort of skimpwear, or Genesis products, whatever else they feel like slamming. It's all personal taste, isn't it?  

Yes it but when you are in the minority, your personal view is canceled. Read what I said. It would take more than half the community (chosen at random) to agree that we've had enough faerie costumes, and that isn't going to happen, even if 200 of you automatically think they're crap.

Personally, although I never render that sort of thing, if I saw a well made set of wings or whatever, I would not vote it as crap.

And it's not like people with an axe to grind get to vote more. This could not be swayed the way the art charts are. Each item would get equal and random exposure. If 300 people vote on an item, and 200 say it is crap, I can guaran-damn-tee you it is crap.

Remember, too, this is not the only way to see things. You can search by genre, artist, popularity, or what's new, too.

Me - I would always click on "what's new and not crap".

KimberlyC ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:56 AM · edited Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:56 AM

Quote - > Quote - How about "What's new and not crap"

That should knock it down to just a few items :P

OMG...don't everyone jump on me and kill me....lol. If it helps I think my own stuff is crap...lmao.

Laurie

:lol: It is not!!

On the other hand, the products are like art I like to think. What "you" dont like, others do.  There are many reasons why the "best" sellers are there, one because their products are well liked. Please keep in mind when you say "crap" regarding products. Many of the vendors spend a lot of time working on their products. I'm sure you all wouldn't like someone calling something that you spend hours on crap.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 12:19 PM

It seems some people like to interpret things in a convenient way, not necessarily what I said.

If I see polygon hair with a 60 degree bend occupied by only 3 polygons, that's crap, and you know it. That was an example of something I saw in the first page of what's new yesterday. That is not art, it is CG laziness and lack of knowledge, and I don't want to see that. I would like it if a bunch of people who have some standards would help filter out the crap.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 1:53 PM

Ahhh.. ok. I see your point on that bb. You mean products that are not well made.  Yea, it very well could be a lack of knowledge etc. We all have to start somewhere.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 5:22 PM
Site Admin

If there are 5 pages of new stuff added a day, with the site being over ten years old, that's truck loads of stuff. (I'm not doing the math) why do we see the same 3 slutwear ads all the time? Shouldn't we see aleast 5?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

moriador ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:13 PM

Anyone can click a button to cast a vote for a whole variety of reasons, including reciprocal voting and so on. You only need to go to the galleries to see how that works: it seems to kill variety in the top ranks. I don't find it useful for finding art I want to look at. I wouldn't find it useful for finding products I want to buy.

I think the most valid vote is the one you cast with your wallet.

We already have a "what's hot" category. But a best sellers list that filters out reasonably old content but extends in time a bit longer than the "what's hot" category might be quite useful.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:42 PM

My trick is every time I make a purchase I log into a text file the first item and the second item's description in the store and the date. Then when I travel on business like this Thursday for 3 and a half weeks, and on a BB defined (crap) connection, if and when I can get here I put the first item in the FireFox find and start working my way backwards till I find the logged item from my last purchase. The icons are good enough that I look at a page starting at the bottem and start clicking away opening a new tab of the items on that page that either by title, icon or artist interest me. Then I review the tabs I open and either purchase what I want or dismiss-close the tab. Eventually I work my way back to the front page. Just have to be careful to jump back and forth from say page 4 to page 3 and back to 4, to see if anything new was added while I was reviewing the open tabs, which can happen.

Not what you are looking for. But a sure fire way to not miss anything.

The reason I log two items is becuase before when I only logged one item and the vendor removed it for some reason, I can still find the last item I viewed by using firefox search using the second logged item if I can't find the first, whereas before I couldn't

But if you have items you are looking for, for a given project(s), have favorite vendors and vendors you don't want to purchase from. or couldn't care for say any Genesis items as an example, it is easy to scan the desciptions and icons and figure out whta is what pretty quickly.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 6:30 AM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 6:31 AM

Quote - Anyone can click a button to cast a vote for a whole variety of reasons, including reciprocal voting and so on.

Yet another opinion responding after not understanding what I said. I didn't say you get to pick what you vote on. I said the opposite. You are presented with an item at random. How do you manage reciprocal voting then?

Quote -  You only need to go to the galleries to see how that works: it seems to kill variety in the top ranks. I don't find it useful for finding art I want to look at. I wouldn't find it useful for finding products I want to buy.

Nor would a slap on the head be useful, and it's just as much not what I said.

Quote - I think the most valid vote is the one you cast with your wallet.

You're missing the point. I have gift certificates to use, but I can't find anything I want to buy because it is too tedious to click past pages and pages of crap. I bought one thing in the last year, and that was because I saw people rendering with it in the forum, not because I saw it in "What's new surrounded by crap".

Quote - We already have a "what's hot" category. But a best sellers list that filters out reasonably old content but extends in time a bit longer than the "what's hot" category might be quite useful.

That would be useful too. I need somebody to filter the crap out. The ratio of crap to not crap looks like 10 to 1. Of the good stuff (what's hot), a lot of it is old - saw it already  - don't want it.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 10:49 AM

sort by popularity?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:11 AM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:12 AM

man, if a materials set came out optimized for PP12,

i'd be all over it like Garfield on lasagna.

food procedurals - like powdered donut, beer head,

and a metal or stone or two,

😉 

hematite, lapis lazuli, sandstone (quartz family), tiger eye

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MacMyers ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:30 AM

I think I have a (Bat) Man Crush on BB.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.